Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gaming Status
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:14 am 

Splatoon's online is pretty neat. I need to start doing more team battles with RL friends to get used to the stuff more...I also joined the Pokken bandwagon after finding a lovely deal on it and getting some free stuff with it today. Can't blame B and company. though I can't not see Sandra as Weavile.... I got Twilight Princess HD as well, haven't really gotten too far due to deciding to finish up a ton of games over spring break, new and old but it's nice. I wish it fixed a bit more but it's a lovely update. I found a copy of Resident Evil Revelations for 3DS in a store while heading out, picked it up and it's nifty. Not too special but still cool.

To be honest I don't think Color Splash will be that bad. But that's only because people are saying it'll be Federation Force levels of bad...no! Even though Color Splash lacks the mainstrays like loveable partners, it won't be that bad. I might try to pick up Sticker Star since I've seen it so dirt cheap, I'm just not having high expectations. Similar to B and TTYD right now, I have the same mindset with Metroid though in light of Federation Force, since I picked up a few copies of the Prime games since I found them real cheap and wanted to see what was changed between the Trilogy pack and original copies. Prime 2's difficulty was totally scaled back in some fights, I can see that, and Prime only just feels different due to controls, not much else. Prime 3 I only noticed they censored Admiral Dane saying 'damn!' which is...hilarious. Oh Nintendo, you amuse me so.

I browsed a retro store near me and picked up Mega Man X7, and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. Haven't played X7, but Amazing Mirror is kind of neat, feels like Metroidvania and Kirby, interesting! I need to finish up the other Mega Man X games since I'm only now finally finishing up the classic games after marathoning with a friend. Lastly, due to some Amazon deals, I found Rayman Origins and Legends and got them for pretty cheap. Loving Origins, and expecting some of the same quality with Legends when I reach that.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:05 am 

Well, I completed the main scenario for Heavensward by beating the Knights of the Round. Now to unlock content, gear up, and eventually try my hand at Alexander. That should keep me busy until Dark Souls III comes out next month.

I'm so disappointed that you can't actually get King Thordan's sword, though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:58 pm 

Image Okay, so I am now completely done the Single Player stuff in Pokkén. The so-called Grand Champion has been defeated and I am the best in the Ferrum League.

...And I feel like I've really learned nothing because when I get online, at a mere rank E3, I get my head handed to me. The problem is I just can't set my mind up to string stuff together. It's like, I know what needs to be done and what buttons I need to press ("Okay, got Sunny Day, now I just have to Y Y Y Forward A, wait, up X A and it'll Phase Shift") and can pull it off quite easily in Practice Mode, but once in a real fight, I just completely black out.

How do the "real fighting game" guys do it? Pokkén is by far the least complex I've played and I still keep going back to my old main stay of "spam same attack and hope it hits" mentality.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:41 pm 

Image Ninty's got a small sale going on, so I took a look through the list and decided to grab Konami Krazy Racers for GBA VC. It's actually pretty alright and makes me miss the days when Konami was pretty cool. Actually came out before Mario Kart: Super Circuit. My go-to character was Nyami from Pop'n Music (though I was sorta tempted by that incredibly cartoonish version of Dracula from Castlevania). Honestly, I prefer the graphics of this over Super Circuit. The latter felt too washed out. With that said, I'm not sure if the track design is as good and there doesn't appear to be any special skills (power sliding, snaking, etc.) involved here, so it was much simpler to get through and unlock everything (four hidden characters).

It was harmless enough. I enjoyed it. I definitely had to let out a big smile though when I heard Beginning from Dracula's Curse playing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:33 pm 

DARK SOULS III, !#%$!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:27 pm 

FSLAR wrote:
To be honest I don't think Color Splash will be that bad. But that's only because people are saying it'll be Federation Force levels of bad...no! Even though Color Splash lacks the mainstrays like loveable partners, it won't be that bad.

And you say this with certainty that Federation Force will be bad... Look, I know it's not the Metroid game you were hoping for, but at least it has the advantage of--and I feel it must be re-stated--being a spin-off. That means it can be whatever it wants to be and we don't have to worry that it will be the face of Metroid from now on.

Color Splash, though... I don't know, man. It feels like the series is going in this direction started by Sticker Star, and I don't like it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:08 pm 

Pikmanipulator wrote:
FSLAR wrote:
To be honest I don't think Color Splash will be that bad. But that's only because people are saying it'll be Federation Force levels of bad...no! Even though Color Splash lacks the mainstrays like loveable partners, it won't be that bad.

And you say this with certainty that Federation Force will be bad... Look, I know it's not the Metroid game you were hoping for, but at least it has the advantage of--and I feel it must be re-stated--being a spin-off. That means it can be whatever it wants to be and we don't have to worry that it will be the face of Metroid from now on.

Color Splash, though... I don't know, man. It feels like the series is going in this direction started by Sticker Star, and I don't like it.
Except I didn't say anything about how I feel about Federation Force there with certainty. I said Color Splash won't be as bad as people say, and that they compared it to Federation Force in terms of how bad it could be in their eyes. That's all.

You can keep saying that it's a spin off, but you have to realize a few things. The fact that it's been 6 years since a Metroid game, which was Other M and divided the fanbase up. The last time we had a good Metroid game was Metroid Prime 3 Corruption, 9 years ago. And you have to realize that Nintendo hasn't really said much on the rest of the franchise. More importantly, being a spin off is no excuse for being a bad game, assuming Federation Force turns out bad. Sonic Boom was critically panned and no one gave it a pass for being a spin off. That spin off series has people still worried about the Sonic franchise as a whole.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:52 am 

Image Well, FSLAR already said all I wanted to, but just wanna get in a few more cents into the conversation.

Federation Force could be fine. It very well could be a fine spin-off. It's being developed by Next Level Games and they have a proven track record of delivery stellar titles (Mario Strikers, Punch-Out!!, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon) so I have faith in them. The problem everyone has, as pointed out, is the fact that it has been way too long since a traditional Metroid game, even longer since a good traditional Metroid game (and even then, I'm not really huge on Corruption, but it's acceptable).

Had Federation Force been announced alongside, say, another Retro developed Metroid game (they certainly left a big opening at the end of Corruption if you got 100%), the backlash wouldn't be anywhere near as bad. Imagine if this was what happened to Zelda instead. Imagine if the last Zelda game we got was Phantom Hourglass. While it has its fans, I can safely say that the majority didn't like it that much, thanks to the touch controls and, more importantly, that stupid Temple of the Ocean King. Now imagine there was no Skyward Sword, no Link Between Worlds, no HD remakes, no Spirit Tracks, no Hyrule Warriors, and most importantly, no announcement for a new Zelda game for Wii U this year. But then, all of a sudden, we get an announcement for a brand new Zelda game...that's multiplayer focused. It's called Triforce Heroes.

Zelda fans would have been furious. However, unlike Metroid fans, they have something to hold onto. Not only do they have a selection of other, relatively new games to play (ALBW in particular is very well regarded), but they have something else to look forward to, so Triforce Heroes is a drop in the bucket to them. Zelda games come in a variety of qualities. Nobody cares about Link's Crossbow Training despite that being very much not what Zelda is about in the slightest because it's not worth talking about. It's a footnote in history and we move on.

But Metroid? We haven't been this starved for a new, traditional game since the N64 era passed us by. In fact, if we do exclude Other M, due to its bad aftertaste, it's been even longer than the time between Super and Prime/Fusion.

I will agree, it isn't really fair to judge Federation Force before it even comes out, but Nintendo should have probably anticipated something like this. Really, there were two ways they could have salvaged this: 1. Either announce another traditional Metroid title is in the works; or 2. Don't call it Metroid Prime: Federation Force. If it had no connection at all to Metroid, nobody would bat an eye, and instead would be seen as a simple multiplayer game for 3DS that may or may not be what they want. But since we are in this situation, Nintendo's YouTube account now preemptively disables the Like/Dislike bar and comments because they know it's not going to be received well. Even Bill Trinen in the last Direct coyly admitted that the game's showing was rather poor by saying people had "a lot of questions" about it (though he never went into detail what those questions were, which were probably variations of "Where's the REAL Metroid game?").

Hope that earns a better understanding now. For the record, I have no interest in the title, less so because it's not real Metroid but more so because it's a shooter on the 3DS and that just sounds painful to play. Probably not as bad as Kid Icarus: Uprising, but still not looking to try this anytime soon. But that's more than can be said about Color Splash, which I really do despise for existing because, of what was shown in its trailers, it really does look like nothing more than Sticker Star 2. And Sticker Star was probably the very first Mario game I ever just put away after a simple hour of play. Not just Paper Mario, just Mario in general. Its gameplay bothered me that much! And since Color Splash is basically more of the same (just replace stickers with color), count me out!

--------------------------------------

Anyroad, might as well take this time to discuss what I'm up to:

-All this Metroid talk made me remember that I picked up Super Metroid on New 3DS and it looks really nice on it. Beat it 100% in 2:29, though I know I could've been faster (I forgot there's nothing east of the Wrecked Ship). Tried out the True Pixel Mode as well and it actually does look a lot better (the text isn't stretched out anymore) and it looks like how I imagine Sakamoto and Yokoi originally intended it to look like. Of course, the truly mind blowing thing about it is I was playing Super Metroid on a handheld! It's literally a dream come true!

-And on the Pokémon side of things, I decided to do something fun: Go through a game with nothing but Eeveelutions. I decided on my copy of Pearl because 1) It let me have a full team of 6 different kinds, 2) It isn't too recent, being a Gen IV game, and 3) all of Gen V's games make you get the first badge and the C-Gear before you can trade, whereas most other games let you trade basically as soon as you get your second Pokémon, give or take a few exceptions. I've gotten 7 badges and stopped Team Galactic and caught Palkia so far, and honestly, Gen IV is better than I remember it being. Or maybe it's just because Gen VI didn't impress me all that much compared to Gen V...? It's still a slow game overall. As for the Eeveelution team, proving to be pretty fun but not all that challenging. It at least let me view them all individually to see where they stand out and such. Leafeon has turned out much better than I expected but I'm having a hard time finding a place for Umbreon (it's supposed to be bulky, but Vaporeon seems to be the better choice for tanking hits). Not using Flareon because, really, who in their right mind would use Flareon for anything?

-Still playing Pokkén on and off as well. This really is the fighting game for me. Hit E1 recently and now have 20 online battles under my belt out of about 34 or so. The matchmaking could use a bit of fixing though; I've fought against people that can utterly destroy me, but I've also fought against people that were 100% new and I ended up feeling guilty afterwards. Still need to play with friends, but I've been so busy this last month that it's been difficult to find time...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:22 am 

Yeah I really have to reiterate: spin offs are no excuse for anything bad. Period. When a spin off is not fun, and/or has flaws, there is no excuse, like Mario Tennis Ultra Smash's lack of content. That's almost as bad as people still trying to defend Sonic 2006 due to being rushed and unfinished, along with those same claims on Sonic Boom. Now if a spin off does something else like change characters or something like that but this doesn't effect the gameplay, that's another story. Federation Force still could be fine, as B said but his points do still stand. I'm mixed on Phantom Hourglass so I agree there. And I'm not a fan of how Nintendo is treating all this about Federation Force...disabling comments, likes/dislikes and admitting the reception is poor.

I'm not picking up Federation Force anytime soon but that's honestly because I have enough on my plate at the moment and I usually only buy games on release if there's a deal, a special edition, or I'm that dedicated - deals like what I got on Pokken Tournament, special editions like Fire Emblem Fates (I'm only just finishing up Birthright...jeeze, gonna take me the next year to finish Conquest and Revelation) and dedication like the new Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted 4. I didn't pick up Paper Jam yet, and not sure about getting the new Kirby even though I've been on a Kirby binge lately, only cause money and backlog. 3DS shooters though aren't bad to me, fore the record. Paper Mario though...I still need to get Sticker Star, but I believe I tried it once and something didn't click. All I want in Color Splash is partners back - Super Paper Mario's pixls did not leave a good impression on me though I do think that was justified with having Mario, Peach, Bowser and Luigi.

On B's next notion of general Nintendo, Super Metroid's on the 3DS Virtual Console now? omg I need to pick that up now. And I can agree on that notion of handheld Super Metroid! Oh the possibilities...glorious. That's how I felt about Ocarina of Time 3D. Though this reminds me I need to finish up my copy of Metroid Prime 3 Corruption now....and pick up Generation I on my 3DS.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:21 pm 

Image Gosh, Ultra Smash really seemed like it was sent out to die, didn't it? What happened to Camelot lately? Ever since Dark Dawn floundered out, they've had trouble really making anything stellar lately. I guess the 3DS Mario Golf was alright, but besides that? Eh...

And man, if one of your disappointments about Super Paper Mario was its lack of any real partners (it's one of mine too, honestly, I agree on the Pixls being really meh), get ready to feel disappointed. If Sticker Star is anything to go by, Color Splash's only partner is going to be that floating paint bucket we saw in the trailer and it'll be nothing but exposition! Oh, lordy, did I despise Kersti (your "partner" in Sticker Star)! She is, like, the exact opposite of Fi from Skyward Sword, but in the worst possible way. She constantly talks down to you, doesn't provide any really useful abilities, and worse of all, when you actually want her advice, she is so incredibly vague you might as well not even had bother. I guess you can give Sticker Star a go if you can find it cheap, but I advise you, keep those expectations super low. It's regarded as the worst Paper Mario for a very solid reason.

As for Paper Jam, never got around to it and, honestly, don't really feel much interest in trying simply because they completely underutilized the crossover potential. I saw a Miiverse drawing that perfectly showcased what was wrong with this game: It was a drawing of Fawful and Rawk Hawk looking at the 3DS and wondering when they are going to make their cameos. This has been really bugging me lately, at least about Paper Mario. The unique and original characters are all but forgotten now, and with Paper Jam, it seems to be seeping into Mario & Luigi as well since, from all the preview builds I saw, virtually no original characters were used. Not even established Mario & Luigi races like the Beanish or Blockheads were involved. I certainly hope this was just a one-time thing and the next pure Mario & Luigi title will go back to having a unique cast of characters (if not as entertaining as early Paper Mario's). AlphaDream seems less likely to budge to Miyamoto's "words of wisdom" in the same way Intelligent Systems did.

*sigh* At this point, I'd even settle for just an HD remake of Thousand-Year Door. It doesn't need one, mind you, it still looks fantastic even 12 years later, but the new generation of fans deserve to play what is easily one of the greatest RPGs of all time.

But yes, Super Metroid is on New 3DS now. Needed to emphasis the =New= part since, like all SNES VC titles, it can't be played on the OG 3DS. However, I recall you stating you played Xenoblade 3D, which is also New exclusive, so you should be fine, and it was such a joy to experience again, no matter where I was. I only wish Ninty would finally incorporate some form of cross-buy already. I justified this one because Super was 30 cents during its Famicom anniversary so it didn't seem like that big a deal. Other than that, only other one I got was EarthBound since it's going to take something really special to purchase the same game again.

Ah yes, Gen I. Forgot I was also playing that. Sorta stopped at Cinnabar Island before getting the 7th Badge. Team was Venusaur, Persian, Ninetales, Sandslash, Jolteon, and Lapras. Only really wanted to play to test out the Mew Glitch (report: It still works).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:51 pm 

Yeah, that was so weird. A distinct lack of content compared to its predecessors...can't be a rush job if it's relatively glitch free.

And yeah, among my issues on Super Paper Mario, which is otherwise fine, the lack of partners was a big one. They just talk once and while amusing, that's it. The abilities were novel though. But if Color Splash has a character the opposite of Fi....oh god. Dear lord. I can find Sticker Star for like $20 new, so it won't be hard but my expectations will be low. That may have been why Super Paper Mario didn't wow me.

Paper Jam's cross over potential was a criticism among my friends, that is something that hyped me up too...didn't deliver. Where the hell was Paper Luigi? It's strange that it underutilized not just Paper Mario character but also Mario and Luigi ones, now that you mention it. Maybe this is a one time thing since for four games, the Mario and Luigi series has been relatively consistent. A few things here and there were questionable, but the games were still enjoyable. HD Thousand Year Door would be great, I feel that game still holds up all around. I dunno, I wanna hear Nintendo's thoughts on the future. That said, the one issue with Color Splash is that it's release isn't too far off, so we don't know if they could listen to fans and change it in time.

I do have a New Nintendo 3DS, yeah. I got the Hyrule Edition last holiday for Xenoblade 3D, Hyrule Warriors Legends and other potential games plus amiibo support. Being able to play SNES VC games should be neat, not bad. As for cross buy...yeah Nintendo needs to do that, along with fixing some of its pricing shenanigans. E.g. never lowering prices on games. Super Mario 3D Land has no business being $30. I love how Sony allows you to buy PSone Classics and they can be used on the PS3, PS4, PSP And PS Vita!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:45 pm 

Image Just a heads up for those with a Wii U...

You can play the console version of Xenoblade Chronicles now without paying GameStop's ludicrous prices.

Figured it's worth mentioning so more people can play it. It's that good!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:59 pm 

Image Played through Stories: The Path of Destinies. Neat little action game with a very Bastion style to it. You run around an isometric plain with a narrator retelling your exploits to the audience, etc. Should sound familiar.

The twist here is in the name: The Path of Destinies. The game boasts to have 24 different endings, and it isn't kidding. The whole point is that our protagonist, Reynardo the sky pirate fox, comes across this mystical book in the middle of a battle between an evil Emperor and the Rebels. However, by playing the game and making various different multiple choice paths throughout each chapter (a grand total of 5 per playthrough) you'll eventually reach an ending that...doesn't go well for our hero of the story (he usually dies a very painful, gruesome death). But afterwards, you get shot back to the beginning, the narrator explaining that the events didn't actually happen, even though it felt real. On top of that, you end up learning what are known as "truths" about the world around you via these different endings, which actually change what the narrator says in certain parts, painting a broader picture of what's really going on as you ultimately try to find that one ending that ends with Reynardo escaping with his life and, hopefully, the Emperor going down as well.

It takes a minimum of 5 plyathroughs just to get to this ending, though, but not to worry. At just 5 chapters per playthrough, it isn't very long, and as soon as I saw an ending, I was ready to try again and choose a different path. While some paths have some similar vibes to them as well as the same areas, each story that is told is wholly unique. What happens to Reynardo by the end of the story will be quite different from the last. One might end with decapitation, another falling for a trap, and even bringing about the end of the universe!

Had a great time myself. Took roughly 4 hours to get that golden ending. The fact it was Canadian made didn't hurt things either.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:03 pm 

Yes, I got the platinum trophy in Dark Souls 3.

No, I'm not done playing.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:28 pm 

Image Worth it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:47 am 

Image Been giving Stellaris a shot. I'm digging it so far. Got a peaceful empire of nomadic desert foxes exploring the galaxy right now, though we did have to deal with some cultists who weren't exactly the happiest about all this. Though the ringleader met quite an anti-climatic end: I sent several fleets of Corvettes after her giant destroyer, she was all "I will destroy your pathetic fleet and take control of the monarchy" but then, as it turns out, she had entered colonized space of a Fallen Empire. As a peaceful nation, we were forced to retreat so not to upset them...and then we learned that her ship got blasted by them after we left. Welp.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:49 pm 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
Got Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir. If anyone wanted to play Odin Sphere, but disliked it's clunkiness, this alleviates it greatly. Combat is much faster, and there is little to no lag. Also a lot of the assets have been redrawn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:45 pm 

Kinda burned out on Dark Souls right now, but at the same time, I just can't get enough, so I'm playing Salt and Sanctuary instead. Hoping I can find a greatsword soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:09 pm 

I have to return to Dark Souls soon...though I did splurge on a lot lately due to random sales/finds, stemming back from months ago usually.

DmC: Devil May Cry Definitive Edition which I found actually pretty good, laughable story and edge aside. Resident Evil 6 Remaster should be...amusing, oh dear me.

I picked up Dark Souls, Dark Souls II Scholar of the Lost Sin and Bloodborne due to impulse and huge savings. Liking the first, until I die anyway.

Picked up the Pikmin trilogy, and loving using those creatures to conquest everything! Also found a copy of Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn in a Gamestop after using some stuff to save funds on it, seems ok but almost feels like an expansion pack to Path of Radiance instead of a sequel. Mostly since I finished Birthright back in April and after starting Conquest, I figured I might as well finish up Ike's story. If he even plays a big enough role in this...

Got Uncharted 4 Libertalia Collector's Edition last month, and loved every moment of it. Oh Naughty Dog, you just get me on so many levels...that crash bandicoot cameo is the stuff of dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:39 pm 

LIST OF GAMES I GOTTA GET:
-Splatoon
-Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
-DARK SOULS
-Final Fantasy V
-Phoenix Wright Collection

List of games I wanna BEAT:
-Dragon Quest II
-Dragon Quest III
-Dragon Quest IV
-CladunX2
-Skyrim
-Disgaea D2

I need more Stebs to help with this.

WHAT'S WORSE; A LOTTA THESE GAMES REQUIRE HEAVY TIME INVESTMENTS. I CAN'T LET THIS BREAK GO BY WITHOUT FINISHIN' A BUTTLOAD OF GAMES AND NON-GAME STUFF.

I WISH I DIDN'T NEED SLEEP...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:50 am 

Image Finally giving Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time an honest try after having it sit in my Steam Library for so long, so apologies to Elby after gifting that to me and not using it until now.

I'm still fairly early but it feels super charming so far with some really cool parkour elements. However, I am running into a few issues on this PC right now that I hope to iron out soon (I had to turn off the Fog just to be able to see the game). Ahh, that UbiSoft polish, am I right?

I really like it though, despite the issues. I got a good giggle the first time I died and heard "No no no, that's not what happened," since our hero is also the narrator so of course he can't be dead.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:16 pm 

Haha, Ubisoft games on PC...never, NEVER again. >.> They may look the part, but they don't really play well, unless it's a Tom Clancy game for some reason. They handled the original RE4 PC port, and that was pitiful.

But took you long enough! The Sands of Time, really that whole trilogy, is a marvel, one of those gems people overlook. Man I want a new game so badly...but since Assassin's Creed is 'a spiritual sequel', probably not. Between the parkour, later improved combat, charm from that story book presentation, it's something I cannot get enough. Throw in some things from my own culture here and there and it was made for me. Also I love how Yuri Lowenthall voiced one of the ancestors in Sly Cooper Thieves in Time and the character was almost an exaggerated version of the Prince, I loved every moment of that.

Oh and B, I'm playing RE6 now. By god this is so laughable, for all the wrong reasons. I have to wonder just why newcomers think this remaster means RE2make will be good, and why trashed RE0. There's....so much still wrong here, jeeze.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:48 pm 

Image Oh, I am fully aware of Ubi's storied history when it comes to PC gaming. But hey, it was a gift so I might as well use it and I did manage to find a few solutions (though I'm still getting really bizarre speed ups and slow downs). Could be worse; I might have to sign into UPlay...

Roughly 50% through it now. I've really come to enjoy the parkour elements, but not so much the combat. Anytime I come across enemies, I always get a sense of "Oh boy, here we go again" feeling and wished I could go back to just jumping about. I'm not sure if it's because it wasn't very refined back then, or if it is because of the jankiness of the PC port, but I'm not a fan of it. Rest feels solid though, lots of nice looking set pieces and good puzzles to solve.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:11 am 

Haha, at least you know. And oh god UPlay...

No, the combat in Sands of Time is not its strong suit. You have neat options like counters, jump, vaulting and the dagger but it is still barebones. Especially if you jump over an enemy and attack > dagger, it almost always instantly takes any sand monster but sometimes you have to be creative with the slow down power. Warrior Within (hence the name) and The two Thrones (my favorite) have far improved combat and powers. The PC ports don't feel right (they're functional though) with the keyboard at all however, try a PS3 controller or Xbox 360 one

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:43 pm 

Image I've been playing with a DS3 the entire time and it functions just fine, thankfully. It's interesting seeing you give props to the sequels since, from what I've read, most have said they wished it stayed with just the first game and ended everything there. But hey, everyone has different opinions. I'll think about it, but it probably won't be PC next time since, even with all the fixes I've done, there are still some issues, which still includes the inconsistent frames (I've tried things such as fiddling with the hardware.ini file and setting so that only one CPU core is running, since both were suggested, but nothing) but the more obnoxious bug right now is that some cutscenes don't play voices. At least I can rewatch what I missed on YouTube to get a better grasp of the story and the evolving characterization of the Prince and Farah.

Well, at 75%, at least I didn't miss this gem:

Spoiler: click to show
Finding my way to the baths from here should be easy. I'll just ask the next sand creature that I see. "Excuse me, could you direct me to the baths, please? Thank you." "Don't mention it, I used to be bath attendant back when I was alive."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next