Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 793 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:47 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
(except Deoxys for some reason)

Probably because *spoilers for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire* Deoxys is obtainable at the end of the Delta Episode.

The Great B-Man wrote:

Next up, because he (and it is a he based on the dorsal fin) wasn't hogging the competitive scene enough in the main series, here's Garchomp! Everybody's favourite banned-from-Gen-IV land shark is ready to rip apart these scrubs and show you the true power of being in the OU tier! He's part of the Power category and can use moves like Sand Tomb and Dragon Rush and can also Mega Evolve.

Wow, a Pokémon I actually thought would be cool for this! (Not that I think any of the others are lame...except Pikachu Libre taking up its own spot...)

The Great B-Man wrote:

And now for one I'm super stoked to see: Braixen, our first Gen VI rep! Suddenly, I now have to decide between two for my main! Unlike most of the fighters in Pokkén, however, Braixen focuses more on range and long distance to deal damage, a sort of keepaway kind of fighter, and has moves such as Fire Blast.

Wow, is this the first not-fully-evolved Pokémon that's in the main roster? Interesting...

The Great B-Man wrote:
Image Well, as I predicted, there was still one more Pokkén character to be revealed, this one coming to arcades (and presumably Wii U). It's our first Gen V rep, but not one I think many of us expected...

Boy, if you thought Suicune was an odd choice, here's Chandelure, a Pokémon with no limbs! Not much is known other than to stay tuned for the 31st for a new trailer showcasing it in action.

Now that I think about it...sure are a lot of Fire Types, isn't there?

Okay, consider me floored. I did not expect this one at all!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:02 pm 

((OOC: Incoming: A B-Man Mystery Dungeon First:

Spoiler: click to show

I 100% a PMD title! Yeah, despite the fact that I constantly like to remind others of my love for the franchise, I never once 100%ed any of the games! I would always set out to try, but then lose interest, mostly due to the RNG with the recruitments. In the previous titles, what Pokémon would join you was left up to chance. After you defeat an enemy Pokémon and they faint, there is a random chance they may decide to join your team. The odds of that happening differ from Pokémon to Pokémon, but at the very least, having a really high level and equipping a specific item (I think it was like Friendship Scarf or something) increased the odds, but your were still at the mercy of the game's random chance. It was a bit of a turn off, especially for Legendaries which usually sat at the bottom of long, hard dungeons and, if they don't want to join you after you beat them, you have to do it all over again.

Super changed that with the Connection Orb. Most Pokémon you recruited involved doing a specific mission for them, which would show up on your Expedition Gadget, be it saving them from a Dungeon, giving them a specific item, fighting a bad Pokémon, or even just flat out chewing the fat with them. There was no random chance. They were all guaranteed to join you. Of course, the downside to that is that they only ever put in just enough for at least one of each type (plus those with gender differences and, at least with Rotom and Unown, those with unique forms), but that didn't really matter to me. I only ever tried to get one of everything in Pokémon games anyway, for the most part, so this just eased the process, hence why I continued to push myself to finish.

But it wasn't just finding the Pokémon. There was also finding different Treasures, which is a quest objective Ampharos gives you after the Epilogue, and even clearing each dungeon at least once is required to fully 100%. The two badges on the screen above is proof I did all of that: The silver one for connecting with all 720 Pokémon, and the gold one for exploring every single dungeon (which, of course, means you would get every single treasure too since they can't be missed).

It feels...strange to say, having finally finished a PMD game to completion. I am satisfied, but also feel kind of sad since it means having to say goodbye to Fara and Chester in the games. But then again, that's where drawing and writing comes into play, doesn't it? I still plan to do more with these new characters that I've grown attached to.

Heck, I might even do comics again, since we haven't seen any of that sort in a long time. I even have some good ideas in my head.

This image makes me feel legit sad.
))

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:17 am 

Image Well lookee here! That Detective Pikachu game is still alive!

Coming soon for 3DS. Like, very soon!

Like...February 3rd soon! At least in Japan.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:11 pm 

Image Hey, new thread title! Approved!

Also, may as well share the trailer. Warning: Contains deep voiced Pikachu.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:17 pm 

Deep voiced Pikachu is the weirdest !#%$. And of course they'd use normal Pikachu at the end for comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:53 pm 

Deep Voice Pikachu is hilarious. I love it for that reason but it's still weird. It's kind of like the doberman from Up lol

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:22 am 

Image Official Detective Pikachu site updated and translations are underway as to just what this game really is. All we knew was that it was a "Cinematic Adventure Game" but more details are coming.

But first, the most important bit:

"Detective Pikachu likes coffee and asks Tim to invite attractive girls over for tea, but is weak around attractive women."

Image Now this is a Pikachu I could get behind! He knows where the goods are.

Image Anyway, there's a few more bits learned:

Remember how, in the anime, it was revealed that Meowth being able to talk resulted in him being "less" of a Pokémon? That is, he was unable to really battle? I know they at least once brought up the question as to why Meowth doesn't just use Pay Day to solve Team Rocket's financial problems and he flat out told them it was because he spent all his effort trying to be a human that he couldn't learn any moves.

Anyway, Pikachu is exactly the same! Because he spent effort to learn to be more human, he can't fight and he isn't as fast as other Pokémon.

(By the by, in case anyone asks, why I can "talk" and use moves is simply because I never had to learn to be human since I already am one. I already know how to type in English, and am translating what everyone else is saying here. Who knows? Maybe I'm not even speaking human and I just don't know it! We've only communicated via forums and messaging services, after all.)

During the game, you play as Tim Goodman (the human protagonist) as you explore the region, searching for clues and interviewing others. Tim is responsible for interviewing people while Pikachu is responsible for interviewing Pokémon. So, for the most part, it's a hidden object/visual novel kind of game. There are some lite QTE events too, such as one that appears when Pikachu is falling out of a tree. Failing the QTE isn't a game over, it just changes how the scene plays out. In this case, if you succeed, Tim successfully catches Pikachu as he falls, but if you fail, Pikachu instead slams into Tim's chest and they both fall to the ground.

It's clear the game is really meant to be "played" so much as "experienced," like most visual novels are. Doesn't sound like it'll be particularly challenging, though if you are having trouble finding clues, eventually Pikachu will spot something and you can tap his icon on the bottom screen for a hint. You solve the crimes based on the evidence you were able to gather.

And there you have it. That's all that's been said so far, but the game's literally a week away so we'll learn more soon enough.

PS. Hearing Pikachu talk so deep, it really makes me want Keith David for the English voice.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:12 am 

Yeah the deep voice is really throwing me off. Meowth's talking voice really does sound like a meowth talking but this kinda just sounds like somebody else entirely.

Oh well. Maybe they didn't want people's ears to bleed from too much high pitched pseudo noir dialog.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:26 am 

Image Have some Chandelure in Pokkén. Comes to arcades this week. Video quality isn't the best (sound is really distorted) but we can at least see it play out.

Also, haven't done this yet before, but here's how each Pokémon announced is categorize:

Standard
Pikachu
Suicune
Blaziken
Lucario
Braixen

Power
Charizard
Machamp
Garchomp
Chandelure

Speed
Pikachu Libra
Sceptile
Weavile

Technique
Gengar
Gardevoir

Unknown
Mewtwo
Shadow Mewtwo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:33 pm 

Image I love this guy. Keep trying, maybe you'll get the ladies to notice you!

Image Actually, as it turns out, I was a bit wrong about earlier. Nobody can understand the detective...except for our human protagonist, Tim Goodman. As it turns out, he came into town looking for his missing father (no, his name is not John) and Detective Pikachu's original owner. I'm guessing there's a connection between the Goodmans and Detective Pikachu that let's them understand each other since Tim can't understand other Pokémon and no one else can understand the detective.

Also learned that it is probably going to be episodic, which I kind of suspected due to its low price point despite what looks to be something with pretty high production values. Their adventures aren't over yet.

But boy, it sure gets dark!

...Okay, that's actually just a tomato, but the image really got me first time.

The opening where we find out Tim's dad is in a car accident with Pikachu, however, isn't quite as happy...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:20 pm 

Image Small Pokkén update. So we all know that the game supports amiibo as evident by the fact that the Shadow Mewtwo card lets you unlock the character right away as opposed to doing it the old fashioned way.

But now we know that it'll use all other existing amiibo as well to unlock some items. What these items are, we are not sure as of yet, but allegedly, every amiibo that exists should work, not just Pokémon ones. It sounds like a Hyrule Warriors case. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a daily limit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:25 am 

Image Mystery Dungeon is coming to Virtual Console guys! Specifically, Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team.

Image In all honesty, I don't think the Rescue Team games have aged quite as well as Explorers has, but they're fine enough. They definitely have the most post-game stuff of every game, however. They don't really tie together well with the story, but at least there's some semblance of plot in the Rescue Team post game dungeons, as opposed to the recent 3DS outings.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:30 am 

Image More Pokkén coming in! This time focusing more on the Wii U version of the game.

First, let's talk Wii U Exclusive Modes, some of which are standard fare for any Fighting Game (ask Azure for more details on that):

You've got Practice, which let's you engage in combat and, well, practice your combos and strings together without any time limit or health bar to worry about. I imagine the AI can be customized to suit your needs as well.

Free Training mode, which I imagine just let's you fight a battle against an AI opponent of your choosing. Again, standard fare. I assume you also still get your training points (which is used to level up Pokémon) in this mode as well.

Combo Dojo is almost a tutorial in a way for newcomers where you can learn how to string various different combos together for different Pokémon. Will probably be much less complicated than most fighting games that do these things due to Pokkén being much simpler than mixing in your "mid-low kick into a high punch" or whatever terminology is used in those games.

The Ferrum League is the actual single-player campaign mode exclusive to the Wii U version. This is where you battle a designated set of Trainers (and probably how you'll unlock Shadow Mewtwo without the amiibo) as you climb the ranks to master trainer. Beating the stages unlocks more Support Pokémon to use as well as more stages to play on. There are four ranks in the league, from lowest to highest: Green, Blue, Red, and Chrome. As the name implies, it takes place in the Ferrum Region, where people and their Pokémon are linked via Resonance Stones. As the campaign progresses, you'll meet various different characters, such as Nia, a Weavile trainer who helps guide you around the region, Travis the Garchomp Trainer, Keith the Suicune Trainer, and Erin the Braixen Trainer.

There's also My Town, which lets you freely customize your trainer, including gender, hair style, skin colour, and others. You can get more options for accessories and clothing by spending PokéGold, which I assume you get by playing matches both online and offline.

Finally, we have three new sets of Support Pokémon: Cubone & Diglett, Magneton & Quagsire, and Espeon & Umbreon.

Cubone will use Bonemerang, which launches at the opponent and can hit multiple times before returning to you.
Diglett will Dig underground and make it easier to link combos together.

Magneton uses Tri Attack, an attack that aims upward and lowers the opponent's Speed & Attack. Good for really jumpy opponents.
Quagsire uses Mud Bomb, which opposite of Tri Attack, focuses on those who stay close to the ground instead. It can damage the opponent, even when guarding.

Espeon will use Morning Sun, removing all status effects and healing your HP. The less time is left on the clock, the more it heals.
Umbreon uses Snarl, which sucks up the opponents Resonance Guage (the meter that can Mega Evolve) and also prevents them from landing a Critical Hit (which I didn't even know was in the game until now).

Travis, Keith, Erin

My Home

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:22 pm 

Image English preview event recently happened and the embargo's been lifted about the Wii U version of Pokkén Tournament. Places such as GameXplain are posting their stuff now as I type.

Some things to take away:

-Full Character Select Screen on Wii U version has every revealed character shown off minus regular Mewtwo, who I assume is an unlockable much like Shadow Mewtwo. On top of that, there are still four empty slots unaccounted for. I wonder who they could be...?
-Similarly, the Support Pokémon list shows a grand total of 15 slots, each with a pair of Pokémon (though only 3 are unlocked at the start), and 13 of those are already accounted for. There are still two pairs of Support Pokémon yet to be revealed it seems.
-Nia, your little spectator/helper will not shut up! Thankfully, you can mute her in the options.
-Framerate looks solid, save for when playing local multiplayer. Game seems to be looking swell for Wii U.
-André specifically mentioned that the controls were "like Smash" in that they are super easy to get into. Press a direction and one of the attack buttons. Said he had a lot of fun playing it despite not being a fan of fighting games.
-Noticed you can sometimes get a "Lucky Bonus" at the end of a match which will reward you with a free piece of clothing to customize your trainer with. Speaking of customization, you can also add custom titles like many other fighting games.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:49 am 

Image A bit late on this, but we've got the last two sets of Support Pokémon. They're pretty awesome, but the combinations are...unusual...

First, it's Yveltal and Latios! Yveltal will use Oblivion Wing that deals some big damage and prevents the opponent form ever using their Synergy Gauge. Latios uses Luster Purge which sends an attack around the opponent and slows their movement.

Then, there's Reshiram and Cresselia! Reshiram let's out Blue Flare, sending a powerful attack at your opponent and lowers their Attack. Cresselia will use Lunar Dance, which heals HP, fills up your Synergy Gauge, and removes any debuffs. However, it can only be used once per round.

In a bit of sadder news, it looks like there aren't any more Pokémon left to introduce for the playable roster, despite there being enough room to fit 4 more. What you see is what you get. They say they currently have no plans for DLC, but that's a non-story when it comes to Nintendo products, really (the same thing was said about Smash). With that said, The Pokémon Company has been very against the idea of paid DLC (Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity is the sole exception not counting F2P games) though, but that doesn't mean we couldn't see updates in the future. After all, the arcade got updates for Blaziken, Sceptile, and Chandelure, so...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:07 pm 

Image I don't know if I'm allowed to, but I thought you handsome guys would like to see this. ♥

Also, André has such a lovely voice...♥♥♥

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:09 am 

Image So...we're just jumping into 7th Gen this Holiday, huh?

Also, VC Red/Blue/Yellow are compatible with Pokémon Bank.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:01 pm 

>VC R/B/Y compatible with Pokémon Bank
How? First gen Pokémon data (and second gen by extension) is completely different from how current data is. That was the whole reason for not being able to transfer from the second to the third generation.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:05 pm 

DoM wrote:
>VC R/B/Y compatible with Pokémon Bank
How? First gen Pokémon data (and second gen by extension) is completely different from how current data is. That was the whole reason for not being able to transfer from the second to the third generation.

Image I know. I'm not sure how they are going to pull this off, but they promised it in today's Pokémon Direct that it will be a feature.

So yes, the idea of a No Guard Fissure Machamp is very real now...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:10 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
Image So yes, the idea of a No Guard Fissure Machamp is very real now...

Good lord.

Also, this seemed relevant.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:27 pm 

Hey, review copies have been sent out for Pokkén! Here's all the Burst Attacks of the starting roster!

Spoiler: click to show

Image Oh ho ho, yes, I do love a good "playmate"... ♥

UPDATE

((OOC: Even better, we got whole moveset footage of every character! Take a look:))

Charizard
Pikachu
Pikachu Libre
Machamp
Gengar
Mewtwo
Shadow Mewtwo
Suicune
Sceptile
Blaziken
Gardevoir
Lucario
Weavile
Garchomp
Chandelure
Braixen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:54 am 

Image Pokkén embargo has been lifted! Expect lots of stuff now! Here's what I've learned from skimming a couple of reviews:

-Easy to play, hard to master style. You shouldn't compare the combat to Tekken at all, despite the name. It's far closer to Smash Bros. in style, though with much higher diversity in attacks.
-Online play seems fine, but then again, servers weren't crowded with a boatload of people like launch will have. Still, mostly smooth with occasional hiccups if the connection is bad.
-16 Playable Pokémon. That's your final roster unless they change their mind about DLC plans.
-Ferrum League seems fun at first, but can get repetitive after a while. This is basically your Arcade/Story mode, but due to the style of game, you'll end up fighting repeats over and over again, sometimes even a string of three in a row of the exact same Pokémon.
-Voice acting is BAAAAAAAAAAD! It does support dual audio, but I recall some players of the Japanese Arcade saying it really isn't any better either. It might be wise just to turn it off altogehter, which you thankfully can do (I've heard Trevor's voice and wow it is just awful...)
-Training mode is alright, though no real way to shift between Field and Duel for practicing moves. At least it can get you used to a few more technical combos before discovering some of your own.
-If you get juggled, you're gonna have a bad time. Some really good players are able to take away at least half your health before you hit the ground with no way to counter it. Eek!
-There is a certain bit of depth with the combat, though, with certain moves being more effective than others for countering. Reading your opponent is as crucial here as it is in a traditional fighter.
-The drop to 30FPS for local play is pretty bothersome, but from what I could see, the only thing that'll really be annoying is having to play on the GamePad (that thing is just too big, really).
-Lots of controller options: GamePad, Pro Controller, Classic Controller, Remote + Nunchuck, and Pokkén Controller.
-Interestingly enough, no control stick support. You gotta play using the D-Pad. Might feel weird at first on Field Phase but should come natural for Duel Phase.
-Player and support models are fantastic, background characters...not so much. Very much just 2D crowds, though that's not the focus of the game anyway. Gotta cut corners somewhere.
-Overall conclusion from people: It's fine. If you're into this idea, you'll like it fine. Hoping for a good online scene so it stays alive though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:19 pm 

Image As expected, I've been dabbling into Pokkén Tournament pretty hard. It really is as easy to learn as is implied, though stringing combos together is still going to take a lot of time.

Well, at least I don't need to worry about half-quarter-circle back high punch + low kick nonsense. It plays much differently from your average fighter, that's for sure, though it is still as much a mind game as regular ones.

The best part is, I'm actually starting to learn things! At first, the CPU was nothing more than chopped liver, but they've gotten more and more aggressive as I progressed the story (and yes, there is one, and I think I've already finished the major plot point, though there's still one more League to do EDIT: I've actually got another League after that one...) forcing me to try new techniques, knowing when to block, counter, grab, etc. This is actually pretty great for me since I've never really been able to do that before in a fighter. 'course, it's also probably because it's much easier to get into too.

Anyway, as you might expect, Fara Braixen's been my go to thus far and it's worked out great. Braixen is very much a long range fighter, excelling quite a bit during Field Phase.

As for Support, I've become quite accustomed to the Cubone and Diglett set. Excellent Pokémon for comboing attacks together.

...And yes, Magikarp Festival is as awesome a stage as everyone has made it out to be, though I'm also fond of Blue Dome, Neos City (Night) and Tellur Town (Autumn).

As an aside, there is a demo version in EU right now, Dunno if it's in NA yet. Seems simple enough, You'll have access to Pikachu, Lucario, Gengar, and Charizard, with Support choices being Emolga & Fenniken, and Cubone & Diglett. You can power it up 10 times.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:12 pm 

Image Got my first SLv. 100 Character. Of course it's the one I play as the most.

Dunno if this is the most optimal setup for Braixen, but here was my logic behind this, which isn't all that different from setting EVs really. I didn't bother with Defense simply because Braixen is already pretty frail. No point in upping that any further. As for Strategy, which affects Support Pokémon, Braixen's High Stance actually fills the meter fairly quickly, so I didn't see much reason in making the meter go even faster. I put most of my points into Synergy since Braixen in Synergy Burst gives it a permanent Sunny Day for the duration of the effect. Normally, Sunny Day has to be activated and is good for one Pokémon Attack (A Button) and changes the properties. For example, Fire Spin usually just deals a bit of continuous damage, but when enhanced by Sunny Day, it will also launch opponents in the air for good juggle opportunities. With Synergy Burst, every one of Braixen's Pokémon Attacks get that enhancement boost, making the attacks just that much better. And then I dumped the rest into Attack to help whittle down the HP of opponents.

If this is unoptimal, thankfully, Pokkén lets you respec any time you want. We'll see what the meta game tells us later.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:22 pm 

Check it out. It's Andres' two favorite Pokémon talking to each other.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 793 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 32  Next