Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:02 pm 

I thought this might be a fun idea to keep track of how my island in the video game Tomodachi Life is going on here, especially since there were a few I based on friends here. It's kind of like the Animal Crossing one, expect it'll be more written as a journal of events with few screenshots (this mostly had to do with the fact that my PC actually doesn't have an SD Card slot, an oversight on my part). I hope you will join me!

-----------------------

Current Residents

Top: Masahiro Sakurai, Alys Bragwin (Phantasy Star IV), Reggie Fils-Aime, Satoru Iwata, DoM, Kludia, Daan Koopman (Nintendaan), Shigeru Miyamoto, Eiji Aonuma, Midna
Middle Top: Raxy, Azure, MasaeAnela, André Segers (GameXplain), Nikki (Swapnote), Afro Dude (original creation by my sisters), Josh Thomas (The Bit Block), Derrick Bitner (GameXplain), Lucahjin, Elby
Middle Bottom: Pikmanipulator, Chuggaaconroy, Dodger, TotalBiscuit, Bill Trinen, Samantha (friend of KP's), Grandma, Jesse Cox, Proton Jon, NintendoCaprisun
Bottom: Lord Crump, Susie (family friend), Elvis Presley, Kat (youngest sister), KP, me, Mom, Mitzi, Arbok_X, Falcon6

------------------------

Add Mii to Your Island

Last edited by The Great B-Man on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:15 pm 

Day 1

"Breaking news: B-Man purchases Tomodachi Life."

The first day on the island. Being a Pokémon fan, I named my island Cinnabar. I tried to think of something outside of Kanto but I couldn't think of any good island names that rolled off the tongue. Afterwards, my Mii was imported onto the island.

Right away, he wanted food. Looking at the modest selection of five items, I settled on pancakes, which my Mii seemed to love. Afterwards, he wanted someone else to talk to on the island, so I imported my sister (and made sure to classify that she was, indeed, my sister). They became friends very easily due to being related and all that.

Afterwards, I immediately got to work adding a whole bunch of other Miis, starting off with family and close friends...and Elvis Presley for some reason.

The king is back!

Not much longer after first starting did I encounter my first bit of weirdness by the newly opened fountain. Every morning, there is a "morning market" which sells a different kind of item. For today, I found my Mii selling...banana skins.

...No, not bananas. Banana skins.

I like to think my Mii loves bananas a ton but doesn't want to simply throw away the skins so he's trying to pawn them off.

Eventually, from all the importing and helping, I unlocked just about everything that didn't involve romance. I was also given my island's address, which is apparently 32-798 Cheeseburger Isles, Lasagna Ocean. This game seems to believe I am really into felines...

A few dreams had been shared, such as my Mii pretending to be seaweed, and Falcon6 dangling from a doorknob with other Miis tied to his leg. Speaking of Falc, he asked for a new hat, but didn't like the Chinese style one I gave him.

A fight broke out between Elvis and Susie as well as Falcon and Kat, but they were all able to let bygones be bygones and move on.

The first day didn't have too much drama besides that, but then again, it's the first day and everyone is still getting to know each other.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:22 pm 

Day 2

A day filled with love and heartache...

It all began with Arbok and my mother getting into a fight. They were pretty mad about something, but after helping them reconcile, something happened into Arby...he actually became smitten with the one he had just fought with! Not sure what exactly caused that...but the two agreed to start dating and with that, they helped unlock all but two more lots on the island!

On a more humourous side of things, I discovered that my good friend Susie apparently hates Veggie Burgers. This was her reaction:

Kind of awful, I guess?

All the Miis seemed to want to do was play games with me today, though. Not too eventual. I spent most of my time filling up the apartments with more Miis. As of right now, I'm up to 40 residents.

Adding them helped me make this rather amazing movie poster for a Dashed Expectations film:

...and also let us take a peek at how Raxy feels about a certain game developer:

But...not everything was happy. Eventually, my own Mii, seeing the success Arbok had, decided to take his own chance...with Mitzi.

...And she rejected him. Which of course, felt like a rejection to me as well. A trip to Australia was all it took to cheer me up, but the relationship between him and Mitzi has been strained a bit, though it's not the worst. Perhaps, if his heart feels aflutter again, he can try harder. It's possible he wasn't impressive at all by being "traditional."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:10 pm 

I like how the two people with weird haircolors are talking.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:11 pm 

Breaking news!

Falcon just confessed his love to someone...and she agreed to be his sweetheart!

And...it's Mitzi!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:42 am 

Man, first Arbok's trying to become your step-father, and now Falcon's getting with your crush. Harsh.

Also, that movie poster thing's pretty great.

Also, while identifying some people in that poster, I only just now saw the Midna (was really confused when I didn't see her at first and thought the one that was clearly DoM was labelled as Kludia due to missing Midna when going right to left with her being so short), that's actually pretty dang rad for a Mii.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:28 am 

Speaking of my Mii's drama, I gave him the Opera song to sing at the Concert Hall and I don't want to change the default lyrics because they fit so well with what's been happening.

Spoiler: click to show
Oh what have I done?
My dreams came undone
beneath the wretched sun
I cry alone
I need a love to call my own
In your sweet face
I'll find my grace
You'll save me from the dark
and together we shall embark
on a new journey
my love and me

One last thing I forgot to bring up at the end of last night: I played Tomodachi Quest I think it was called. Basically a spoof of old-school RPGs. The party consisted of Reggie, Elby, Nikki, and Proton Jon. I wish I took a picture of it because, whenever someone runs out of HP, they "pretend to be dead." Elby got KO'd by the boss and, everytime it was his turn, it said "Elby pretended to be dead." It just sounded so much like him.

The party itself was horribly imbalanced as well. Reggie was the only one who was not a healer.

----

And speaking of songs, this wasn't done by me, but it was still amazing and topical:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:52 am 

Day 3

Didn't really play too much today. Wanted to keep rested for E3. Still wanted to check up on a few things, and boy did a few things happen!

Firstly, it looks like it may be the end for Arbok and my mother. They fought all day! Something nasty must've happened.

But on a happier note, I was able to find Josh Thomas a sweetheart after he, much like me, had his first crush deject him. In fact...he successfully wooed my sister Kat! Hope he doesn't mind the fact that she has a child...

Elvis and Nikki also got together and have started dating. The lovey-dovey is really getting around!

...Well, except for me, that is. My Mii just can't seem to find anything to fill the hole Mitzi left him and now spends his days singing that same song at the Opera. As an aside, he is slowly starting to look like a Bond villain, what with the business suit and eyepatch outfit...

Meanwhile, both André Segers and Falcon6 have attempted to get others a sweetheart by trying to play matchmaker. First, André tried to get Daan Koopman and Dodger together, but it didn't quite work out. Falcon's attempt was much more successful, trying to match Midna with Proton Jon. While they aren't in love, the date did go well enough for them to want to hang out again.

I also found a bunch more stuff that people really hated. In particular, Bill Trinen, who I found his Worst and Worst Ever right after another. Specifically, he hates Coffee and Fried Tofu. Raxy also hates Coffee. And Aonuma really doesn't like Fried Tofu. I think I should stop feeding Miis these two things.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:40 am 

And now for a little side thing to show a few stats on each Mii representing us here:

------------------

Brandon
Personality: Independent Thinker

Food
Super All-Time Fav: ???
All-Time Fav: ???
Favorites:
1. Spaghetti
2. French fries
3. Cheese
Worst: ???
Worst Ever: ???

Relationships
Sweetheart: ---
Best Friend: Sam (Not getting along)
Friends
Susie: Best bud
KP: Great pal
Katrina: Great pal
Josh: Good pal
TotalBiscuit: Good pal
Mom: Good pal
Elby: Getting along OK
Lord Crump: Getting along OK
Mitzi: Getting along OK

Falcon6
Personality: Confident Adventurer

Food
Favorites:
1. Steak
2. French toast
3. Smoothie

Relationships
Sweetheart: Mitzi (Very much in love)
Best Friend: ---
Friends
Nikki: Good buddy
Elvis: Good pal
Katrina: Good pal

Lord Crump
Personality: Confident Designer

Food
Favorites:
1. Lasagna
2. Instant noodles
3. Spaghetti

Relationships
Friends
Brandon: Great pal
TotalBiscuit: Great pal
Katrina: Good pal

Pikmanipulator
Personality: Easygoing Dreamer

Food
Favorites:
1. Cheese
2. Pancakes
3. Grapefruit

Relationships
Friends
Midna: Good pal
NCS: Good pal
Grandma: Good pal
Bill Trinen: Kinda getting along

Azure
Personality: Independent Free Spirit

Food
Favorites:
1. Roast beef
2. Soda
3. Salmon meunière

Relationships
Friends
Jesse: Best bud
TotalBiscuit: Kinda getting along

Elby
Personality: Easygoing Optimist

Food
Favorites:
1. Instant noodles
2. Steak
3. Coffee

Relationships
Friends
KP: Good pal
Brandon: Getting along OK

Raxy
Personality: Independent Thinker

Food
Favorites:
1. Chicken pot pie
2. Steak
3. Salmon meunière
Worst Ever: Coffee

Relationships
Friends
Mitzi: Good pal

DoM
Personality: Confident Braniac

Food
Favorites:
1. Honey
2. Spaghetti
3. Steak

Relationships
Friends
Kludia: Best bud
Derrick Bitner: Kinda getting along

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:45 am 

My entry seems pretty darn accurate, except for relationships because of course I don't know those people in real life. Would be scary if I did. I can confirm that I do like grapefruit. I wonder if hushpuppies are a food item in the game. They'd probably be one of my most favorites.

Also, I find it amusing that Falcon is confident when I'm so used to hearing him ask, "Am I good enough?" in Soul Calibur.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:57 pm 

Day 4

I tried playing this in between E3 conferences but not much happened so I only got to play in the morning.

Nevertheless...we had our first marriage!

Despite barely knowing each other for that long, Josh Thomas of thebitblock.com married my little sister Kat. And now they live together in a house. Meanwhile, Tom and Mitzi continue to date while Sakurai finds love in Kludia and André Segers is now dating Dodger. Pikmanipulator thought it would be amusing to set up NCS with my grandmother, but I shot that idea down quickly. Funny enough, my grandma actually tried to get Pikmanipulator hooked up with Midna, but it didn't quite work out.

But not everything is rainbows and lollipops... The amount of fighting my mother and Arbok made forced the two to break-up. I actually had to watch a really depressing montage of the "happy times" they spent together. It honestly crushed me.

It seems my mother became incredibly bitter ever since, as she got into an even BIGGER fight with Masae, both of which refused to calm down until Lucahjin stepped in and helped out.

Other than that, decided to try my hands at making original songs and the lyrics sound pretty okay for the most part. Now if only I had a 3DS capture device...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:16 am 

That's one thing my Mii and I share in common, Coffee is !#%$.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:40 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
Pikmanipulator thought it would be amusing to set up NCS with my grandmother, but I shot that idea down quickly. Funny enough, my grandma actually tried to get Pikmanipulator hooked up with Midna, but it didn't quite work out.

There's no way I could have been serious about that matchup anyway. I bet NCS had done something to annoy me or tick me off.

Midna, yeah, we're good pals and all, but I don't think we're each other's types.

In other news, I used one of the two Move-in codes B-Man had to download a demo of the game. It only allows up to three Miis to move in and lets you solve only five problems, but it's a nice look nonetheless. I think I'll get the full game soon.

I notice that each Mii requires a first and last name (although so far the nickname is the only one that appears during game play), making it a challenge to come up with names for fictional characters with no last name. I ended up naming the Mii I made of Shantae "Shantae Ha'genie" (pronouced HAY-genie). Makes me wonder what B-Man made Midna's last name.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:10 pm 

I'm wondering what he put down for Raxy's last name.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:51 pm 

For the curious...

When playing the game, a First and Last name is required, and you also need to specify whether your Mii is a child or grown-up for relationship purposes. Those are the only requirements of a Mii in Tomodachi Life.

As for those wondering what I named a few characters...

I named Midna "Midna Twili" since she was the Twilight Princess and ruler of the Twili people. I just thought it'd be fitting having her name reflect her kind and what have you.

And Raxy, I named "Rax Amega" after the old username. It actually sounds like one word when she says it.

I also apologize for the lack of updates but nothing has really been happening that I haven't already revealed. I did encounter the "Super All-Time Favorite" for the first time though (Masae apparently LOVES Garlic). It's just that people really don't have any problems and they aren't interacting at all with each other. It gets super boring to talk about, especially since I can't share pictures without first uploading to some sort of social networking site first (and doing that takes a long time due to the 3DS browser's really slow speed). I did read that there is a USB-SD reader available and thought about grabbing something like that in the future. I've been taking pictures a lot but just not sharing them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:07 am 

Breaking News!

Bacon has just become available for the first time! Naturally, we all know who to test this one: Elby!

Good news: He loved it! It is his #1 Favourite...

Bad news: ...at the time. It's not listed in the "All-Time Favorite" section, which means there are at least two things Elby loves more than bacon.

On the flip side, you know who does consider bacon an all time fav of theirs?

Raxy.

Also noticed a few funny lines here. Firstly, on Mii News, at the end of their broadcast, they would ask two islanders for their thoughts on the matter. Falc was one of them and his response? "I'm jogging right now. Please, get out of my way."

Falc's kinda ticked about something...

Similarly, I caught Bill Trinen and Pikmanipulator having a chat at the café. Bill brings up how Chuggaaconroy seems to be really popular with the ladies (I have seen no evidence of this myself)...and Pikman took serious offense to that. He considers himself much funnier and more handsome than Chugga.

I think this is the start of a beautiful LP series by Pikmanipulator coming up...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:05 am 

hahaha wow all of those things are pretty great. i for one cant await pik's career as an LP super star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:01 pm 

Funnily enough, I've actually considered it, but I don't have the materials.

Anyway, I've experienced about as much of the Move-in version as it can offer me. I thought the Food Mart would change its stock daily, but nope, it's still the same five items: pancakes, salad, soda, steak, and veggie burger. At least with no more problems to solve, the Miis are no longer hungry even though their bellies are empty.

Some other details about my move-in experience:

Shantaii (I like to put the "ii" in the names of Miis based on video game characters to separate them from the original character) gets a lot of stuff in her hair. I find ladybugs and dandelions on it every so often. I'm always picking them off and she's always thanking me for that.

I've seen only one dream so far. My sister's Mii had it. In the dream, Shantaii told her that if you go to the Food Mart at midnight, the menu only carries items for zombies. My sister was so surprised that her expression shot into space and back. Then Shantaii told her she was only pulling her leg.

Speaking of Shantaii, one of the reasons why I imported her was to see how to use whatever makes a Mii's hair change to unnatural colors. A spray can I got as a reward did the trick, turning it her signature purple. However, it seems that taking a hot, steamy bath later on washed out the color, and I can't get any more spray cans to turn it back.

My sister's Mii and my Mii like to hang out, to no one's surprise. Our favorite activity to do together is hula dancing, which is one of the only two things you can give your Mii as a reward for leveling up (the other being adding a catchphrase). It is impossible to level past 3 in this demo. By the way, Shantaii is the best at hula dancing out of the three of us. She even loves the grass skirt that I gave her. This game certainly makes her true to her character.

The Concert Hall is open, but every time I go there, I see the three Miis automatically playing "Dragon's Fire" featuring Metaldachi. No other song. It goes on for about ten seconds before a bell rings that makes us all stop playing immediately. The audience never seems impressed with us. And that's it.

Oh yeah, I did get two panda suits (both red) in the Move-in version, as promised. My sister enjoys wearing one of them. I'd like to follow the game's advice and give the other suit to B-Man for giving me the demo, but apparently that can only be done via Local Play.

My sister's Mii got the hiccups once in her apartment, which I found hilarious because she always complains about having hiccups in real life.

The Miis rarely seem to visit the beach, but once I found Shantaii there digging a pit in the sand for reasons unknown. A later check-in showed her simply standing at the shoreline, gazing out at the sea. My sister also visited the beach and mostly just took in the sights.

Aside from the beach, Food Mart, Concert Hall, Mii Apartments, and Town Hall, only one other location could be unlocked: Nintendo 3DS Image Share, if you call that a location.

There's not much else to talk about, except that the Miis sometimes say funny things in their sleep. My Mii once said, "I won a million dollars? This is a dream come true! I'm going to buy an ice cream truck!"

I guess I'm ready to try out the full game now. I've already downloaded it. Now to make some space in my camera.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:55 pm 

Boy, did I have to do a lot of cheering up today. So many of my Miis were really depressed for one reason or another.

First, TotalBiscuit and Azure got themselves into a fight. After helping TB calm down, he went to apologize, but Azure was having none of it and told him he wasn't over it yet and was still mad. I had no idea he could be such a jerk...

Next up, Dodger felt that her relationship with André wasn't working out, so the two of them broke up. Had to help both of these two get over their sadness.

But this was only the beginning...

Next up was Elby, who had feelings for KP. I decided to help him out, get him properly dressed, told him how to approach, etc. He agreed to meet her in the park. And...

She stood him up.

Lastly came DoM, who had feelings for Susie. The two met at the café where he bluntly puts how the two of them would make a great couple. And her response wa--

"WAIT!"

Suddenly, right behind them...was Pikmanipulator!! Apparently, he, too, had feelings for Susie, though DoM insisted he loved her more. So now you wou--

"WAIT!"

Suddenly, the waiter, played by Serebii Joe, also jumps in to say that he loves her the most! I never would've thought my family friend was this desirable amongst these fellows...

But in the end, you can only have one sweetheart (no orgies here, sorry), so Susie had to make her choice. And the one she went with?

Pik

Needless to say, today was a roller coaster of excitement. 'bout time too, since nothing much was really happening as of late.

PS. Discovered the super all-time favoruites of Arbok_X (fish cakes) and Reggie (Lemonade).[/b][/color]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:06 pm 

Woooooaaaaahhh.

Didn't see that coming!

Whatever. I'm pleased.

So, having downloaded the full game, I've had plenty of happening in the game, but I have no desire to hijack this thread from B. Maybe I'll share the details in my own thread some time in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:33 pm 

Oh, I don't mind really. And since you're making an island, feel free to add yours truly as well.

The nice thing about the QR Codes in this is, if a friend gives you an "updated" version of their character, it will overwrite the existing one without removing your progress/gifts for that Mii.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:18 pm 

))))))))))))))):

Why you gotta be like that, KP. Is it because you're married? Because... that's a pretty good reason.

At least, I think she was one of your married sisters. I have a hard time remembering, anything, ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:08 am 

Nah, that would be Kat. She's currently the only one who is married. KP was eligible. She doesn't even have a sweetheart.

She's just not that into you. I know this because on her friend's list it says "Kinda Getting Along" for Elby.

As an aside, I think my character tried to comfort you, but we got into a fight. I calmed my Mii down, made him apologize, but your Mii wasn't over it, much like Azure to TB.

...Which makes yet another Mii I had to cheer up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:35 am 

Oh...

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))):

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:43 pm 

So here's something:

Usually, after a fight and a Mii wants to make up but the other says "I'm still not over it," they just need about a day to cool down. After that, they'll go and apologize and make up with the other Mii.

That...didn't happen this time with my Mii and Elby. The prompt for Elby to say "I'm sick of fighting" has not happened. Maybe it's just going to take some time, but then I decided to look at the friends list...and my name is gone! Elby literally has just one friend now (KP, though his rejection did lower the rating to "Getting along OK"). Yikes.

Now that I think about it, Azure hasn't wanted to apologize to TB either. Things are getting rough on Cinnabar Island.