Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:14 am 

Talk about RPs you want to start, ideas, and other things related to the RP board. Good for testing the waters to see if anyone wants to try an idea out or planning for something you think doesn't deserve its own thread yet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:59 pm 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
So folks, I have a proposal. Remember B-man's idea back in the GD board? That multiverse RP?

Honestly, I don't know where to start with this but it sounded like a great idea to me. The only concern I have is it becoming a Locura MK II, which maybe we can avoid this time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:12 am 

First thing is that I think you should give it an actual name in the topic than the name of where it takes place.

Like Multiverse RP. Or maybe just The Dashed Expectations Diner/Inn.

And then clearly state how the RP works, 'Characters from any setting can enjoy food at the diner between worlds, Dashed Expectations. Do not create new threads for different locations mentioned in this setting if your character leaves, or several characters all leave to the same place. Instead you can have them leave and the come back with stories of what they did. After all, I doubt they'll spend their entire life in a Diner.'

And if you need more organization make a Chat/Planning/OOC Thread for it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:18 am 

I AGREE WITH RAX

COOL IDEAS 10/10

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:22 am 

I fully agree. Thanks for the advice. I've been away from practical forum RPs for a good long while, mostly have done IRC stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:51 pm 

I'm not sure how many of you have experience with tabletop RPG systems, but I've been meaning to try out a GURPS game on a forum for a while now. This might sound confusing for some of you so let me just plagiarize some text from another forum instead of writing it out myself:

Spoiler: click to show
Quote:
How to Play by Post

Want to play D&D but can't find a group? Want to try out a new RPG system before selling your friends on it? Are you an angry recluse who likes GURPS but has no friends? If any of these sound like you, play-by-post might be just what the doctor ordered.

How does play-by-post work?
In a normal tabletop game amongst friends, one person is the Game Master and he lays out an adventure for the players. Players state their actions in response to the GM and roll dice to determine success. Sometimes, the GM will roll behind a screen for things that happen that the players are not aware of, and announce the results.

In a pbp game, the GM usually does all of the rolling, for players and for behind-the-scenes stuff. The players post their actions and the GM determines success or failure and posts the results. The net result is a game that takes much longer to complete but is much richer in description and often features a more complicated story.

The RPG system GURPS stands for Generic Universal Role Playing System. Now, unlike any other RP's you may have participated in before, this one has rules. 600 pages worth of rules to be specific. Thankfully, a free 32 page Lite version of the GURPS ruleset has been released meant for introducing people to the game and is really all a player needs to play. Since I will be the one doing the complicated stuff behind the scenes, it shouldn't affect it much, if anything at all if you use the lite version while I use the 600 page version.

Rules and Character Creator downloads:
GURPS Lite + Character Creator

GURPS Lite Mediafire mirror
GURPS Character Creator
Plaintext Template for above program

Last edited by druid_mysteries.zip on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:52 pm 

i am helping nerd.zip with his thing, and i also know him. i can honestly say that his idea is shaping up to look really neat and i expect every one of you rpers to be interested in this.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:08 am 

Certainly interests me. Problem... I am a tabletop idiot XD.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:10 am 

I have some limited experience with 4th Edition D&D, but nothing else. It does sound interesting, so I might join in.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:56 am 

I've looked at GURPs books a little, but I've never played it. I have some table top expirence in the form of DnD 3.5 and various White Wolf games. I'd be interested in trying. I was actually considering doing something like this with either Maid RPG or Don't Rest Your Head. You know, because they're so similar.

Also you might want to check out roll20.net Moogle showed me this and it looks like it could be useful for this sort of thing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:11 am 

Raxy wrote:
Also you might want to check out roll20.net Moogle showed me this and it looks like it could be useful for this sort of thing.

Already know about it as well as a bunch of other virtual tabletop programs, but they won't be very useful since those require everyone to be on for 2-4 hours at the same time which is very hard to accomplish in my experience. When I make the threads I'll include a section on how a post should be formatted and how the dice rolls will work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:44 am 

Is there somewhere that I can look at what this stuff is without downloading it first? I don't know if I want it or not.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:10 pm 

GURPS Lite Google Docs mirror

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:29 pm 

Can't download any of it, not that it matters.
And here I'm trying to simplify the tabletop I invented over 30 years ago... When did tabletops become so complicated?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:42 pm 

Yeah, now that I'm back to a more regular computer, I'm checking out the GURPs lite book. It seems pretty simple enough to use, and I'd be cool with playing this.