Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:37 am 

Cevell laughed aloud. "Yes, that's what I want to hear. Let your passion flow forth, and don't ever, ever doubt yourself, for even a fraction of a second." she said excitedly, suddenly being entirely pleased with the situation as she stood up (just as Issac asked), crossing her arms and staring Issac directly in the eyes, "For it's in that instant that I'll dominate you."

With that, Cevell continued to just stare, watching, waiting. However, she couldn't help but ask, "So, are we going to take this back outside, or are we going to need every inch of this infinite nothing for a last-minute clash? Because believe me, I've never been more ready for you to show me your moves."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:32 pm 

Sunny put an arm over her eyes, as did many of the crew, as Caitlin's spell collided with the first oncoming meteor. There was a bright flash, and then a thundering explosion as the first meteor cracked and crumbled apart.Some of the crew started cheering as the meteor disintegrated, which was quickly cut short as another meteor dipped under the clouds and crushed any feelings of hope in the situation they had just felt. The pieces of meteor crashed down onto the shield covering the ship and harmlessly bounced off, the shield holding up brilliantly.

Sunny started hyperventilating, holding her chest as she threw her other free arm to the sky. The runes on her arm refused to light, her powers laying dormant as she pushed for any feeling of light in her body. She felt the panic gripping her as she watched the meteors descend from the sky, fiery balls of a God's wrath emerging from under a violent blanket of lightning and thunder. Ten, twelve, twenty, forty. The meteors did not stop slowly descending towards the ship. "I...I can't!" Sunny fell to her knees, rain mixing with the tears on her face as terror flooded her whole body. She remembered the meteor earlier in her life. Now, she was under a fair few smaller ones. She felt powerless, she felt-

"Useless." Sunny turned her head, feeling time slow down as she looked Heart in his dumb, stupid face. The terror, the panic, the powerlessness...it was all replaced with an unfiltered rage as she stood up and pointed at him. But, before she could even get a word in, he cut her off, walking towards her as he pointed at the meteors in the sky. "All those times you were more than willing to waste your powers, goofing off and being a prat. Look at you now, unable to even clear a storm. Crying over a few falling rocks? !#%$ really?!"

"Shut up!" Sunny felt something inside her snap as she looked back up at the sky, and then back down at Heart. "You don't understand what's going on, you never even cared! It's always been about y-" Sunny was suddenly silenced as Heart stepped forward and slapped her across the face, firmly planting her on the ground.

"Understand this, you horrendous !#%$. Up until now I've tolerated your antics and your attitude towards my kinsmen, towards me, and towards the rest of the world. I've watched you squander your gifts, use your place of power to get gifts you never deserved, treat everyone around you like garbage..." Heart clenched his fists, his own anger overwhelming him. "What you did to those people on Kalthisis was unacceptable. We could have saved EVERYONE."

"I...I had to...make a choi-"

"!#%$. We had plenty of time! Unlike now! I look at you sniveling on the ground now, and I'm glad. The Gods looked down on you abusing your gifts, torturing the people around you, and they ripped your heart out."

"No...you..."

"I did nothing wrong. The fact that you try to blame me after all this time should show everyone how horrible you really are. You really are your mother's daughter. Only someone like you could ruin this much holy power, all because you wanted to be Caitlin." Heart spit on the ground next to her, and then turned away from her. "So get up. Get up and wave your hands in the sky uselessly. I await death at this point, because anything is better than having to serve under you."

Sunny watched Heart walk away, both her hands against her chest as all the white runes on her body turned a deep black. Her open palms clenched, angry fists suddenly over her head as she screamed to the heavens, ancient words escaping her mouth. Her entire body went pale as she chanted, summoning the last of what energy she had left to try and do something, anything, against the heavenly bodies that were quickly approaching the ship. Her chants went unnoticed at first, nothing changing at all. But, the sky got brighter. The whole world seemed to light up with a bright red, as the clouds reflected a source of great light behind them. Sunny's face grew into a huge smile as the light reflected off her face, stretching her arms as she embraced the light. But, the roaring thunder of meteors got louder. The light got brighter. And, the clouds finally broke, as did her smile.

There was one more meteor.

---

"Hey kid. Time to go. Our weapon is on its way. Say goodbye to your boyfriend and lets get back before these idiots figure out how to destroy meteors." Pride pushed images of what was going on outside of this void to Cevell, showing her how close the first meteors were to impact, and where their prized meteor was in the grand scheme. "Figure we have less than a minute before the ship is swiss cheese. We gotta hop up the meteors and grab the guitar out of the shop on the big meteor. Otherwise, I hope you have a good catching arm."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:10 am 
Site Admin

"Give it a moment."

As Issac said this, the white expanse seemingly began to grow smaller, being enveloped by a large cloud of black. Soon it swallowed the two whole.

For a time, it was completely black. But soon, Cevell could smell the scent of the ocean air and the feeling of utter despair around her. It took a small moment to adjust back to the real world's light.

Which is convenient for Issac as two more swords appeared behind Cevell.

With a flick of his wrist, Issac willed the four swords to raise up into the air, and slashed down towards Cevell. The speed and strength of the swords seem a bit more...determined now. Issac's put his heart into these attacks. He's out for blood.

Another sword appeared in front of him and is sent flying towards her, as well. And another. And another. And an-oh, that one is Issac that sped up to her and is about to bring a big ol' helping of Daedalus down on her. And this attack is going to be a hearty meal indeed.

Is that...really, is that what I wr-...I...I guess that makes sense.

---

John looked up at the sky as he began to count the numerous amounts of meteors coming down. "28...33...that's over 40 meteors." He looked devastated.

Hm.

"Got any other practical ideas brewing in you?"

Not unless you do what we've talked about...

"......no."

Suit yourself. Most we can do is just amplify the shield. Gotta hope that's enough and that the others defuse the situation.

"Great..."

John looked around, contemplating. If he only had something he could use as a base for his alchemy...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:53 am 

As Cevell and Issac's battle came to a climax, now would clearly be the time to play some dramatic mus-- wait, no, what is, what? No, not that one. The other one, y'know, with the lyrics? Yeah, th--NO, WHAT?? "BARK" IS NOT A LYRIC, FOR... okay, it's fine, just, give us the right one, and... y'know what? Close enough.

Spoiler: click to show
Or you could just use the real song here. But it's a secret, ssshhhh. I mean, you COULD use one of those other songs, I guess... if you want... I won't judge you.

Ahem, ANYWAYS...

As the swords began their assault, Cevell wasted no time in drawing the tip of her scythe blade, quickly carving a hole in the back as she leaped out of the back of the ring of shadowy blades. As it quickly became clear that that was nowhere near the end of Issac's onslaught, however, Cevell did a quick twirl, protracting the blade further out than she ever had before, the blade now forming a ring around her, blocking all the shadows. "Now that's more like it." she said with a grin, letting out a low bit of laughter just as Issac himself came crashing in. Quite literally, as it would happen: the deck of the ship sure didn't stand a chance as the force of the collision drove them into the ship's innards. As the dust settled, the two were standing there, Cevell holding the Daedelus at bay with her metal fist. "Heh... heh... that really is more like it." she said between breaths, the sword beginning to slice through the metal, a few sparks flying, "Afraid I have an appointment in the sky, though. If you truly are just like me, though, it should be no problem to follow my path." Just as the Daedelus had sliced the entirety of her fist in half, Cevell fired the shotgun, both blasting Issac and using the recoil to yank her arm free of the sword as she leaped high into the sky, right to a nearing meteor. Climbing them as if it were some extreme game of hopscotch... I suppose today's really not much an average day for Cevell, but she was happy to partake in the absurdity.

"Yeah, sorry you had to sit through that. I'm sure you know how his type is. Now, is there anything I should know about this weapon before I pull it out, or do I just need to point the dangerous end at the other guy?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

The guard recoiled at the shot right into him, staggering back as Cevell made her escape. Issac looked up to the girl making her ascent and moved his hand out. About 4 more swords flew up to her, but were easily dispatched, falling pathetically to the waters below. "Gahh...fine!"

He bent his knees and jumped up high, darkness enveloping him as he began to shift upward and upward, as if he's gaining altitude by displacing himself to a higher elevation each time. At times, he would stop for a moment, begin to plummet, but only as he focused on more swords appearing to careen towards Cevell. He would then continue his ascent, not worrying about the attacks not having much effect against Cevell's ascension.

Soon, out of sheer luck, he was able to gain enough momentum to pass Cevell, slashing his sword down for a power attack. "YAAAAAH!"

If the sword was like a quarter mile bigger, or a folded 50000000 times steel katana, that meteor would be cut in half. Still, it's just enough to be a bit of a health hazard for Cevell.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:04 pm 

"You certainly are persistent!" Cevell shouted with a laugh as the two were on their ascent, blocking the shadows along the way, "But even more swords, really? I know you like 'em, but at least use some creativity in how you use them. That's how you throw them off, or even take it to the next level."

As Issac came to pass and come down with his overhead swing, Cevell simply shook her head as she spoke, "Let me show you." With that, Cevell fell forwards, doing a bit of a flip as she balanced the bottom of her feet on the sword, the metal clanging, and pushed off the meteor with her hands so as to divert the two juuust enough to the side so that the two would swing just past the meteor--and just as Issac would come to the end of his swing, Cevell leaped off, blasting both the low-powered jets on her feet and the shotgun to both distract Issac and boost herself as much as possible. That wasn't the end, of course, no, it should come as no surprise that that's just the beginning of this convoluted mess of an attack.

As Cevell flew through the air, the next meteor she got to, she also skirted along the edge, protracting her blade once more just enough to hinge herself and, with a few more well-timed jet boot bursts and blade-hinging, slingshot her way around the meteor, which would bring her right back to where she started... or rather, the opposite side of the meteor on which she started. Fist clenched, one last blast from the shotgun rang out as it propelled the previously-split metal fist forward, straight into the center of the meteor, shattering through the surface, through petrified floor inside, through all the remnants of furniture inside, through the 'home, sweet, home' mat, and out the chimney of the house that apparently rested inside (??), all to burst back out the meteor's other end, flaming-hot fist aimed right for Issac's jaw. "Like... THAT!" she screamed out, gritting her teeth slightly as the fist sparked all the more as it neared its target.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

"PUH!"

Issac gritted his teeth and took the fist in the face like a champ, his body flailing off the meteor. He began to careen down and down before his determination reignited. "Hnn" He shifted once more and soon reappeared on the meteor Cevell had just jumped onto. His face was bloody and bruised, and his smile was reddened, but it shone the way his usually did. "Heh....hehe...that was a nice attack." He slowly moved his hand up and another sword appeared. The sword then pathetically began to fall off the meteor. He did it again, and the other fell.

"Hn....hnn..." He looked a bit weak.

"HAH!" Suddenly, 12 swords appeared surrounding the meteor! And! They all began to fall, too!

He did it again, and they fell again. He was looking pretty bad off after each one. But he kept trying.

"Hah....hah.....hah..."

This couldn't really be his last stand, could it?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:04 pm 

"Hehehe... hahaha! You really don't give up, Big Guy, good, but... you disappoint me." Cevell laughed, but transitioned to a sigh as she shook her head and frowned. "I thought you of all people could take a punch, but your body's clearly not as determined as your mind. Should've gotten a new one like I did. I suppose it's a bit late for that now, though. Maybe that old lady can help you with that, if there's enough left of you." Letting out another sigh, Cevell slowly walked up towards Issac, looking down at her sparking metal fist, pumping it once again, at her side. With a subdued, solemn chuckle, she spoke, "It's been fun, Issac, but I believe we're done here."

With that, Cevell slowly rose her shotgun up, along Issac's torso, and then, pointed straight at his face... and fired.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

The shot rang, but it did not connect, Issac disappearing beforehand, reappearing a few steps away.

"Heh...you think that's...all...it...would take..." As Issac began to speak, he slowly regained composure, looking like he hadn't even taken such wounds. "...that much to take me down?"

He moved his hand up into the air triumphantly. In an instant, a giant multitude of swords appeared surrounding the meteor. Some of them shattered, as though they were the ones Cevell had dispatched before.

"MULTI SWORD DANCE"

The swords all pointed at Cevell, then began to follow her. Something that was clearly visible to her was that the swords kept coming. And Issac wasn't breaking a sweat. It's almost like...he BAMBOOZLED her!

"Do I need to remind you, Miss Cevell? MY BODY IS PERFECT!"

As she would naturally start moving, Issac went in for the kill, slashing the Daedalus upward towards her. Knowing that Cevell would clearly dodge it, he let go of the sword. A hand formed by his side, grabbing the sword's hilt and effortlessly slashing down again.

And yet, knowing that it would not connect either, he went for the third attack in that split second, bringing his armored fist right into Cevell's face.

"Perfectly capable of taking anything you can throw at me. IT CAN BE BRUISED, IT CAN BE BLOODIED, BUT IT WILL FOREVER BE! MY SOUL WILL CONSTANTLY KEEP IT FROM ITS DEMISE! That is my power. I CANNOT DIE BY YOUR HANDS!"

Another three-way attack from before, this time his left fist connecting onto her face. "My determination is going to keep standing in your way, until you falter. Even if you destroy everyone below...even if you take over hell...I will always be there...constantly.....CONSTANTLY SHOWING YOU SOME HUMANITY!"

If Cevell had begun to move away from the attack, the swords would continue to follow her. Endlessly, it seems. As though she were a girl trying to dodge a giant multitude of tiny obstacles in a very tiny window that constantly came towards her to keep her from her ability to take over the underground soul cavern that....it's a bullet hell, okay? OKAY?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:15 am 

Indeed, Issac's first attack was side-stepped; the second, blocked by Cevell's blade. The punch, though, smacked her square in the jaw, her head twisted to the side as Cevell stood motionless from the punch as Issac went on his spiel.

"HAH!" Cevell spouted, her grin now back and bigger than ever (this is a lie, her head would have to physically grow larger for there to be more room for smile for such a thing) as she stood straight back up, "I should've known! All this time, and even you can still manage to surprise me. You truly are the Big Guy, the Biggest Guy." Cevell chuckled to herself as the second wave of a triple attack came at her, the fist managing to connect once again, although she seemed largely unphased this time (although her face had certainly seen better days) as she continued, "Perhaps there truly is more to you than the rest... but that makes it all the more important that I press on." As Cevell stared down at the upcoming torrent of swords, she was not given a moment to ponder as she was forced to dash to the side out of several swords' paths, and as more came, she took a small jump, landing her feet on the side of one of the shadows and propelled herself off once again as she leaped all the higher into the air, now back to meteor-hopping.

As Cevell looked skyward--dodging, blocking, or leaping off swords here and there--she let out another low chuckle. "It feels like it's been so long, and we've gotten so far, yet we're only just beginning, huh?" she pondered aloud, mostly to herself. It was only a matter of time until she'd reach the final, largest meteor, but it was still exactly that: a matter of time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:48 pm 

"Pay attention now, I'm only going to say this once. The meteors you will encounter past this point are remnants of a long dead society launched into space by excessive force. Old homes, businesses even. Grab what you want, but your focus is on the surface of the big meteor, the middle of the commerce district. Follow the signs, find the Axe Shop. You have only a few minutes before company arrives to ruin everything.

True to her word, the next meteor that Cevell landed on had the remains of what used to be a house standing on it, clearly blown apart by some great force long ago. In the distance, Cevell could make out more houses in better shape, and just barely see the grid pattern of streets on the biggest meteor. Signs that were still lit with power of some sort and lights from shops long abandoned asked more questions than they answered, and frankly those questions may never be answered by the trio visiting this long dead chunk of world.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:14 pm 

Cevell grinned with a small chuckle as she looked towards the largest meteor. "Suppose that explains a few things. An axe though, huh? I can dig it. It's a shame, really, a society where an axe shop being in the middle of town can only be fun. Unless it was just a civilization of lumberjacks... although even that has its appeal." For but a moment, Cevell looked down towards Issac--persistent as he was-- and gave a smirk. "So there'll be even more people coming to stop me, huh... Suppose it wouldn't be any fun if it was easy. Even with some super-spirit, I can't afford to let my drive waver for even a moment... as it should be."

As Cevell... monologued...? Thought to herself...? Dialogued to herself, she kept hopping along, the ruined cities around her making a nice backdrop for things. The great, ancient civilization, destroyed long in the past, and now even the preserved remains being crushed into dust between Cevell's super-hopping and the onslaught of shadowy swords that littered the skies in her wake. If you squinted really hard, some sort of metaphor could be contrived from this, but Cevell had neither the time nor the care for such things.

It wasn't too much longer before Cevell reached the biggest meteor, however. It's title was not to be understated. It might be more apt to call it "god damn that thing's big as !#%$ what is this like a whole planet or something??: the meteor," as Cevell now stood in a strange, unfamiliar place. The ships below now looked like ants down below, barely being visible. Or maybe stars? Didn't I just say we didn't have time for metaphors?? I guess similes get a pass. REGARDLESS, it wasn't going to be a simple matter of "take a right on Sesame Street and the place is straight across from the Dominoes," there was some more travelling to do. While this meteor remained the end destination for so long, it was as Cevell said not long ago: this is only the beginning. However, just as was also said then... it is only a matter of time.

"Are we there yet?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Cevell would finally fly close to the large meteor, but her monologue would be interrupted with another hand grabbing her from the air and smashing her into the pavement (????) below.

Issac landed on the ground, taking the small moment of respite to look around. "Huh...what an interesting locale!"

If Cevell could look out from the crushed pavement, she would see Issac looking around with an intrigued look. "Kinda...hard to breathe up here, though."

---

Meanwhile, back at the ranch ship...

John scoured around the crates and found one more vital bottle of potent alcohol. Wow, can't believe he would drink to his demise.

His stone sparked as he shook the contents of the bottle and began to walk towards Caitlin. The bottle's contents began to glow with a red tint, like radioactive wine.

"Here, Cai-...Captain. Time to drink up." He moved her mouth open and tipped the bottle slightly, letting the contents drip into her mouth. The alcohol had been replaced by a sort of minty taste, which would detract the actual alcohol content by a considerable amount. However, the potency of the alcohol was replaced by a potent health potion that would bring Caitlin back to about 50 percent, give or take. It tasted decent, too, as if he was taught to focus on making a good-tasting medicine. All the while, he was looking up to the meteor storm slowly falling towards them. "I really don't know what we can do without you....maybe...."

---

Issac began to walk towards the pile of rubble, brandishing his blade once more, his eyes downcast. Another dozen swords began to appear behind him as he walked, poised and at the ready. "What are you even searching for on this godfallen rock? Is it a weapon? Is it some sort of unholy artifact? Is it that wheeled mechanism over there?" He said, looking towards a motorcycle laying in the street. "I would not be surprised if it were that. It looks fierce! Fire painted on the side, too. It must have been an unruly beast of a weapon."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:34 pm 

Cevell slowly looked up, her eyes slightly squinted as she frowned. As Issac was already distracted, though, Cevell simply sighed and smiled once more as she slowly stood back up, dusting herself off with one hand as she swatted away a few shadowy swords with the other. "Nah. That thing does look a bit cool, if a bit inconvenient, but I'm here for an axe shop, apparently. Seems a bit strange, but, hey, axes are cool, right? I know you're more of a sword guy, but eh, maybe you could give one a try, I feel one'd be appropriate for a Big Guy like you. Yeah, maybe we could just head there together and see what it's like, right? Change things up a bit, should make things more exciting. This place is honestly about as foreign to me as it is to you, so, hey, it'll give us both a chance to check the place out. Y'know, before we just kinda... continue on with our business. Couldn't hurt, right?" Cevell let out a light laugh with that appeal, turning to look around the place. "It's apparently in the middle of the commerce district, wherever that is, so... can't be too hard to find, right?"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:55 am 
Site Admin

Issac was...having none of it. "You continuously want to kill everyone on that ship, Cevell! And with vile aims! I'M NOT GOING TO LET YOU-"

Issac looked like he was about to strike at Cevell once more with harsh, heroic words, but he stopped himself. "Wait a minute...if you found this axe and realized that it wouldn't bring you happiness, as most axes would being not as classic and elegant as the sword, then maybe you would end this foolish crusade. A few days in the brig and you'd be back on the nice and easy!" Of course.

He looked thoughtful, then nodded twice. "Very well, let us see if you can find that axe." He smirked. "And maybe then, you'll see that the answer to happiness was just a few days of jail away!"

Of course.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next