Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:12 pm 

As John mused to himself over the impending doom lingering overhead Caitlin stirred violently. Her head jerked forward as she began to cough roughly, bits of the red potion coming out between breaths. As it continued she covered her mouth with a hand and John could see a faint black mist escape through her her fingers. Caitlin laid back with John's hand supporting her head as her eyes opened weakly. "Sota?" she mumbled before her vision had a chance to clear. As John's face came into focus Caitlin made the slightest hint of a frown. "Oh."

The captain's eyes turned towards the skies, spotting the meteors still waiting for their grand finale. "We're still in this, huh? Can't say I'm surprised," she smiled to herself. "Even with a spell like that... Well, I won't get better by dying here." She raised the hand she had coughed into, it now covered in liquid and turned a grimy blackened color by the mist, as she looked back at John. "Thanks for the help, Stumbles. Could you help me to my feet while you're at it?"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:18 am 
Site Admin

John couldn't help but smirk. "Haven't heard that nickname in a while..."

Nostalgia later. Plan now. The stone sparked in his pocket.

John took Caitlin's hand and helped her up, taking a look up to the sky. "I don't suppose you have any extra contingencies, Captain?"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:58 am 

"Contingencies? Isn't that word a little big for you?" Caitlin said with a soft smile and a weak laugh. As she let go of John's hand to stand on her own she wobbled unsteadily. A large wave rocked against the ship and the captain, in her weakened state, fell into John, letting out the most genuine "!#%$!" he had ever heard anyone say. Caitlin stood there with her head over his shoulder and her hand pressed against John's chest, and as the seconds ticked slowly by he could almost hear Caitlin trying to summon Death to take him.

Caitlin seemed to suddenly want out of the moment because she pushed herself away from the alchemist. He could see now the anger in her green eyes as she stood with clenched fist. Anger not directed at him, no, but something else. Her brilliant red hair whipped to and fro with the thrashing of the wind as Caitlin's head turned skyward. If John looked carefully he could see Caitlin's fists loosen, see the hope leave her eyes for a moment, and hear the defeat in her voice. "I can't stop her," John thought he heard her say, but it was hard to make out over the storm. Caitlin's eyes darted back and forth as she searched for something in the sky. "I mean... Not now, anyways. Not with these meteors. Not with me being so..." She looked down at the boards beneath her feet and let out a long sigh, rubbing at the scars Cevell had left her with. "Maybe if I cast the Dragon Slave again I'll be able to pull it off. Take out enough of the meteor and..."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:19 am 
Site Admin

John adjusted himself, seemingly uncomfortable at that moment. "Heh...should've...taken out a little of that alcohol..." John, you're ruining a moment.

He looked up to the sky with Caitlin, frowning. He didn't flinch from the anger. Not this time. He was too busy feeling angry at himself now. "If I was half the alchemist I should be, I'd probably have an idea at this point...the key to saving everyone on this ship...but..." The wind began to pick up under his coat, causing it to billow helplessly in the wind. The waves still refused to relent. "I just...don't know..."

Ehem.

No.

Hear me out. We could still try to power up the shield...or use that sort of energy to give power to the good captain. Enough to keep her topped off without another fainting spell. Enough to enhance her power to blow up a few more meteors than she did before.

I don't know if you forgot, but we kind of took out all the alcohol on the ship. Caitlin's drinking the last bit. I have nothing else I can use here.

Yes, you do.

John blinked. What the hell was this stone talking about? There's no other possible substance around here that he could use to create a compound to enhance powers.......suddenly, it occurred to him. He began to walk to the railing of the ship. He looked down to the water below.

"You can't be serious..." John couldn't help but say that aloud, heard clearly by Caitlin regardless of the stormy weather.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:40 am 

"Damn straight I'm serious!" Caitlin bellowed, slamming her fist down into her open palm. "I know when I'm beat but I've always been too stubborn to accept it. That sure as hell isn't about to change!" Her knees wobbled again as the ship shifted, but the captain stood firm. "Even if Mi herself came down and punched me square in the jaw I'd get back up to keep fighting. There's still a lot I have to do with this life. I just..." She stopped, pushing back a hat that wasn't there as she held her forehead. "I'd like to make things easier on my family, instead of dragging them into more !#%$. Instead the damned cavalry has to come in and save my ass because I'm too weak to handle that !#%$ psycho and whatever that magic piss was she drank."

John realized Caitlin probably wasn't having the same conversation as him. Caitlin, however, did not.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:50 am 
Site Admin

No, he didn't.

Look, John, I'm not talking about changing the entire ocean. I'm thinking a small area. All we have to do is take the salt from the water and change it into the elements we can work with. Then you activate me and I'll be able to give Caitlin a power-up so fantastic she'd love to not kill you.

John closed his eyes, considering this for a moment. You're sure you can do it?

Trust me. Drop me in the water and recall me in about 3 minutes. The power will come.

"I trust you. I know you can do it." Caitlin could hear this still, but couldn't hear the stone fall with a small splash in the waters below. John was looking out to the ocean, leaning on the railing and looking out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:09 am 

"Mh." Heart looked on as Caitlin had her fit, and John stared hopelessly over the ship's railing out at the sea. He turned around and watched as the ship started erupting into general chaos, the first of the meteors smashing into John's shield and crumbling as the slid into the ocean harmlessly. But it didn't take an idiot to realize that the following meteors would probably smash through. And that final meteor...

He turned to Sunny, who had fully given up at this point, laying in the fetal position on the deck. He clenched a fist, and he turned just in time to watch Violet and Rei walk inside the ship, both of them knowing that the full extent of their powers were not under control and would do more damage than good. He finally turned to Kimmy, and ran over to her, yanking her arm. "Do something!>

Kimmy looked over her arm and disgust flashed across her face as she pulled away from Heart. "What do you want me to do? All of these super powerful Gods around, and you turn to me to help?" She sneered lightly, looking over at Sunny for a moment. When she looked back at him, her face was one of anger. "I have no obligation to help you. No desire either. But, I will help her. Within my power. Which, as I've already pointed out, is very-"

"Don't lie to me." Kimmy reached a hand out to point a finger at Heart, trying to continue her rant, but he slapped it away and stepped in close, grabbing her by the face as he spoke, his voice barely above a whisper. "I know what you are. What you really are. What that witch did to you, what she left with you. You not saving us now would be fine with me, I could care less about these pirates. But if we lose her, we lose our figurehead. Our power. She's a useless mewling whelp, and you are under h-"

A sudden flash of light blasted Heart back onto his ass and into some barrels. Kimmy rolled her shoulders, and, making sure no one saw anything out of the ordinary, started massaging her hand as if she just laid a massive slap on the boy. "This is all your fault. Don't you dare try to put our situation on me. Yes, what she did was terrible, but she begged you for forgiveness. I'm not going to sit here and watch you destroy her any further, either."

"And what will you do? Sit here idly? Watch as this world comes apart? Because you've done a good job so far." Kimmy turned away from Heart, done with his !#%$, when he threw out one more insult. Something in a tongue long thought dead, but spoken fluently on this ship between few. "Maybe if you had spent more time tending to her, and less time trying to !#%$ me, we would have already killed the Wolf Queen. Magma slut."

Kimmy, entirely done with this conversation, wheeled around and walked right back up to Heart, picking him up by his neck. In full view of everyone, she brought him over to the railing of the ship and slammed him into it. "Brave Heart, by order of Sun Raiser and being her second in command, I hereby relieve you of your duties to protect her. You have disgraced yourself and forgotten your original mission, and have forgotten your place. If I see you again, I will not hesitate to destroy you. Goodbye." And with that, Heart was cast over the railing of the ship into the ocean below.

She sighed as she watched the waters below, seeing the once welcome companion swim away from the scene. Taking another deep breath, she turned around and leaned against the railing, looking up at the sky at the incoming meteors. "As if I needed a reminder of that horrible mess."

---

"Hey, stop messing around with this !#%$. The Axe Shop is a mile away from here and you don't have a lot of time left. Double time, to the east. And watch out for skeletons."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:26 pm 

With a start, Cevell perked up. Totally because of just how right Issac was. Absolutely nothing else. As far as he knew.

"Uh, yeah, right. Nice and easy swords. Or something." Yes, you hid your distraction perfectly. "Yeah, let's go already. These meteors sure aren't going to wait for us to sit around and chew on each other." I don't think that's quite the phrase you were looking for. "Gotta hurry up, I'm sure you want to protect the... skeletons??" Okay, now you're not even trying.

Having taken the time to glance around at street signs and such that were varying degrees of helpful, Cevell finally decided on a path and took off down it. Places to go, people to see. Worlds to bring to chaos. Y'know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:29 pm 

"Uh, thanks and all but your vote of confidence doesn't change anything." Caitlin leaned with her back against the rail next to John, bending slightly over the edge of the ship as she tried to look him in the face. "You know-" she started, quickly going silent as she looked over to see Kimmy exiling Heart. Caitlin looked on as the scene played out, culminating in Heart getting thrown overboard. At the end of it Caitlin let out a quiet sigh, mumbling "I'm going to have to deal with more political !#%$ because of that aren't I?" to herself.

"Captain!" Caitlin looked to the upper deck to where Sota was, raising an eyebrow as she saw the short woman waving something around in her hands. It looked like a...mailbox? She couldn't make out the lettering on it from where she was. Looking once again at John, Caitlin reached just above his head and knocked something up into the air - something that was about to hit John. Caitlin caught the object as it bounced towards her, holding the box with both hands. It appeared to be a...hmmm... No, she knew what it was. They had these back on the old worlds. It was a...microwave, she thought the name was. Why was...?

Dropping the hunk of foreign technology Caitlin looked back at Sota, who was practically beaming. At least someone besides Cevell was having a good time. "Sota! Stop prancin' around and get this ship in order!" Caitlin barked, winning a frown from the first mate. She then looked at Sunny, who was curled up on the floor. "'Scuse me, Oblivious," Caitlin said to John, walking away from him and over to Sunny. She sat down next to the girl, wrapping an arm around her shoulder as she smiled at the girl. "Hey there, Sunshine. Weather got you down?"

Sota put down her new trinket, looking at all the other new knickknacks that were falling onto the deck of the ship. She wanted to mess with each one and give it its proper time, but orders were orders and these pirates weren't going to unpanic themselves. Especially with Caitlin shirking it off to go cheer up the kid. "Oi! The hell is wrong with you spineless lot?!" she yelled over the storm, getting the attention of the pirates who were running around frantically. "We aren't dying here to that broad and her bits of rubble. Let's get this ship moving already! Bring down the sails and get a line secured with the yacht."
"You want us to move without the sails?" she could hear someone shout over the commotion.
"Just do it! Stop dallying and do it!" As the pirates went to work, careful of the flying debris, Sota ran off below deck...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

Issac began to follow the crazy monster of a woman, smirking slightly as he ran.

"A brisk jog is just the thing we need after such a workout!" He shouted to her. "Once you've reformed, let's continue keeping ourselves sharp and spry! Eat our veggies and become the Captain's great fighting team!"

He kept running, now to the side of Cevell. "We'd call ourselves 'The Sentin Duo'! We'd be the greatest fighters on the sea! I would enlist us in arenas and fight for glory, leaving broken bad guys at our wake, earning great amounts of coin for our continuously-perfect win record!"

No matter what, Issac Sentin will keep going and going and going.

---

John looked over at the captain. "Oh, sorry, I...-geh!" He stepped back as the good captain smacked a microwave away from his face. That was close. Why would he even know what a microwave is? What an odd situation.

He coughed, sad that his old nickname was gone again. He watched as Caitlin walked away, then looked back at the ocean. It was about 1 minute in. If there was anything that was going to change for the ship, it would happen shortly.

Meanwhile, the stone in the water seemed to have garnered an ability to swim, dashing along the waters below, leaving a trail in its wake. Whatever it was doing, it was doing it fast.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:41 am 

Cevell shook her head slightly, looking over slightly towards Issac as they continued running along. "Eat our veggies...?" she repeated, letting out a small snort of laughter. "Yeah. Tell you what, yeah, the moment I'm reformed, sure, I'll totally take you up on that offer. I'll even answer to being a Super Sentin, or whatever, you got it."

Regardless, Cevell just kept on truckin', taking a turn here or there, stopping occasionally to make sure she wasn't completely lost. IT WAS SURELY ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE THEY GOT THERE WITHOUT ANY RESISTANCE WHATSOEVER........................

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:04 pm 

Caitlin didn't even need to know what exactly was going on with Sunny. Something was definitely wrong with the girl. Her white runes had turned a deep jet black, and this close to her, Caitlin could see the scars where she had been tattooing the markings on. She was shivering, and she wasn't responsive to her questions. Caitlin wouldn't get anything out of her this way. There were only a few people left at this point that could help her.

---

Out of the corner of Cevell's eye, she could see the sign for the Axe shop down another street. Of course, she also saw something else on the street she was walking down. Alone, pacing back and forth, was a skeleton wearing some form of chest armor. The skeleton hadn't noticed the two running down the street. It was more preoccupied by staring straight up at the blue planet, a direct collision course that would surely end its existence.

You should go say hi.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:57 am 

Caitlin fell silent, the jokes and fist-pumping attitude leaving her as she looked down at Sunny. With care she wrapped Sunny's arm around her neck and hoisted her up, holding the girl close. She kept her head tilted just-so, careful of Sunny's ears as she turned now to Kimmy. "What the hell is going on, Kimmy?" she demanded to know with a sudden edge to her voice. Even now her boots thundered against the planks of the ship as she took several steps towards the lavaling, a mother's fear and fury burning in her eyes. "Please, tell me what's wrong with her. What Heart was prattling on about. Help me help her!"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:09 pm 

Eyeing the axe shop sign, then looking back towards the pacing skeleton, Cevell gave a grin as she turned towards Issac, nudging him in the side as she spoke, "Hey, I think that guy's lost his nerves. You should go, like... Tell him how unrighteous it is that his home's coming crashing down on your boat." After a brief pause, Cevell nodded, finding that line acceptable. Not giving Issac a chance to make any decisions, Cevell waved her arms in the air, pointing at Issac as she called out, "Hey, yo! This Big Guy's got a bone to pick with you!"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:09 am 
Site Admin

Issac smirked. He knows she's playing him...but she's right. He walked over to the skeleton man and leaned forward. "That's right. Despite the dear lady over there being the direct cause of it, I am still unsure as to why you let this happen!"

He's just a bag of bones, man.

"Would you let this home of yours crash into the planet below?!"

---

John, meanwhile, stared down at the water still.

Boy, for 3 minutes, it sure does feel like it's taking forever. In 5 minutes, the planet is going to explode. Come on, pick up the pace.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22