Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:47 pm 

Hi guys, I made a game with sprites in it!
Would appreciate it if you could play it here!

Thank you and I hope I don't dash your expectations :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:57 pm 

I played some of it but I stopped at the first ghost level after losing 100 lives.

Voice-acting was a nice touch. And the spirtes, music, and art were all good. Some things looked a little out of place, like the crushers and the destroyed village background where it looked more like parts of houses were erased then destroyed but other than that it was fine. The snow level looked pretty nicely put together for what little i saw of it, might of helped if the ghosts were less transparent though.

Loading screen has jpeg artifacts though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:09 pm 

I beat it, only losing about 70 lives, because RAX IS BAD. *cough*

But anyways, it was pretty nice. Music was great, drawn art was very nice, spritework was, alright. The fact it had both slow movement and no jump feature made it feel a little slow and dull, but I suppose it worked well for the game being as simple as it is, as the game was very clearly designed around the lack of movement.

The ghost levels (mostly the first one; second and third one were pretty easy, and the last one was, about the same as the first, but I had learned how to deal with them pretty well by that point because yes), were quite something. The first ghost level is probably where at least 50 of my lives went, and felt way harder than the rest, because there's so much to keep track of, it can be kind of overwhelming. I obviously figured out there are safe spots to go, but it can be kind of confusing figuring out where they are, which is fine, but, my main complaint is just that it was way harder than anything past it. Oh also, the mention of the tombstones in the cutscene, I know it made both Rax and I think that they'd be the safe spots, but, well, we both quickly found out that wasn't the case, so I guess that was just flavor text? I dunno, a pretty minor complaint, but figured I'd mention it.

ALL IN ALL, IT WAS PRETTY DECENT.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:50 pm 

Raxy wrote:
[...]Loading screen has jpeg artifacts though.

Thank you very much for the feedback, I know the loading screen had jpg compression (ugh), but it was either losing jpg quality or not being able to publish the game! (I had a 10MB limit!). I think everything will be PNG for now.

Elby wrote:
[...]ALL IN ALL, IT WAS PRETTY DECENT.

Thank you, it was designed around my flaws as a programmer, but still wanted to give a challenging and engaging game. Hopefully it was to your standards, I will be sure to up the fastness on the sequel, as well add the long-waited 'jump' button that everyone seems to wonder where it is.

Also the tombstones are not safe places, they are inter-crossing places, snow spirits cross paths in the tombstones, it's a place to be wary rather than to stand and be safe.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:08 pm 

I was just playing along going "It isn't that hard".

Then I got to the ghost level.

Even after figuring it out, I had a difficult time getting through it.

Someday I'll beat it.

Someday!

In all seriousness, this was really good for what it was. While it's very hard, it's also fair. There's nothing really cheap about it, and it all depends on your skill. The sprites and artwork are really good, too, even though I'm not particularly a fan of the "big eyed animu" style. I really liked the music, too. I noticed some nice touches here and there, such as a choir during the ghost level.

All in all, this was decent, and I'd definitely play the sequel when you finish it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:51 pm 

Andy wrote:
Also the tombstones are not safe places, they are inter-crossing places, snow spirits cross paths in the tombstones, it's a place to be wary rather than to stand and be safe.

I actually thought that at one point, but then I notice them moving in areas where there weren't tombstones.