Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:15 am 

Rhythmatic Expectations -- Karate Falcon

Appropriate Music

Lyrics
Spoiler: click to show
Baby, I'm a broken man
I'm just a shattering storm
Baby, try to find my way
As the lonely shadows swarm

Whoa whoa whoa, I'm just a man
Missing you, please understand
Without you-ou-ou, I'm dying

No, no one will know
How I bear my pain alone
In the end
I choose my solitude
No, I can't go back
To my days of innocence
Can't go back
There is no return

Another cycle of seasons has passed us by and I can't help
I wonder I wonder I wonder just where you are now
I hear from everyone that you are different
And that you are yet more beautiful than before

Whoa whoa

If you say that you are happier now
And that's just the way you feel about everything now
Well then I guess it's just the way
That it is

The light-bulb represents him pushing away good ideas.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:21 pm 

Image Testing out Emofuri. I had to use a gif recorder since you can only save up to 4 seconds in the demo version (and I'm not about to pay ¥100,000 a year for this) so I apologize for a lack of background and the bad frame rate.

I mostly traced over the template provided since it looked a ton like Raxy already so I decided to put it here instead of its own thread since I wasn't really drawing my own image.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:29 pm 

Raxy looks so kawaii.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:01 pm 

omfg its great i love it

oh yeah, out of curiosity what did the original template look like

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:11 pm 

Here we go.

Image Maybe I was a bit hasty about saying it looked like you. More or less, I think what I mean to say was "With a few adjustments, I could totally make this look like Raxy," which I think I did pretty well. It's still very much a trace, though.

I do like what this thing can do though, so I'm definitely going to try more again in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:47 pm 

It's a trace but I do like all the stuff you added and the coloring and things and its also cool to see Raxy in motion like that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:12 am 

normally, i wouldn't post pastel colored marshmallow horse art here, but...

yes, a reference to that batgirl cover that caused that !#%$

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:39 pm 

((OOC: Okay, with a new PMD now fully engrossed into my body, I need to get back to sketching again. I've practiced in Art Academy and learned some valuable lessons and I even went ahead and dusted off my old scanner. That's where I am going right now with this.

Alas, I'm not too sure I actually have improved at all. While I've now started to make my own construction shapes, I feel I'm still quite a ways behind before I get somewhere that I'm super duper satisfied.

I dunno, maybe it's because my Art Academy images was basically me copying what I saw in front of me whereas now I'm trying to create images completely from my head so it's harder for me to maintain? Also, is there a more comfortable way to hold onto a drawing tablet? I don't think my lap is ideal but there isn't much room on this desk.

But enough banter. Here's a simple piece that was sketched, scanned, and digitally finished. Since it's been so long, I'm naturally going to start with something I'm already very familiar with.))

((OOC: I refer to this as "Theatre B" in reference to the NPC found in Lively Town in Super. Meowth is not one of the starters in Super, so my current headcannon is that Yours Truly has now retired from the team and has now set up a new business in Lively Town, a Theatre where you are the star by going into difficult dungeons while being filmed.

Because it is a business now and now simple adventuring, a friendly looking attire was needed. Outfit inspired by the fact that the official art for Meowth Theatre has a pair of 3D glasses (probably as a nod that the game is on 3DS) and, well, isn't anyone going to ask me what's with the glasses? Allons-y!

Also attempted to add some age to him and added a small bit of fur "stubble" on the chin. Thought about making the eyes look baggier too, but it looked too old that way.))

((OOC: I tried, I s'pose. I need to practice a bit more, I'd imagine. I really would like to start drawing Fara and Chester at some point.))

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:33 pm 

I can see improvement. The pose looks like it was drawn more confidently with constructed shapes, so that's a plus. And there's more detail. The only real issue I see is with the joint in the right arm (the one holding the glasses), which is too far from the body to be the shoulder but too close to the body to be an elbow, unless the arm is contorting forward (or maybe backward which works better but the forearm is too long either way). But yeah, there's still improvement.

And on the note of sketching, I should be doing that too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:20 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
and, well, isn't anyone going to ask me what's with the glasses?

Yeah, they're way too small to fit over your eyes!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:43 pm 

((OOC: Thanks for the feedback. It is appreciative, as always. Should probably return the favor someday, though not sure how helpful I could be to others.

Anyway, regarding the arm, yes, that was one of the point of contentions I had in regards to why I felt it wasn't quite up to snuff. There actually is an explanation for this: I had a different pose entirely (leaning back against the theater) but was getting frustrated with how to make it look properly so tried to salvage it into a simple standing pose. Didn't quite work as intended though.

Nevertheless, I do like that some improvement can be seen with you guys. I feel like I learned some valuable skills from playing Art Academy. Of course, Rome wasn't built in a day so I can't hope to be an instant expert, but it has helped. I remember being put off by construction shapes before since they just looked confusing and intimidating to me. Now, I can't imagine drawing without them!))

Pikmanipulator wrote:
The Great B-Man wrote:
and, well, isn't anyone going to ask me what's with the glasses?

Yeah, they're way too small to fit over your eyes!

((OOC: Whoosh.

As an aside, those glasses don't appear in game (just official artwork) so it was hard to judge the size.))

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:30 pm 

((OOC: More concept WIP practice time! Still haven't gotten a Fara/Chester I'm satisfied with so here's another one of our old favourites...though he looks far more different than B.))

By the events of Super Mystery Dungeon, Ty has taken full responsibility of the Rescue/Exploration Team since B now has other matters to attend to (he didn't just leave simply because he dreamed of opening a theater but I'll get to that later). As Ty matured, he became far leas timid and grew to be a fairly capable leader, probably even better than B was, and this is reflected in the fact that he has evolved into his final form. I feel it gives him a more commanding look, but it does come with a downside; Namely, some find him to actually be too scary. He tries to keep a smile when dealing with pleasantries, though it doesn't always work.

The idea was always to make Ty look rugged when he got older, since he did always want to be intimidating for those who read my comics, which ultimately grew into given him a sort of ripped up jacket and rider gloves. I through a few ideas around, such as a longcoat but I didn't want to cover up his iconic bandanna/scarf he's had since the very start. I do wonder if this really fits though, or if I'm trying to hard with the whole "looking intimidating" feel.

As for the drawing itself, it was pretty fun to do, though the limbs were ultimately the trickiest part, especially doing the cross arm look, something I've never been able to do successfully. It wasn't until I started actually looking at how real people cross their arms that I was finally starting to understand what I was supposed to do, but it may have been too little too late in this case. Maybe next time. Messed up the eye a bit (Typhlosion eyes tend to be relatively small compared to their head) but everything I tried never did look right from this angle. I'm afraid I may have made him too anthropomorphic as well, which was never the intention. I took a look at a few .gifs from the series to try to better understand and the fundamental thing I feel I missed was the fact that they tend to be slightly more hunched over. I'll need to go back try again I feel. I don't think it looks bad per se, just that it isn't what I was looking for exactly in terms of anatomy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:17 pm 

how does he not burn off his clothes

or does he strip every time he wants to fight something i can't imagine getting naked for the enemy would be very intimidating, just kinda lewd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:51 am 

Mecha wrote:
how does he not burn off his clothes

or does he strip every time he wants to fight something i can't imagine getting naked for the enemy would be very intimidating, just kinda lewd

((OOC: I meant to reply much sooner than this. It kept slipping my mind. Whoops...

But yes, I appreciate the comments as it does bring up things I might not think of, such as clothes burning. Initially, I was going to go with a look that would basically mean he could easily take it off, like a cloak he could throw off ala Meta Knight, though the original design I had didn't quite look right. I might try again later to see if it's more practical.

Regarding nakedness, at least in the games, there is no taboo at all, really. Nobody really cares and, at most, clothes that are worn get pointed out as being unusual, though in a good way, as was the case in Super. The only reason I always try to force them on is simply for identification purposes. Even though all I draw is fan art and I can't actually lay claim to any of these characters, I still want there to be an easy way for people to see that these are the ones I created for my own stories and role plays rather than having them look like every other member of the species. I could try going a bit more outlandish, such as with maybe some contrasting colours and other visual oddities, but I want to keep them closer to the initial look as much as possible while still trying to keep them distinct.))

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6