Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:17 pm 

Holy snap that looks amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:50 pm 

((OOC: Finished the mini lesson, though still ran into the same problem. Nevertheless, with that, I am now ready to take on the Graduate Exam, the final exam in the game.))

Spoiler: click to show
It's Mewtwo! Once again, ran into the same issues as I did with Charizard in that I don't think I really understood how to make a smooth looking dynamic shade with the brush. Like, I guess it looks okay, but I don't understand how to get the results that were shown in the example image. Andy's always looked smooth whereas mine look kind of janky and blurry. I think, officially, this is the first lesson where I feel I didn't learn a thing, or maybe I did and I just don't realize it yet. On the plus side, the shapes are looking better.
Also, we got our last tool for Mewtwo, which is unique since usually you get new tools during main lessons, not mini-lessons: The airbrush! That's what helped give that glowing look.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:50 pm 

((OOC: Firstly, I like to thank those of you who stuck around and watched as I continued to upload more pictures to this thread and over on Twitter. Your support and advice really helped me a lot. There were times where I started to feel rather frustrated and almost put this thing down, but ultimately, I went through, mostly with a calmer mindset, and now I managed to make it to the final drawing of the "story mode". It has been a wonderful experience and I highly recommend this game to anyone who wants to get into drawing.

Without further ado, my Graduate Exam piece:))

Pretty great, really. Blowing it up, I did notice a few errors. Ah, the troubles of working with such a tiny canvas like the 3DS. Nevertheless, the progress I have made is astounding, and I feel like I learned some really nice new techniques even from this one piece. The highlights from the lightning was a lot of fun to do, as was the lightning itself, but more importantly, I was actually smiling during this. Drawing was feeling less like work and more enjoyable, which is probably the ultimate achievement, no?
Nevertheless, I am super happy I bought this game and will definitely start doing my own work soon But before then...there's a couple of bonus lessons Andy has for Graduate students...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

Here, I'll do this for you.

You drew Pikachu three times and each time had gotten more solid, more confident, and hopefully more enjoyable.

You just gotta take the lessons you learned from the game and apply it outside of it. You do that, and you'll be able to draw not only more Pokemon, but more things in general.

It was a joy to watch you do all this. Keep it up. I promise I will, too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:50 pm 

((OOC: I never even thought to look at each individual exam with Pikachu, but seeing you lay them out like that, it's quite incredible to see the kind of progress this program provided. Each was so different, and not just in terms of pose and design, but how fleshed out everything came to be. As more techniques were learned, new additions were made to each piece, adding more dynamic feels. Lines have gotten smoother, colours more vibrant, shading more natural. I've learned things I never knew I would actually need, and I am so glad I did.

I definitely intend to take the work on the road, which is what I was trying to accomplish in the first place. With a new PMD on the way, I gotta get that comic series back up and running, right? Heh.

Once again, thanks for the continued support and advice. It helped more than you might think!))