Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:12 am 
Site Admin

Welcome, everyone, to Daily Draw #3! Third year in a kind-of row!

The point of this thread is simple: draw every day. From May 13th to June 13th, attempt to sketch/draw every day. Anyone can participate!

Since confusion did occur last year which created undue stress and frustration(partly due to me), I'm going to be a bit more concrete with what I want this thread to be.

So here are some Guidelines:

Rule 1: Draw every day. That's pretty fair.
    Rule 2: Don't stress out about it. The key about this exercise is to have fun drawing. Don't feel like you have to go from the warmup to the finished product every single time. It's all about easing into it.
    Rule 3: Accept critique graciously and give critique graciously. Try to give some helpful tips to people about their art, and accept the tips given.
    Rule 4: Serious attempts, please. This is an exercise that is for true attempts of artistic progression. Utilize a minimum of a half hour to do your work and make solid attempts. Not asking for perfection, but just try.
    Rule 5: If you know you have to miss a day due to being too busy, such as a family trip or just really bad scheduling, just make it known. If you know you can sketch something, but won't be able to post it, then just mark it with a date and post it whenever you can. If you plan on doing this entirely by sketchbook and know you won't have access to a scanner 100% of the time, just keep marking dates to each sketch. We won't hate you for a bulk-post, especially since we have the Spoiler tag.

So basically, draw things from 30 minutes to one hour every day minimally. If you want to develop it moreso afterwards, you're more than welcome. (Note: It's really encouraged to keep going at it after you warm up.) I would advise that you post the DD as a warmup, however. Gives us a chance to give you some helpful critiques if you want to develop it further.

Some suggestions that you don't necessarily have to follow:

Buy a small sketchbook and don't throw stuff away. You can totally get regular paper from your printer and it works just as well for sketching, but sketchbooks have the added benefit of convenient storage and potential time capsule. You can look back at your drawings from before and see the difference in your skills. It's like a cool, natural high. Usually, just a basic sketchbook from Wal-Mart will work and they usually run about $5, depending on what size you want. If you don't want to keep a physical copy (or you're doing this digitally, which is fine), keep it in a folder that you won't delete.
    Figure out your weak spots. If you know you don't like the way you draw something, draw that thing more often. If you can't draw a hand very well, take some time to draw some hands. If you know you need practice with heads, draw some heads.
    Draw outside your comfort zone. Think about drawing things you wouldn't normally draw and try that out.
    Draw shapes. Most everything can be broken down into basic shapes. If you want an easy exercise to deal with, draw a bunch of 3D shapes (sphere, cube, cone, cylinder) and try to make them work in 3D space, with shadows. 30 minutes of shape-drawing is a really good warmup to work with.
    Learn from others. Read books. Sometimes, they can be illuminating to your experience learning how to draw, and they can provide some easy-to-understand exercises you can use for your warm up. Same can be said with tutorials, too, but you better be wary about that.

Links:

Pixellovely - Poses for your sketching
    Quickposes - More Poses for your sketching
    Posemaniacs - Poseable poses for your pose sketching.
    Proko - Great list of videos about drawing the head.
    Ctrl-Paint - A huge amount of tutorials for digital painting. The author also put up a section you can follow for learning to draw.
    Andrew Loomis Books - Tried and true methods on drawing many things, particularly constructive drawing.

---

That should cover it. Any questions or comments about all of this stuff can be directed to me. I'll try to the best of my ability to form an answer for Rax to double-check like some sort of secretary.

As always, have fun!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:32 pm 

#1: The Return of Dylan!

Yes, it's time once again to tackle everyone's favorite inconsistent marsupial!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:35 pm 

a bunch of !#%$, including a couple rejected bowtie and mustache characters
mustache's barbershop quartet would have had a facial hair theme, so everyone would have some sort of facial hair, so we have mustache, and maybe there was a guy with a thick as !#%$ beard and looked like a dwarf, or a dude with huge sideburns or a guy with a unibrow
and maybe bowtie does write awful crossover fanfiction or some !#%$

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:02 am 

Sorry, I'll do some real practice tomorrow. Until then have a crappy moe duck

DoM wrote:
Spoiler: click to show

I like pompadour guy

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:19 am 
Site Admin

Starting off with an assortment of things I suck at: anything

It's gonna be a long haul.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:21 am 

my feelings on all things
forever
(tomorrow's will be more involved
probably)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:17 am 

I DRAWED

I'M SO SORRY

This is a person.

I'm sorry about the cellphone quality, but this was taken on a cellphone.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:07 am 

-DAY 1-

DoM - A good start! I like the variety here, especially your version of F6, the Pompadore guy, the big beard guy (looks like a circus ringleader), and some of the expressions here.

Raxy - I thnk the torso might be a little too thin leading up to the head, and it looks kinda lop sided like it would fall forward. A reference picture would help on both accounts. :)

Falcon - Nice "outisde your comfort zone" sketches. On things like the hand, try looking at your own hand for reference to get a feel for the shapes and movement of it. Helped me out a lot. I do also like the lineart you have going on the coat and fedora man. I'd like to see the shape build of these characters though, because the bearded guy seems to have a long face.'

Elby - Good expression practice. Looks kinda zombie-ish.

MKA - Very nicely done. Always loved your character drawing. I'd like to see the shape build though to see the process, if there is one, but this is cell phone quality and paper so it's very possibly there and I just can't see it. Whatever the case, very nice. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:42 pm 

McKnackus I wrote:
Raxy - I thnk the torso might be a little too thin leading up to the head, and it looks kinda lop sided like it would fall forward. A reference picture would help on both accounts. :)

Yeah, I was just doing something quick to satisfy the requirement for the day. I plan on doing some real practice today. I just need to figure out where I'm putting this scanner.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:49 pm 

#2: Walking Fletchling Hidden Pancham

Okay so Pokemon are really really good for shape building and dang are they fun to draw.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:44 pm 

thank you keming kerning

Spoiler: click to show

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:42 am 

I'll figure out my printer situation eventually.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:47 am 
Site Admin

I dislike everything about this...

Except for the shapes.

And sad Kirby.

You can't dislike a sad Kirby.

I feel like I need to look into actual "lesson plans" or something.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:50 am 

-Day 2-

DoM - I love Mustache in this picture. Well constructed and his expression is great, especially since it looks like he's looking at DoN on the other side of the page holding a pony. I think Mustache could use a little more flow in his shapes because he appears to be made of mostly rectangles, but if you're going for an angular art style then it works. Still, adding in some varying shapes (such as a horizontal oval for his chest and circle for his torso) could help with posing him in non-standing positions.

Raxy - Pretty good! You're definitely improving. I like the coloring and a lot of the implied shapes going on with the vest, and the structure of the body is pretty good as well. I think the shoulders are too far from the body so they look detatched, and the waist is too thin for the rest of the body. I think the head needs some sketchwork done, as if I follow the lines of her cheeks her head would be a rounded triangle. Start with a circle and add the cheeks and chin to the base shape. ;)

Falcon - Good shapes! Though the perspective on the top of the cylinder seems a bit off. On the hand it appears you may have used your hand as a reference but make sure your hand is in a reletively relaxed position when you look at it, so you're drawing a realistic pose for each joint. Speaking of joints, think about the shape of each segment of the finger starting from the knuckle. Fingers taper off at the end and the length of the middle finger from knuckle to tip is similar to the length between the middle knuckle and the wrist joint and palm. The thumb also attatches too far up the palm here and appears to lack a third joint. Look at your own hand for reference and pay attention to the shapes and contours as it moves in natural positions. The girl's face is pretty good actually, though theh air is a little messy and rigid looking. Try to make hair flow more. You gave the spiky haired man a lower lip which makes him look kinda creepy but he looks alright otherwise. I like the faint pose you have going on next to the bleh face and sad kirby is sad.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:21 pm 

McKnackus I wrote:
Raxy - Pretty good! You're definitely improving. I like the coloring and a lot of the implied shapes going on with the vest, and the structure of the body is pretty good as well. I think the shoulders are too far from the body so they look detatched, and the waist is too thin for the rest of the body. I think the head needs some sketchwork done, as if I follow the lines of her cheeks her head would be a rounded triangle. Start with a circle and add the cheeks and chin to the base shape. ;)

I've always heard about adding a chin after you draw a circle, what do you mean by adding cheeks?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next