Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:41 pm 

I might actually get Star Fox Zero, since I never played Star Fox 64, its remake, or even the original Star Fox. It might be good as an entry to the series proper, since the only game I have played in the series is Command, and speaking of, I at least can't blame them for wanting to reboot the series since Command had a whole bunch of different endings, and there would be no way to continue the story without making one of the endings canon and the others not. So yeah. It might be interesting to see where this goes, as I doubt Nintendo wants to tell the same story twice.

I actually thought Splatoon was done with updates, so this is kind of nice to hear. By the way, I'm Level 29 now.

The Great B-Man wrote:
-Paper Mario: Color Smash is announced for Wii U and is coming out this year!! That's good! It plays just like Sticker Star! That's bad... Gimmick is all about color and bringing color back to Prism Island. Devs seem to still live in this special little world where Thousand Year Door never existed...

ARGH

You know what I think would be cool for the 3DS? A Virtual Boy collection game, which includes all of the games that were released on the ill-fated device before its demise. Since the gimmick was 3D, and the 3DS's gimmick is 3D...it seems like a perfect fit! Of course, the hardware being completely different, I'm sure it would take a lot of extra programming to get it right, but still, I'd probably buy it if it came out. A pipe dream, if you will.

Azure Dragon Gunvolt 2 sounds like something Azure would enjoy, if just for the name.

Quote:
-Metroid Prime: Federation Force is due Late Spring. Started as a DSi title not long after finishing up the original Trilogy so this thing's been in development for some time. Wanted to make a story all about the Galactic Federation up against the Space Pirates while Samus is off duty. Addressed that this was a co-op game with standard RPG themes right from the start. Did not address the main concern Metroid fans had though: The fact that it doesn't play like Metroid!

Does it play like Metroid Prime, though?

Quote:
-Rhythm Heaven Megamix, the 3DS collection of Rhythm Heaven games first released in Japan last year, is finally coming over here later this year! Features fan favourites from all three of the original games (even Tengoku, which was not released outside of Japan) plus brand new ones too.

Sweet. I might get this.

I wish Nintendo would come out with a new F-Zero game for Wii U...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:28 pm 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
Azure Dragon Striker Gunvolt was pretty fun. It's a very fast paced game. I'd recommend the steam version for it's better translation though. (8-4 ROYALLY !#%$ up the 3DS version). As a fan I feel like I should pick up 2. This is a series I want more people to try.

Also I hear Tokyo Mirage Sessions: #FE did pretty poorly in Japan, so I'm surprised we're getting it in any form.

Monster Hunter Generations looks nice too. I liked this direct.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:38 am 

Image I'm way behind on all this, but lots of stuff has been cancelled as of late.

Firstly, asymmetric F2P multiplayer title Fable Legends has been dropped by Microsoft and, currently, they are in talks with Lionhead Studios about their future, possibly closing the place altogether. It's very much a British law thing for why they haven't been dropped off the face of the Earth yet, otherwise Lionhead would be gone and done. Like Press Play of Denmark, former developer of Project Knoxville. They are now gone!

Another cancellation that's more bittersweet than outright tragic comes from developer Radiant Entertainment with their really unique fighting game Rising Thunder. The reason for this involves their acquisition by Riot Games, developers of League of Legends, and having them put on another project right away. Word is, though, the developers are pleased to be working on this new title. The current assumption by many, myself included, is that the game Rising Thunder isn't outright cancelled as it is being reworked into a LoL-based fighting game instead of robots.

Finally, one last cancel that this time just announced by the studios themselves as opposed to publisher interference comes to us from Daybreak. Their incredibly ambitious MMO Everquest Next has officially kicked the bucket. Those looking forward to this what sounded like a very promising take on the MMO genre will be sorely disappointed. I bet those invested in Landmark in hopes of making some dosh selling their creations are probably even more so, though Landmark is apparently still an ongoing project and may be nothing more than a giant sandbox instead. Seems they decided to put more focus on H1Z1 instead.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:09 am 

Image Well, this is interesting...

Over the weekend, Pokkén managed to outsell SFV's total sales in Japan. I'm sure they'll pick up once the March update hits though. Really though, I'm not sure if this is a testament to Pokémon's popularity, or to SFV's real lackluster launch.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:07 pm 

Could be both, it's strange that SFV is not on Xbox or PC however.

I kind of wonder if the amiibo card helped boost sales too much given the insanity that is amiibo collecting

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:03 pm 

FSLAR wrote:

I kind of wonder if the amiibo card helped boost sales too much given the insanity that is amiibo collecting

Image It's not really strange when you remember that Sony helped fund SFV, hence the exclusivity. Also, SFV is on PC (and from what I heard, the port itself has been just fine). You can play against PS4 players on PC.

amiibo card might've done something, but I'm not sure if they have the same sort of appeal that a figurine does (it sure doesn't for me). There are collectable card binders for the Animal Crossing series but this is the first for Pokémon. Can't even be used in the TCG so who knows?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:45 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
FSLAR wrote:

Image It's not really strange when you remember that Sony helped fund SFV, hence the exclusivity. Also, SFV is on PC (and from what I heard, the port itself has been just fine). You can play against PS4 players on PC.

amiibo card might've done something, but I'm not sure if they have the same sort of appeal that a figurine does (it sure doesn't for me). There are collectable card binders for the Animal Crossing series but this is the first for Pokémon. Can't even be used in the TCG so who knows?
Hmm, wasn't really aware. Kind of like Bayonetta 2, but I don't really follow SF though I might next time I meet up with some friends.

I mean, it's amiibo still and Nintendo stuff. The fans sorta eat up anything at this point like those endless variants for World of Nintendo 8-Bit figures, and in some amiibo groups, I saw some people really interested. I dunno. I've seen the cards sold out. But I also forgot to mention my unexpected haul for Pokken Tournament from last week! All for the lovely price of $40

Spoiler: click to show

Maybe I do have all the luck like you said. Who knows?

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:42 am 

Image Yeah, it pretty much is a Bayonetta 2 type situation. I recall that Ono even said that there wasn't going to be a SFV until Sony fit the bill. A strange thought, for sure, considering that's one of Capcom's flagships (but then again, where's Mega Man...?).

And boy, do you always seem to get the cool stuff! ...Granted, I never even bother trying to look since I don't like walking everywhere, but I'm still envious of your collection of feelies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:10 am 

Basically. But it is strange, SF is real popular after all. I sorta got Bayonetta 2, even though the first one sold pretty well, but not bad for Sony, should help them out probably. Where is the love for the blue bomber though?

Lately, I do get all the cool things! It's great. I walk just about near everywhere these days that's within distance. GameStop for the poster which they gave me for free (had to buy the game there), Toys R Us for the cel-art where I got the game, and all for $40 due to some price shenanigans. Even better is how earlier that day, Mom found an old TRU gift card and we used it, finding out it had $100.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:27 pm 

Image Got a bit of interesting stories to tell here.

Let's kick things off with something rather controversial by talking about Let's Plays and the game That Dragon, Cancer. A surge of Content ID claims was being made against people who chose to Let's Play this game, sent by the devs themselves. The reasoning behind this basically boils down to "people are just watching are game and not playing it." It was something I'm sure a few have suspected of games in the past before, but it's far more pronounced in this case. For those who don't know, That Dragon, Cancer was a title made after the lead's son died to it and this game was made in reflection of that, just to give others a grander picture of what kind of turmoil the couple had to endure when they knew their son was dying and there was nothing they could do about it. A heartwrenching tale, to be sure, but not one that could be marketable at all in the gaming industry. Hence a more unorthodox way of funding it initially. It's been out for some time now and it's clear some are curious about the title, but not enough to want to purchase the game themselves. It does make you wonder though; How much of a game is it, exactly, if you can get everything out of it by watching an LP of it? Games are all about interactivity, but if it just plays out like a movie, I feel you failed as a game developer, personally speaking. Different LPs of the same game can offer various different experiences (one playthrough of Pokémon might try to catch every one possible in their copy, another might try a Nuzlocke, etc.) because games generally give you that ability, encouraging others to try out their own paths. But with ones like this title, which is so heavy on the narrative, where's the line between "game" and "low budget film"? That's not even getting into the fact that I'm sure some people might find the subject matter to be too touchy and uncomfortable. I mean, it's about a child dying of cancer! That's not exactly what I'd call a grand old time in video games.

I sympathize with them, but I don't know if this was the way to go about it. They have since removed these Content ID claims but their point still remains.

------------------------

So, you all know Hideo Kojima by now. Everyone does, I'm sure. I don't have a fondness for his games, but I can respect him as a developer...

...Well...for the most part. Then we get into former Snake voice actor David Hayter, who himself says that he feels no love for Kojima. I mean, can you blame him? The voice of Snake for all these years and then he was unceremoniously dropped in favor of Sutherland (who was barely given any lines anyway). It's pretty clear to me why Kojima went this route; The man has a massive love for big Hollywood films, so it's only natural to get a Hollywood actor. From what I've read, he's been trying to do this since MGS3 (with Kurt Russell instead). Even the Japanese VO for Snake is considered relatively large in their industry.

When asked if Hayter had played MGSV, he basically confirmed he hasn't since it would be roughly like "60 hours of humiliation" for him. He knew a new game was coming, but he did not hear a thing about his acting role until it was already announced Sutherland would replace him. To say he's bitter about it is putting it mildly.

-----------------------

Over on the Rumor Mill, we may be seeing a PlayStation 4.5 sometime soon. Now, new console iterations are nothing new for Sony. We've seen Slim models and the like before, but this one sounds much more than that. Supposedly has a beefer GPU and better processor and may enable compatibility with 4K televisions (which would fit in line with a lot of Sony's other branches). In short, it is sounding like the console version of the New 3DS.

At first, I wasn't going to talk about this, but more and more people seem to be coming out of the woodwork confirming this and it is just starting to sound more likely to be the case. Were this reported by one site with a few sources, I wouldn't put much stock in it, but since this is coming from multiple sites, all of which have their own unique sources, it's hard to ignore now. One other thing that may hold credence to this involves all those early talks about how the PS4 and Xbox One still seemed behind when compared to PC games. While previous generations could at least keep up with the PC demographic (though were still outclassed), the gap seems much wider this time, with people finding it actually okay to game at 30 FPS! (Seriously, why is the Wii U the only console that gets this?). This is due in no small part because of the incredibly long console generation we had with the Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii.

If what is being said really is what I think it is, I'm not sure how well it would do. Lots of people prefer the simplicity of console gaming over PC gaming because they can avoid these relatively "smallish" upgrades. While PC gamers are used to the idea of paying an extra few hundred to get a better GPU, this concept is completely alien to the average consumer. If there are games that can't even run on first generation PS4s, I imagine people are going to be quite upset about this. In a way, it'd be like all those GBC Exclusive games that were around once the GBC was becoming more prominent (some GBC games could be played on the original Game Boy, like Pokémon Gold/Silver, but later ones couldn't run on it, like Pokémon Crystal). The difference here is I don't think many people will be able to see the difference between standard and .5 whereas GB to GBC had an immediate affect. Again, it's closer to New 3DS really. Most won't be able to tell what the smaller differences are at glance (better loading and nicer textures in certain games, like MH4U) so they won't want to upgrade. Thankfully, those who haven't only miss out on a handheld version of Xenoblade Chronicles (which might actually be coming to Wii U eShop anyway if the EU store is anything to go by), a terrible port of The Binding of Isaac Rebirth, and handheld SNES games that you can just as easily get on Wii and Wii U.

It's possible this might not mean anything at all. But it's worth bringing up. Better bits in the rig can make all the difference between playing Crysis and not...

Last edited by The Great B-Man on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:17 am 

Image Hey guys, take a look: My Nintendo has officially launched!

It's the long awaited successor to Club Nintendo and it's pretty great thus far. No more physical rewards, which is unfortunate, but everything else has been pretty snappy. Currently pushing my way to get Platinum Coins so I can download Twilight Princess Picross.

There are Platinum Coins (these are acquired without spending any money and involves doing things like visiting the eShop or Miiverse on a weekly basis) and Gold Coins (these are given to you automatically when you purchase games on the eShop and your Nintendo Network Account is linked to My Nintendo). There is also Miitomo coins, which are gotten through playing Miitomo, but they count as Platinum Coins. One thing that is a bit annoying is that you can't tell what rewards cost what until you click on it (for example, most downloadable games cost Gold Coins but WarioWare: Touched! is actually Platinum Coins).

Those who took part in the Digital Deluxe Promotion some time ago will find some familiarity to this system with the Gold Coins. While you can't directly change the Gold Coins into eShop money directly, like before, Gold Coins are usually the best way to get either 30% Discounts on titles like Splatoon and Majora's Mask 3D as well as just outright getting whole games for free, such as Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Best part about these download codes? You don't need to enter the code anymore!! If you redeemed a reward and your My Nintendo is linked to Nintendo Network, you can just click "Redeem Game" and boom! It's automatically added to your Wii U or 3DS, just like that! I tested this out with Super Mario Land 2 (it was only about 30 Gold Coins, very easy to obtain) and that's exactly what happened. No more silliness involving logging into the eShop and having to enter 12 characters that I might get wrong. Just click a button and away you go. Finally, Ninty does something modern! Of course, if you wanted to gift the game instead, you can still give the code to a friend if you desire. Though BE WARNED: These games can only be redeemed once! While I'm sure you can redownload them at any time if put on your system, don't give the code away if it's a game you want yourself.

Anyway, now I wait for Miitomo to launch so I can start getting daily Platinum coins. It's supposed to come out today but I don't know what the App Store usually updates.

And one last thing: If you missed your chance to get Flipnote Studio 3D when Club Nintendo was still a thing, here's your second chance at the low price of FREE!

UPDATE: Miitomo's out now. Get on it so I can add you to my Friends!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:23 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
UPDATE: Miitomo's out now. Get on it so I can add you to my Friends!

I would, but I have no mobile device. The Wii U gamepad fills that role for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:42 pm 

Image As I hinted at not long ago, my enjoyment of Zootopia got me some Disney Infinity figurines, which then led to me actually giving the game a shot. It's nothing super spectacular (especially on the Wii U, which has some big frame drops) but it's a stupid kind of fun. Hey, seeing Judy Hopps fly an X-Wing while fighting Frost Giants is a riot!

Man, I was so excited to see what the future would hold...

...Before the dark times, before the Empire...

Like, it just sorta happened? I should've saw the writing coming after when, back in March, they announced they were no longer supporting PC, Apple TV, and Mobile versions (though the Mobile one did get patched eventually). This ultimately made me go out and find a nice, cheap copy of the base so I could play 3.0 on Wii U just to enjoy my Zootopia characters (I would've otherwise stuck with PC, since it's, well, free). I figured, at worst, they would've stopped supporting Wii U because, hey, that's a dead console by next year there's no denying that, but this?

Just as soon as I get into it, they pull out. Is it a failure of the "Toys to Life" schematic? Eh, no I don't believe so. It's more because of this one glaring fault:

NO CROSSOVERS! This is, bar none, the biggest fault with the game and a heavy point of criticism since 1.0. What I mean by this is that you couldn't, say, take Mike and Sully from Monsters Inc. into a world based around Pirates of the Caribbean. You had to use what was appropriate for that play set. Wanna play Pirates? You have to use Jack Sparrow, Barbossa, or Davy Jones. Nobody else! This was especially bad for some figurines, like the Wreck-It-Ralph characters and Jack Skellington, since they don't have a playset and are limited to the Toy Box stuff, which relies entirely on user-created content. As the games got new releases, they've done some tiny steps to address this, but not where near enough. Certain Marvel Characters in 2.0 could be played on some playsets (Iron Man can go to any one of them, but Rocket can only go to Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers, and Thor is stuck on Avengers) but everyone else is still outta luck. 3.0 made it so any Star Wars character can work on any Star Wars playset, but that still means that the theoretical Judy Hopps in an X-Wing is still restricted to Toy Box. If I want to use her, I have to either create my own fun, or rely on others to do the work for me, which as of this news, might not be for very long since I'm at the mercy of the servers. The only thing worth its salt was Toy Box Takeover, a little Toybox game that let everyone participate in a battle against Syndrome. This is something that should've been in since Day 1!

Like, I get that some of the stuff wouldn't have worked. Cars characters would've been near impossible to make work (not to mention the forthcoming Finding Dory stuff; Yes, even though it's being cancelled, they are still going to release the last few figurines, which include Alice Through the Looking Glass and the aforementioned Finding Dory, but that's it) to which I say, "Then forget about Cars!" I know, that franchise is a massive toy seller (even though the films are easily some of Pixar's worst) but if they can't work in the game, they maybe they just shouldn't be in it so that this ultimate crossover thing works? I mean, LEGO Dimensions got it right on the first try (it's just a shame it's just like every other Traveler's Tales LEGO game, only more expensive). You look at the initial concept art and see all these characters escaping a big explosion and I think "That looks cool." The concept sounded so promising, which is why when I first heard of the restrictions, I was immediately turned off until I finally bit the bullet now when I heard that there was some pretty cool stuff people have made on the Toy Box (also, Toy Box Takeover).

It just came as a surprise, really, because last I heard, it was apparently doing well, with claims that it was actually doing better than the start of the whole thing, Skylanders, just a few months ago. Ultimately, I guess the cost of maintaining everything went above the revenue they were getting. I'm not sure what kind of a profit they were expecting, but it wasn't enough for them. Disney is even pulling out of the console business entirely, focusing solely on the mobile market since that seems to be where the casual fans go, though that won't stop them from licensing their property to other developers and publishers (otherwise, that Riot Star Wars game that was just announced is going mobile).

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:48 pm 

Image When it comes to epic game franchises that deserve to be, not just a movie, but a grand trilogy saga, the first obvious choice is Tetris.

...No really.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:41 am 

The Great B-Man wrote:
Image When it comes to epic game franchises that deserve to be, not just a movie, but a grand trilogy saga, the first obvious choice is Tetris.

...No really.

why

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next