Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:02 pm 

Image So, Oculus Rift is coming out in March and a consumer price has been announced. Know what it is?

Five hundred and ninety nine US dollars!

I swear, if it doesn't come with a Giant Enemy Crab demo, I'm going to be disappointed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:13 am 
Site Admin

I like how many people are upset about this. It's a VR headset with a graphics card inside of it to simulate a luxury experience. You're not supposed to get it unless you're really, really interested in VR and want the first iteration of the idea.

VR is not going to be something the public is going to be clamoring to get for at least another year or so, let alone something that is supported far and wide by game devs. Which is fine by me, because if I ever actually wanted a VR headset, I'd probably go for an HTC Vive as I've heard fairly good things about it. If they actually meet their 2016 deadline, at least.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:10 am 

((OOC: Let's talk Fire Emblem: Fates. The next iteration on 3DS comes out next month. It's been nearly a full year since the Japanese release, so you better believe there's been some changes to the localized version for NA. At least two come to mind that have been brought up recently, but I feel like I should focus on the one that's getting the most noise lately.

I am talking about Fire Emblem Amie. Y'know, the little minigame in Fire Emblem where you can pet your comrades (and potential waifus/husbandos). Upon its initial reveal, there was a bit of a cringe when people saw it, seeing it as a bit unnecessary and even kind of creepy, not to mention fairly hilarious when you involve strong lantern jawed Jaiden-type characters into the mix.

As it stands, with the game out, I've heard it's very much more subdued compared to the obvious Pokémon comparison. Minor boosts to Support, really, and doesn't really overstay it's welcome.

Anyway, hope you weren't looking forward to it, because it is being reported that the feature has been axed from the NA release! And boy, all of a sudden, there is a ton of noise! At its base and factual form, this is a feature being removed. There is no denying that, which kind of sucks. But at the same time, one has to understand how a company as big as Nintendo needs to portray itself to the general masses and something like touching people on the faces and rubbing it might not be seen as culturally "normal" in North America. Nothing about this was seen as offensive to Japan, but there is a risk of it creating a bit of a controversy in this region.

Nevertheless, there are some rather ridiculous defenses out there. Remember the Pokémon comparison I made earlier? People are now using that to argue that this feature shouldn't have been removed. This, despite the fact, that petting a house pet as a sign of affection is considered normal while petting a co-worker as a sign of affection could be grounds for a sexual harassment suit here. At least, that's how I look at it.

I'm in two minds, honestly. On one hand, yes, this really is censorship and a removal of a feature (albeit a small one in the grand scheme of things) and thus, we are ultimately missing out on stuff. It's that kind of removal of features that caused the SNES version of Mortal Kombat to be laughed at while the Genesis version saw a large success.

On the other hand, I've got to see it from a business standpoint, and one as large as Nintendo might not want to risk the ire of moral guardians who get all uppity about how impure and disgusting a game like Fire Emblem: Fates could be. Were this a publishing company like XSEED, which is a little more niche and could get away with it, they'd probably be more in favor of keeping the original integrity in tact, but Nintendo is just too big a company and needs to make these tough changes, whether they're good or not.

And sometimes, they are good. Another Fates localization change involved a piece of Support conversation that sounded very homophobic (a female character has trouble concentrating because she's attracted to women, so the main character can slip in a potion that makes her see all women as men to help her relax; for the record, same sex marriage is still in the game) and was changed to sound more progressive while, perhaps, keeping some of the original intent in-tact...minus the potion.

In the end, large companies need to appeal as large a mass as they can muster, and that can lead to things Internet-dwellers might not appreciate. Ultimately, I think this is a Forbidden Fruit situation. If this were the old days, where video game information was pretty much relegated to magazines, most of us wouldn't even have known a feature like this existed, nor would we have cared. Now that information is much more readily available, these things aren't a secret to us anymore, and when something gets taken away from us, we just want it that much more, regardless of whether we even wanted it in the first place. I'm reminded of some translated forum discussions of Japanese Mother 3 players who legit wonder why foreigners desire Mother 3 so badly when Mother 2 is a superior game in their eyes. The answer is simple: They have it, we don't.

And really, let's look back to the start of this conversation; This feature was mocked and even seen as creepy upon its initial reveal in a Japanese Direct. I wouldn't be surprised if those who mocked this feature are also ones getting up on their soapboxes shouting about the evils of censorship.))

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:42 pm 

It's a weird predicament. I mean theoretically you could ignore the 'petting', but knowing it's in the game...doesn't help. Can't deny it's weird.

The moral stuff I don't think applies to games not marketed for children, to be honest. But it's worth knowing some of this stuff is why Awakening was so well received and effectively revived the franchise, which I believe is why people are pissed. Along with how there's been so much PR on this. Plus, Fatal Frame had a lot of PR as well, including censorship and other things Nintendo did, that hindered its overall release. I know people still have issue, especially since Fatal Frame was almost niche enough to get away with it and some of the censorship was not an issue in older titles.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:41 pm 

You know what? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Nintendo made the right move.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:42 pm 

From what I've heard, the Human-Amie minigame actually helped out in gameplay, much like Poké-Amie did. Hopefully they'll put in a more...socially acceptable substitute to even things out.

But yeah, I say good riddance.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not a fan of cutting content at all unless it's replaced.

The "gay conversion" potion conversation was certainly unfortunate and localization changing that is absolutely fair. People will cry foul about how that's "not true to the original script", but the problem with that mentality is that straight-up translating conversations word-for-word in the west is going to make it sound odd to us. We don't speak or consider things like Japan because our culture is very different. We don't see context the same way, nor do we get jokes the same way. Hell, I doubt that the writers even thought of it being considered an allusion to gay conversion therapy. They probably just thought "Let's make this girl have a fear of men and have the cure be seeing all the guys as girls" and had no ill intention beyond it. It is absolutely fair to change that in localization as the intention of the team is to adapt the script to be more enjoyable to a Western audience. And they're not taking out the conversation entirely, but replacing it with something more favorable to the audience over here. That's a much more favorable situation.

The petting minigame, on the other hand, was just a silly and optional (and let's stress optional) bonus that didn't really do anything that the game wouldn't let you do regardless, but it was still something that was included in the original release. By taking it out, we're getting 90-95% of a game, even if it's something we wouldn't necessarily want over here. It would have been a much fairer compromise if we got something to replace it that was....friendlier than petting and massaging shoulders, I guess. Like if there was a relationship boost involved, you could play some sort of odd strategy minigame with them in order to improve your standing. Hell, make it a game of !#%$ checkers against them, I dunno. They should have just added something to fill that gap. It could have produced a neat idea rather than a blank space.

And it's not like that request is unfeasible. From what I know of Jet Set Radio, Sega based the game's city on Tokyo and, so as to not alienate fans in the West, added two new stages for the North American version based on New York. Not exchanged, but ADDED. And there are games out there that had improved the game so much by doing this that they got MORE money by rereleasing it. Animal Crossing's western translation was so well-received with its additions to the original that they retranslated the game and released it in Japan with added items. And Kingdom Hearts' Western translation was rereleased in Japan with a harder difficulty, which probably made bank on both sides of the world with fans in the west desiring the harder difficulty of Final Mix with the exclusive bosses added. Those versions of localization produced a better product, and I don't see how Fire Emblem couldn't have had similar treatment.

I mean, this is Nintendo producing a game that is the followup to the most successful entry in the franchise that had suddenly spiked in Western sales. It's not like they couldn't put that extra bit of effort in while they wait for the Wii U's inevitable demise. But nope, easier to just remove it entirely and try to chalk it up to 'cultural differences" while not adding something to replace it. That just seems lazy to me, a guy who had absolutely no desire to try out Aime and pet people unless they included a Lucina version.

Also completely unfair and silly thought: I kinda find it humorous that petting an anime medieval warrior is taboo, but contorting Mario's face in positions that would be extremely painful is totally fiiiiiiine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:45 pm 

Image Okay then, more news things. I'm a bit behind with some of this, so bear with me.

EA is no longer going to be a part of E3! Instead, they'll be hosting their own events just before E3 where fans can gather. They'll have their conference there on the Sunday just before E3 officially begins. This leaves their usual slot wide open so if someone like UbiSoft wants to take it, they can. This also means the conference floor is going to have some more open space for other developers if they so choose. It's incredible to see a publisher pull out like this. Even Konami was stubborn enough to not give up their spot even though they had literally nothing but a red carpet with a small section devoted to MGSV! I think EA is big enough that, if they want it back, they could totally do that with little trouble, but it's still pretty big.

As an aside, Bethesda is still holding their own pre-E3 Conference on Sunday as well. Whether it'll conflict with EA's remains to be seen. One thing that probably won't be shown, however, is Doom since that recently got a release date of May 13th of this year which is a month before E3 begins.

--------------

This is more or less a rumor right now since there is no official word, but the news are piling up so high, I just can't ignore it: Mother 3 might finally get a western release! Several unique and different sources are claiming that Nintendo is finally localizing this for English audiences, a news that rivals Shenmue 3 in "megatons." Some people suspected this might happen since we did manage to get EarthBound Beginnings (Mother 1) just last year, but the situation is different. EarthBound Beginnings was already finished and localized for the NES before NOA decided to scrap it to focus entirely on the SNES so it was just a convenient thing they had lying around (though from my understanding, there were still some changes made in the VC version). Mother 3, however, as far as I'm aware, has never been translated officially so this would take far more work to port over. If they do it, however, I highly urge every single one of you Wii U owners to pick it up! It's one of my top RPGs around for a very good reason!

---------------

And finally, ending on a note of pure speculation that might be similar to what was posted above, NOA has allegedly been in talks with Toby Fox. Y'know, the one man team that did Undertale. What this could mean, we aren't really sure, but Toby has been very open about this on his Twitter. For the record, he actually would like to bring Undertale to a Nintendo system, but says that it would be a lot of work since he developed the game using Game Maker, which isn't supported by Nintendo in any capacity right now. Still, they can always update with new engines like when New Nintendo 3DS recently allowed Unity to work so something could happen, but as it stands right now, Undertale would need to be redeveloped completely from the ground up if it were to be ported, something that might be a bit difficult since Toby doesn't have that much programming experience (Game Maker is very much a program for those who don't want to learn any sort of language). Still, in one tweet, he did state that he "might as well try." Take that what you will.

----------------

EDIT

Important update in regards to Fire Emblem Amie in Fates! We've got some additional details about it.

Face touching is definitely gone. We have video proof of it now. You can view it here at about 1:26:34 when Corrin enters his private chambers. HOWEVER... that is literally the only thing removed! The Live2D Assets are still there, the dialogue is still there, the bonuses you get are still there...

So for those of you complaining about missing out on features (you know who you are, starts with an F), the only thing missing is the actual rubbing. Nothing else. You've still got your blushing 2D sprites, your Support level increasing, and what else have you from this feature.

...What is removed that is disappointing, however, is dual audio. Not sure what happened there. Might have to do with the sheer size of the game... Xenoblade Chronicles X also doesn't have the option despite the Wii game having it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:17 pm 

I just noticed that the Fire Emblem Wiki has updated its list of characters for Genei Ibun Roku #FE (formerly Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei). There's quite a few Fire Emblem characters to be encountered...

...and they're all from the first Fire Emblem or Awakening. Nothing in between.

DISAPPOINTED!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:54 pm 

((OOC: Somewhat sudden and disappointing news just rolled out a couple of hours ago.

GameTrailers, one of the first major video focused websites for video games for 13 years, is shutting down. Just like that, gone.

A real shame, though the writing was on the wall a while back when they were purchased by Defy Media and a large number of staff was let go. A real shame, nevertheless. They're pretty much the big reason why I enjoy doing my own Top 10 lists. Always liked watching their countdowns. Not to mention it was through them that I first learned about ScrewAttack and AVGN. Gonna miss Final Bosman too.))

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:37 pm 

GameTrailers was always pretty good in my eyes, I liked some retrospectives and their reviews, they always did pretty solid. Not always great, indeed, but solid.

Man, I just don't know how to take this...

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:39 am 

Image After the relatively calm Pokémon Direct we had last week, it's time for a bonafide full on Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 2PM PT!

It will focus on Spring/Summer games for 3DS and Wii U, so those hoping to hear more about Mobile and NX, get outta here!

Predictions time!!

Safe Stuff:
-Star Fox Zero
-Twilight Princess (comes out a day after)
-Hyrule Warriors Legends
-Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation (plus reminders of the other DLC coming out)
-Pokkén Tournament
-Mario & Sonic @ Rio 2016
-Nintendo Selects (first batch is this month; includes things like Ocarina of Time 3D and 3D World)
-Dragon Quest VII date
-Bravely Second
-Metroid Prime Federation Force
-Next amiibo wave
-#FE information

Wishful Thinking:
-Rhythm Heaven for 3DS
-Mario Maker DLC...as in actual game-changing new stuff, not just a few tweaks and costumes (I'm talking angry suns and slopes)
-A new Nintendo Remix title (possibly Game Boy Remix or Super NES Remix)
-Detective Pikachu localization announcement
-One last tease for Zelda Wii U

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:33 am 

Yeah I'm hoping for Zelda U stuff, and Star Fox. Along with previews of what else may be added to Nintendo Selects. Beyond that it's pretty much a safe bet on what you stated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:27 pm 

Image Okay, I was half asleep watching this one, but I'll try to remember everything:

-Star Fox Zero... It's basically Star Fox 64. Like, it might as well be called Star Fox 64. Branching paths, multiple playthroughs encouraged, Andross on Venom, Pigma on Star Wolf... C'mon now, don't beat around the bush! Also, Project Guard is now complete and included in a bundle with Star Fox Zero as Star Fox Guard.

-Splatoon is getting some more updates. Balancing tweaks are being brought to make certain powers for costumes more appealing and to change up matchmaking in Ranked. Also, new weapon combinations from Sheldon are coming out too.

-Mario & Sonic at Rio 2016 comes to Wii U in June and 3DS this month, and does something that hasn't been done since Vancouver in 2010: Adds new characters, including Rosalina, Rouge, Nabbit, Jet, and more. Like, whoa, and stuff! Also, rugby.

-Super Mario Maker update coming March 9th that, again, adds new elements: Thwomps can be shaken to turn into skewers from Super Mario World (y'know, those giant spiky things that would crash down), P-Switches can be shaken to turn into keys, a much wanted feature, which can then be used to open key doors by shaking doors twice, and coins can be shaken to turn into red coins, which when collected, give you a key. In other words, this update better encourages more puzzle-like levels. Keys can even be attached to enemies to create mandatory boss fights, at last!

-Tokyo Mirage Sessions: #FE, better known as that SMTxFE title game that's been announced since the beginning of the Wii U's life, will finally arrive this June. Due to its heavy Japanese nature (takes place in Japan, features lots of J-pop stuff), the game uses subs instead of dubs; the original Japanese VO is left in tact.

-Lost Reavers, the Namco-Bandai co-op game first teased last year, will be going into open beta on April 14th, and then fully released on April 28th. It's a co-op game involving you entering tombs and battling monsters while seeking out treasure and then escaping with it and your lives.

-Paper Mario: Color Smash is announced for Wii U and is coming out this year!! That's good! It plays just like Sticker Star! That's bad... Gimmick is all about color and bringing color back to Prism Island. Devs seem to still live in this special little world where Thousand Year Door never existed...

-Pokkén Tournament is still coming out. All modes give you play coins that can be spent to customize your avatar. Feel free to watch the early access tournament on March 17th on Twitch.

-Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation comes out next week, as mentioned in my thread. Don't forget you can get Map Pack 1 to get all the map dlc at a discounted price, too, with new maps releasing every week until the end of April.

-Another amiibo centric game, Mini-Mario and Friends: amiibo Challenge, is coming to 3DS and Wii U. Scan figures to play courses designed specifically for these mini-figures in the Mario vs. Donkey Kong styled levels.

-New Nintendo 3DS users finally get something else exclusive to them: SNES Virtual Console games, all in its original resolution too! It launches today with the original SNES launch titles: Pilotwings, Super Mario World, and F-Zero, with more games coming down the line, including EarthBound and Super Metroid. For those wondering why it's not on the original 3DS, well, it's because the processor on those machines is complete garbage. New 3DS has much better processor. Did not say if there'd be any sort of discount if you purchased it on Wii U/Wii already...

-Azure Dragon Gunvolt 2 has been announced and arriving this Summer for 3DS! It's more of what you enjoyed before, plus a new playable character!

-Twilight Princess HD comes out tomorrow. Don't forget to buy it.

-Hyrule Warriors Legends also comes out this month. Like the Wii U version, there is another Season Pass of DLC where new stuff will be added down the line, and purchasing it now will also net you a brand new costume for Ganondorf: Wind Waker Ganondorf! Getting the physical copy will net you a new 3DS theme and ordering from GameStop will also get you an artbook. You can transfer the 5 new characters from the 3DS game onto your Wii U (Tetra, King of Red Lions, Toon Link, Skull Kid, and Linkle) plus Ganondorf's Trident weapon. On top of that, when the game launches, another new character will be released as a free DLC for both 3DS and Wii U: Medli from Wind Waker!

-Disney Art Academy is coming to 3DS. Learn all the same styles and techniques of drawing just like other Art Academy titles, only you can be taught to draw your favourite Disney and Pixar characters. I can't recommend this series enough! Due out May 13th.

-Bravely Second demo comes out Marth 10th, though Best Buy members can get it early on Marth 7th. Game itself launches April 15th. Much like Bravely Default, you can transfer your demo file to the main game when it launches.

-Dragon Quest VII is still coming guys, don't worry. Comes out this Summer.

-Monster Hunter X is, in fact, being localized for 3DS as Monster Hunter Generations! The big change here is how more spectacular your weapon combos can become here! Comes out this Summer. If you happen to have MH4U save data, you will also get some bonus content, and for those who haven't tried it yet, for the next 48 hours, MH4U is discounted down to $19.99! Also, collaboration with IS will let you get a Marth costume in game too.

-Metroid Prime: Federation Force is due Late Spring. Started as a DSi title not long after finishing up the original Trilogy so this thing's been in development for some time. Wanted to make a story all about the Galactic Federation up against the Space Pirates while Samus is off duty. Addressed that this was a co-op game with standard RPG themes right from the start. Did not address the main concern Metroid fans had though: The fact that it doesn't play like Metroid!

-Rhythm Heaven Megamix, the 3DS collection of Rhythm Heaven games first released in Japan last year, is finally coming over here later this year! Features fan favourites from all three of the original games (even Tengoku, which was not released outside of Japan) plus brand new ones too.

-A brand new Kirby game was announced! Kirby Planet Robobot for the 3DS. It plays very much like previous 3DS Kirby title Kirby's Triple Deluxe, but features an alien invasion that have transformed Pop Star into a technological wasteland. However, Kirby can use their technology against them and can pilot a mech that also gains Kirby's copy abilities for some really powerful attacks. Also included is a co-op Kirby minigame known as Team Kirby Clash, where you and 3 other players must defeat powerful bosses while playing as a specific Kirby copy ability. Each ability can also be leveled up and get stronger, allowing you to challenge tougher bosses. amiibo can also be used with the game, allowing Kirby to copy abilities from them, such as Mario giving him Fire and Link giving him Sword. Additionally, a new branch of amiibo figures, Kirby amiibo, will be launched which include Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, and Waddle Dee, and these ones also grant unique features for Kirby when he copies them, such as unique costumes and even exclusive powers, like UFO Kirby.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:33 pm 

I thought of Star Fox 64 when seeing Zero too, it almost looked like Star Fox 64 in HD. Star Fox Guard is an interesting addition that makes it worth its price tag.

Splatoon is interesting, and Mario & Sonic is meh but adding new characters and stuff isn't bad. Super Mario Maker getting new additions is great, I'll probably re-visit it again. SMTxFE is interesting...that's all I can say. Not sure about Lost Reavers.

Paper Mario: Color Smash is good to have another Wii U title, but if it really does seem like Thousand Year Door doesn't exist to the devs - and I cannot comprehend why because that game is a success in every sense of the word - then this is another slap in the face...I don't get why they'd shaft Paper Mario. I can get Luigi games, that's the joke.

Pokken Tournament should be cool, might actually get that sooner I expected. I actually have not touched Revelation yet since I'm not too far into Fates Birthright, but I'm hearing it is the best of the bunch. I should pick up Map Pack 1 soon. Mini-Mario and Friends...seems average, I don't have high hopes. I sorta lost in that sub-series after the first game.

SNES games finally coming to the 3DS is great, it's a shame that it's New 3DS only but I got the Hyrule Edition long ago so I'm not too concerned. It's great to have another incentive to use it besides Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. I doubt there will be a discount of any kind if you already purchased the SNES games though, they didn't do that for NES games and Nintendo is so stingy with money lately. But man I can finally play Super Mario World and A Link to the Past on the go again, with Super Metroid accompanying them!

Do not know what Azure Dragon Gunvolt 2 is really, I know a friend picked up one of the games so I might try it. TP HD is, well, TP HD. I hate how only GameStop, and now Nintendo NYC get the OST but the latter also gets a poster now. They said other retailers may get one, pfft. (Mine is from Best Buy)

Hyrule Warriors Legends should be worthwhile, I plan on getting a physical copy so the 3DS theme is nice. I kind of want the artbook, but I see it being cheap quality and probably being on ebay down the road. I get all my new games at Best Buy due to Gamer's Club discount (like with TP HD) so yeah, unless something happens.

Don't care for Disney Art Academy, lol. Nothing against it, but I was cursed with the inability to draw. Also don't care for Bravely Second, but nice for people getting it. On Dragon Quest VII, it seems to be getting a large amount of negativity. I mean...this is a remake right? I didn't watch the direct due to heading home and work. Monster Hunter X is something I'm curious about.

Ahh Metroid Prime: Federation Force, the elephant in the room. I'm still willing to give it a chance, but I stand by what I said before. It's worth noting likes/dislikes are disabled for the video, that says enough. Again don't know about Rhythm Heaven much, but I'm interested.

Kirby Planet Robobot caught me by surprise, along with its new amiibo line. I like what I saw, it looks a lot like Triple Deluxe but the mechs look like a cool addition and I think it should be solid. The amiibo compatibility is a nice idea.

I will say this...the lack of Wii U titles is not a good sign. It's really not, in my opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next