Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:02 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
So...check what the new Call of Duty has you do.

Also, why not 'E' instead of 'F'?

because its 'F' for "Go !#%$ yourself for buying this game you mindless sheep"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:02 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
So...check what the new Call of Duty has you do.

Also, why not 'E' instead of 'F'?
I don't know what to make of that, but I'm going with Mecha's idea.

The comments and pics...are amazing. This one in particular had me laughing so hard.

Which I would do any day. R.I.P. Da Bawse.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:20 pm 

Oh god, it's "Press X to Jason" all over again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:21 pm 

Shredderman8160 wrote:

Image I feel this might actually be worse than that. Press X to Jason at least had a sort of roleplaying immersion kind of thing to it. You're looking for your lost kid. Of course you'd want to shout out for him. But you can totally go through the entire segment without ever having to press X to Jason. Similar thing applies to Luigi's Mansion to press A to Mario. You don't have to press it, but it adds a sense of immersion and connectivity between the player and the character. It's subtle storytelling. We like to joke about X to Jason, but I think in the context of the scene, it works and is real player choice.

This however... It's literally "press this button to advance the cutscene" in a half arsed attempt to generate feels into the player. Rather than letting emotions come out naturally, they are force fed instead, yelling at you to "feel something!!!" To be honest, first time I saw this screenshot, I thought it was a joke. Just someone having fun on Photoshop. To learn it was real, I just had to shake my head. The devs are trying way too hard ever since the CoD4 nuke scene.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:05 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
Shredderman8160 wrote:

Image I feel this might actually be worse than that. Press X to Jason at least had a sort of roleplaying immersion kind of thing to it. You're looking for your lost kid. Of course you'd want to shout out for him. But you can totally go through the entire segment without ever having to press X to Jason. Similar thing applies to Luigi's Mansion to press A to Mario. You don't have to press it, but it adds a sense of immersion and connectivity between the player and the character. It's subtle storytelling. We like to joke about X to Jason, but I think in the context of the scene, it works and is real player choice.

This however... It's literally "press this button to advance the cutscene" in a half arsed attempt to generate feels into the player. Rather than letting emotions come out naturally, they are force fed instead, yelling at you to "feel something!!!" To be honest, first time I saw this screenshot, I thought it was a joke. Just someone having fun on Photoshop. To learn it was real, I just had to shake my head. The devs are trying way too hard ever since the CoD4 nuke scene.
Well said, that's exactly how it goes. And chances are, that occurs in the game a few other times. I feel they've been trying stuff like this indeed since the nuke scene, considering Modern Warfare 2 had a similar moment in the climax. As far as I know, I don't think other games in CoD really had quick time events...I know other games have done this, but it made a bit more sense, kinda. Warning for spoilers ahead, particularly for games (both the God of War and Dead Space series) I believe some users on here want to play

Spoiler: click to show
God of War: Chains of Olympus has a moment where Kratos has to push away his daughter Calliope in order to save her and the world, via quick time. It fits in the general quick time events the game has, and shows how hard he's struggling to do it, emotionally. Kratos has had many moments in the series as a whole as to why his family haunts him, so seeing it take effect in-game works; this isn't the first time we've had an in-game moment with Kratos's family either.

Dead Space 2 has a moment where Isaac has to react to his hallucination of Nicole or else it kills him, by mashing a button to survive the strangle and to have him reveal why the hallucination haunts him (his in ability to let go of Nicole.). The game has moments where Isaac is unsure what to make of the hallucinations, rejecting them, or trying to make sense of them, and has some sort of interaction as well. This was in the first game too.

Those moments work and I felt for the characters and what the developers tried, since it used something tried and true gameplay wise. It did what CoD wants to do, and wasn't half assed. I've used these games and their moments for research papers in college and high school, and my teachers and peers saw what the developers were trying for.

I still say, I would not mind "Press X to salute The Boss" however.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:14 pm 

Image I guess he wasn't a bad enough dude.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:40 pm 

Cormack will not measure up to Price, I will say that much. There's two of them in the series for a reason!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:43 pm 

Image This game is pretty psychedelic.

Screenshots really don't do it justice.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:58 pm 

The way to play Vikings is to XP grind for your team until about Level 10, then Longboat everything!
Managed to get almost twice as much XP as 2nd place! This is the case every time I play them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:02 am 

I think I'm really getting the hang of Splatoon. Had the most paint sprayed out, got 11 Splats, and didn't get splatted once. This was easily my best game yet!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:18 am 

Oh man, are we posting games to brag about now?

Going 28 takedowns to zero deaths, I gotta say, Falstad is PRETTY RAD. People can't handle a dwarf jumping around the map.
Also, posting this on my computer when the screenshot was taken on my father's computer makes me realize, his resolution is enormous.

And man, looking back at your screenshot, you were even the lowest level (from what we can see, anyways), WHAT A BUNCH OF SCRUBS.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:37 pm 

Image This can absolutely be a brag thread. I don't even know where the thread creator disappeared to...

Anyway, that's a pretty rad run of Falstad over there. You are better are representing dwarves than I am, that can be said. I think maybe I'm just bad with Assassin's in general but whatevs. Much kudos there!

And I am pretty sure I was the lowest level in that match I screencapped. Levels are gained from simply playing a lot so, yes, showing up these other squid kids when I haven't played anywhere near as much felt pretty awesome, especially since higher levels also get access to better gear.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:32 am 

I am all about killing as many mans as possible in those games, so assassin works well for me (although Warrior tends to lend itself a bit more towards my play-style, I think, but there's a lot of crossover between those two anyways).

And yeah, that's about what I figured on the Splatoon levels front, sounds good, get rekt squid kids, etcetera.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:30 pm 

Image I figured now would be as good a time as any to finally use my Inkling Girl amiibo and grab a school uniform. Didn't take long at all.

There's better gear in stores once you're very fresh though, but it certainly looks nice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:11 pm 

Image Unlocked the "Azure Dragon God" stage in Evoland 2.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next