Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:24 am 

Image Against what I said last year, you know what? I think I will hold a thread dedicated to E3 as I have done annually time and again. It just brings such a sense of belonging and even though I kinda lost a bit of my cool last time, I feel a bit more prepared to be disappointed this time.

This year, I intend to do something a little more...professional, so to speak? I will have posts dedicated entirely to the different shows we will be having, from Konami's Pre-E3 showing to Nintendo's Nintendo Direct at the end. They will be filled with bullet points for anyone that may have missed them and even have some pictures of the big announcements. Look forward to it fellows!

That being said...here's the schedule of shows now known! (Note: All times are PST)

Show Schedule
Konami Pre-E3 Show - Thursday, June 6th, 10:00 AM
Microsoft Conference - Monday, June 10th, 9:30 AM
Electronic Arts Conference - Monday, June 10th, 1:00 PM
Ubisoft Conference - Monday, June 10th, 3:00 PM
Sony Conference - Monday, June 10th, 6:00 PM

Nintendo Direct - Tuesday, June 11th, 7:00 AM

Last edited by The Great B-Man on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:24 am 

Start
-Self-praise for introducing Dance Dance Revolution: Classroom Edition
-Developer-Publisher program to bring out indie social titles

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014
-New engine: Fluidity.
-TrueBall Tech: Control the ball in any direction, even in the air. Control the player and ball seperately.
-M.A.S.S.: Motion Animation Station Stability. Simulates body content between players. (Did I see a riot in the example?)
-Heart: Essence of playing home and away. Team moral will affect players in their abilities.
-Other features include PES ID, Team Play, The Core

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
-49 Year Old Snake in 1984.
-Voiced by Kiefer Sutherland.
-More focus on facial expressions as well as voice work.
-New engine: Fox Engine.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
-Continue playing as Gabriel, now Dracula.
-Free walking without loading times. (Bold statement)
-Free camera instead of fixed.
-Modern setting. (So I take it this takes place in a seperate timeline from the originals?)
-Spans 1000 years.
-Conclusion to the LoS plotline.
-Coming this Winter.
-Mega64 skit at the end.

Last edited by The Great B-Man on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:25 am 

-Console: Release date in November. Will cost $499.
-Microsoft Points are gone! Long live exact price points!

-Starts off with MGSV, which looks more like a movie trailer than a game trailer (so par for the course). Kojima has trouble speaking English.
-Yet another new Xbox 360 design was revealed, which is available starting today.
-Xbox Live Gold members will now start getting free games every month. Gee, wonder why they started doing this...?
-World of Tanks is coming to 360 as a free title.
-Dark Souls II looks pretty great.
-Ryse is an Xbox One launch title about being a roman knight. Seems to feel like a mix of Call of Duty and God of War.
-Killer Instinct returns! Finally, some good news!
-Insomniac making very stylistic shooter exclusive to Xbox One called Sunset Overdrive.
-Max: The Dark Brotherhood is a cartoony platformer about the dark arts and sacrificing your brother because you're a bit of a !#%$.
-Forza 5 features Driveatar, which pretty much detects how you play and uploads it as a CPU AI that mimics your playstyle for others to play against.
-A new Minecraft. Looks just like the old Minecraft.
-D4 is a murder mystery. That's all we know.
-Quantum Break pretty much is a television show.
-Dead Rising 3 revealed. Lots and lots of zombies and customization of weapons.
-Crimson Dragon comes, from the creator of Panzar Dragoon. Had no sound in the trailer.
-Battlefield 4 showcase. Lacked sound as well. Much awkwardness followed. I lol'd.
-A new Halo game is coming to Xbox One, but that's about as sure as the sun will shine.

Last edited by The Great B-Man on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:25 am 

-Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare. A third-person shooter set in the PvZ universe...I guess. Odd.
-Peggle 2 announced to fanfare.
-New Star Wars: Battlefront teased. Huge bombshell!
-Another Need for Speed. Same old thing. Movie coming out in 2014 as well.
-Teaser for Dragon Age: Inquisition. Art and a trailer.
-More sports. Same thing you're used to.
-Battlefield 4 multiplayer showed off.
-Mirror's Edge sequel announced. Peter Moore "thought [we] might like that."

Last edited by The Great B-Man on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:26 am 

-Starts things off with a game about learning guitar.
-Lots and lots of pre-rendered cutscenes for things like Assassin's Creed IV, Watch_Dogs, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Rayman Legends, Trials, and many others.
-Rabbids to get an "interactive television show" called Rabbids Invasion.
-Gameplay footage of new car IP called "The Crew".
-Gameplay footage of Tom Clancy's The Division, an Online, Open-World, Shooter

Last edited by The Great B-Man on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:26 am 

-Console is shown. To no one's surprise, it's a black box.
-NO RESTRICTIONS: Used games are allowed, no online requirements/checks
-$399 price.

-The Walking Dead 400 Days, sequel to Telltale's award winning game, announced this Summer, with a special Vita bundle.
-New GTA V bundle with headphones announced.
-The Order 1886, newest Sony exclusive, developed by Ready At Dawn.
-Several huge Indie devs on board for PS4
-Quantum Dream showcases Dark Sorcerer. Looks fairly humorous.
-Final Fantasy Versus XIII is alive; Renamed Final Fantasy XV
-Kingdom Hearts III announced. Looks very pretty.
-Assassin's Creed IV "showcased." And by showcased, I mean lagged all to hell.
-Watch_Dogs showcased.
-NBA 2K14 teased.
-The Elder Scrolls Online: Coming Spring 2014
-Mad Max game announced.
-Destiny world premier.

Last edited by The Great B-Man on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:27 am 

Check Back on June 11th

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

I can't wait for all the future we'll see. I'll share it with Facebook and Twittlr but I'll have to make them pay for it.

No, but I am pretty interested in seeing what'll pop up, if anything.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:14 am 

I'm hoping Microsoft will at least try to give the few people willing to buy their giant black ripoff box some games worth while. After all, it will apparently still play games.

Sony has a little catching up to do as well. Hopefully they can bring some really fun games to the table, The Witness and Knack can only go so far for me.

Nintendo is by far the one I'm most excited about, and for good reason. This is the second year of a console lifecycle, which has historically been the true beginning for Nintendo's consoles. They already have tons of games on the way this year, and with the reveal of the next 3D console Mario, the next Zelda, and freakin' Smash Bros 4, they're gonna be starting out strong. Not to mention Pokemon X/Y, Mario & Luigi Dream Team, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, and hopefully Retro's next game "we all want."

I don't know much about EA but if it turns out Mirrors Edge 2 is revealed then they'll be getting some of my money.

Ubisoft just needs something new.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:47 am 

McKnackus I wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:24 am 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
I'm looking forward to Nintendo as always.

Microsoft historically has had nothing for me, so I'm not gonna be paying much heed to them.

Sony can go Either Way. And Ubisoft had a great E3 last year, all things considered, so I'm listening.

As for EA..... they're....EA. It depends on what they focus on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:05 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
McKnackus I wrote:

Well yeah but we already know about Watch Dogs. It's an awesome looking game.

I'm more talking something to look forward to a little farther down the road. Preferably something retro-styled in gameplay.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:51 pm 

Well I can't say I'm looking forward to any one specific thing this year, but if I had a wishlist, you'd best Smash Bros. 3DU would definitely be number one. It's been two or three E3s since they've announced it, and enough time has passed since Uprising's release for there to be something to show.

McKnackus I wrote:
Well yeah but we already know about Watch Dogs. It's an awesome looking game.

I'm more talking something to look forward to a little farther down the road. Preferably something retro-styled in gameplay.

But Ubisoft doesn't really do anything that retro, though, do they? I mean, the most retro I can think of off the top of my head are their Rayman games, but sidescrolling platformer doesn't automatically make something retro. I mean, when I think of Ubisoft, I think of a company that generally tries something new with most of their games, so I don't think it's likely that they're going to do something retro.

I also think of piss-poor PC DRM, but that's beside the point.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:17 am 

Image Suppose I should get out my own expectations too. Alrighty then.

Konami
From my understanding, Konami has actually been finding some nice success stories outside of their gaming division, which is interesting to say the least. Assuming this knowledge is correct, I doubt we will see much outside of their "safe zones," the two major ones being Castlevania and Metal Gear, with maybe a little Silent Hill on the side. Will we see any real surprises? Not likely, though I do count on another Mega64 bit. Always enjoyable, they are.

Microsoft
To be honest, this is the one I am most looking forward to just for the sheer entertainment value it could potentially bring. As the old saying goes, "You only get one chance to make a first impression," and that first impression was a disaster, which means the company needs to bring its A++ game if it hopes to win over the crowd. They can play the "We were saving our games for E3" card all they like, but that still didn't help with the PR nightmare they had to go through, and now, people watching them are going in with a sour mood. If they wanna turn that frown upside down, they're going to deliver on their "gonna kill Sony" statement they made a while go with a HUGE shake-up. In the end, whether they actually do deliver and bring such fantastic exclusives/news that makes everyone forget the May event, or if it just crumbles down and makes them look even worse, I will find something to be entertained by this conference. It's gonna be a riot!

EA
Oh hey! It's the Worst Company In America twice now! Now while I wouldn't go that far, I definitely at least feel they're the worst video game company, and a big reason can be seen in every single E3 conference they've held thus far: They display games that are the same thing over and over again that are nothing more than playing it safe. No risks. No new ideas. Just borrowed from others (mostly Activision). Probably the only thing they've showcased that was the least bit out of the norm that actually got released was Bulletstorm, and I can actively praise them for that (I really wanted to say Overstrike but...that became Fuse, which falls into that "playing it safe" thing I mentioned before). It's possible they may have a creative ace up their sleeve, but in all honesty, I'm not counting on it, especially with their company being all messed up as of late, what with reports of losing money and having their CEO leave them. I look forward to whatever "unprecedented partnership" they intend to provide to next, though.

Ubisoft
Ah yes, the Wild Card of E3. You never know really what to expect from them, save for a new Assassin's Creed and maybe Splinter Cell. After all, last year they gave us the only real legitimate surprise that we wanted to see with Watch_Dogs, which for most people, was enough to push Ubisoft as the "winner" of E3 last year. Can they repeat that and give us another snazzy new title? It doesn't even have to be a new IP, if you follow me. They should go Beyond most expectations and show us something that looks Good and nice. Of course, please don't let an annoying co-host introduce them this time. That's just Evil!

Sony
The favourite of this generation's "console wars" thus far. They've got a much better PR grasp going into this E3 over Microsoft, mostly because they knew to keep their mouth shut. While I can't say their was much showcased at the event earlier this year that thoroughly impressed me and made me feel I need to get a PS4 at launch, this is their opportunity to show us what we are going to be playing on this shiny new black box. (I'm assuming it's going to be a black box, yeah? It was the last two times.) Truthfully though, I am certainly hopeful we will see some Remnants of Versus XIII and Last Guardian show up finally. I mean, haven't you teased the fans long enough? Most will probably move on to other consoles by this point...
But really, all I can expect from this is numbers, lots and lots of numbers, talking about what they've learned, showing off the new console, and then showcasing their games. (Except the ones on the Vita. For some reason, that little handheld gets the shaft at E3 Press Conferences...)

Nintendo
Taking a page from Konami's book, Nintendo decides not to do things live this time. Maybe they couldn't get a translator for Miyamoto this time...? Most here are super pumped for this one, but to be honest, I'm not feeling it as much. Don't get me wrong: I really wanna see how the new Smash is going to look, but the thing is, Smash is a given. In fact, I have to wonder if this Direct will actually show any legitimate surprises or if they're just going to focus entirely on what we already know (I swear, if there is yet another video about New Super Luigi U in this...). Everyone knows Smash is coming, a 3D Mario is coming, Wind Waker HD is coming... so what is their to show that'll blow our socks off? I feel like Nintendo will just be feeding us appetizers instead of a three course meal here. Most of that worry really stems from the supposed 1-hour limit of the Direct, which is half the time Microsoft and Sony are devoting their conferences to.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:30 am 

Well Nintendo is also holding two smaller events at E3 with Miyamoto and Reggie, and historically that's were they put their big surprises. I don't expect much we don't already know about from the Nintendo Direct itself (though any more information on those upcoming games is still gonna be boss), but I feel like Nintendo has to have a few tricks up their sleeves. They always do, and even though the trick last year was NintendoLand, I have hopes they will have something more substancial this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:00 pm 

Image That's nice.

But we're talking conferences/major shows here right now, not the "smaller stuff that the press gets to talk about later". No doubt it'll be good stuff, but I am merely discussing the show predictions, and I feel it is best to keep the standards low this time due to the major disappointment that was all of 2012.

I feel this is relevant.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:29 pm 

My expectations for E3.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:54 am 

Sakurai just revealed that their Nintendo Direct will contain the very first trailer for Smash 4.

Not only that, but Sakurai will also be present at E3

glorious.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:53 pm 

Konami's press conference is up!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:30 pm 

Kiefer...Sutherland.... as Big Boss.

....That is not what I wanted to hear.

*Sighs* I really hope Kojima is stringing me along. I'm not a fan of celebrity voice actors, especially when they Darrin my faves.

EDIT: Other commenters on the net thinks this reeks of Kojimatrolling...

After THIS: http://kotaku.com/david-hayter-snipes-at-konami-on-twitter-511676503 There may be more to this...

And it would not be the first time either.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:46 pm 

Image I slept through the initial launch... I had to catch up later. Sorry about that. I promise it won't happen when the main event starts.

Firstly...whoa, only half an hour? I know the pre-shows never have all that much to show for, but this has got to be the smallest yet. Considering they are celebrating their 40th anniversary, I thought it'd be bigger.

We lead off with their social department.... Yaaaaaaaay. I suppose that's a thing.

Then comes PES 14, their go-to Sports franchise series. I don't know if it's as popular as FIFA is, but I know people want to see more. I didn't know exactly what to make of this as I don't follow "realistic" sports games. Though I am amused that an image of what appeared to be a riot showed up in one screen.

MGS5... I think Azure gathered more than I could about this. Seems to be lots of focus on the voice acting with the Fox Engine in this one. I wonder how most fans will take to seeing Kiefer Sutherland as the new voice of Big Boss...

This amused me though:

@DavidBHayter
Ah well, Can't fault @RealKiefer Great actor, good man. The game will probably still be excellent. Like New Coke!

Finally, ends off with Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. The best news I got from this?

It'll be the end of the LoS series!

Good, 'cause I really didn't like the direction the series was headed (and its destruction of the established canon...which seems to break it even further here).

If I wanted a Castlevania game where I play as Dracula, I can think of one that already exists that I actually like a lot:

Overall Opinion: Underwhelmed, but anticipated that outcome. They might show some more stuff at the actual show, but we shall see.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:06 pm 

I do like the idea of MGS going open-world. It could be very interesting. Lords of Shadow 2 could be interesting as well and it looks nice.

I probably won't be getting either of them though.

And of course, no Contra, so nothing to see here.

I will say though, I liked the aesthetics of the conference. The simple tablet-esque red/white look worked way better than their faux-futureistic city shtick last year.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:52 pm 

Believe me, there's no knock against the gameplay of the upcoming MGS from me.... just the.... casting.

Yeah. Seems like a suspect choice for Big Boss if you ask me. I'm still expecting a Kojimatwist. David Hayter has far less vitrol than one would expect, given the 'Hollywood Voice Actor' debate.

As for Lords of Shadows... as far as reboots go, I liked the first one FAR more than The Reboot I Shall Not Name, and, taken as a separate timeline, it was a great game.... but I am with B-Man.

And yeah, I would love to see some of Konami's other franchises.... it almost feels like Kojima Productions is all they have left these days.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:22 pm 

Image Pulled this off of NeoGAF. Very useful indeed for those who have trouble converting PST.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:32 am 

Reggie's here to ready our bodies.

He also explains why there's no press conference, and what else will be different this year.

Also, Nintendo will have a new Miiverse community: Nintendo@E3 2013, sending out SpotPass reminders for the Nintendo Direct along with a Satoru Iwata Mii sporting Year of Luigi swag for StreetPass: Mii Plaza.

My body is ready.