Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: MMOs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:04 pm 

Here there be spoilers!

I just really wanted to share this for non-FFXIV players. This happens after the Vault, a Lv. 57 dungeon, so if you haven't been there yet, please do not open!

Spoiler: click to show

This scene... The way your character just falls to his/her knees just hits it home as well...

They've upset the wrong hero!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

I'm really impressed by Heavensward's music.

Also Ravanna's such a cool design.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:47 pm 

Lv. 60 MCH now! What better way to celebrate than to glamour back to my classic outfit?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:04 am 
Site Admin

The Vault has such a great look to it. It reminded me much of Anor Londo from Dark Souls in architecture and the overall lighting choice. Music was also quite an interesting theme for a dungeon to take.

Don't get me started on the ending of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:17 pm 

Falcon6 wrote:

Y'know, despite what I previously posted, I was able to hold it together for the most part.

...But that was before you had to break the news to Count Fortemps...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:58 pm 

Image My screen was starting to get a wee bit cluttered with all the hotbars I was adding, so I figured it was high time I grabbed me one of these:

It's been taking some getting used to, but so far, I am feeling much more productive with this Naga. I'm able to move around while using more abilities at the same time!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:22 am 

Image Alexander is out today! This is the new 8-man content that replaces Coil. Unlike the requirement for MSQs, you do not need to have finished Coil to start Alexander. You do, however, need to finish the main story of Heavensward.

The minimum iLvl requirement is 170, which I actually hit just before the weekend, so yay to that! There is no weekly cap to the number of times you can run it, unlike Coil initially, and you can solo queue in the DF if you don't have a static to be a part of. With that said, there is a cap on the item drops you get. Specifically, you get one item per floor per week (four floors, so four items a week). Unlike previous encounters, however, you do not roll on a piece of gear. Instead, you are rolling on tokens to spend on gear. The number of tokens and the kind of tokens you use will determine what kind of gear you can acquire:

Head - 2 Tarnished Gordian Lens
Body - 4 Tarnished Gordian Shafts
Hands - 2 Tarnished Gordian Cranks
Waist - 1 Tarnished Gordian Chain
Legs - 4 Tarnished Gordian Springs
Feet - 2 Tarnished Gordian Pedals
Accessories - 1 Tarnished Gordian Bolt per Accessory

For statics out there, it may be best to rotate what kind of gear everyone should prioritize each week to avoid situations of having to run several queues just to get 32 Tarnished Gordian Shafts so everyone can get their chest piece.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:41 pm 

Pretty close to 170 myself. 164 currently.

It really surprised me that they made it DFable right from the start. I doubt they'll do that with Savage but hey if you're bullheaded enough you can see the content now without a static.

I say bullheaded because really if you're counting on DF people you could use some help.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:04 am 

Image Yooks and I went with our FC group to do a Bismark EX clear. You can see it here (successful clear starts at the 2:03:00 mark).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:39 am 

I'm disappointed the skype call wasn't picked up on the stream.

"So long as no one does anything stupid we're fine." -Me before a wipe.

I'm the guy in the neon green robe btw. (Yehn'oh)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:09 pm 

Image Yeah, fairly disappointing, though I'm not sure how you'd accomplish getting Skype chat in with the PS4 app. Pretty sure it's not possible. Maybe I should record/stream as well next time since I could get the native Skype call, because part of the fun was our reactions to some of the things.

Case in point, during the successful clear, just before Bismark used his ultimate, we all got hit by a stray tornado. Everyone just erupted and it was great! Not to mention hiding in the dragonkillers and calling it "Club Castors: No Melee Allowed"!

And for those who still haven't seen what my character looks like, look for the guy in red wielding a gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:15 am 

Decided to level DRK as my main tanking Job now as opposed to PLD. I just find it more fun thus far. Also gives me something to differentiate myself from Falc so that's a plus. Got to Level 40 so far. Just 20 to go.

Alexander gives us some cool rails to grind.

Meanwhile, even if it doesn't look as nice as 1.0 era XIV, some sights are still wonderful to go to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:40 pm 

Image So, this is a little surprising: The next World of Warcraft expansion is going to be revealed next week at Gamescom on August 6th. I figured they would've saved this for BlizzCon, but I guess they couldn't wait.

Maybe because WoD was absolute rubbish... They coaxed a bunch of players in only to have it drop immensely like a few months in.

Supposed now deleted Reddit post claims what is to expect in the expansion, but like everything else like this, pinches of salt are required to keep expectations in check.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:14 pm 

Image ...

Huh. I think my Falcon6 Signal is broken...

Image I thought he retired.

Image Nah, he keeps promising to be developing characters and such for web comics, but I have as much hope of seeing him post something like that again as I do Randy Pitchford owning up about Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Image Still, I'm disappointed... Wanted to get more WoD thoughts in from the community considering we're less than a week away from an expansion announcement, and instead I'm just...talking to myself.

Image Maybe everyone actually agrees with you and have nothing to add...?

Image Oh, I know! We can fill in the roles of the counter points!

Image But...we don't play WoW. (...At least ever since I got ousted for that dancing in front of mailbox incident on the Spam Thread in the old forum...)

Image This is silly...but I guess it's worth a shot, if only to showcase some semblance of conversation. Goodness, what's a forum good for if not for talking...

Anyway, bad expansion! Ever since I first heard about it, I didn't like it!

Image What didn't you like about it?

Image Being about time travel. Well, not necessarily the time traveling itself. Caverns of Time can be fun because of it, but the fact that the entire expansion was based around this concept was what bothered me so! Time travel is a tricky thing when you aren't careful.

Image Hold up now, isn't the very reason you exist have to do with wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff?

Image The writers and localizers of the Mystery Dungeon series aren't exactly Machiavellian, Ty. (Did we ever find out why the Time Gears were scattered in the first place?)

Image But that's beside the point. I mean, what's wrong with a bit of time travel to see Draenor before its corruption and destruction?

Image Because the plot isn't really moving forward. Even the catalyst for why this plot happens, Garrosh, gets sliced up at the end of the Level 100 storyline without any real spectacle. Not even a Raid encounter.

Image Wouldn't that be a bit redundant considering Siege?

Image That's beside the point!!

Image What I'm trying to say is, unlike something like Mystery Dungeon, which always tied up everything nicely in a bow, WoW constantly has open threads hanging loose everywhere. There are so many questions left unanswered.

Image Isn't that kind of the point with MMOs? They want to leave enough open ended so that potential sequel material can be made.

Image Then why wasn't it taken advantage of here?! Instead of, say, trying to find out what the heck the Naga are doing with Neptulon ever since kidnapping him back in the freaking start of Cata, why instead are we still bothering with treating Garrosh as a major threat?

Image Complaining about story in WoW... Did you forget what they did to Kael'thas?

Image N-no, I...just wasn't invested back then to care...

Image ...Moving on, I'm sure there is something that made you happy about this. Like sub tokens! I remember you liking the idea back in WildStar. Now it's in a big MMO too! Gold without having to play literally every single day now!

Image I do like that feature...but it's kind of moot when the main reason you want that money (Master Riding) is utterly useless on Draenor since they want you to explore by foot all the time!

Image Hey, come on now! They spent a lot of effort creating these worlds! They want you to see every piece it has to offer!

Image Doesn't change a thing! I feel pretty gipped now being able to take advantage of my 310% speed increase!

Image Firstly, you went in buying those tokens knowing this was in effect, so you got what you paid for.

Secondly, they did happen to give you some flying in 6.2, thank you very much!

Image Too little, too late. Not to mention their attitude in the midst of this regarding flying seemed to lean more towards not having it anymore just kind of urked me even more.

I actually really like to fly in these games! Allowed me to spend time in my own personal space...

Image Speaking of personal space, Garrisons. I remember you expressing likes for this freature.

Image Yeah, at first. Customization of a home base, no reason to have to get more characters for more Professions, everything seemed good. But then I found myself literally logging in just to click on things. And then it hit me.

WoW turned into a Facebook game!

Image Oh, definitely! Nevermind the millions of other content, like fishing, dungeoning, raiding, that happen to already be there.

Image And yet, I chose not to participate and just click things. It's not just me, either. Many players just sit in their Garrisons waiting for orders to finish. What does that tell you?

Image That you're lazier than Falcon?

Image I think we have a winner here!

Image Urgh... I'm gonna get some sleep... We'll continue this odd conversation later.

Maybe when I wake up, someone else will join us...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:36 pm 

Ty, how dare you assume that B could be lazier than Falcon. Bad Pokemon, bad.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:29 am 

Eh, I just didn't have much to say on the subject of Warcraft since I only rejoined recently, and my relationship with it is, a bit weird. Amusingly, pretty much the only reason I play is because of sub tokens, the one positive you mentioned, but I'm on the flip-side: I find gold pretty effortless to get, so I'm happy to spend it on letting me continue to play the game rather than just have it go towards some random mount I really don't need, or something along those lines.

I'll certainly admit I'm not enthralled with this expansion's story, but it's hard for me to gauge how enthralling the story's ever been, personally. Wrath was nice, but Wrath also pretty much just road on the coattails of Warcraft III in terms of story. Granted, Ulduar was basically all new and was pretty much the best part, but I almost feel like Ulduar was a fluke of a success at this point (not to take away from its greatness).

It almost makes me wish I had played during Mists of Pandaria, since it does seem like it did a lot of unique and interesting things, both in terms of gameplay and story, but shrug.

I actually almost completely forgot that I had played during Cataclysm, but it basically brings to light exactly why I didn't really have much to say on this matter: Cataclysm had a lot of focus on the leveling, what with completely redoing the old world, and it's my favorite expansion because of that. Leveling and questing like that is and always has been my favorite part of the game, without a shadow of a doubt, with maximum level stuff always seeming like a chore to me. Raiding can be nice, yeah, but that's such a limited part of it, not to mention actually getting a group of people that's both nice and competent takes more effort than I can be bothered to give. I know every time I hear people complain about how a game's good but "it has no end game" it just makes me want to barf. Imagine if people thought "hey, Super Metroid's nice, but after you get everything, you just beat the last boss and then there's nothing to do, why even bother playing it??" Granted, non-MMOs don't require subscription fees, but, well... that's why I don't play games with mandatory subscription fees.

In conclusion: why do I even play MMOs????

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:50 am 

Lv. 50 Dark Knight quest had me beside myself! Literally and figuratively. Those who played previous FF titles (particularly IV) probably saw this twist coming, but it's still great to see either way.

And thus, my new tanking job is born...

...Which involves giving in to the darkness.

----------------------

Image Also, I guess I better finish what I had started... I mean, Elby did respond, so at least I got something.

Really, WoD...wasn't what I had hoped for. At all.

Image Well, what is it that you want? I don't think you made that clear to anybody. Just complained about what was in and not what it is you'd do to improve.

Image ...I guess...

...I want to feel like real progress is being made. I want to feel like the story is really progressing...without the need for high end raid content. Something I had been desiring since Wrath, actually...

I remember getting initially excited about the Lich King being an encounter in that 5-man...only to be corrected that this wasn't so much a boss fight as it was a "run for your freaking lives" thing! You still needed a 10-25 man raid to actually get the "true ending" to Wrath.

I recall in WoD, you get promoted to Commander, and then General, yet I never felt like I earned it. I was never there for the opening of AQ, I didn't prevent the Burning Legion from invading through the Dark Portal, I didn't slay the Lich King, I didn't take down Deathwing, and I didn't stop Garrosh's "true Horde." What exactly did I do other than a few quick favors for people?

LFR was an attempt to fix it, but all I ever hear is how awful it is so I never even tried.

I'm with you, Elby. I like leveling. It's a weird thing to like in MMOs, but it feels like I'm actually contributing, y'know? Now that I think about it, the Garrison story thing was probably one of the better parts of the expansion since, not only did you get to see more of the land and learn more about the characters, there was actual pay off in the end.

Maybe something more like that being our main focus... Maybe, say, and this might sound blasphemous, make the final story boss in a dungeon instead of a raid and make raids more of a "bonus content" kind of deal. Kinda like how there's a "bonus boss" in other RPGs that aren't necessary to fully enjoy the story, but are there for those who want some extra challenge.

Image I think you've !#%$ around this enough: You just want WoW to be FFXIV!

Image I...I guess I do...

The main story concludes with a relatively simpler piece of content compared to the "high end" stuff. The dungeons and trials of the Main Story is no where near as difficult as Extreme trials and the stuff they classify as "Raids." But at the same time, going through this content felt more satisfying, plot wise, because I actually do feel important. That extra stuff actually does feel like extra stuff. I don't have to do it other than to get better gear. While there is plot to them, it's more backstory than anything and never really pushes the main story forward.

I wonder if WoW should follow that same sort of structure...

Image But they have completely different design philosophies! Final Fantasy prides itself on being a story first and foremost. Let's not forget Sakaguchi's own words: "I don't have what it takes to make an action game. I think I'm better at telling a story."

WoW has its neat little plot threads that tie everything together, but I feel that this isn't the meat of the game. It's more about the content, which there is tons of, rather than the plot. Heck, I wouldn't doubt that 90% of the playerbase just skips the Quest Log every time.

In fact, didn't the developers actually state something to that affect being the reason for less paragraphs?

Image Gamers can be really impatient, you know. I bet a WoW player would absolutely hate FFXIV. In fact, I'm certain there are plenty of negative fan reviews for the expansion since it's in a very unique situation where you actually have to finish the story before you can do expansion content!

But that just goes along with what Ty was saying earlier: Different design philosophies. Blizzard wants its players to get to the harder stuff and do that big stuff at the player's own pace, while Squeenix wants their players to see their plotline as was intended and want them to actually go at the pace they set instead.

I think if all you want is story, you might be better off just listening to Nobbel talk from now on.

Image Sigh... I guess you're both right... I'll keep an eye on the next expansion, but right now, I don't know if I'll ever come back as it really was never the MMO I wanted it to be when I first started...

...But what a start that was when I had no knowledge of the story at all! All I had was this big world that seemed so alive! But that magic, I doubt, can ever be recaptured. It's like looking behind the curtain in Oz. Wants you see through the facade, its magic is gone forever, and that's true of all MMOs. But I digress...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:10 am 

Image Starting to take Alexander Normal runs more seriously now. Managed to snag myself enough gear to bump up to iLvl 182 now as a MCH.

For those who need help as to what drops where:

Head (Lens) 2, 3
Chest (Shaft) 4
Hands (Crank) 3, 4
Waist (Chain) 1
Legs (Spring) 3, 4
Feet (Pedal) 1, 2
Accessory (Bolt) 1, 2
Crafting Mat 1 (Gear) 4
Crafting Mat 2 (Shielding) 4

Floor 1 Waist (Chain), Feet (Pedal), Accessory (Bolt)
Floor 2 Head (Lens), Feet (Pedal), Accessory (Bolt)
Floor 3 Head (Lens), Hands (Crank), Legs (Spring)
Floor 4 Chest (Shaft), Hands (Crank), Legs (Spring), Gear (Crafting Mat), Shielding (Crafting Mat)

Remember: Chest and Legs need 4 parts, Head, Hands, and Feet need 2 parts, and Waist and Accessories need 1 part each.

As an aside, Shafts only drop on Floor 4 and you need four of them to make your chestpiece, so I'd highly recommend you prioritize your Tomestones of Esoterics towards chest after the weapon.

And for those who haven't finished the story for it yet, you also get a free Bolt for your troubles upon your first clear of A4, so you only need to roll on 3 Bolts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

Ouch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:31 am 

Falcon6 wrote:

Image Incredible, ain't it? Even with the Token system and the Level 90 Boost...it still manages to falter to a point so low, we haven't seen this since December 2005! WoW was only a year old back then!

But there it is, in the flesh. Undeniable proof that WoD was a big pile of rubbish! They can't get away with this kind of thing anymore, really. 6.1 was really just...blah! Like, okay sure, more Garrison stuff, but then you gotta ask "Am I even playing an MMO anymore?" Then 6.2 actually brought more meaningful stuff over and the only thing people praise was the Raid. Everything else...pretty much not that well liked. Nobody wants to grind Apexxis anymore, Tanaan Jungle was supposed to be in since the start, etc.

Something really went wrong with WoD, indeed, during the development cycle. I kinda really want to know what happened behind closed doors.

They're gonna need something big announced this week if they hope to get those numbers back, because as it stands, while still ahead of other sub-based MMOs out there (FFXIV can barely hold 1 million together, even with an expansion), the dip has got to be the biggest in history!

"No king rules forever, my son." ~Terenas Menethil II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:09 pm 

speaking of WoW
>illidan is back
>demon hunter class with only two specs
>YOU ARE THE LEADER OF YOUR CLASS
>garrison 2.0
>artifact weapon
>dalaran moves again
>violet hold 2: electric boogaloo
>featuring Dante Donte Đöñţé from the Devil May Cry series

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:39 pm 

DoM wrote:
>featuring Dante Donte Đöñţé from the Devil May Cry series
And with that act, DoM set off the seeds of his destruction.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:16 am 

Image Welcome to WoW, pandering edition! We've brought Illadan! We have Demon Hunters now! You can finally equip the Ashbringer!

And I am just looking at it in total apathy. I don't outright hate this idea like I did with WoD since it...kinda sorta moves the story forward this time (Wrathion alluded to a Legion invasion back in MoP) but at the same time, I feel kinda like "Whatevs." Maybe it's because 6.2 already had demons involved so it almost feels kinda soon, even though it's been years since an outright Legion expansion happened with BC. Maybe WoD's sour taste was just that strong and this expac hasn't wow'd me nearly enough to get me back. I'll wait for reviews.

At least we're back in regular time Azeroth, not to mention the Tomb of Sargeras. Also, anyone else find it ironic how it is alternate reality Gul'dan that is taking the corpse of Illidan? Let's not forget how Illidan attained such immense power...

---------------------------

On a lighter note, from Eorzea, Yooks and I finally felled the EX version of Ravana! Bismark was kinda annoying, but this guy really gave us a hard time until just yesterday! Big samurai bug was finally squashed...and we got a bow for our troubles (none of us were BRDs so it's practically useless unless Yooks levels it, since he won the weapon).

Now that we were able to kill it for the first time, maybe now we can do more successful consecutive runs. After all, those weapons are pretty awesome looking, even if they are outclassed by esoterics now.

...Although, if more moments like this happen, we may need to practice a little more.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Maybe it's because 6.2 already had demons involved so it almost feels kinda soon, even though it's been years since an outright Legion expansion happened with BC.

To be fair, if there's any enemy faction that should have a raid lead-up to an expansion, the Burning Legion is certainly it. You can't really go wrong with the demon police led by Chief Sargeras. They're the quintessential bad guy now.

I've been saying since TBC that they should have an expansion where you're focused on your class more than your faction, so the Class Orders system looks intriguing to me. They seem to be very adamant on telling people it's not just garrisons again, so I'm hoping it comes out well. And it sounds like they want to bring these things everywhere, like Light's Hope for Paladins.

The artifact system is also an interesting idea. If the customization is really as far and wide as it sounds, it could be a nice way to make each character unique beyond the talents.

Speaking of, thank GOD PVP talents are separate.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:23 am 

Image What has me more interested in regards to Artifact Weapons isn't really the weapons themselves (yeah yeah, Ashbringer and Doomhammer and Frostmourne Shards, blah blah, badass, blah blah, so cool, etc.) but the lore in regards to you getting them. According to the devs, they said that you'd get these weapons that once belong to "those we've lost and those who have lost hope." Paraphrased a bit, to be sure, but it gets me excited at the idea that maybe Blizz is going to take some risky chances in storytelling.

See, with something like the Frostmourne Shards or Felo'melorn, well, their original owners are dead. We killed them. Twice in the case of Kael'thas. Easy enough of an explanation for our little "inheritance." But when you get to Doomhammer and Ashbringer, then it gets interesting...because its owners, Thrall and Tirion, are still very much alive, and I doubt a simple "Here, you're probably better with this than I am," is really going to cut it (though I wouldn't put it past Blizz).

The fact that they mentioned that we'd be "shocked" by the opening stage of Legion is what really piques my interest. What will happen to these characters (and other living wielders of artifact weapons) that'll make them kinda drop it?

In before Blizzard chickens out and gives you the Doomhammer from alternate universe Draenor because they can't kill Metzen's baby.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next