Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: MMOs
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

Also old news, but they listed the artifact weapons for each spec and a little backstory behind them.

I guess they're doing some other changes to the specs that they're probably going to outline today. One of the obvious things is that Demon Hunter, as noted, is just two specs. A new thing is that Combat Rogues have been renamed to "Outlaw", and may be focused entirely on a pirate theme, if the artifact weapon they have is any indication. Which would be cool.

Another thing is that it seems like they want to bring a LOT more of the world back to WoW, since the artifacts seem to involve traveling to the odd place. For example, it seems like Arms Warriors and Holy Paladins may end up traveling to Tirisfal for their weapon, and while most monks would go to Pandaria, it sounds like Windwalker Monks will get theirs from Uldum. They involve stories related to the old gods, the titans, a few gods of nature, and weapons we haven't heard from in a while, like the Scythe of Elune.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:58 pm 

Image Some changes that got me a bit bug eyed:

-Legion will let you use all specs! No more limits with dual speccing. Be whatever is needed!
-Major Glyphs - Gone! Glyphs now tied to your spells. Are now consumables. One glyph per spell, but no limit on total glyphs. Minor and Darkmoon Trinkets still a thing.
-Rare drops are back. World drops that is...and they are Legendary quality!
-Transmog more like Diablo 3. Get gear Soulbound, unlocks piece in your little UI. Account-Wide, too! They're even kind enough to give you all the gear from quests you already completed, even if you didn't pick a specific outfit from it.
-Professions more like an adventure. Recipes learned in the world, not from trainers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:26 am 

Okay, Legion class previews are all coming this week. We've already got Hunter yesterday, with later today bringing us Priest, Mage, and Paladin.

Image Naturally, I'm most keen on seeing Wednesday the most (though I can't imagine too many intense changes to Prot since it already is fairly unique compared to Arms and Fury) but we shall see.

Anyway, things I took away from during Hunter preview:

-Lots of skills that used to be universal to most, if not all, specs (Cobra Shot, Arcane Shot, even freaking Traps) have been deligated to one spec to add uniqueness (Beast gets Cobra, Survival gets Traps, Marksman gets Arcane)
-Dire Beast no longer a talent; Beast Mastery spell instead. Gets a Passive to go with it with Wild Call, which can reset cooldown with Crits.
-Survival is Melee now! Whoa!
-Lots of new (not really new as they used to be in Vanilla), unique abilities that use Melee range, with the big focus going towards Mongoose Bite, a 0 Focus attack with 3 charges that increases potency the more you use it against a target, stacks up to 6 times.
-So focused is this spec towards this ability, its Mastery (pet attacks give 20% to recharge 1 Mongoose Bite) and one of its Talents (Snake Hunter, instantly giving you 3 charges) are dedicated to it.
-Other attacks include Laceration, a 12 sec DoT, and Flanking Strike, which is just a renamed Kill Command though probably not as strong due to the lack of Beast Mastery's Mastery stat
-Survival Hunters do have at least one ranged attack with Harpoon, which can hit up to 40 yd.
-Marksman spec mainly based off of Lone Wolf Talent, which proved rather popular among some Hunters. Every Marksman now gains Lone Wolf by default, so keep that pet at bay if that's how you want to play.
-Seek Vulnerabilities, a Passive for Marksman, has a chance of applying Hunter's Mark on targets, which combos neatly into Marked Shot, dealing strong physical damage to up to 3 targets with Hunter's Mark, which then applies some vulnerability debuffs that make Aimed Shot stronger. Sounds like this spec encourages you to keep switching to different abilities.
-Mastery slightly changed by increasing Crit chance as opposed to extra shots.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Since Hunter is my spiritual main, I gotta say, I am really liking the mechanics they're focusing on. Hunter has always had a bit problem of the specs not doing enough to differentiate themselves, despite the varied spell and rotation differences. It's not like Rogues where they were all two one-handers with an emphasis on poison, shadow-dancing, and swashbuckling where the way to play is ideally different (not hugely, but still big differences).

If you were a Hunter, you were a Hunter. You either shot good with a pet, good without a pet, or good with a pet again with explosions. This has been a problem ever since Beastmaster got the ability to get exotic pets and Marksmanship got a focus on shooting really good, and Survival has had a large identity issue ever since. Trap gameplay, but you never use any of the big traps? And one of your main spells, Black Arrow, triggered the cooldown for the only worthwhile offensive trap? Explosive Shot because you gotta have something, and Lock and Load because constantly exploding things is totally a survivalist thing to do.

So I love the fact that they decided to go melee hunter again, especially with the way they're going. Having abilities that emphasize working in tandem with your pet while in close range will be a really cool thing if they work it out right, and I like the use of the spear as a harpoon.

I think the best thing about this is that they're going to focus on making talents that work to differentiate specs with other specs. Snake Hunter, for example, is just one talent of three possible ones on that row. The other talent could be one that reduces the charges of Mongoose Bite to 2, but increases focus regen, or an ability that emphasizes the use of Disengage -> Harpoon for increased damage, making a wildly bouncing Hunter spec that would be cool to try.

Before, they focused on differentiating the classes from the other, but that was too broad. This is going to create a lot of combinations if they do it right.

Speaking of that talent switch, I hear they're going to try and focus more on the columns being themed instead of the rows. So you have one column that could be about rage generation for Fury, but the other side could have damage increases, or utility spells. Less about "Do you want to do more damage passively, have a big cooldown, or have a change in your rotation?" decisions.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:28 pm 

Image 3.1 for FFXIV is now out today! I have yet to do the new dungeons and Void Ark right now since I'm waiting for more to come online (specifically, you nerds), but in the mean time, enjoy the newest /sit I have:

Spoiler: click to show

I like it a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:17 am 

Image Warrior notes just came out. Since that's my main, I got pretty hyped up.

Shield Barrier is gone now, replaced with Ignore Pain. It often was annoying trying to decide whether to Block or Barrier (general rule I went with was Melee=Block, Spell=Barrier, I actually have a similar problem right now playing MCH in FFXIV) so to see it get replaced with something that's seemingly better is good to see. Ignore Pain is my new Rage dump, it seems, costing 40 rage but ignores a whopping 90% of the next massive of damage I take! Instant cast with no cooldown as well, so you better believe I'm excited for this skill.

Also, look at this talent:

Shield Discipline

Passive
Shield Slam extends the duration of Shield Block by 2 sec.
Shield Block increases the damage of Shield Slam by an additional 30%.

Shield Block already adds 30% so now this creates 60% increase to Shield Slam, and Shield Slam's cooldown can be reset if Devastate procs Sword and Board.

All in all, this just turned my main class into basically a freaking giant wall! Have fun climbing!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:37 pm 

Image Just did Void Ark with some FC members. Got myself some tanking boots from it since DRK is my second highest leveled job. Had a really nice atmosphere (reminded me of Prison Island from Xenoblade) with some decent bosses. Didn't seem near as difficult as CT was, though maybe it was because I was iLvl 191 when the requirement was only 175. Music was fantastic, as always.

Still need to do the two dungeons and Thordan Extreme though. Hoping to get them done on the weekend since right now, even though I was in a queue when I started today, there wasn't as many FC members on as I would like (especially not you nerds). Once again, I lament my scheduling of real life preventing me from going online when everyone else is.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:13 am 

Full FC Run of Void Ark for the curious that I just happened to be a part of.

Image Also, did the other two dungeons. Good fun, nothing really hard. Bosses had some neat mechanics. Trash was more interesting in Pharos Sirius (Hard) as opposed Saint Mocianne's Arboretum, though I do enjoy the sort of "chill" vibe Arboretum gave. Both end relatively quickly.

So far, the only things I've yet to try are exploratory missions (which I hear drop sick 210 stuff) and Lords of Virminion, that new Gold Saucer minigame.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:34 pm 

Spoiler: click to show

Ladies...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:42 am 
Site Admin

Ho ho ho.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:42 am 

Image That reminds me...

What's the deal with the Relics right now? I haven't played but people seem super angry right now...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:33 am 

Hi.

SO the deal right now is the step to upgrade the new Relic weapon to item level 210 requires to you collect certain items.

4 different kinds. 20 each. A total of 80 items.

You can get these items with, 600 Poetics for One. 600 Law for One. 18 Vanu Vanu Dailies for One. 13 Level 48 Old beast Tribe dailies for One. Ten Alexander runs for One. 1000 Allied Seals for One. Level 60 maps have a 10% chance to give one.

A lot of grind when there's only 2-3 months till the next tier of gear.

To add some content to the non-content, here's an old video of my group clearing something for the first time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:01 pm 

Image Thought I'd bump this up here since World of Warcraft: Chronicle Vol. 1 brings up some...very interesting points, lore wise, that basically change/retcon a lot of things. Quick summary from various sources I've looked into:

-The universe that Warcraft takes place in was created from a "big bang," not unlike our own theory
-The Titans of the Pantheon? Yeah, they're probably dead. Norgannon took their souls from their bodies and placed them inside the titan keepers.
-Titans are born from what's known as "titan souls" or "world souls" (I hear both terms used). What makes this incredible is that these souls are actually inside the planets! These planets work as eggs for titans, basically.
-And guess what? Azeroth has a titan soul, one that is said could actually outmatch Sargeras if matured.
-This also gives the Burning Legion a different purpose for wanting to destroy Azeroth; Can't have that thing mucking about and ruining their grand schemes. Also, void lords, don't want them leaking out into the universe.
-In fact, Void Lords are more powerful than I had initially gave them credit for; Their minions are the Old Gods!
-Speaking of which, Hearthstone finally revealed to us N'zoth, who basically just looks like Ozumat. But even more interesting than that, there is a 5th Old God still unamed in Azeroth...
-Hey, remember the Well of Eternity, that big giant lake of arcane power the Titans "created" in Azeroth's early days that would eventually become the Maelstrom? Yeah, turns out it was an accident from ripping Y'shaarj out of the ground and the well itself is actually the world soul leaking out. Whoopsie... No wonder they decided to seal the other Old Gods afterwards.
-So here's a big retcon: Aegwynn, the only female Guardian and mother of Medivh, was actually corrupted by Sargeras.
-Shadow Priests use the same magic as Old Gods, something I suspected anyway.
-Speaking of Priests, the Church of the Holy Light is probably going to try to cover up this bit of apparent blasphemy; The Light that the Alliance holds so dear to their hearts? It's the Naaru. A whole bunch of Naaru that we just can't see.
-Dragons weren't always these reptilian creatures; They evolved from unchained elementals. Hence their powers.
-Lei Shen, aka the Thunder King, wanted to continue the Titan's work...so he stole Ra-den's power. Not one for diplomacy, that Lei Shen.
-Also, those "brightest stars" Wrathion saw? More world souls.
-The Halls of Valor is just a floating piece of Ulduar.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:52 am 

Image Played a little FFXIV today. Got DRK to 60 so there's another Tank if you need it, fellas.

Gonna work towards getting NIN up there next since I already have DEX gear. Since MCH is more support DPS, it'd be nice to get one that is pure damaging if you need that instead.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:30 am 

I love patch time, especially this kind of patch time!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next