Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: MMOs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:09 pm 

speaking of WoW
>illidan is back
>demon hunter class with only two specs
>YOU ARE THE LEADER OF YOUR CLASS
>garrison 2.0
>artifact weapon
>dalaran moves again
>violet hold 2: electric boogaloo
>featuring Dante Donte Đöñţé from the Devil May Cry series

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:39 pm 

DoM wrote:
>featuring Dante Donte Đöñţé from the Devil May Cry series
And with that act, DoM set off the seeds of his destruction.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:16 am 

Image Welcome to WoW, pandering edition! We've brought Illadan! We have Demon Hunters now! You can finally equip the Ashbringer!

And I am just looking at it in total apathy. I don't outright hate this idea like I did with WoD since it...kinda sorta moves the story forward this time (Wrathion alluded to a Legion invasion back in MoP) but at the same time, I feel kinda like "Whatevs." Maybe it's because 6.2 already had demons involved so it almost feels kinda soon, even though it's been years since an outright Legion expansion happened with BC. Maybe WoD's sour taste was just that strong and this expac hasn't wow'd me nearly enough to get me back. I'll wait for reviews.

At least we're back in regular time Azeroth, not to mention the Tomb of Sargeras. Also, anyone else find it ironic how it is alternate reality Gul'dan that is taking the corpse of Illidan? Let's not forget how Illidan attained such immense power...

---------------------------

On a lighter note, from Eorzea, Yooks and I finally felled the EX version of Ravana! Bismark was kinda annoying, but this guy really gave us a hard time until just yesterday! Big samurai bug was finally squashed...and we got a bow for our troubles (none of us were BRDs so it's practically useless unless Yooks levels it, since he won the weapon).

Now that we were able to kill it for the first time, maybe now we can do more successful consecutive runs. After all, those weapons are pretty awesome looking, even if they are outclassed by esoterics now.

...Although, if more moments like this happen, we may need to practice a little more.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Maybe it's because 6.2 already had demons involved so it almost feels kinda soon, even though it's been years since an outright Legion expansion happened with BC.

To be fair, if there's any enemy faction that should have a raid lead-up to an expansion, the Burning Legion is certainly it. You can't really go wrong with the demon police led by Chief Sargeras. They're the quintessential bad guy now.

I've been saying since TBC that they should have an expansion where you're focused on your class more than your faction, so the Class Orders system looks intriguing to me. They seem to be very adamant on telling people it's not just garrisons again, so I'm hoping it comes out well. And it sounds like they want to bring these things everywhere, like Light's Hope for Paladins.

The artifact system is also an interesting idea. If the customization is really as far and wide as it sounds, it could be a nice way to make each character unique beyond the talents.

Speaking of, thank GOD PVP talents are separate.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:23 am 

Image What has me more interested in regards to Artifact Weapons isn't really the weapons themselves (yeah yeah, Ashbringer and Doomhammer and Frostmourne Shards, blah blah, badass, blah blah, so cool, etc.) but the lore in regards to you getting them. According to the devs, they said that you'd get these weapons that once belong to "those we've lost and those who have lost hope." Paraphrased a bit, to be sure, but it gets me excited at the idea that maybe Blizz is going to take some risky chances in storytelling.

See, with something like the Frostmourne Shards or Felo'melorn, well, their original owners are dead. We killed them. Twice in the case of Kael'thas. Easy enough of an explanation for our little "inheritance." But when you get to Doomhammer and Ashbringer, then it gets interesting...because its owners, Thrall and Tirion, are still very much alive, and I doubt a simple "Here, you're probably better with this than I am," is really going to cut it (though I wouldn't put it past Blizz).

The fact that they mentioned that we'd be "shocked" by the opening stage of Legion is what really piques my interest. What will happen to these characters (and other living wielders of artifact weapons) that'll make them kinda drop it?

In before Blizzard chickens out and gives you the Doomhammer from alternate universe Draenor because they can't kill Metzen's baby.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:23 pm 

Spoiler: click to show

Jazz hands!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

The Great B-Man wrote:
In before Blizzard chickens out and gives you the Doomhammer from alternate universe Draenor because they can't kill Metzen's baby.

I bet you get the second Doomhammer that way.

Either that or Enhance becomes a two-handed class again. Wouldn't that be weird.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:39 pm 

((OOC: WildStar went F2P not long ago. Since I didn't really have anything to lose, decided to try it again. It's improved slightly, no where near "Realm Reborn" levels but they have been getting better.

But truthfully...

I play it for the sexy characters.
))

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:11 am 

((OOC: I really do enjoy the animation quality. Maybe I only came back to see my Chua dance around again...

See for yourselves!))

Idle 1
/talk
/clap
/drink
/shrug
/taunt
/makeitrain
Rapid Fire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:47 pm 

That is actually really fantastic animation for an MMO... actually for a game in general.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:15 am 

((OOC: Indeed, it's animation and style is what drew me to WildStar in the first place. Like something ripped out of a morning cartoon...only with more violence. It's a T-Rated TF2, if you think about it.

Seriously, I could watch these all day.))

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:08 pm 

Image Alright, let's get three different discussions going at the exact same side, shall we? At least, the three I've been playing as of late:

-------------

WildStar

I had restarted my characters when it relaunched in a F2P mode. It has taken me a much shorter amount of time to hit the same level as I was when I first left initially. A few things I've taken notice:
-Leveling grind was greatly reduced, which is fine since a lot of the quests can be quite rubbish, especially early on.
-Seems to be more dungeons and expeditions early on now. I remember needing to be around 20 to get the first one. Now it seems I only need to be 10, and even then, it's more of a training session.
-Speaking of training sessions, everyone gets a quest to teach them their "support" role, which is neat to see.
-Things like "Brutality" "Finese" "Moxie" ...that's all gone now for pure Assault or Support power with a few bonus stats in between (Crit, Multi-hit, etc.). Makes deciding what armor to wear much easier now.
-F2P seems surprisingly generous. Or maybe it's just because I found SWTOR's so insufferable, any other method is better than that one. Auction limits and inabilities to create Guilds/Circles is sure to hurt though.
-UI seems better adjusted, though me being spoiled by the flexibility FFXIV gives you with UI customization made me really want to switch certain things around still (for example, I'm not a fan of where the character bars are located).
-House plots seem bigger, so I guess if you wanna put more stuff outside, go nuts.
-Still some bad glitching, which I find amazing considering it's been a year now. Certain things won't appear on my UI, for example, unless I reload the UI itself, which I shouldn't be doing every other hour or so. Worst though is that, seemingly after every maint, my costume disappears off me and I have to re-add it. This wouldn't be that big a deal if reapplying dyes didn't also cost money/service tokens. This needs fixing bad.
-Still wish there was better quest interaction other than simple text boxes. Would've liked the option to feel more "story-like" kinda like how GW2 does its story quests. I saw a mod for WoW some time ago that does something exactly what I want, which long story short made it seem like your character was interacting with the NPCs. Static text boxes that were actually hard for me to read initially was making it hard to feel immersed, even when the dialog was potentially good.
-Tons of group quests had been lowered to just 2+, no doubt due to dwindling populations. There aren't even many servers left.
-Auto sprinting is a thing, which improves QOL.

I'll probably continue along, though I wish I had others to play with.

----------------

FFXIV

Been taken a break after it became difficult for my static to continue along with trying to push Alex Savage aside, which meant I felt little reason to keep going. Thankfully, Patch 3.1 is finally almost here. I've been clamoring for new stuff for quite some time now. Especially new dungeons because, gods, I can't stand those two Experts any longer! It's why I haven't finished my Eso set of gear yet.

Anyway, new 24-man to hit us up with, should be a grand time. Surprised by the iLvl of the equipment however.

-----------------

WoW

Haven't played in months (I knew I'd dislike WoD) but with BlizzCon on the horizon for this weekend, it's high time to start thinking about it again. No rush to play, but I'd like to learn more about Legion to see if I'm going to seriously try it again. At least we can put stupid time stuff behind us and start looking forward again in terms of plot, right?

Also, had a look at what Prot Warriors got for Artifact Weapons and this particular blurb got me kinda hyped:

Protection warriors will follow up on the legends of an ancient vrykul king who was buried with the sword and shield forged from the scales of Neltharion.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

Nice.

Some blurbs so far:
    *Part of the Demon Hunter's story is set in the past.
    *Expansion starts with 20 Horde and 20 Alliance fighting at the Broken Shore. Something happens, and that will probably entail creating the class halls.
    *4 leveling zones, scaled to you. You aren't scaled up, but the zone itself is. You can pick whichever you want to start with, and whichever you want to finish with. All leads to Suramar at max level. Makes me think they're going to try and focus on something akin to that for the next expansion, a sort of rescaling of the entire world. Especially if the Legion invading is as world-changing as they say it is.
    *Dungeons operate the same way. It scales to your group. That would be a nice change. Timewalking is good and all, but it'd be great if they expanded the concept to leveling dungeons. Even raids. Something like XIV's model would be great, especially if it means making encounters more unique in the old world.
    *The "garrison mission" model is now focused more on you doing them. They can range from fighting to PVP to gathering missions. More than likely a more varied version of the daily you'd get at the mission table. A daily quest system, but choice-based. They apparently want to make sure you can choose to go back to whatever zone you want.
    *Objectives for the zones that could take weeks to months to complete. Would be neat if the idea works out, especially if it shows a marked improvement as you go along. Something akin to the Isle of Quel'danas, Isle of Thunder, and Silithus.
    *Two raids. One is the Emerald Nightmare which apparently includes a Cenarius fight. The second is Suramar Palace, which has Gul'dan.
    *Bunch of weapons for every spec, even those that have similar specs, such as Assassination and Subtlety Rogues having two different sets of daggers.
    *They want to focus on overwhelming you with choices.

I'm intrigued.

Also Patch 3.1 for XIV is bringing a buff to Paladin and I'm more than happy for that. I'm also leveling an Astrologian while Yokuba works with Machinist, but I've stopped at 50 as leveling will see a marked improvement. So far, I may end up liking it more than Scholar.
One day I'll find the glamour for her.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:28 pm 

Image I will say, I have a much more positive look towards Legion than I ever did for WoD. That expansion was everything I feared it would become in terms of plot, and then some. Still wish we could get more unanswered questions, but at least the story is going forward this time, not backwards.

Also tempted to level as a DPS first this time simply because, even 5 years later, I am still bothered by that one time in Cata when I got kicked seemingly without warning while trying to tank without anyone helping. I've gotten better at dealing with these situations, but playing anything but DPS these days makes me a nervous wreck in groups, even though you guys tell me I'm actually good. Anyway, free Lv. 100 Boost, not sure if I'll use it on my Druid or Hunter. Warrior is already 100 so that's no worry.

Zone scaling is very interesting and I hope it works as well as they say it does. Not sure how this could affect group questing. They said that playing with friends will be made more interesting due to the scaling, but what about Group Quest monsters? How can fighting a single powerful enemy have the same outcome when both you and your friend(s) have hugely different levels? I guess there will be some exceptions.

Scaling dungeons sounds decent too. I'm in agreement that using the model XIV would make some lick of sense.

Not much else to say. Still want to know what this "most exciting feature" they've teased about is supposed to be, since while I am more intrigued by this expansion, I'm still not on any sort of hype train as of yet.

------------------------------

XIV -- Oh hey, bare-fisted monks can be done now! I might have to go back to leveling MNK now. But gods, are we really going to have to deal with just two Expert Roulette Dungeons for several months again?! Part of the reason I stopped was because it got super boring doing the same thing over and over again, and a big reason was because there were only two dungeons at the time. If they were to keep FC and Never in Expert, this could've helped remove some of the mundane a bit for me.

Also, new sitting animations hype! Finally, I can sit down in a pose that actually looks comfortable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, you just gotta take the random !#%$ in queues with a grain of salt, instead of taking the entire bag of salt they're throwing.

I got kicked recently for burning a Balance card at the very start of a low level roulette. Yokuba can attest to it. Sure, I was sassy when they got upset about it, but still. Point is, can't let the people you're probably never going to see again get to you.

---

As far as 3.1 is concerned, at least they said they want to go back to the 3 month patch model. I'm hoping that's the case.

And hey, if roulettes aren't your thing, at least that island adventure stuff for free companies may be cool.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next