Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:04 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:47 pm 

This looks very promising. I'm excited to see what the future has in store.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:46 am 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
Fingers crossed. Here's hoping it does better than the Wii U. But I'm optimistic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:32 pm 

Azure wrote:
Fingers crossed. Here's hoping it does better than the Wii U. But I'm optimistic.

I have a good feeling it will do better than the Wii U. From what I understand, a lot of the Wii U's failings came from its pricing (mostly due to the cost of the GamePad) and its name, which suggested that it was just an expansion to the Wii. We don't have to worry about the name thing, and hopefully the Switch, being its own single package (unless the dock is costly), will be cheaper than the Wii U.

Also, the Wii U didn't have a lot of third-party support. The Switch does.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:18 am 

*sees From Software and Bandai Namco*

Kart Souls confirmed.

Let's hope the third party support actually sticks. Many of them could jump ship for all we know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:04 am 

Shredderman8160 wrote:
*sees From Software and Bandai Namco*

Kart Souls confirmed.

Lost Kingdoms III, actually.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:25 am 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
Now I could get behind a Lost Kingdoms III.

...Konami still makes games?

...probably gonna get hit for that one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:54 am 

Azure wrote:
...Konami still makes games?

Image Pachinko confirmed for Switch!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:45 pm 

I think this could be great. Hope it shows Nintendo learned from the Wii U's mistakes, but man it's a shame that system bit the dust. I was hoping it would pull a complete 180 and get some quality games without 'Zelda' in the title. I wonder if this may set Nintendo back since the PS5 and XB2 (or whatever it's called) get announced and release, they'll have to make another system, but it may not be that far off at this point.

Still, what was shown is a great idea. It's definitely building on the Wii U's good ideas and seems to be trimming a few less then stellar ones. But I want to see specs, and see where it goes. Along with how true that third party support is. Ubisoft was perhaps the biggest supporter of the Wii U on release, and then they just dropped it.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:34 pm 

FSLAR wrote:
I think this could be great. Hope it shows Nintendo learned from the Wii U's mistakes, but man it's a shame that system bit the dust. I was hoping it would pull a complete 180 and get some quality games without 'Zelda' in the title. I wonder if this may set Nintendo back since the PS5 and XB2 (or whatever it's called) get announced and release, they'll have to make another system, but it may not be that far off at this point.

Still, what was shown is a great idea. It's definitely building on the Wii U's good ideas and seems to be trimming a few less then stellar ones. But I want to see specs, and see where it goes. Along with how true that third party support is. Ubisoft was perhaps the biggest supporter of the Wii U on release, and then they just dropped it.

Image This trailer was more or less meant to convey the idea across. It can be played on the TV, and you can take it with you anywhere. Bam. Done. Didn't want to overcomplicate things, I'd imagine.

There is another even coming January 12th that will answer some questions, including specs and price. Personally, I wanna know what the battery life is.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:20 pm 

Yeah same, I hated the Wii U's pitiful battery life. And how if you wanted something better, you had to buy a battery and install it yourself.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:21 am 

Image Yep, it was pretty bad. I really needed to get one of those updated ones to enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles X. That thing drinks so much juice...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:15 pm 

I could not bring myself to buy one of those batteries, it's basically like 'I'm literally paying for a really stupid mistake on Nintendo's part. That's not ok.'. I usually sit close to a power strip or outlet so I can just grab the cord and plug it in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:44 am 

Image So, the big old Switch press event happened last night (with a Treehouse Stream happening as I type this). Here's what we learned:

-The Switch will launch March 3rd, 2017.
-The MSRP will be $299.99 USD.
-There is a revamped online service that will have a paid subscription this time. When the console launches, it'll be free, but the payment plan will be put into effect in the Fall. The online service makes use of smart devices to connect with friends and schedule play times and voice chat.
-Region-locking is GONE! The Switch is Region Free.
-The Joy-Cons have gyro controls.
-The Right Joy-Con has an IR sensor, which can scan amiibo and also register objects such as your hand.
-The new HD Rumble feature has more adaptive rumble capabilities. One example is being able to feel ice cubes sliding around in a glass, and how much "lighter" the controller feels when you empty it.
-The L and R buttons on the Joy-Cons connect directly to the console/grip.
-There is a share button. At first, you can only take screenshots, but you will eventually be able to save videos too. These can be posted directly to social media.
-There is a wrist strap for both Joy-Cons that feel firm and snug and help push the L and R buttons out further.
-At launch, there will be two different coloured sets of Joy-Cons: The standard Grey ones we've seen, and a Blue+Red combo.
-First announced title is 1-2 Switch, which looks to be a reaction based game where you don't even look at the screen. Let's two people play. Available at launch.
-Next new title is ARMS, a long reaching fighting game that uses the Joy-Cons as boxing gloves to hit far reaching opponents as if you were Mr. Fantastic. Comes out Spring.
-Splatoon 2 officially revealed. Direct sequel. New and updated maps, brand new weapons (such as duel splatters), new super weapons, and more to be revealed. Comes out Summer.
-Super Mario Odyssey revealed. Brand new 3D Mario adventure more like Super Mario 64 and Sunshine. Has Mario traversing strange new worlds and can use his cap to solve puzzles and reach out of reach areas. Comes out this Holiday season.
-Xenoblade Chronicles 2, a direct sequel to the original Wii game, announced. Slated to arrive in Japan in 2017.
-Fire Emblem Warriors also announced, though no date yet. We do get a glimpse of the Fire Emblem from Awakening and what appears to be Chrom in the teaser.
-Dragon Quest X and XI both coming to the Switch, as well as both Dragon Quest Heroes titles.
-A new Shin Megami Tensei game has been announced for Switch.
-Project Octopath Traveller, a new RPG from the Bravely Default devs, announced.
-Skyrim officially announced for Switch, coming this Fall.
-A new game starring Travis Touchdown of No More Heroes fame is to be in development by Suda51.
-FIFA is coming to Switch. Woo.
-Switch boxes come with the console, two Joy-Cons, Joy-Con Grip, the dock, an AC Adapter, and an HDMI Cable. The Pro Controller and USB-C cables sold separately.
-Final Switch Trailer is for Zelda, which concludes by confirming that it is a launch title. It will also be on Wii U on the same day.

Things announced NOT shown in the presentation include:

-The console has 32GB of internal storage but can be expanded useing Micro SD cards. However, games are pretty beefy (Zelda alone takes about 14 GB). But it has been confirmed that it can support up to 256 GB Micro SD cards.
-The paid online service is only required to play online. You don't need it for the share button or to go to the eShop or manage friends. However, having a subscription does give benefits, such as a monthly free VC game from NES or SNES and special discounts on the eShop.
-Virtual Console games will actually have online multiplayer, shockingly enough.
-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is an updated version of the Wii U game, with 4 new characters (Inkling Girl/Boy, King Boo, Bowser Jr. Dry Bones) and an improved Battle Mode.
-Arcade Archive is a small collection of NEO-GEO games, including King of Fighters '97 and Metal Slug 3.
-Disgaea 5 Complete will arrive on the system not too long after launch.
-Puyo Puyo Tetris will get an English release on the Switch for the very first time (as well as PS4).
-I Am Setsuna will launch with the console.
-Sonic Mania is, in fact, coming to Switch along with the new Sonic title coming later in 2017.
-Bomberman is still alive with Super Bomberman R coming out at launch.
-Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers will arrive onto Switch as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:09 pm 

I am mildly surprised, but pleasantly so, to learn that Splatoon is getting a sequel so soon. There's one game I want to buy.

I didn't buy Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U, as I've learned to pace myself and get only every other release. This, however, looks like an ideal time to get the game, as it apparently has everything the original has and then some, including improving its only drawback (as far as ProJared was concerned, anyway) in the Battle Mode. There's another game I want to buy.

I also didn't expect a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles so soon. Only some time ago I was wondering how they would possibly name a direct sequel to the first game, since Xenoblade Chronicles X apparently takes place in a different universe (I still haven't played it; I'm saving it for sometime special), other than to just slap the number 2 onto it, and apparently that's what they're doing. It seems rather uninspired, but I don't know how they could take it any other direction. (I think they could have named X something other than Xenoblade Chronicles; maybe just "Xenoblade 'something different'" since it's not like there are any other games that use the Xenoblade name; that way, at least they could have named a direct sequel "Xenoblade Chronicles: 'something more creative' if necessary. I dunno, I guess I'm nitpicking. Does the "X" in Xenoblade Chronicles X even mean anything?) On the subject of nitpicking, am I alone in disliking the artistic direction the series has taken starting with X? Everything seems to be getting more blatantly anime whereas the original had a nice, realistic style that set it apart from a lot of other games. Why couldn't a direct sequel keep that look?

Fire Emblem Warriors sounds cool in concept. Here's hoping it will integrate more games than Tokyo Mirage Sessions did.

I like how Super Mario Odyssey is a sandbox-type game like 64 and Sunshine. There's another game I want to buy.

ARMS also seems cool. I don't know if I'll buy it yet, but I'll keep an eye on it.

I wasn't sure how to feel about 1 2 Switch, but after hearing the explanation on it, it seems like a pretty neat idea for a party game. I may not buy it, though, due to how small my household is and how we never have friends over.

I was surprised to see that Konami has actually shown interest in keeping Bomberman alive. I may buy Super Bomberman R (which would be my first Bomberman title) just to show my support.

Oh yeah, and Breath of the Wild looks much more amazing now that we have characters shown off. I'll probably buy it for the Wii U, because a large part of me wants to hold off on buying the Switch in order to give Nintendo time to fine-tune it and release a better version down the line, as they tend to do. Plus, the Sheikah Slate in the game looks like it was made to integrate the GamePad, so why not run with that?