Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:13 pm 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
Hey Everyone! I know I have a reputation as the quiet one around here, so I thought I'd contribute in a way that felt kind of true to me.

I love music, VG Music, Rock, Orchestral, the list goes on really. You have to know this from my most active and favorite thread.

But now I'm just going in a tangent here. This is my top ten favorite Character Select themes. If one didn't make the list that you love, feel free to post! Note that only the top 3 will be embedded, the rest will be linked!

Due to it being the nature of the beast, most of these will be fighting games. Also, I will be limiting it to one game per franchise. The higher ranking ones are songs I'd more likely just sit down and listen to, everything on this list is serviceable for what it does.

10. Mega Man X5
This song... is kind of repetetive. It does it's job of setting the player up for the game, but the loop really could have been longer.

9. Epic Calling! (Soul Edge)
Soul Edge really does not get enough love. The game laid the foundation for the Soul Calibur series. And this track does a good job welcoming you to The Stage of History. I honestly recommend the OST as a whole, both original and arrange.

8. Gathers Under Night (Under Night In-Birth)
Not going to lie, Under Night In-Birth's musical choices were kind of hit and miss to me, but I really liked how this song felt. It did the job of pumping me up for a fight. I really need to find an excuse to play this again, it reminds me of Melty Blood.

7. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Character Select- Dynamic Version
I'm not gonna lie, I prefer the classic-style OST more, but THE advantage to picking dynamic is the SINGLE BEST character select theme in all of Marvel vs. Capcom. It sounds JUST like an epic battle is about to commence, and the only point against it is how repetitive it is!

6. Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold
This evokes memories of the infamous 'Gonna take you for a ride' from MvC2, but more tolerable. It has that Jazz beat to it that just works for me. It manages to fit the feel needed for a fighting game without sounding generic. While not having quite the 'pumping' effect I love, it comes close.

5. Skullgirls
Ya know, if we were talking about select screens as a whole, I would have put Skullgirl's at the top. It has that vaudeville feel that works so well for the game. The character select theme is very smooth and calming, but it doesn't really feel like it works as well for the genre as I was wishing.

4. Character Select (Final Fight CD)
I'll be damned if this isn't one of the smoothest songs on this list, alongside the Skullgirl's example. Like this list's number 1 song, it has this somewhat calming effect, as you prepare to lay a beatdown on Metro City's myriad thugs. Final Fight may not have aged as well as, say, Streets of Rage, but it's OSTs is one of the best in the genre. The only thing that could have topped it would have been Double Dragon Neon's, but it lacks a character select theme, sadly.

3. Menu 1 (Super Smash Bros. For Wii U and 3DS)

Yes, I know the fanbase loves Melee Menu 2, and so do I! It's just... this song sound so much better to me! It pumps me up for a fight, and it just works well as a character select theme, not just a menu theme. Brawl's was almost picked, but I confess that I have tainted memories of that game. It makes for nice listening too, with a loop of a decent length.

2. D.O.A. (Guilty Gear XX)

Oh, HELL YES, now we're talking! The loop is on the short side, but it's nearly seamless, and adrenaline pumping. This song is only a sample of the glory that is the Guilty Gear XX OST. If you like rock music, you need to give this a listen. Complete with the background visuals, it feels just like you're about to enter a 1970's-1980's Heavy Metal Album cover! This song was my favorite character select theme for years!

...That is, until I heard number 1.

1. Memory of Forgathering Dream (Touhou 12.3- Hisoutensoku)

Touhou Project has become famous for the quality of it's OST, with there being a torrent with a terrabyte worth of music both original and fan arranged somewhere out on the web, It's series OST ranges from calming, to invigorating, to sorrowful (mostly game over music), to absolutely kickass. The Title screen of Hisoutensoku is just a sample, and will likely make a future list of title screen music. But the character select theme is calming, very calming, with a very long loop that isn't too terribly repetitive. It's the antithesis of what usually makes a character select theme good, and it works. The kicker? This isn't even composed by the franchise's main composer, ZUN. It's instead composed by U2 Akiyama.

Well, that's that. I know it was kind of rushed, but I was desperate to contribute something beyond one random song.

...So I chose 10.

...Welp.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:20 pm 

Very nice.

...Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I even own 10 games with a Character Select theme. Smash Bros. and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom are about all I have.

...Oh yeah, and there's Sonic Adventure DX.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:10 pm 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
Pikmanipulator wrote:
Very nice.

...Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I even own 10 games with a Character Select theme. Smash Bros. and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom are about all I have.

...Oh yeah, and there's Sonic Adventure DX.

For me, it's surprising how much one can add to the experience. For me, a fighting game should have a good character select theme, an energetic announcer, and good background music. It's why I couldn't get into Injustice: Gods Among Us. It played well, but it didn't feel fun, if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:07 pm 

Image Hmm... I wouldn't really say many of these hit my fancy, personally, but that's opinions for you. People are allowed different things, and that includes music (case in point, I actually prefer Brawl's menu theme over all since it feels more orchestral, but that's just me). That's what makes us special.

With all that said, if I could offer some helpful feedback?

The main post feels kind of...empty, you know? You did mention rushing through it, so there's definitely an explanation for this. A few more visuals might help, be it in pictures, more embeded videos, or better yet, longer paragraphs. Really bring out your expressiveness so that people don't just skim through it. Really put in why these tracks mean so much to you. Some oomph if you will.

'kay? At least someone else is trying, so pluses for that.