Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 793 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:41 am 

The Great B-Man wrote:
Image It is true that thus far all Alolan Pokémon have been Gen 1. It's almost like pandering or something. First Go, now this.
I mean people are still heavily biased toward Gen 1, saying other generations suck and such. That's why I think Gen 6 was so beloved to fans due to a lot of throwbacks and emphasis on Gen 1 Pokemon. Why not pander to that for sales? Not that I like it since I find some charm and love in the other generations.

On Metagross and Mega Evolutions, I'm wondering this too. Outside of the day and night system in Gen 3, have they gotten rid of features?

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:59 pm 

They got rid of plenty of features in terms of the overworld and mini-games and the like over the years, but I don't think they got rid of anything in the battle system, so cutting Mega Evolutions would definitely be a first.

If they are indeed cut out, that could spell bad news for some Pokémon. Beedrill in particular could never be competitively viable without it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:48 pm 

After MegaEvolutions became such a big deal in Gen 6, I SINCERELY doubt they'd toss it out so soon; it'd be a damn shame if they did, and there'd be quite the uproar.

I think we can already assume they'd keep them.

AN IDEA SPRUNG INTO MY HEAD; we can feel relatively certain there'll be a Sinnoh remake, yeah?

D'ya think, maybe... Sinnoh forms... maybe... . I CERTAINLY WOULD ENJOY IT.

DUNNO IF THIS WAS DISCUSSED, but does anyone remember that one item from X/Y that was a statue of a Pokemon "Not from Kalos, Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, or Unova!" I don't think we've seen any news talking more about it, since we all already know it's gonna be featured in Sun/Moon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:23 am 

Maybe Caterpie or Wurmple will have an Alolan form where they become incredible killer caterpillars.

Alpha StevO wrote:
DUNNO IF THIS WAS DISCUSSED, but does anyone remember that one item from X/Y that was a statue of a Pokemon "Not from Kalos, Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, or Unova!" I don't think we've seen any news talking more about it, since we all already know it's gonna be featured in Sun/Moon.

Could you refresh my memory? I'm not sure what item that is.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:37 am 

A quick google search tells me that he's referring to the Strange Souvenir.

Also, I don't think Gen 4 remakes will happen this time. We thought for sure that we'd get Gen 3 remakes with B/W, but they saved it for X/Y instead.

Also also, the remakes are on different systems. FR/LG are on Gameboy Advance, HG/SS are on DS, and OR/AS are on 3DS. It's likely they'll be saving the Gen 4 remakes for the next system.

Also also also, what we really need is Alolan Snorlax. Fighting type with the physique of Atlas. After all, if you can't beat em, join em.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:21 am 

Image I agree that Megas are probably here to stay. They have become far too pivotal to the battle scene to just outright remove now. We things come and go all the time, but they always were for more minor stuff that never affected the metagame in any significant way, such as Contests, applications like the Pokétch, etc. I don't think anything from battling has ever been removed. Just adjusted, such as splitting up the Special stat into Special Attack and Special Defense, granting Abilities, and of course, redefining what was a Physical Move and a Special Move. This forced players to adapt their strategies without having to completely overhaul how the games played. Imagine if we found out Abilities got removed. That would be absolutely insane to think now! There are strategies built around that, just like there are now for Megas.

Still, the fact that we haven't even seen one Mega Evolution, and I don't mean a new one either, just any in general, is a very strange thing to see, however, which is why I pointed it out. We are only three months away from release, and we don't really know how it's going to play out.

(...Though I'm mostly just nervous because breeding a Manectric just right so it could use Hidden Power Ice while still remaining pretty much perfect was kind of tricky, and if it lost its Mega, it'd be pretty rubbish...)

I'm with Kiyoshi about a Sinnoh remake as well, though mostly because there just hasn't been any evidence of one more so than the fact that this is still a 3DS game, and each remake was on a new family of handhelds. Still, that is a pattern worth pointing out.

The Strange Souvenir wasn't really discussed here, but I have seen it brought up from time to time in other discussions about Sun/Moon. The fact that it looks like a Tiki head certainly points this from being from Alola, which the guy who gave it to you was very coy about. It seems Game Freak had an idea for another region planned super far ahead. Who knows? Maybe Sun/Moon will even give us a hint as to what the region after Alola will be...? For Game Freak, Nintendo, Creatures, and The Pokémon Company, they must always be looking ahead.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:48 am 

Yeah I'm not sure either but it would be strange. And on the likes of Mega Beedrill, yeah Beedrill would no longer be usable. It's more like things were replaced with something else, like if anything maybe Aloha forms will be a variation on Mega forms but I dunno. The only things that were changed were some individual Pokemon's stats as of Gen 6, and dream world ability distribution such as Chandelure not having Shadow Tag in Gen 6. But the other thing with Mega Evolutions - why wouldn't they show those and Aloha forms? They do need to explain the differences at some point.

On Gen 4 remakes, Kiyoshi's right. Though up to B/W, every system had only one generation of Pokemon games (with the GBA getting Gen 1 remakes) so maybe that could change. But it wouldn't make sense either, the next Nintendo hand held probably is only a few years off and Gen 4 remakes could be a good way to satiate the want/need between Sun/Moon and the next potential generation.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:17 pm 

FSLAR wrote:
But it wouldn't make sense either, the next Nintendo hand held probably is only a few years off and Gen 4 remakes could be a good way to satiate the want/need between Sun/Moon and the next potential generation.

Image May even be sooner than that. If the NX rumors are true, the next handheld may actually be a few months away!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:17 pm 

LET US NOT FORGET, that though Nintendo already has an established pattern, they also have a tendency to break their own established patterns, starting with Diamond/Pearl being succeeded with Platinum rather than the expected Opal version, Black/White being succeeded by Black2/White2 rather than Gray, and X/Y having no third version, Z or otherwise!

Wouldn't put it past them to throw us another curveball 'cuz why NOT.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:15 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
FSLAR wrote:
But it wouldn't make sense either, the next Nintendo hand held probably is only a few years off and Gen 4 remakes could be a good way to satiate the want/need between Sun/Moon and the next potential generation.

Image May even be sooner than that. If the NX rumors are true, the next handheld may actually be a few months away!
Or maybe the remakes are on the NX if it's really part portable...or the next generation. Hell if I know. Also we didn't get a Stadium type game for B/W, and X/Y! But Nintendo doesn't even have a reason, especially since we got the New 3DS last year...the 3DS is doing so much better then the Wii U. Maybe I don't know Nintendo anymore >__>

Steboh is right on Nintendo breaking tradition, and I forgot about the lack of Z. That...seems like a huge oversight honestly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:36 pm 

Alpha StevO wrote:
LET US NOT FORGET, that though Nintendo already has an established pattern, they also have a tendency to break their own established patterns, starting with Diamond/Pearl being succeeded with Platinum rather than the expected Opal version, Black/White being succeeded by Black2/White2 rather than Gray, and X/Y having no third version, Z or otherwise!

Wouldn't put it past them to throw us another curveball 'cuz why NOT.

Opal version?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:25 pm 

Opal's a gem, just like diamond and pearl. Platinum's a metal, thus being the odd one out.

So yeah.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:39 pm 

#NintendoLogic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:37 pm 

Shredderman8160 wrote:
Opal's a gem, just like diamond and pearl. Platinum's a metal, thus being the odd one out.

So yeah.

YUP. Girasol, also known as Fire Opal, seems to be the solid basis of Giratina's name, if Diamond is to Dialga and Pearl is to Palkia anyways.

JUST SAYIN', DON'T STICK TO WHAT'S TRIED AND TRUE; 'CUZ NINTENDO'S SLOWLY GOIN' AWAY FROM THAT, which I'm appreciative of.

Trust NO ONE.

SO some leak mentions news about Zubat and Dragonite, not sure what about them, but I'm smellin' Alolan forms myself. Or MEGAZUBAT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:22 pm 

Image Behold, the Turtonator!

It is a Fire/Dragon-Type with the Ability Shell Armor. It is known as the Blast Turtle Pokémon. It is 6'07'' and weighs 467.4 lbs. It lives in volcanoes and mostly feeds on sulfur and other minerals found within. Because of this, its body is composed of rather explosive material so when it is hit by an attack, sparks will fly inciting an explosion. It can camouflage itself as a rock and waits for prey. When one steps on it, it smacks its own shell with its tail, triggering an explosion. Explosive blasts triggered from its back are released through an orifice in the middle front part of the body. This is its weak point. Hitting it does a ton of damage, so when battling, it always faces away from its opponent. It has a Signature Move called Shell Trap. It doesn't deal damage when it's used on its own, but if the opponent hits it with a physical attack on the same turn, it triggers a massive explosion that deals heavy damage.

------------

Also, I've been meaning to share this:

This is an example of Hyper Training in action. These are three different Garchomp with different IV spreads. However, each one was given a Silver Bottle Cap, which allowed them to raise a single stat to maximum, choosing to go with Attack each time. Notice now, all three Garchomp now have the same Attack stat whereas before, Garchomp 1 had the lowest but Garchomp 3 had the highest.

It is also said that there is a Gold Bottle Cap that can raise multiple stats to max at once. Still don't know how to get these though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:11 pm 

I like how the trailer had Turtonator's opponents be all fellow turtle Pokémon. I was just wondering why another fire turtle was deemed necessary when we already have Torkoal, but they actually seem pretty different.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:32 am 

I dig it having it's own variation of Counter, like how Chesnaught/Aegislash have their own variation of Protect.

DESIGN-WISE, the beak irks me a bit...BUT I love the rest of it! DUNNO WHAT I'D NAME IT, for Gamera feels a bit 2 easy. There's gotta be a kaiju out there I can use for this thing...

It seems that we can select which IV we can increase when usin' bottle caps. I wonder if Golden Bottle Caps will allow us to select which ones, or if it'll just pick from which ones are available; KINDA HOPE WE CAN PICK, or else we're gonna need WAYYY more Bottle Caps than previously thought.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:11 am 

Image News just keeps coming! Worlds revealed a brand new Pokémon plus English names for three of the Corocoro reveals.

First up is a brand new reveal: Crabrawler, the Boxing Pokémon. It is a Fighting-Type. Its 2'00'' and weighs 15.4 lbs. It can have Hyper Cutter or Iron Fist as its Ability. Crabrawler hates losing and it always strives to aim higher, not just in terms of social standing, but also literally higher up on the ground. Because of this, it can be found clinging to tall people or buildings. If you try to forcefully remove one, you'll be met with a strong punch. Their favourite food is Berries. It'll punch the trunks of trees to make the ripe berries fall. A bunch of Crabrawler will gather around, but only the one who is victorious in battle gets the privilege of eating the berries. It uses its claws to protect its face and belly while getting close to an opponent to land powerful punches. So strong, they can split tree trunks! Their pincers sometimes fall off during bouts, which are said to be delicious!

Next up is our little bundle of sand and sand castle Pokémon, Sandygast and Palossand. They are the Sand Heap and Sand Castle Pokémon, respectively. They are both Ghost/Ground-Types. Sandygast is 1'08'' and weighs 154.3 lbs. Palossand is 4'03'' and weighs 551.2 lbs. A Sandygast emerges when the grudges of Pokémon and other creatures are soaked into the sand after they fall in battle. So yeah, it's a possessed lump of sand. If you grab its shovel, you will fall under its control. Small children often fall under its power where it will manipulate them to bring more sand to increase its size. Should it lose its shovel, it will replace it with things like a twig, a flag, or anything really. Sandygast that lose their shovel are often looking for a new one to use. Its tunnel like mouth can suck the vitality out of people and Pokémon and it is seen as a test of courage to stick your hand in it.

Palossand controls human adults, making them build it a sand castle to improve its size and defenses. However, if it loses some sand, it can restore it on its own. The shovel on its head is constantly rotating when in search of prey, almost like a radar. Palossand loves the vitality of small Pokémon and will drag them into its body to steal its life force. The vortex it creates can swallow them in a heartbeat. These Pokémon often leave a fragment of their ill will towards the Palossand, which is said to manifest into a new Sandygast. Both of these Pokémon have Water Compaction as its Ability, which is a new one for Sun/Moon. If they are hit with a Water-Type move, their Defense goes up by 2 stages.

Finally, there's Stufful, the pre-evolution of Bewear. It is the Flailing Pokémon. It is Normal/Fighting, just like Bewear. It is 1'08'' and weighs 15.0 lbs. It can also have Fluffy or Klutz as its Ability. Its cute appearance and movements, along with its soft fur, makes this Pokémon super popular with people. It is also surprisingly strong for its size and can knock even well-trained Pokémon if their Trainers are ill-prepared against it. However, despite its appearance, it actually really doesn't like to be touched. It hates to be hugged tightly and will flail its arms in protest. A polar opposite to Bewear.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:53 am 

The Great B-Man wrote:
A Sandygast emerges when the grudges of Pokémon and other creatures are soaked into the sand after they fall in battle.

The Great B-Man wrote:
Pokémon and other creatures

The Great B-Man wrote:
other creatures

What are the lore implications on this?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:12 pm 

Shredderman8160 wrote:
The Great B-Man wrote:
A Sandygast emerges when the grudges of Pokémon and other creatures are soaked into the sand after they fall in battle.

The Great B-Man wrote:
Pokémon and other creatures

The Great B-Man wrote:
other creatures

What are the lore implications on this?

Don't you know that bacteria are intelligent enough to have their own will? They can totes leave ghosts behind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:33 am 

Image Small update, but the official Japanese Guide will come with a serial code that will let you get a Gold Bottle Cap in the games. This one will boost all 6 IVs to maximum! So there you have it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:06 am 

Image A new Nintendo Direct gave us a small new look at Pokémon Sun/Moon.

They gave us another Alolan Pokémon: Alolan Rattata! It is a Dark/Normal-Type and has the Abilities Gluttony and Hustle. Rattata is actually the reason Yungoos was introduced to Alola in the first place because the population was too big. However, the Rattata adapted and became nocturnal, changing their type in the process, in order to avoid Yungoos. And there you have it!

Also, in regards to Z-Moves, it seems that some Pokémon will come with Z-Moves exclusive to them, such as Alolan Raichu. In addition, players who purchase the game around launch will get a free Munchlax to download, who will come with a Z-Crystal to unlock Snorlax's unique Z-Move.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:13 pm 

Image Things are getting weird now!

We've got Type:Null here. No, that's not a new Pokémon type, it's the actual name of a new Pokémon. It's type is Normal. It is the Synthetic Pokémon. It is 6'03'' and weighs 265.7 lbs. It has the Ability Battle Armor. Null means "nothing." It was constructed to synthesize strengths of various Pokémon, which can let it adapt to any situation. The mask on its head is designed to control its latent abilities, and hinder its agility. To complete a certain mission, there was a need for a Pokémon that can rival those often spoken of in mythology.

Next is Jagmo-o, the Scaly Pokémon. It is a Dragon-Type. It is 2'0'' and weighs 65.5 lbs. It can have the Ability Bulletproof or Soundproof. Jagnmo-o has pride as a warrior, though it remains humble about its capabilities. It always pursues to become stronger, but never neglects its training. The sharp scales on its head are used for both offense and defense, so it never turns its back on its opponent. Trainers often see this as being valiant. Jagnmo-o will gather together in harsh canyons where not many people or Pokémon dwell so they can train together.

And now we get the evolved form of Alolan Rattata, Alolan Raticate! It remains a Dark/Normal-Type and still has Gluttony and Hustle as its Abilities. It has also gained some weight, being 56.2 lbs as opposed to normal Raticate's 40.8 lbs. Their main habitat is urban areas, so they've become heavier than normal Raticate due to their diet now consisting of high calorie foods. They only like fresh fruits and high-class ingredients though. Some chefs actually take advantage of this, bringing Alolan Raticate with them to taste test products before using them in their own meals. They store a lot of food at their nests and will send Alolan Rattata to scavange for food while they just sit at the nest and stuff their faces.

Now, onto something I've been curious about for some time: What differences are we getting between Sun and Moon beside the cover legendaries? Well, we finally have an answer and it's not what I was expecting at all!

There is a 12-hour clock difference between Sun and Moon! Meaning when it is day in one game, it is night on the other! More specifically, it is the Moon version that is 12 hours off from your normal time, so those planning to pick up Moon might be in for a surprise when they found out that it's night in their game while its day outside. Additionally not only are there different Pokémon between versions, as is series tradition, but there are different Totem Pokémon as well! For example, in Sun, the Totem Pokémon of Melemele Island is Gumshoos as we've seen before, but in Moon, the Totem Pokémon is actually Alolan Raticate, which naturally will summon Alolan Rattata to help it! Shigeru Ohmori, the directer of Sun/Moon, went with this direction to give the two games a more distinct and dynamic feel to them, with people experiencing varying events when playing together due to the huge time difference, not to mention finding wildly different Pokémon as well.

We are also introduced to the Aether Foundation, who's whole purpose is to shelter and protect Pokémon that have been hurt. They constructed an artificial island called Aether Paradise, where not only do they take care of Pokémon but also conduct some beneficial research. Lusamine is the president, Faba is the branch chief and is very fond of his green glasses, and Wicke is the assistant branch chief and has a very caring personality, and thus is loved by everyone. There are also various different employees who work there. Their uniforms determine what division they belong to.

Over at Team Skull, they seem to be particular about harassing the Aether Foundation, wanting to steal Pokémon there to sell for a high profit. Gladion is another member of the team as an enforcer and places high value on being strong in Pokémon battles. His Pokémon of choice is Type:Null.

And don't forget about Zygarde! The Legendary Pokémon from Kalos still has a role to play, and a pair of Trainers named Dexio and Sina are investigating it. You might remember them from X and Y. They will give you a Zygarde Cube which can be used to collect Zygarde Cores and Zygarde Cells, which can be found all over the Alola Region, much like Mega Stones. Gather enough, and the path to Zygarde will become clear...

Hey, do you guys like Pokémon Snap? Because we may have finally got our spiritual successor with the Poké Finder feature! It is stored on your Rotom Dex and you can use it at designated spots around Alola to take pictures of Pokémon. They will be evaluated and as you take better pictures, more features, such as being able to zoom in, will become available.

And lastly, probably the biggest "What is this?!" I ever uttered in a long time was shown: Ultra Beasts! These are very powerful creatures that posses incredible power that can pose a danger to both humans and Pokémon! The Aether Foundation is currently researching them. According to a rumor, there are multiple Ultra Beasts out there, each with a code name, one of which has already been revealed:

UB-01. It's body is composed of a glass like substance. However, it is constantly changing shapes, never settling on one. While survival instincts have been displayed, nobody knows if it has a will of its own or any emotion at all. For whatever reason, its movements seem to resemble that of a young girl.

Probably the strangest thing about Ultra Beasts is...they are not listed under the Pokémon Section on the website! Instead, they are under the Alola Region section! This includes the description and artwork of UB-01! Could these Ultra Beasts not be Pokémon at all, a first for the franchise?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:52 am 

Ultra Beasts and Type: Null are definitely what interest me most about this recent update.

Ultra Beasts not being Pokemon is a definite first for the series, since just about everything you can fight in-game can ALSO be owned by you, an aspect of Pokemon that very few games can claim, if any at all. If Ultra Beasts aren't catchable, then it takes away that unique ability OF Pokemon.

WHAT I'M SAYIN' IS I WANNA FEED THE ALIENJELLYFISH CUPCAKES.

Type: Null SEEMS like it's a one of a kind Pokemon. Being in Edgekid's team tells me that Team Skull's the one who synthesized it, or they stole it from someone who synthesized it anyways. Which leads me to believe there'll be an event where it'll abandon Edgekid and give you the opportunity to catch it, somehow.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:32 pm 

Image We get to meet a new member of the Oak family tree! The resemblance is uncanny!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 793 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next