Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:59 pm 

Best Buy actually got a restock of Xenoblade Chronicles X Special Edition, but I hear most were damaged and were online only, probably returns. I still lucked out finding it in stores not too long after release, I would say. Fates was from Best Buy's ebay store (Mega Man Legacy Collection Collector's Edition was directly from the store's website) that went up randomly when I put an alert on some site. People were freaking out cause the alert claimed it was on the site, but I checked ebay and lo and behold.

That's right! I do get to skip the second hardest decision of my life. It's almost like when my sister and I had to choose between Oracle of Ages and Seasons...then awful things happened, but in the end I got both anyway! but the artbook is pretty awesome, feels better than Xeno's!

On Fate's sales, despite this being the combination of both games (even if one out sold the other) that's still pretty awesome for just a few days! Great news for the franchise, makes me happy

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:44 pm 

Image Finished Birthright over here. That final battle had me kinda gnawing at the teeth since, unlike other Endgame chapters I played, I couldn't save beforehand! So if I wanted to get through with no deaths, I'd need to restart the previous Chapter (that one wasn't really hard, but it was a bit tedious). As an aside, Lodestar's speed is pretty incredible! Too bad you're limited to only one weapon.

For the record, it took me 30 hours to finish. So...yes, I imagine each path is very much as long as Awakening's campaign.

With that said, I went ahead and purchased the DLC for Conquest and am beginning that now. The option for Revelation is there, but I can't purchase it until March 10th, as per the rules. Doing so gave me three more extra slots of data for my Conquest runs. I'm sure Revelation will give me the last three slots as well.

Seems like having both routes gives you access to every My Castle setting as well. Almost makes me wish I started on Conquest because I love the water one a lot. Beating the game also gives me access to every single song available to change in My Castle, even on new save files. I tend to flip between Road Taken, Thorn in You, and Justice RIP.

Anyway, was quite a ride...and I'm ready to see what happens on the other side of the world...and to relive the old days of Fire Emblem where grinding was not a thing one could do (...though if you really want to, you could play the EXP DLC).

Speaking of which... I didn't see anything get referred to as the "Fire Emblem" throughout my entire run, despite that being a staple... Looks like there are still some mysteries. I wonder what it is...? I'm sure Revelation will tell us.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:08 pm 

Image Some DLC got released today: Boo Camp and Beach Brawl.

Boo Camp is this game's version of EXPonential growth. Get some EXP for your units fairly easily. It is also the only place you can grind EXP in Conquest if you want to forgo the entire point of Conquest. Heh.

There is also Beach Brawl. This map is separate from your main story and the units have their own separate set of items and weapons from your main story so don't worry too much about min-maxing before attempting this one. You're free to try at any time without any repercussions. You can play as any one of the royal siblings on either side along with their retainers. Your reward is a simple illustration of the character of your choice on the beach.

But, what I'm sure everyone wants to know is this: Are there any "curtains" blocking the view this time?

Well...

Spoiler: click to show

I can at least say for Camilla that this is definitely a no.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:12 am 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:10 am 

Treehouse has...interesting priorities...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:59 am 

Image Missed this since it was revealed in the Japanese Direct, but more DLC has been announced to arrive after this first batch, so that's something I s'pose.

One pack being very, very much meant as an expy of The Future Past set from Awakening.

Wonder if the Festival ones will bring back some of the dummied out outfits... (I doubt it).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:41 pm 

Image May as well discuss the Japanese DLC now that we know more information:

Anna's Gift 2
Another free piece of DLC, much like Anna's Gift 1. Unlike Anna's Gift 1, you aren't forced to choose between two items and instead get both of them at no charge! First is the Paragon scroll, which can teach any unit the Paragon skill, which doubles EXP gained. Good for units you really want to get up and ready quickly. You will also receive a pair of Boots, which increases movement by +1. Always very useful to have boots on, regardless of Corrin and Kana's choice of being barefoot.

Recollections of Bubbles
Without delving too much into spoiler territory, this is basically Fates answer to The Future Past. The big difference here, however, is that like a few maps previously mentioned, these ones have preset characters. You cannot bring your own team into them. The focus is entirely on the children characters of Fates, who in an alternate timeline, have basically lost everything and must now face an inescapable battle. There are many rewards, but right now, the only one mentioned is the Point Blank scroll, a must have for any Bow users on your team (let's you hit units from 1 Square away with a Bow, as if Takumi wasn't already a monster). The package is so large, with there being 6 maps in total, that it needs to be spread across two weeks. Three the first week, three the second.

Hoshidan Festival of Bonds
Let's step away from the gloomy stuff and do something that's more enjoyable. In an alternate version of Hoshido, people are celebrating their festival about the growth of children. Unfortunately, some crooks and brigades have shown up to ruin the fun and so you are tasked to stop them. Here you can unlock some special illustrations, much like Beach Brawl, and also seem some more dialogue and development between parents and their children. But the big reward comes in the form of infinite Exalt's Brand, which let's any female character reclass into a Great Lord. Initially, you could only get one per save via Before Awakening, but the issue is finally solved, so you should have a much easier time giving the Awakening Skill to all of your female units.

Nohrian Festival of Bonds
Just like Hoshido's, Nohr has its own festival, though the difference this time is that it celebrates the ties between friends. However, some Faceless have shown up to ruin the good times so you must put a stop to this! Again, there are special illustrations, and the conversations characters can have are all between 1st Generation characters, even those that normally do not have Supports with each other. It's neat to see a little more character development. What's even neater, however, is the reward of infinite Hero's Brands, which lets any male unit reclass as a Lodestar. Just like Exalt's Brand, you were only able to get one per save through Before Awakening, but now everyone can be Marth!
I do believe both Festival maps are based off of the Scramble maps from Awakening. They're also both 1 Star difficulty, so it's definitely meant to be a funsies for all kind of DLC.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:30 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
regardless of Corrin and Kana's choice of being barefoot.

Is that ever explained, by the way?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:51 am 

Pikmanipulator wrote:
Is that ever explained, by the way?

Image Not from what I have seen, having played through the full story of Birthright and the majority of Conquest. Nobody has ever addressed their lack of shoes. It's possible there are some Supports that might bring it up but I have yet to see it.

There is still Revelation I guess, which comes out today, but I still doubt it will be brought up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:51 pm 

Weird.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:39 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:

Treehouse has...interesting priorities...

I just saw the same conversation in the fan-made English patch of the Japanese version.

https://youtu.be/c18R0R78v6g?t=1m4s

I guess you could say Treehouse simply worked with what it was given.