Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Last movie you saw
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:44 pm 

Yeah I saw that too. Though, I haven't actually seen the first one.

It was cute, at least.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:26 pm 

You should really watch the first, it's also pretty cute, just on the subject of fatherhood rather than romance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:36 am 

I've been trying to watch it sometime but reality keeps conspiring against me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:55 pm 

So I saw Pacific Rim.

Best summer blockbuster I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:32 am 

Oh yeah, I watched RED (linked since that's about the least descriptive name ever) with my sister and father, since the latter rented it on Amazon, and, for a action-comedy movie, it was pretty rad. Certainly didn't waste any time with exposition, telling the story as things happen quite well, which definitely worked well for the genre, since, I don't think anyone's going to be taking an action-comedy that seriously. Plus, the characters were pretty quirky and likable.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:14 pm 

I've seen partway through that, but I think I got distracted by something. It was pretty fun for what I saw of it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:03 am 

I just saw the LEGO movie.

It was amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:07 am 

Pikmanipulator wrote:
I just saw the LEGO movie.

It was AWESOME.

FTFY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:52 pm 

Image So, after debating for a while, I finally went ahead and watched "Where Are My Pants?" I mean, I heard from critics how great it is, but I can't help but ask just "What's so great about something where the premise is basically a guy without his trousers?"

But wow, was I blown away! The jokes surprisingly work within the context of the subject matter almost seamlessly. I never knew you could think of so many fresh ideas about the troublesome morning of being unable to wear what you want. I suppose I shouldn't really be too surprised considering it was the directed by the same people who did "I Got Two of the Same Shirt."

Not to mention I can't get that crazy catchphrase out of my head now! Seriously, go see it!

The Translated Version
Spoiler: click to show
So, after debating for a while, I finally went ahead and watched "The LEGO Movie" I mean, I heard from critics how great it is, but I can't help but ask just "What's so great about something where the premise is basically about toy building blocks?"

But wow, was I blown away! The jokes surprisingly work within the context of the subject matter almost seamlessly. I never knew you could think of so many fresh ideas about little figurines in a world made up of the same figurines. I suppose I shouldn't really be too surprised considering it was the directed by the same people who did "Clone High"

Not to mention I can't get that silly song out of my head now! Seriously, go see it!

The In-Depth Review
The LEGO Movie. I finally saw it over the weekend and I absolutely adored it! I mean, all around. The animations looked splendid, with everything seemingly coming together in a way that made it look like an actual, living, LEGO world. It's not stop motion, but they emulated that style very well. I believe they even purposely lowered the frame rate for that effect.

The writing is absolutely wonderful as well. Phil Lord and Chris Miller have been favourites of mine ever since Clone High. It has that same sort of quick yet clever jokes that made that show so enjoyable to me.

In fact, I felt there was so much going on, I no doubt missed a ton of other tiny references in the background. In fact, I already saw an example a while back that someone on Tumblr posted.

Lord knows how they did it...but they really managed to pull it off, and it ended so wonderfully and perfectly as well, making everything, for lack of a better word, make sense. Really guys, go see it.

Because everything is awesome!

PS. I find this post relatively humorous in light of the mass critical praise. We're talkin' 96% on Rotten Tomatoes here! Though critical reception isn't enough. How about a B-Man Seal of Approval? Would that sway your opinion, Raxy?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:36 am 

The Great B-Man wrote:
How about a B-Man Seal of Approval? Would that sway your opinion, Raxy?

Yeah honestly I've heard nothing but great thing from everyone but I honestly don't know much about the movie itself. I'll definitely check it out when I get the chance.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:06 am 

Also saw The Lego Movie. Unfortunately not in 3D and now I'm kicking myself because it probably looked phenomonal.

It's a good movie but... I dunno, I couldn't get into it for some reason. I think I may have gotten lost in some of the fast-paced scenes with a lot going on so it kinda took me out of the movie for a bit but it's definitely worth seeing just for the brilliant stylistic melding of CGI, stop motion, pseudo-pixel art, and 2D animation. And yes, The ending was fantastic. I definitely didn't see it coming and it pretty much made the movie. The ending really makes it a perfect tribute to the childrens toy that bridges generational gaps and a celebration of creativity.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:30 pm 

Just saw God's Not Dead.

It's more or less a movie based off true stories of Christians who've dealt with various difficulties and situations in life, and although I may be biased, it's actually legitimately good, and definitely does not shy away from the big questions. Beyond the Christian aspects of the film, this movie is chock full of the feels, and they strike when you least expect it. It's also among some of the more realistic Christian movies in terms of the situations presented and how everyone acts so it comes off less contrived than most faith based films. There's a student trying to defend his faith to his students, his instructor who adamantly but understandably disagrees, a social activist who wants to make a difference but may not have much time to make it, a grandmother with dementia, a youth pastor who can't catch a break, a former Muslim hiding her newfound faith from her father, an exchange student with great expectations from his father, and a few more that intertwine. It sounds like a lot, but the movie is generally smart about it's transitions and it all ties together pretty well to the theme. The acting is supurb and does a good job of representing a diverse spectrum of people and their backgrounds.

As a movie, it's very well made. As a story, it's really heartfelt and true to life. As a Christian film, it's a great representation of Christianity and why it deserves to be heard. Highly recommended.

Edit: Though, having watched a review from a different point of view... maybe not as fair as I thought at first. Although it should go without saying that not every people of their respective background are are like the ones portrayed in the movie, I can see why people would be offended. There are atheists in the movie who are more live and let live and there are a few mean self-proclaimed Christians as well, but the main non-christian characters in the movie aren't generally nice people so I guess on second thought this movie isn't really as fair as I thought. The movie does humanize most of them with sympathetic backstories and such but I don't really recall people just sitting down and having a real conversation about their disagreements, and that really imbalances the movie. I still don't think it's necessarily unrealistic as people like this probably do exist (barring one particularly obnoxious character who I already knew was too far) but I guess this isn't the amazing movie I thought it was. I'll try to be more critical next time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:20 am 

Guardians of the Galaxy.

Watching this is mandatory for all of you.

There are so many feels in this movie. Marvel has mastered emotional sorcery by combining feels that shouldn't work together and forcing them to submit to them.

I have very few complaints about this movie. In fact, I can only think of two, and one is negligible and the other is purely personal preference.

Needless to say, it was a blast. This was the most fun I've had in a theater since... Well, The Avengers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:51 am 

Image Oh wow, that film was very high on my "to watch" list. Good to hear you gave it your seal of approval!

Just need to find time to watch it now...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:17 pm 

Image Several months later...

I finally watched Guardians of the Galaxy. Man, that was a fun, fun film! Gotta share it with the world and everyone I know outside!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next