Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Last movie you saw
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:36 am 
Site Admin

Went to see A Good Day to Die Hard, another installment in Bruce Willis's series of films about dying hard.

It wasn't anything to write home about. At a certain point in this series, John McClane became less an ill-equipped man beating the odds stacked heavily against him and more a heavily-armed superhero with his sidekick mowing down the bad guys. It was an action flick that one who could analyze every single flaw it has, but on the other hand it was an action flick that was over-the-top enough to have fun watching. You know, one of those movies.

It was alright, but not something I'd recommend putting down money to see. May at least be a notch above the 4th movie, at least, but I dunno. All this movie made me want to do in the end was watch the first one, which doesn't really happen a lot with me when it comes to these big-name movie series.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:42 pm 

i saw hotel rwanda and unfortunately had watched iron man 2 right before it.
the experience of seeing war machine save people in a hotel was odd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:34 pm 

I quit watching Iron Man 2 at the drunken bar fight.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:41 pm 

it was not the best film in the world, i will admit. i did however enjoy the score's composition.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:45 pm 

I didn't take much note of the score, but then again scores are usually under appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:50 pm 

Image I will never tire of Rifftrax, though the latest one for Breaking Dawn Pt. 2 was kinda...weak. Still makes an intolerable film funny, don't get me wrong, and I'm almost a bit sad to see it go (ie. not really) but it just didn't have that same sort of fresh feeling that the first film had.

Ah well, maybe it's the rose-tinted glasses (yeah, rose-tinted glasses for Twilight, who'd have thought?). I still thoroughly enjoyed myself.

If I were to rank them in terms of Rifftrax hilarity, it'd probably go:

Twilight
New Moon
Breaking Dawn Pt. 1
Breaking Dawn Pt. 2
Eclipse

Image Y'know, I really don't think most males should admit to such things...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:12 pm 
Sage

nothing can redeem the twilight series
that's why you watch all of it with rifftrax

..line?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:17 am 

Oh yeah, I saw Iron Man 3 in 3D yesterday.

It was really awesome! Way better than the second one. The 3D was pointless though, so if you watch it in 2D, you're not missing much.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:14 pm 

Got around to watching Dark Knight Rises, Amazing Spider-Man and Avengers about a few months ago and never got around to ranking them or something so why not now.

Avengers was pretty awesome. Story was honestly pretty much "Oh. That's a thing apparently." but it's real fun to watch. I can't say much about it that hasn't been said. I just wish Nick Fury and Maria Hill actually did something in the movie. But I liked how the main Avengers were all pretty much equal, and Loki is a nice villain.

Amazing Spider-Man is a !#%$ ton better than the Raimi Spider-Man movies in so many ways it's not even funny, though it does borrow from the old ones, sometimes in ways it had to like how it showed Peter being an outcast, and some that it had no reason to like the Lizard being like the Green Goblin. But I really liked how Gwen Stacy did more than Mary Jane ever did in the movies, her relationship with Peter was just great to watch and didn't feel forced, Peter was far more relate-able and Aunt May's tense moments with Peter really added a lot.

I can't find much wrong with Dark Knight Rises honestly. The only flaw is the lack of Alfred since Alfred was pretty huge in the last ones and while his leave plays a role in Batman's fall, it still disappointed me. Bruce Wayne appearing more than Batman was kinda iffy to me as well. But honestly, everything pulled through in the end. It ended how a trilogy should end and it was something awesome to watch overall.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:33 pm 

Loki is an awesome villain. I just hate how all the fangirls (and even Tom Hiddleston himself) see him as a misunderstood man who just needs a hug.

Even though he tried to commit genocide on his own race.

And murdered a man in public by sawing his face off.

And sent a Steelix to go on a rampage on all of New York.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:02 am 

He kind of is though.

I mean, yes, cutting out the horrible deeds, his motive is 'I just want daddy to love me'

There's a sort of sad, patheticness to that, making some people just want to comfort him.

And yes, he did do all those things. As a villain in the movie. Its more acceptable to like a villain in a movie despite their deeds, because they are exaggerated and dramatic.

Almost like this is some sort of comic book thing or something.

Almost.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:20 am 

Eh, I have no problem with the fangirls in this case. Only since I think they take away from some of his moments, like in that scene in the museum up to before Iron Man flying in with that rock music. Good god, that was fantastic.
Raxy wrote:
Almost like this is some sort of comic book thing or something.

Almost.
O snap Raxy is onto something.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:12 am 

((OOC: Brandon here. Did you know that both of my parents are Trekkies? Is true.

So naturally, I went to see Star Trek Into Darkness with my mother. I went out, slightly satisfied by the ordeal, though I didn't find it as good as the 2009 film.

Mother, on the other hand, was practically fuming. She really hated the direction it took, particularly the last act of the film. The difference here is, while I enjoy the casual Star Trek, she's seen the shows and films so many times, she can recite nearly the entire script from Wrath of Khan.

It's fascinating to see such a contrast of opinions, though I can totally see the faults she pointed out.))

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:44 am 

Yeah a lot of old-time fans will not enjoy the last 15 minutes unless they really like heavy handed retreads.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:20 pm 

Saw Despicable Me 2, which I didn't like quite as much as the last film because it focused a lot on awkward romances, but it still had all the excellent characters and comedic timing I love, not to mention the best hat in the world: a giant wearable taco sombrero with guacamole filled rims.

Also, the best death scene ever, courtesy of EL MACHO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next