Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:33 pm 

Image I've been meaning to make a post about this for some time now since this was announced quite a ways back. Well, in light of the game's North American release, and with me having played a fair amount already, mayhaps it is time now to talk about the forthcoming DLC for Hyrule Warriors.

It seems the devs intend this to be a game that you'll keep playing, so for the next several months (up all the way to March for North Americans), we'll be getting four DLC packs that include quite a few nifty things. Each on costs varying different prices depending on the content, though you can save a bit and buy it all at once for $20 (doing so also nets you the Dark Link costume). I don't think this deal is quite as good as Mario Kart's, but it still feels pretty meaty.

Let's take a closer look...

Hyrule Warriors Villain Pack (October 16th)
Cia, Volga, and Wizzro as playable characters

Technically not part of the 4 package deal, but I felt it necessary to include it since the original TGS announcement did mention these guys. Anyway, the original villains of the game were strangely unplayable when Hyrule Warriors first launched, but it has been revealed that they will be in a coming update. Now, before anyone feels this is sleazy, lemme tell you the price: It is FREE. These characters were probably meant to be playable right from the start, but the team ran out of time and thus had to set them aside until now. Looking forward to giving them a try.

This update will also let you toggle cutscenes on/off, so if you've already played the story and don't wanna watch it again and just play, this'll be an option.

Master Quest Pack (October 16th)
1 New Weapon
New Scenario
New Adventure Mode Map
2 Costumes

Here's the first major DLC. The star of this one is the new weapon for Link, which turns to be none other than his trusty steed Epona! Yes, instead of Horse Armor, you get a Horse WEAPON! Don't worry; Link doesn't actually wield Epona around like a club. The sole screenshot available is just of him riding Epona, probably trampling on enemies. Should be interesting.
Not sure what the new scenario will bring, but it could be fun. And a new Adventure Mode Map sounds like a good way to give those 3 new characters some time to shine, giving them specific objectives to unlock Heart Containers and such. The two costumes, from my understanding, are what were once the pre-order stuff from the retailers. Judging by the fact that this is called Master Quest, I'm willing to bet these will be the Ocarina of Time costumes.

Twilight Princess Pack (December)
1 New Character
1 New Weapon
New Adventure Mode Map
2 Costumes

Things are starting to get interesting now. This is the first pack to introduce a brand new character to play as! Who they are, we do not know, but since this is named the Twilight Princess Pack, I'm willing to bet it's someone from Twilight Princess. I know, crazy thought, isn't it? The question, though, is who? We've already gotten Midna, Zant, and even Agitha, so who would be left? I suppose someone from the Resistance could join in, give them more screen time, like Rusl or Ashei. I've also seen some support for Minda's true form, which I think is pretty likely as well (both Sheik and Zelda are separate, after all). But you know what I think? I think Midna's true form is actually going to be the New Weapon, as a sneaky way to introduce two new characters instead! My reason behind this theory? In the Treehouse demo for Hyrule Warriors, when the tester chose Midna, you could see you could choose between two weapons, one was the Shackle but the other was hidden by question marks, implied to be an unlockable. In the final build, however, Midna only has the Shackle as her weapon choice. Now, it might seem a bit strange that a weapon would change an entire character model, but there is already an example of exactly that in the game already with Link's hidden 5th weapon: The Fairy Bottle puts Link in a bottle and you play as the Great Fairy. This technically counts as a weapon for Link, not a new character. Not to mention, the next DLC pack would seem a bit unfair otherwise, but I digress.

Of course, there is also another Adventure Mode Map too, which is always good. I haven't tried it yet, but I hear it's the best part of the game. Like before, this would be done with the intention of trying out new characters/weapons. There are also two more costumes, and if the theme continues, this will probably unlock Link and Zelda's Twilight Princess outfits.

Majora's Mask Pack (February)
2 New Characters
New Adventure Mode Map
3 Costumes

Now THIS is the hype one! Aside from the Moon making its grand reappearance (and the Fierce Deity Mask being a craftable badge that grants you an extra special bar), there's not much in the way of Majora's Mask references. Y'see, Hyrule Warriors intended to include only three Zelda games into its designs (Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword). The fact that there is a pack dedicated to Majora's Mask instead is really exciting. On top of that, not one, but two brand new characters are being introduced! And since this is a Majora's Mask package, I'm willing to be dollars to donuts we're getting some really great choices here, chief among them, of course, being the Skull Kid. The bigger question is who would represent the 2nd character? Happy Mask Salesman may seem silly, but then again, so does Agitha. Fierce Deity seems like the obvious choice. Or perhaps even Tingle, considering his reputation? Or perhaps...not even include a Majora's Mask character at all and bring in Groose from Skyward Sword? Lots of people want that to be a thing, after all. Whatever they choose, however, it'll be great overall I feel!

Again, another new Adventure Mode Map to give the new characters some more fun in the sun, but the interesting thing here is that there are 3 Costumes instead of 2 this time. If the theme continues, then the Skyward Sword outfits should be what's unlocked (unless this is when we get the Ocarina of Time ones and Skyward Sword is actually first) but even then, what is the third one? If I were to hazard a guess, I think this final costume might just got to Ganondorf since, while Link and Zelda have three outfits to choose from (well...Link now has four with Dark Link), Ganondorf only had two bonus costumes for those who registered on Club Nintendo. Perhaps they're giving him a third one here? Of course, Ganondorf didn't actually appear in Skyward Sword, so maybe instead they'll just reskin him as Demise...? This is all pure speculation, like everything of course.

Boss Pack (March)
2 New Game Modes

Seems to appear to be the least content heavy of the bunch (in fact, it is the cheapest barring that free update), but we don't even know what these modes are. If I were to hazard a guess, one of them is bound to be a Boss Rush mode. One of the big things that sets this game apart from other Musou games is the big bad Zelda styled bosses. Why not include a mode where you have to take them all down at once with a limited amount of time/health?

As for the other mode, I think it might actually be another sort of story mode kind of thing, only from the Villain's viewpoint. My theory behind this is because, in Japan at least, this is actually called the Ganon Pack, so it would make sense to focus on the King of Evil himself here and put him on the spotlight. Plus, most Musou games let you play different storylines and some people were surprised there wasn't a total "villain campaign mode" in the final product. The thing that might keep this from being a real thing, though, is the fact that, technically in Legend Mode already, you do get to play as Ganondorf during the story. True, you don't get to play as any of the other baddies in this mode, but it is still a "villain campaign" albeit a short one. Nevertheless, it's the best idea I can think of.

And that about covers it. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:57 pm 

Image Alright, so we have details about the first DLC pack. Here's what we know will be in it.

Firstly, the one already announced is Link's new weapon, which is Epona. It seems the two will travel together in tandem with attacks coming from both Epona's own hooves as well as Link's relatively long sword. It's a bit silly, but also pretty neat.

Next, the two costumes, I see, I was very wrong about. I had thought these would be the OOT ones, but as it turns out, these are brand new ones for Lana and Cia, two of the original characters in the game! It makes me glad that we're getting costumes of more than just Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. As for the costumes themselves, well, it is fairly spoilerish for those who actually cared about the story since it turns out Lana and Cia were the same person at one point so don't click these if you haven't at least completed the Twilight Princess branch: Lana / Cia

Next is the New Scenario that was announced. Turns out this is actually a "prequel" of sorts titled "The Black Witch Cia." It chronicles five stages from Cia's point of view, including her meeting with Volga and Wizzro as well as her crusade on Hyrule Castle. This will help to add a bit more depth to these new characters we never met, since we don't get that much characterization in the regular Legend Mode.

Finally, there's the New Adventure Map, which is titled Master Quest, hence the DLC name, and will follow "Master Quest" rules (or Hero Mode in later Zelda games). For example, no health pick up, so if you take damage, suck it up! Also, some stages won't even let you use items, so I guess my Bow & Arrow strategy against the one-hit kill Captains won't work anymore... And, as predicted, this is where you'll get the Weapon Upgrades and Heart Pieces for Cia, Volga, and Wizzro (though I think the scenario will give some too). Dunno if there are anymore Gold Skulltulas though...

What I can say, however, based on this preview image of the map is that it's going to have more than that. Notice the gold swords. For those who haven't played it yet, these means that these are Weapon Upgrades and clearing this map on A Rank (S in Japan) with that character gives you a better weapon of that type. For example, Link would start with the Hylian Sword, then move on to White Sword with its better stats, until he ultimately hits the Master Sword. There are 3 levels of weapons, much like the original Legend of Zelda. As you might guess, there'll be weapon upgrades for Cia, Volga, Wizzro, and Epona, but there are far too many weapons on the map here (there are 13, but since they each would only go to Lv. 3, there should only be 8). This implies that maybe there are other kinds of upgrades in the game for weapons...

In fact, that's exactly the case! As shown here, one such weapon upgrade Link can get is for the Magic Rod, which makes it resemble the Candle item from the original game, much like how we recently got the 8-bit Wooden Sword as part of his Hylian Sword set. Is this one of the other 5 weapon unlocks? What could the other four be? Will they also be pixalated 8-bit Zelda references?

And just as exciting is an icon on the map that the current version of the game does not have, and that's the one that looks like a shirt. In the example on the map, the player is viewing an area where you can win this item just by clearing the map as Link. Could this signify even more costumes? To be fair, they're probably nothing more than colour reskins (I recently found out you can unlock other tunics like the Zora's Tunic by filling an Illustration using Gold Skulltulas) but it's still nice to see this.

It looks like these DLC packs are perhaps bigger than I anticipated and eagerly await to learn more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:25 pm 

Image To very little surprise, the DLC character for the Twilight Princess package, due out later this month, is none other than Twili Midna, or her "true form" if you prefer. She uses the Mirror of Twilight as her weapon.

New Adventure Map with more stuff to unlock as well as at least one costume for Link being a bit of a surprise of some sort.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:59 am 

Image Latest DLC is out now in NA. Go ahead and come pick up Young Link and Tingle along with some OOT styled outfits for Impa and Sheik, as well as a Skull Kid outfit for Lana.

Worth mentioning that the pre-order DLC stuff is available too for 99 cents each. Each is a pack of two costumes (one for Link and one for Zelda) that represents a different era (game) represented here, be it OOT, TP, or SS.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:15 am 

Image I'm literally the only person that cared about any of this, but I'm bumping it anyway because with news of the 3DS Season Pass comes something extra exciting: The Wii U is getting a season pass too!

With all that said, the Wii U isn't getting everything the 3DS is getting so the 3DS packs are going to be more expensive, specifically they won't get the My Fairy stuff and the new Adventure Maps, but at least they'll have the option if they don't feel like shelling out extra cash for buying the game a second time, like myself. Much like Smash Bros., you can also buy a twin-pack for both consoles. Anyway, here's what we got:

Late Spring
Master Wind Waker Pack
This pack is 3DS exclusive. It includes 16 new My Fairy costume pieces and a new "Master Quest" version of the Wind Waker Adventure Map.

Summer
Link's Awakening Pack
16 new My Fairy costume pieces
An Adventure Map based off of Link's Awakening
1 New Character
1 New Weapon for Linkle

Autumn
Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks Pack
15 new My Fairy costume pieces
An Adventure Map based off the two DS games
1 New Character
1 New Weapon for Toon Link

Winter
A Link Between Worlds Pack
An Adventure Map based off A Link Between Worlds
2 New Characters

Additionally, for Wii U owners without the 3DS copy, in the Summer you will be able to purchase the Legends Character Pack (separate from the Season Pass) that contains all of the characters from Legends (Toon Link, Tetra, Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule, Skull Kid, Linkle, and Ganondorf's Trident weapon). This will arrive in the Summer (probably around the same time as the Link's Awakening pack). If you do not get this pack but do get the Season Pass, you can also unlock Linkle and Toon Link that way, but only for those new weapons.

Those who get the Season Pass will also get a new costume for Ganondorf in his Wind Waker attire.

On top of all that, when the first DLC pack is released (the Master Wind Waker pack) both versions of the game will get Medli as a new playable character for FREE!

And just to reiterate, Wii U Owners do NOT get new Adventure Maps or My Fairy costumes, but they do get everything else.

Now the fun part: Speculation! What could the 4 new characters be? Well, since the Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask packs contained characters and costumes that related to those games (TP gave us Twili Midna along with the Dominion Rod and Postman and Ilia costumes, while MM gave us Young Link and Tingle and gave us a Skull Kid costume), I'm going to assume the same applies here:

Link's Awakening: Honestly, the only one that would fit at all here is Marin. She's really the only character that had any real presence in that game. I'm not exactly what she would do, though, since her specialty was being able to sing "Ballad of the Wind Fish." Perhaps she can use her song to command animals? I recall the villagers of Animal Village taking to her singing with great enthusiasm. Of course, at least one seagull must be involved.

As for Linkle's Weapon, that's even trickier. A good chunk of the weapons in Link's Awakening are already a feature in Hyrule Warriors. Even Bow-wow is already in the game as the final tier of weapons for Link's Gauntlets. What would be amusing, though, if Linkle ended up getting a sword and shield to emulate Link further, so that was pretty much what I ended up guessing. It's been some time since I last played Link's Awakening but I can't think of one weapon that was really different from what we already have.

DS Games: Linebeck. I mean, really, could it be anyone else? It's been an age since I last played Phantom Hourglass (can't really stand it) but the most I remember him is being quite a coward and that was about it. Not really sure what he'd do but I'd love to see it worked out on.

Toon Link's weapon though... Again, since I haven't played the DS games in a very long time, I just can't seem to remember what unique weapons were even in those games. What did immediately spring to mind, however, was the Grappling Hook from Wind Waker. Yes, it's stretching a bet, but they are designed in the same way, are from the same timeline, and PH Link is exactly the same as WW Link anyway. I just would adore to see all the silliness they could add using it, with finishers involving Toon Link swinging along a ledge, kicking foes as he flies along. I also thought Deku Leaf and Wind Waker, but those are already being used by other characters to an extent.

ALBW: Lots of characters from this, so it's good that there's two. My first immediate thought went to Yuga, one of the few villains that could actually overcome Ganon's pure evil. Naturally, a lot of his attacks would involve paint in some ways (haven't actually beaten it yet so I don't know everything about Yuga).

As for the second character, honestly, I'm actually going to step a ways out. I mean, there is Hilda, but she's basically a reskinned Zelda (you can even already play as Zelda with Hilda's colours in Hyrule Warriors) so that would seem pointless. Ravio is a bit more likely, possibly using all the different tools you could rent in ALWB as well as Sheerow, but considering the plot twist about his character, again, it'd feel like a bit of a waste.

Instead, I'm going with a character that's from the same universe as ALBW, but form a different period of time, specifically from LTTP: Agahnim. Granted, this is more nostalgia talking than anything (Agahnim was the first Zelda villain I ever saw, thanks to Nintendo Power's comics) but it'd be pretty great to see a pure sorcerer character in the game, teleporting every which way and launching bolts of lightning at enemies. True, he'd probably just be a bigger Wizzro, but I just really want to see this!

Other possibilities for any of these slots include the likes of Groose, Vaati, Nabooru, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting. What do you think?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:48 am 

Thinking back on the DS games, I remember the Hammer weapon from Phantom Hourglass being kind of unique and cool, being that it was technically wielded by the fairy partner instead of Link himself. If Toon Link doesn't already have the Skull Hammer, that might be a neat new weapon.

I also remember that leaf-pinwheel thing from Spirit Tracks where you would blow into the microphone to send a gust of wind ahead of Link. Since the Deku Leaf is already in use by someone else, this seems like an appropriate substitute.

As for the new character, I think Byrne from Spirit Tracks could be cool, but I agree that Linebeck has more presence even if he never had the nerve to fight unless he was possessed by Bellum.

By the way, does Toon Link have his engineer costume already? I don't know, I don't really keep up with Hyrule Warriors, I'm just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:11 am 

Pikmanipulator wrote:
By the way, does Toon Link have his engineer costume already? I don't know, I don't really keep up with Hyrule Warriors, I'm just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Image Well, it's not out here yet, but from what I can see, that's not the case yet. I wouldn't doubt though that they would add his engineer costume in the future (though I'd personally prefer his Crawfish one) as DLC (Update: Crawfish outfit is already built into the 3DS version unlocked on the Wind Waker Adventure Map). Every pack included some costumes for the already existing characters so it wouldn't be a stretch to see the engineer one added. Still, last time, they explicitly mentioned you would get new costumes so it could go either way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:18 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
Autumn
Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks Pack
An Adventure Map based off the two DS games
1 New Character
1 New Weapon for Toon Link

So this DLC pack was announced in the latest Nintendo Direct, and the new character is actually Toon Zelda! Specifically, it's her ghost and Phantom form from Spirit Tracks. Not what we were expecting, but a nice addition nonetheless. I especially like the special move where she shrieks in front of some mice and enemies get damaged by the shriek.

As for Toon Link's new weapon, it's the Sand Wand, also from Spirit Tracks. (Which leads me to wonder, where is the Phantom Hourglass representation?) I admit having forgotten about that item until just now, but now that I remember it, it was pretty neat and unique. It also seems to come with the ability to summon the Spirit Tracks train to ram into enemies.