Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:48 am 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
Started Turn A Gundam. I always had this one on my list, and was always curious about it. Love the early 20th-century feel, and the characters don't feel like the franchise's usual archetypes, except maybe Harry Ord being a Char Clone.

Last edited by Azure on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:49 am 

I've heard Turn A sticks out a lot in the series for various reasons. Seems pretty cool but I think I want to be more familiar with the basic set up before I check it out. I was watching Mobile Fighter G Gundam with some online pals. Need to watch more of it but haven't really had a time when everyone was together.

Also finished the Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency arcs of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I liked the first better than the second. While I liked the second one I felt it had a few problems:

Inconsistent characterization of Joseph (though I hear stuff like that happens a lot in the manga)
Boring villians (they only got particularly interesting towards the last stretch of episodes and that was more just cause of the fights.)
Lisa Lisa's role in the story (story wise she should be the strongest ripple user, yet she only ends up being a token to fight for.)

And there was a decent part in the middle where but interest was waning but that picked up toward the last six or so episodes.

One thing I really like about the series so far is seeing the legacy the characters leave as it goes from one generation to the next.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:32 pm 

That's kinda funny how you like the first part better than the second. I usually see the other way around.

Yeah, Hirohiko Araki was a little shaky on his writing in the earlier parts, so there's a few things like plot holes and one time powers that are never used again. He probably realized this and that's why part 7 onwards takes place in an alternate universe. Nonetheless, he really knew how to make a story enjoyable.

I thought the villains were really interesting when I first read part 2, but I'll admit that Cars does pale in comparison to the other main villains in terms of how interesting he is.

Lisa Lisa's role was definitely a big problem. I hear Araki wanted to put her into actual fights, but the editors just wouldn't let him. Such a shame. Thankfully, part 6 more than made up for that.

That's something I like about JoJo too. The thing I like most about the series is that it really lives up to the title. It's about a guy named JoJo, he goes on an adventure, and bizarre is the understatement of the millennium when it's applied to this series.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:18 am 

Part 7 is an AU due for publishing reasons. Originally it was a separate manga because his publishers at the time didn't want him continuing JoJo but eventually he moved to a new publisher and just made that part 7. At least, that's my understanding of it.

And the villian's had cool fights but other than that I was like, 'what even is their motive?' even at the end I have no clue 'ok dude you're shadow the hedgehog the joke is, ultimate lifeform or w/e i dont know about this nerd sonic !#%$. now what.'

The more interesting elements of the setting that could be explored through them like the history of ripple users and the masks were barely scratched.

Also, I can barely define their personalities. its like, there's honor guy. there's power guy. and.... fire(?) guy. fire is a personality right?

I was actually more interested by Santana but he was only there briefly.

But, don't get me wrong, the fights were cool.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:58 pm 

Raxy wrote:
Part 7 is an AU due for publishing reasons. Originally it was a separate manga because his publishers at the time didn't want him continuing JoJo but eventually he moved to a new publisher and just made that part 7. At least, that's my understanding of it.

...That is correct. I forgot it used to be its own thing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:47 am 
Site Admin

Space Dandy's a really good show with a fantastic OST, great setpieces, and some hilarious comedic writing.

I mean, it's just so good. I knew it'd be good from the get-go, but it's still surprising me how good this show really is even in the 10th episode of the second season.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:13 am 

Reading Vinland Saga right now. I love the art style, and it's one of the most realistic portrayals of vikings I've seen. I'm liking it so far.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:22 am 

i have heard evangelion the television series will be getting a large blue ray release :o :lol: :mrgreen: i eagerly await

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:13 pm 

Shredderman8160 wrote:
Reading Vinland Saga right now. I love the art style, and it's one of the most realistic portrayals of vikings I've seen. I'm liking it so far.

I really should check that out, I've heard good things.

I've just been watching Psycho.Pass season 2 and Parasyte myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:59 am 
Site Admin

Recently went through all of Gurren Lagann for the first time.

I've transcended. I finally understand. I finally believe.

I really, really loved it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:05 am 

Started reading Vagabond. Another violent manga with incredibly detailed art that's still ongoing. It's awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:29 am 

Started watching Armored Trooper Votoms. I got so into Super Robots, I thought I'd check out a Real Robot series, and Votoms is as real as it gets. It's starting off pretty slow, but it's definitely picking up the pace as it goes on. I'm liking it so far.

Also started watching The Big O. It's literally Batman if he used a giant robot instead of a batsuit. I'm also watching the English dub and it sounds fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

One-Punch Man speaks to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:39 pm 

I've been watching Monster recently. Holy crap, this show is amazing. The English dub is fantastic, too.

Also, Berserk is resuming as a monthly series from now on. Very excited for that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:49 pm 

Spoiler: click to show

It's happening.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next