Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:31 am 

Image Started watching the adaptation of The Eccentric Family (有頂天家族 Uchōten Kazoku). It's got some pretty great writing thus far, two episodes in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:45 pm 

Never heard of The Eccentric Family before.

I recently watched Watamote. It's only five episodes or so in, but it's good so far.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:20 pm 

Image Long story short, The Eccentric Family focuses on the Shimogamo family (specifically, Shimogamo Yasaburō, the third of four sons) who's father was a highly respected member of their society before he lost his life by being turned into delicious stew.

...Oh right, I forgot to mention. The Shimogamo family is made up of tanuki. That's kinda important, I guess... It's made clear right at the start that Kyoto is central to humans, tanuki, and tengu, though most humans never take notice to the more "fantastic" citizens unless they let themselves be known.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:09 am 

Image Oh, this episode is looking to be a funny one! Akadama-sensei doesn't like baths unless it is with Benten? What a dirty old tengu, hahaha!

...and then those last five minutes hit... What the hell?!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Watched the first Evangelion series and End of Evangelion with Raxy.

It was pretty trippy. I certainly felt like I was taking a ride on a pretty crazy roller coaster ride. Still, I enjoyed it and found the entire thing interesting. Definitely don't regret seeing it.

Also, I'm very happy I didn't try to experience it all at once. I don't think my psyche could handle that.

Now I have to see the Rebuilds.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:23 pm 

Falcon6 wrote:
Also, I'm very happy I didn't try to experience it all at once. I don't think my psyche could handle that.

I did!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

Raxy wrote:
Falcon6 wrote:

I did!

Case in point.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:15 pm 

Image Why? Why does my happy family anime have somber tones and depressingly heartbreaking cliffhangers? Why am I being tortured like this?!

Can't wait for Sunday...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:39 pm 

OK, I might have to check that out now. You've got my curiosity.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:46 pm 

Image Episode 11. Things are become so tense, they don't play the OP anymore. You know things are gettin' dire now.

But I wonder... Is this going to be a one season thing? It's slated to go for 13 episodes and I just finished watching the 11th...but it seems like there's still a lot to learn, but it also feels like there'll be a nice, warm conclusion too based on the preview of next week.

Nah, I am sure another season should happen. There'll still be questions left lingering.

Also, Yajiro to the rescue! Go Frog Bro!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:46 am 

Image Oh gosh, just one episode left of this fantastic anime...

All the major characters are in the same building... The climax is almost here!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:31 pm 

I've only been watching Attack on Titan lately.

Got roped into it by some dudes. It's been good so far.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:03 pm 

I finished Part 5 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Definitely my least favorite so far. It's not bad, just not as good as the other parts. The stand fights were really interesting, though.

Now reading Part 6, featuring the first and only female JoJo thus far.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:58 pm 

Image Aaaand...we are done. No more episodes of Uchouten Kazoku (The Eccentric Family). I'm really going to miss it. It had a great premise, fantastic characters, lovely visuals, great soundtrack, and a lot of heart.

I really wish they would do more stories with them instead of focusing on just one year. There's still a lot that could be done with the idea of humans, tanuki, and tengu living together. Not to mention a few unanswered questions, like:

Spoiler: click to show
-Who exactly was Juro? Was he the leader of the Friday Fellows? Is he a special human much like Benten is? He certainly wasn't frightened when confronted by Yaichirou as a tiger as opposed to everyone else.

-Speaking of the Friday Fellows... What happened to them? Sure, the professor got booted because he refused to eat the same tanuki that he nursed back to health (aka Shimogamo matriarch) and Benten is okay, but what of the others, including Juro? Akadama Sensei blew everyone out of the building with the Fujin-Raijin fan so did they survive the fall? All the tanuki did so...

-What exactly are Kaisei's feelings for Yasaburou? They were arranged to be married before her father (who has now secluded himself away from Kyoto due to being exposed for selling out his brother and the former Nise-emon to the Friday Fellows) called it off. She always seems to help him out, but refuses to show her face to him. We know she doesn't like Benten, but is it out of jealously or the fact that she used her charm to turn Souichirou into a tanuki and boil him?

-For that matter, does Yajirou still have feelings for Kaisei? Or has being a frog in a well changed his attitude on that? He still can't change back so...

-What exactly is up with Benten? She's still as much an enigma at the end as she was at the beginning. Why did she join the Friday Fellows in the first place? How exactly does she feel about Yasaburou? About Akadama Sensei? Why did she sometimes come to the well just to cry?

Regardless, I think you all should give it a go and watch it. I highly enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:52 am 

Yeah, I really have to check that out.

I finished Attack on Titan, and it was pretty good. I think there's going to be a second season but IDK.

And I need to catch up with Watamote now that it ended.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next