Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:59 am 

Completely off the point of that video, I know, but has Rosalina's voice actress changed? Like, since Mario Kart 7?

...Yes, apparently, it has. What the heck, Nintendo? She basically sounds like a softer version of Peach now.

Oh, but good video, B. That looked like a race gone swimmingly.

Last edited by Pikmanipulator on Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:19 am 

Lotta really good aim with shots in that video.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:38 pm 

More Mario Kart 8 happening right now. Will probably stream for quite some time.

((OOC: It's over now. My Internet is bugging out. Sorry guys.))

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:10 pm 

Image Alright, figured I'd give a few updates on things that's been happening.

Firstly, some good news: I found my code for my Sony Vegas 12 so I can start using it to edit properly again! Throwing away Windows Movie Maker again so say "Good riddance" to 480p videos!

Now then, the main point for this post is that, one of these days, I would very much like to start adding commentary, both to livestreams and pre-recorded footage as well. It sounds like it could add a ton more personality since watching gameplay on its own can be boring to some. But here's my problem...

I am terribly shy!

Go ahead and ask regular Skype goers like Falc or Elby. The first time we played Magicka together, we all got on Vent...but I refused to talk outside of text. I eventually warmed up and I feel very comfortable talking on Vent with them now. But it always feels like a struggle, personally speaking. But I really need to stop chatting via text because it doesn't feel as personal to the audience, I think.

So what I'm wondering is: Does anyone have any good suggestions to help me overcome this sense of stage fright? I don't want to just play video games and have people watch anymore. I want to interact with my audience, talk with them, maybe have straw polls if I become stupid popular somehow. That sort of thing.

...And I want to do it in time for my confirmed Hyrule Warriors stream that will happen on release day! Which is September 26th.

One question for that though is this: What time would be best for most of you? I was thinking of starting the stream mid-afternoon but if something works better, let me know. You all have a month to think it over so no rush.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:26 pm 

Have some people join you for the first time possibly, that's what I did. I'd be willing to join in.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:59 pm 

Image It could be good in theory, but it would have to be around those I'm already comfortable talking too. Again, refer back to what I said about Magicka. I couldn't bring myself to talk with people I considered friends!

Here's a slightly funny story: I actually almost did have a recorded voice session on Twitch. Was playing FFXIV with Anhs and Yokuba and I was chatting it up, even talking to people on the Twitch chat. But it wasn't until after I was done (2-3 hours if I remember) that I realized my XStream mic wasn't turned on. Oops...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:14 pm 

Yeah, that's also what I'd have to say. Get someone you're comfortable with to join you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:31 pm 

I'll be your lp superstar, let's go make dumb comments on video games.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:40 pm 

Yeah, a co-host really helps with breaking the ice and keeping commentary flowing. As for how to overcome shyness, the only advice I have is to not care what other people think about your commantary (within reason) and to just start doing it. It'll start coming naturally the more you do it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:40 pm 

Yeah, just dealing with it and doing it's the best way, I find, since I was definitely pretty quiet myself even in voice chat with buds, but, well, I just kept doing it and got used to it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:44 am 

Image Damn, I was afraid this was going to be the most popular answer... It's really hard to have a co-host commentate with you, as helpful as it is, if the other has no interest in your passion.

I mentioned this before, but over on Skype, everyone tends to play games that I just don't have interest in (DOTA 2, TF2, etc.) and if I don't feel invested, neither will the audience. Likewise, I feel the games I am invested in not many would want to join in on. I would certainly love to play Advance Wars with some guys, but if the general consensus is "Meh", then why bother?

A far more recent example was given to me by FSL. He wants to play RE5 with me.

But here's a spoiler. Okay, don't say I didn't warn you:

Spoiler: click to show
I HATE RESIDENT EVIL 5!!! Seriously, why even suggest it?! I thought I made my distaste for it perfectly clear a very, very long time ago! It single-handedly made me lose interest in the entire franchise!

I hear good things about Revelations, but I never played it because 5 soured my opinion that much!

It just isn't going to work out, I think, and that's merely the tip of the iceberg. Variety, as they say, is the spice of life, but nobody ever mentioned it can also segregate you if interests just don't match up with others.

The best opportunity, I think, would be to try another FFXIV fest if I'm ever feeling up for it since it's seems to be the only game that matches up with at least a decent number of blokes, but I'm just in an MMO-less funk these days...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:02 am 

Well it doesn't help that your primary audience is a half-dozen old friends whose interests have naturally drifted over time. I know I just haven't gotten into online multiplayer games much, and usually stick to local multiplayer or single player games.

The co-host thing was more or less a suggestion on how you might ease out of your shyness, but if that's not an option, I still think just starting and continuing to commentate will help you come out of your shell a bit naturally.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:40 am 

Image Y'know what's funny? Your interests match much closer to my own, though with a stronger lean towards Single-Player but that's more due to my situation of living alone than it is with interest (I would like nothing more than to play Wii Party or Game & Wario multiplayer). Online multiplayer, outside of MMOs, have been less and less a thing for me due to the competitive nature it often brings, and with it comes a very toxic group of people. I will never stream something like, say, DOTA or Hearthstone for that reason (besides the fact that I just don't plain like them that much), though Mario Kart 8 is the exception, but I guess it also doesn't have voice chat outside of friends so that helps. But I digress...

You all make valid points. Having someone to talk to, especially someone who actually has done recording before, can help you open up. I've often caught myself talking about random things in context of the game (like Mario Kart 8, I find myself randomly chatting about some of the little details I like) despite knowing that no one listening. Maybe someday, I should just do a "test session" where I'm not streaming but recording, just turn the mic on, and see what comes of it.

Also, embarrassing confession time...

I often fantasize about playing Fortune Street with The Runaway Guys or being on the Co-Optional Podcast and often talk to myself in the middle of work. I get weird stares and people asking "What?" a lot...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:05 pm 

I suggested it cause why not? <.< I pretty much only wanted to play it solely for YouTube, not much else. Though I thought it was 6 that truly killed your interest, and that 5 just started killing it. I don't even like RE5 at all, outside of the character designs (Besides Chris! Though in Lost in Nightmares he isn't that roided out so he is bearable) Besides you needed stuff and that was all we could possibly play together. In fact I might do RE6 with a friend of mine if she ever gets it on PS3 since it was something we talked about it. idk what happened with it but my viewers wouldn't shut up...

I guess we could maybe try some stuff in Smash Bros when that game comes out. Hell, I think Pokemon X and Y have Double Maison things with co-op for friends or something. We can't record that (I still need to save up to buy a 3DS capture card) but we could do some tests with that, possibly. Send me your list of games you want to do, with anyone on here. I think we could work out something.

Also honestly multiplayer games aren't that bad if you play with the right people, some people just want to watch the world burn, some others want to have fun. The latter, from what I've noticed, applies to mostly everyone on here. But then again, I do find multiplayer can stagnate regardless. That test session idea could work though, not bad. It takes some time to grow out into things like this honestly, kind of like how most of us started on the forum. A lot of us were closed in, some of us might have even lied about our ages, but now some of us have opened on more personal levels, varying in some aspects like showing what we look like.

Also if it helps I would love to meet up with chugga and geek out with him over something. And then Jon comes and says 'Emile, please shut up.' Possibly at MAGFest too

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:34 pm 

I've dreamt of LPing with famous LPers. Of course the LPs I usually enjoy are the ones that are borderline insane in one way or the other.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:30 pm 

Speaking as someone who has actually been on a stream with a decent audience size before (I say decent, but I guess it's pretty small on scale? Probably around 50 people at most), it's basically just talking with friends. Having a co-commentator doesn't mean they have to play the game. And I would also suggest you ask for an interest check before you rule something out as something people are 'meh' about. A lot of people are just happy to chill with friends.

As far as I go, I'm pretty much happy to talk about any game over stream if I have the free time. Even play if you show me how to set it up. I know my schedule ends up being very sporadic though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:52 pm 

Image "Why not?" Because it wouldn't be fun, that's why not! I only went through the rest because my sis really wanted me to (despite having already beating it herself...and still preferring 4 because Leon) and I basically grin and bared it, with the only persuasion being "What is going to happen to Wesker?" No, 5 is what killed it. Believe it or not, I first had my doubts when 4 was released. I still think it's a really good game, but it dropped a lot of what I loved about Resident Evil and felt more streamlined, linear, and it was a path I was hoping wouldn't follow. 5 did exactly that, only worse with its even heavier action focus, and basically decided "I'm done" right then and there. I've only heard whispers of 6's terribadness but it made me glad I didn't pick that up.

I dunno if KP caught on while we were playing it though. Nevertheless, I think she at least heard how disgusted I was at the fact that there was cover based shooting in a Resident Evil game! You just don't do that!

Smash Bros. I can definitely feel comfortable doing though. It's just a shame it comes out after my intended "commentary due date" of September 26th so practicing with that would be too late unless I just decided not to commentate over Hyrule Warriors. Too bad we can't practice with Brawl now due to WFC being cut.

And I am aware that not all multiplayer games can be considered toxic so long as you get the right people to play with. People suggest this all the time when playing MMOs after all. I felt much happier and more comfortable raiding in a guild (specifically, fighting Twintania in FFXIV since that thing requires coordination) than I did with randoms since we had all gotten to know each other pretty well. It'd be no different with DOTA, I'm sure, but it all comes down to "who wants to play these games" again?

Raxy is right, though... I need to stop "assuming" and actually ask. Though I kinda sorta did with that failed "game night" thread didn't I? (Did anyone even try the gifted Worms I sent?)

I guess I can also have someone just chew the fat and not necessarily play as well. It's not like it hasn't been done before. I just wonder who'd be interested in coming on to watch me prance around in a Koei-Tecmo game since I've never played those before. Could be a bit aggravating. What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:58 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
Raxy is right, though... I need to stop "assuming" and actually ask. Though I kinda sorta did with that failed "game night" thread didn't I? (Did anyone even try the gifted Worms I sent?)

I did, though it's been so long I've forgotten the controls and I need to watch that video explanation of yours again. I was wondering when the heck that game night was going to happen.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:59 pm 

Pikmanipulator wrote:
I did, though it's been so long I've forgotten the controls and I need to watch that video explanation of yours again. I was wondering when the heck that game night was going to happen.

Image I was waiting for impressions, but I never got any, so the idea sort of slipped.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:02 pm 

Yeah I kinda forgot about Worms too...same as Pikmin, my bad.

RE5 would be fun solely based on us talking smack, not taking it seriously and so on. Really I've noticed in most takes of people LPing the game co-op, they enjoy it solely due to the other person they're playing with. I was talking to my friend, and he said that if not for his brother, it wouldn't have been fun to play at all. That said I'm not forcing you, not at all, mostly since I agree with everything you're saying. I dislike 5 too but I just figured, why not try something different for YouTube? Though I think going further into RE5 would derail this topic horribly. Also 6 is bad. So bad the fanbase is totally broken up, on a whole new level of being broken. Again though, the designs are neat. Also it's not just cover based shooting, it's really !#%$ cover based shooting!

It is a shame about Brawl. There are some work arounds but they're surprisingly complex. Most of them don't involve hacking or a potential risk of bricking the Wii, though that's the other problem, you can't do this on a Wii U. But yeah, multiplayer games at times can be ruined simply by other people. Still though, how about Pokemon? Like say doing doubles with me against the AI. It'd be cool coordinating and stuff. I'd be interested in watching you prance around in any game though

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:13 pm 

FSLAR wrote:
Still though, how about Pokemon? Like say doing doubles with me against the AI. It'd be cool coordinating and stuff.

The problem with that is that doing Multi Battles with a friend as your partner is local wireless only. It can't be done over the internet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:25 pm 

Pikmanipulator wrote:
FSLAR wrote:
Still though, how about Pokemon? Like say doing doubles with me against the AI. It'd be cool coordinating and stuff.

The problem with that is that doing Multi Battles with a friend as your partner is local wireless only. It can't be done over the internet.
Wait it is?

Huh, never really did it or checked. That's a huge bummer...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:30 am 

Image On top of that, I have no way of streaming any 3DS game at this point in time. While I know of at least one device that can do 3DS recordings, it's only compatible with the OG model, and not the XL which is what I have. Pokémon X/Y is fun to play with friends but I can't stream/record it, which is the big issue here.

I don't think chatting with my friends while gaming isn't as bad as it once was, but having my voice broadcasted to lots of potential strangers is definitely what gets me a bit rustled here, just for clarification. I can play and chat with Falc, Yokuba, Elby, etc. just fine now that I feel more confident in myself, but complete strangers will definitely take some getting used to.

I'll test run some time after this weekend and see how it sounds. Just a simple recording session mostly just to see how smooth my commentary was. If I need more opinions (and I probably will) I'll post the vid(s) here. Perhaps all I really need is a little self-confidence.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:00 pm 

There's another capture device that's compatible with the XL.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:42 pm 

DoM wrote:

Image I've actually seen this before, but it made me a little nervous. Sounds a little scary to want to open up my own 3DS like this, but then again, I guess the other capture device I saw also required some installation. Still, it's worth thinking about. I've seen some cool stuff done with 3DS capture and wouldn't mind having it myself.

It'd be nice for those craving some Monster Hunter 4 footage at least.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next