Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:13 pm 

FSLAR wrote:
Still though, how about Pokemon? Like say doing doubles with me against the AI. It'd be cool coordinating and stuff.

The problem with that is that doing Multi Battles with a friend as your partner is local wireless only. It can't be done over the internet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:25 pm 

Pikmanipulator wrote:
FSLAR wrote:
Still though, how about Pokemon? Like say doing doubles with me against the AI. It'd be cool coordinating and stuff.

The problem with that is that doing Multi Battles with a friend as your partner is local wireless only. It can't be done over the internet.
Wait it is?

Huh, never really did it or checked. That's a huge bummer...

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:30 am 

Image On top of that, I have no way of streaming any 3DS game at this point in time. While I know of at least one device that can do 3DS recordings, it's only compatible with the OG model, and not the XL which is what I have. Pokémon X/Y is fun to play with friends but I can't stream/record it, which is the big issue here.

I don't think chatting with my friends while gaming isn't as bad as it once was, but having my voice broadcasted to lots of potential strangers is definitely what gets me a bit rustled here, just for clarification. I can play and chat with Falc, Yokuba, Elby, etc. just fine now that I feel more confident in myself, but complete strangers will definitely take some getting used to.

I'll test run some time after this weekend and see how it sounds. Just a simple recording session mostly just to see how smooth my commentary was. If I need more opinions (and I probably will) I'll post the vid(s) here. Perhaps all I really need is a little self-confidence.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:00 pm 

There's another capture device that's compatible with the XL.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:42 pm 

DoM wrote:

Image I've actually seen this before, but it made me a little nervous. Sounds a little scary to want to open up my own 3DS like this, but then again, I guess the other capture device I saw also required some installation. Still, it's worth thinking about. I've seen some cool stuff done with 3DS capture and wouldn't mind having it myself.

It'd be nice for those craving some Monster Hunter 4 footage at least.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:21 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
ImageRaxy is right, though... I need to stop "assuming" and actually ask. Though I kinda sorta did with that failed "game night" thread didn't I? (Did anyone even try the gifted Worms I sent?)

I guess I can also have someone just chew the fat and not necessarily play as well. It's not like it hasn't been done before. I just wonder who'd be interested in coming on to watch me prance around in a Koei-Tecmo game since I've never played those before. Could be a bit aggravating. What do you think?

There were lots of us interested in a game night, just it got stopped because we had trouble finding a game to start with and then some of us just had scheduling problems.

And yeah as I mentioned I'd be cool joining any sort of game stream if I'm available.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:38 pm 

Image Anyone fans of GameXplain? Watch around 17:50 - 33:00... You'll find someone pretty familiar there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:25 pm 

Spoiler: click to show
Oh, hey! It's Azure! Only his face is longer and he's not wearing glasses... Oh, wait. His name's Chris. Never mind.

So where's this familiar person, eh?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:01 pm 

Image So...I just finished recording my first commentary session. It's currently rendering right now. It's pretty embarrassing, but I'm willing to show it for some critique/support/embarrassment. I sound a bit nervous at first, but I start to really warm up about 15 minutes in.

Point is, I was having a good time and I look forward to trying this some more soon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:44 am 

Well...here goes nothing.
Part 2 is probably worse.
Part 3 has a lack of research mostly 'cause I didn't like this game.
Part 4 seems to be the only one with at least a bit of confidence.

((OOC: Again, keep in mind, it's practice. Lemme just point out what I think are gonna be the most common things
-That "popping" sound that amateur mics have, usually when making an "s" sound. Yes, it is very annoying and I am looking into ways to minimize that noise. Perhaps a better mic is in order?
-Lots of stutter. This is a human problem instead. Like I have mentioned before, I am rather shy so this probably feels a bit forced. The later videos I feel a bit more confident though so I think just repeat vids helps.
-Occasional mumble. Again, a problem with myself that's been with me my entire life. I need to fix that and am working on it.
-Forgetting key points. Having some notes would fix that. I didn't bother here because it's just practice, not full on commentary.
-Bad jokes. I'm just unfunny. Live with it.

If you see any other problems, let me know. Again, I would very much like to get into a comfortable role of commentating every time I do either a standard vid or a Twitch stream and I would like to improve as much as possible.

At the very least, I did get them to be 1080p, though I wonder if it was worth it considering that, I think, these games are 720p, but whatever.

At the end of the day, after making these, I do feel more relaxed and am looking forward to the Hyrule Warriors stream later this month. Still, I have lots of work to do if I want to be more easily presentable to viewers.

One thing that bugs me that I will never purposely fix though is my voice... Asking those who don't know my age, how old do you think I am based on my voice?))

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:30 am 

I think it was fine, my only real issue is the game choice itself wasn't a good pick. At times I felt you didn't have much to say or add, and this also might be why you thought you were 'unfunny'. Any other issues, are things you pointed out. Though your mic audio seemed quiet a bit, so I think it should be increased a little.

That said, honestly, game choice does matter in getting people interested. I didn't watch the full video based on it being Wii Party U, though length could be a detriment too. I find most people may not watch a video that is 40 minutes long, but this is a debatable choice.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:25 pm 

((OOC: I don't intend to make videos that long, no worries. It's easy to lose interest, I'm sure, especially if the game itself isn't worth watch. I find that 20 minutes is a good set up, personally, since that's roughly the same as your average American television show. I was just too lazy to edit this time.

Again, the main thing I'm just trying to do is feel comfortable, hence why these videos are unlisted. I have 'em up merely for practice and/or critique, mostly for streaming. I personally find that more enjoyable than a full LP, though that may be something I'll give a try in the future.

I tried to increase mic volume post edit (I use Audacity to record) but I'll try to increase the overall volume beforehand too. I won't be able to edit in a livestream anyways unless I create a highlight real, after all, so this is kind of important to note.

As an aside, I think this game would've been more fun with another person. Too bad there's no online. I'm also not sure what the steps are for recording with multiple people, though that isn't something I'm going to worry about for a very, very long time.))

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:09 pm 

multiple people could probably be solved with a skype call or something of that vein

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:11 pm 

DoM wrote:
multiple people could probably be solved with a skype call or something of that vein

((OOC: Online, sure. In fact, I already know that works since it was happening for FFXIV (my big mistake was not having my own microphone turned on on xSplit). I was talking local multiplayer with everyone in the same room.

Though this makes me think... Wii U Smash recordings are gonna be fun!))

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:03 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
((OOC: I don't intend to make videos that long, no worries. It's easy to lose interest, I'm sure, especially if the game itself isn't worth watch. I find that 20 minutes is a good set up, personally, since that's roughly the same as your average American television show. I was just too lazy to edit this time.

Again, the main thing I'm just trying to do is feel comfortable, hence why these videos are unlisted. I have 'em up merely for practice and/or critique, mostly for streaming. I personally find that more enjoyable than a full LP, though that may be something I'll give a try in the future.

I tried to increase mic volume post edit (I use Audacity to record) but I'll try to increase the overall volume beforehand too. I won't be able to edit in a livestream anyways unless I create a highlight real, after all, so this is kind of important to note.

As an aside, I think this game would've been more fun with another person. Too bad there's no online. I'm also not sure what the steps are for recording with multiple people, though that isn't something I'm going to worry about for a very, very long time.))
That's one of my reasons yeah, so it can work for people like that. As for unlisted, not a bad choice either. Audacity is a good method to record, all of my YouTube friends use it and recommend it. I'd edit the mic volume in your editing software only though, I found doing it in audacity wasn't too desirable. For livestreams...hmm, good point. I don't do them since I have issues getting my stuff to work and don't think it's that worthwhile.
The Great B-Man wrote:
DoM wrote:

((OOC: Though this makes me think... Wii U Smash recordings are gonna be fun!))
Man, those will indeed be fun. I tried recording a few Brawl matches when the game first came out but due to my less than desirable methods, it didn't work out too well. This makes me want a Wii U more though, gah.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next