Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:58 pm 

Image Since I know not everyone checks the MMO thread when I brought this up and I wanna go outside of MMO stuff anyway, I figured this deserved its own separate thread to get some opinions/feedback.

So recently, I have begun to do Twitch streaming. According to feedback from Yokuba and Elby, who were kind enough to watch, everything went well outside of the usual Twitch bugs that they've experienced before. I actually had quite a bit of fun doing it, just playing through the beta of WildStar and talking with friends as the gameplay went on so it got me thinking... I'd like to do more of this.

But playing just any game isn't enough. It needs to be something people will come over and want to view, so a couple of questions: Would you like to see some random gameplay footage and if so, what would you like to see?

For the record, I'm not just talking about Twitch, though that'll probably be the majority of my gameplay time I'll spend with since it lets me interact with people directly. I am also talking things like when I was uploading those SM3DW videos on YouTube for people to watch.

So...any specific games that interest? Larger focus on alphas/betas? LPs? Perhaps more footage/tutorials on games that appear in this thread? Quick Looks/First Impressions of new releases? Collabs with other gamers on YouTube on this forum? Just lemme know if this is something that interests you and I'll see what I can do in the future.

Note: While console gameplay can be put on YouTube, I am currently unable to stream console games on Twitch due to a lack of capture card (if there is a way to use Hauppauge with Xsplit's Gamecaster, I haven't figured it out yet). This disappoints me because I was seriously thinking about streaming Mario Kart 8 since that sounds like it'd be fun to do. However, this is something I intend to fix in the future, so it's not an idea that's completely out of the water yet.

-----------------

For reference, my channels:

YouTube
Twitch

Not exactly pretty looking at the moment, but I am working on fixing that.

Last edited by The Great B-Man on Thu May 08, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:54 pm 

I like LPs if either the commentary is funny or the game interests me enough. I don't know if you plan to have commentary though.

I will say my personal preferences are blind lets plays of games I love, because they allow me to re-experience the first time playing a game through the reactions of the player, but it doesn't have to be blind. Sometimes if you know every nook and cranny of a game it can be interesting to watch a game be 100%'d.

As for games I would be interested in watching, most of them are really niche. I wouldn't expect you to have Mickey Mania on SNES and the original Star Fox is hard to come by. If you've never played it before, I'd love to see you play through Guacamelee because it's utterly fantastic. If you're a masochist willing to do anything for views you can't go wrong with Sonic 06. Donkey Kong Country 3 also needs more love in the LP community so I'd love to see that done.

I don't know about me being able to catch streams though. I usually can't due to time restrictions but I would watch the crap out of a Youtube LP at my leisure if it's good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:14 am 

get naked

oh wait game

play naked solitare

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:24 am 

McKnackus I wrote:
I like LPs if either the commentary is funny or the game interests me enough. I don't know if you plan to have commentary though.

I will say my personal preferences are blind lets plays of games I love, because they allow me to re-experience the first time playing a game through the reactions of the player, but it doesn't have to be blind. Sometimes if you know every nook and cranny of a game it can be interesting to watch a game be 100%'d.

As for games I would be interested in watching, most of them are really niche. I wouldn't expect you to have Mickey Mania on SNES and the original Star Fox is hard to come by. If you've never played it before, I'd love to see you play through Guacamelee because it's utterly fantastic. If you're a masochist willing to do anything for views you can't go wrong with Sonic 06. Donkey Kong Country 3 also needs more love in the LP community so I'd love to see that done.

I don't know about me being able to catch streams though. I usually can't due to time restrictions but I would watch the crap out of a Youtube LP at my leisure if it's good.

Image I'm pretty sure LPs, especially modern ones, by definition should have commentary of some kind, be it audio or visual in the form of on-screen text or like how they used to do it, which is post screens with commentary on the side.

To be honest, my nerves are incredibly shocked at the idea of doing commentary at this point. I have been incredibly shy growing up and, while I've conquered it mostly, I still have trouble just opening up and talking like a normal person to people I don't know immensely, such as family or very close friends. I know people like Elby and Falcon can attest to that when, even though I got on Vent for the very first time with them to play Magicka, I never said a word and just listened. I've gotten better though.

An LP is something I'd like to do someday, but I need to get over my "stage fright" as it is. Also, I don't wanna see my video on Retsupurae...

If I do try one, it probably isn't going to be blind since that would require a ton of "making up things as you go along." It's basically improv and people who are good at it are really good at it. I don't believe I am one of those people, but I'm not entirely opposed to trying that some day. Nevertheless, I'd rather LP a game I know front to back and detail every little thing about the game, showcasing various moves, secrets, hidden details, backstory, etc. as those are the kinds of LP I, personally, enjoy.

A cardinal rule of LPing is also to play a game you would probably enjoy, so don't expect something like Sonic '06 anytime soon, if at all. (Besides, there are others who have done that game so much better than I could hope). I've got a few niche things here and there that might make for interesting commentary however. (As an aside, I'll also play them "legit" as in having the actual cartridge/disc whenever possible for those wondering. Some exceptions would include things like fan translations ala Mother 3.)

I'm gonna try to get all Twitch stream VODs (at least the good ones) onto the 'Tube as well so if you can't catch it live, there'll at least be something to watch.

Mecha wrote:
get naked

oh wait game

play naked solitare

I don't have a webcam so that won't exactly be very entertaining.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:31 am 

Image Carbine just announced that this weekend is a bonus weekend for WildStar testing! So if you guys wanna see some more of that, lemme know.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:56 pm 

Image Planning to do a FFXIV stream tonight if you guys wanna see. I'll be joined by Yokuba and Anhs for this as we tackle Titan HM and Thornmarch.

Will be sure to edit and post a highlight to YouTube as well for those who can't catch it live.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:40 pm 

Stream coming within a few minutes. Feel ready!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:35 am 

Image I appreciate everyone that stopped by to watch. There is a VOD on Twitch, but unfortunately, you can't hear my voice, which was an oversight on my part, sorry. I won't bother uploading that to YouTube but hopefully I can get the kinks working for next time.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:11 pm 

Image I never tire of this.

PS. Would a Monster Hunter stream be of interest? I recently found out I actually can stream console games. One I intend to do is Mario Kart 8, but if there's anything else you'd like to watch before then, lemme know.

Be sure to follow on Twitter as well to know when a stream starts the soonest.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:31 pm 

There is absolutely no such thing as too much Monster Hunter, so I approve 5,000%.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:34 pm 

Image Mario Kart 8 stream is about to happen soon. Come join us!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:49 pm 

Image Thanks everyone for coming by to watch! Just after I closed the stream, I unlocked myself, so I decided to use my Mii while testing out MKTV.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:50 pm 

Image Got some free time between Monday and Wednesday as of right now so I figured I could set up some more streaming then. Some people (more specifically, Moogle) desired to see some more stuff despite the terrible video quality (blame the bandwidth...I can only go up to a measly 2Mbps) so I'm thinking one of those days outta be pretty good this week, if not all of 'em.

What's our desire? Just some more Mario Kart 8? Or perhaps a bit more variety? Was thinking of showing off some Wii Party U as well, for the curious.

Wondering of mic would be good to use as well, or if you'd prefer I leave that off?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:44 am 

Image Actually, something I just remembered: I bought WildStar a while ago. Like, preordered, and I totally forgot I did (questing just didn't leave that big an impact on me).

Anyway, a thought went over me... How about a stream some of that? Start up a new character (since beta characters get deleted) and we can travel together on Nexus. I'm willing to give it a second chance. What say you? Feel like starting tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:16 pm 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
Sounds great to me.