Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 754 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: Super Smash Bros.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:03 pm 

Image Main site update with character pages. Check 'em out:

Image Image Image

Have some sweet artwork:

Tetsuya Nomura

Yusuke Kozaki

Eiji Funahashi

Cloud and Bayonetta cost $5.99 each ($6.99 for both consoles) since they come with stages. Corrin costs $4.99 ($5.99 for both consoles).

Since this is the final count, according to Sakurai, we have 58 characters to play as in this game. Quite large, indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:18 pm 

Bayonetta! Oh yes, I voted for her for a reason, WHOO!

Corrin is...cool, I don't know much on him or Fates in general, just that I had plans on getting it after Path of Radiance and Awakening. But Bayonetta, yeah! She should have been in from the start with Bayonetta 2 honestly, but better late than never.

Oh god, the possibilities...the taunts...the smashes (final smash in particular, I wanna know about)....the fan art.........................oh dear lord the fan art.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:22 pm 

FSLAR wrote:

Corrin is...cool, I don't know much on him or Fates in general, just that I had plans on getting it after Path of Radiance and Awakening. But Bayonetta, yeah! She should have been in from the start with Bayonetta 2 honestly, but better late than never.

Oh god, the possibilities...the taunts...the smashes (final smash in particular, I wanna know about)....the fan art.........................oh dear lord the fan art.

Image Should've mentioned the Final Smash. It's Umbran Climax. Everything goes into Witch Time with a Climax Gauge appearing at the bottom. Fill it up and out comes Gomorrah who attacks the other fighters!!

Anyone that's over 100% gets instantly KO'd.

As for taunts, they are deliberately the longest taunts in the game...though you can cancel them at any time.

One last thing, one of her lines in the trailer was "If you need to learn how to talk to a lady, ask your mother." Dunno if that's a taunt, but I thought that was a cute nod to Kamiya, if it was deliberate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:28 pm 

Image Since these are the last characters, I decided to group everyone into franchises (except third parties, who get categorized into companies) and see what got the most rep. Here's what I found, organized from most to least:

Mario - 7
Pokémon - 6
Fire Emblem - 6
Zelda - 5
Kirby - 3
Kid Icarus - 3
Mii - 3
Donkey Kong - 2
Metroid - 2
Star Fox - 2
EarthBound/MOTHER - 2
Sega - 2
Capcom - 2
Yoshi - 1
F-Zero - 1
Game & Watch - 1
Pikmin - 1
WarioWare - 1
Robotic Operating Buddy - 1
Animal Crossing - 1
Wii Fit - 1
Punch-Out!! - 1
Xenoblade Chronicles - 1
Duck Hunt - 1
Namco - 1
Square-Enix - 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:38 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
FSLAR wrote:

Image Should've mentioned the Final Smash. It's Umbran Climax. Everything goes into Witch Time with a Climax Gauge appearing at the bottom. Fill it up and out comes Gomorrah who attacks the other fighters!!

Anyone that's over 100% gets instantly KO'd.

As for taunts, they are deliberately the longest taunts in the game...though you can cancel them at any time.

One last thing, one of her lines in the trailer was "If you need to learn how to talk to a lady, ask your mother." Dunno if that's a taunt, but I thought that was a cute nod to Kamiya, if it was deliberate.
Wondering if there's anything else to her Final Smash, but still, interesting. The taunts...oh my, I kinda love them.

The line was from Bayonetta 2 I believe. I really did love the angel thing with Pit though, it's the little things.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:40 pm 

FSLAR wrote:
Wondering if there's anything else to her Final Smash, but still, interesting. The taunts...oh my, I kinda love them.

The line was from Bayonetta 2 I believe. I really did love the angel thing with Pit though, it's the little things.

Image Was pretty amusing when watching live. I saw Pit and heard the Kid Icarus voice actors talking and thought "Is Sakurai really going to do this? The salt is going to be massive! First Fire Emblem, now Kid Icarus?"

But then Bayonetta shows up and it all added up. It was glorious!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:53 pm 

Image Watched a few specific parts of the direct again, mostly to find music. I didn't see a list for Midgar (though we'll know soon enough) but here's what we got for Umbra Clock Tower:

Let's Hit The Climax!
Theme Of Bayonetta - Mysterious Destiny (Instrumental) (Remix)
Tomorrow is Mine (Bayonetta 2 Theme) (Instrumental) (Remix)
One Of A Kind
Riders Of The Light
Red & Black
After Burner (∞ Climax Mix)
Friendship
Let's Dance, Boys!
The Legend of Aesir
Time For The Climax!

As an aside, when the Geno costume was revealed, they did play Beware the Forest Mushrooms. Gosh, I hope that gets patched in too!

Also, looked up a bit about Corrin since he/she seems super spoilery, but as it turns out, his dragon blood is actually something you learn incredibly early in the game so not a huge deal I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:12 pm 

Image Bundle #5 (aka the Cloud one) is now available for purchase! Go buy it!

Not all Mii Costumes announced are in this. Just the Squeenix ones (Geno and Chocobo hat).

Don't get too excited for Music either. We only get Let the Battles Begin! and Fight On!

Cloud also has no English voice acting. Awfully strange. But he feels really good to play as.

Cloud's victory theme persists on the Results screen and his Congratulations for beating Classic uses a modified version of FFVII's logo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:15 pm 

Dammit, I was hoping J-E-N-O-V-A and One Winged Angel would've made it.

Glad they did the victory music loop, though. Wouldn't expect any less from Sakurai.

Also, Bayonetta. Wow. Even as a ballot winner, I definitely wouldn't have seen that coming.

Now that I have an income, it's a perfect time to get a Wii U and Smash.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:55 am 

The Great B-Man wrote:
FSLAR wrote:

Image Was pretty amusing when watching live. I saw Pit and heard the Kid Icarus voice actors talking and thought "Is Sakurai really going to do this? The salt is going to be massive! First Fire Emblem, now Kid Icarus?"

But then Bayonetta shows up and it all added up. It was glorious!
I can imagine, haha. I do wish I could catch these directs when I wasn't at work or taking an exam...
Shredderman8160 wrote:
Dammit, I was hoping J-E-N-O-V-A and One Winged Angel would've made it.

Glad they did the victory music loop, though. Wouldn't expect any less from Sakurai.

Also, Bayonetta. Wow. Even as a ballot winner, I definitely wouldn't have seen that coming.

Now that I have an income, it's a perfect time to get a Wii U and Smash.
With the holiday season, it is meant to be. Challenge your fate, Kiyoshi!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:08 am 

When I saw the Teen rating I knew Bayonetta was involved.

All these characters look really fun though, even if corrin looks really OP (seriously, the range on that side smash is REDICULOUS). I almost always play characters with aerials so I'd probably love playing Bayonetta, depending on just how "teen" she makes the game.

I'm also very tempted to get the costume pack, because the fact that anything Geno related at all almost feels like something worth commemorating, and I want to play as Blails and Bluckles.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:13 am 

Technically speaking "Mature" is the proper label for Bayonetta.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:47 am 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
Damn, have to say, I wasn't expecting either Corrin or Bayonetta. I'm honestly quite excited for Bayonetta especially... but Corrin looks awesome too. Also, I like the arrangement of Tomorrow is Mine that was playing in Bayonetta's trailer quite a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:01 pm 

I guess I might as well give my impressions on the reveal.

Cloud: I already said my bit about him. I was never a big Final Fantasy fan, so I probably won't be buying him. Heck, from what I've played of Golden Sun so far, the game is practically Nintendo's own Final Fantasy. I would have taken Isaac over Cloud any day, and I hope that in the event that a future Smash Bros. doesn't include Cloud, Nintendo will represent Golden Sun instead.

The Limit Breaker ability seems pretty rad, though.

Corrin: Really? Just...really? We already have five characters from Fire Emblem in the roster, and although I have no plans to purchase Roy as he's obviously there to please the Melee fans (of which I am not one), I thought that four characters was already pushing it. Sure, Awakening was huge in that it saved the series from going under, and was popular to the point that it justified giving Smash another spot in the roster, but that was enough. Three was enough. Fire Emblem does not have the prominence to merit more characters than Zelda or even Kirby.

Yes, I know that Corrin is a unique entry in the roster. Yes, he/she turns into a dragon and does awesome things, but right now, I can't care. He/she could turn into freakin' Pepsi Man and I still wouldn't care. You mean to tell me that they passed up a runner-up in the ballot, leaving Bayonetta as the only result of that, for Robin's equivalent in the next Fire Emblem game, a character that no one asked for, and for a series that is over-represented as it is?

No, I won't be buying Corrin.

Bayonetta: I honestly wasn't expecting her to get in, given the--as FSLAR put it--mature nature of the character and her games. ...Well, at least it's another woman, and a strong one at that. I can't say how well she speaks for female representation in video games, given that she's basically Hideki Kamiya's sex fantasy, but it does look like she was (thankfully) toned down for this game. I won't be buying her, but may her inclusion lead to Nintendo's acceptance of more female protagonists in the future.

I'm a cynic.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:31 am 

Gotta admit though, the salt is real with Bayonetta, I'm...amazed honestly. I thought Corrin would cause some, but he seems..unique I guess. My only real problem with the FE inclusions came to Lucina being a clone, they could have done a lot more with her. The amount of FE representation is staggering at this point though, and I wanna see other franchises get that love (Read: Metroid and F-Zero! Especially since I still have a Metroid fix...). I do agree with pikminpulator about Cloud, but I might still buy him for just for the roster.

Though I must say, some of the responses to the salt are fantastic and make me appreciate the little things. I'm still happy about Bayonetta's inclusion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 754 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next