Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 754 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Super Smash Bros.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:06 pm 

I didn't like Mewtwo in Melee. Way too slow and floaty, but they sped him up this time around. I'll still have to get used to his wonky hitboxes though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:11 pm 

So hey, as great as the ability to make completely custom levels is, I got really irritated with how completely un-intuitive the stage creator is. You can't move or edit objects, and when you mess up a shape on account of the oddly inaccurate gamepad screen you have to start over, which is especially annoying because one of the best ways to make not-glitchy levels that don't go over-weight limit it to make giant shapes. And if you mess up on the scaling, you have to delete stuff and try again.

So instead, I made Photoshop and Illustrator templates that use the built in snapping and grid features to make perfect, editable shapes for planning.

Here's the Photoshop templates.

and here's the Illustrator templates.

Hope they come in handy.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:01 pm 

So, thinking back on what B-Man posted about what possible newcomers were popular in Japan, I was curious to see if I could find anything extra. And this thread seems pretty comprehensive about it. It's kind of fun looking at it in retrospect. It's also nice that it delves a little into Europe's views as well later in the thread (page 4).

Quote:
Dark Pit's fanbase over there is smart enough to understand he would only work as an alternate costume.

Oh lawdy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:13 pm 

Image Lucas was announced to come out this June. Today, the official word has stayed true to that, with Lucas arriving on the 16th of June, retailing for $3.99 for each individual game, or $4.99 for both version.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the date isn't just for Lucas. For those who didn't preorder Splatoon, they can also get the Inkling costumes for their Mii this day as well. The set (which gets you boy and girl) costs $0.75 for one system or $1.15 for both systems. This is exclusive to the Gunner, as you might expect. There is also a Squid Head as well, which can be used by all fighters, for the same price. As an aside, a K.K. Slider costume (which, for some bizarre reason, is another Gunner outfit) will also be coming soon, but not in this pack, so keep an eye out, Animal Crossing fans.

And, finally, the Miiverse Stage will arrive, free of charge! At long last, we are finally getting some of those things that the 50-Fact Extravaganza promised us so long ago, outside of Mewtwo. Still no sign of Tournaments yet, however.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:29 am 

Image Here's an unexpected pre-E3 thing!

On June 14th, same day as all those DLC releases I just mentioned, at 7:40am PT, Sakurai is going to have a special little video all about Smash Bros. I wonder what he plans to talk about...? That being said, Sakurai's actual Miiverse post about it seems to talk exclusively about the stuff that's already been revealed, such as Lucas. But this is Sakurai we're talking about here. I don't think he'd do a simple video just to say "Hey, that stuff that was talked about previously is out today."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:47 am 

Image Sakurai's little vid is tomorrow morning, but I think someone spoiled the surprise...

I'll put them in spoilers in case some of you are going to be patient and wait until tomorrow.

Spoiler: click to show

HADOUKEN!!

Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy! Roy's our boy!

This should also confirm that Ryu's stage from SFII as well as Kirby's Dream Land from Smash 64 is coming as well.

It is still possible these are fake, but they are very good fakes if that's the case, and they look legit to me. What I'm wondering is...how? At least the Hyrule Warriors 3D leak was a mistake on Koei-Tecmo's part.

UPDATE: According to this post, Japan got the patch a little early, so some people got to datamine these. This implies that everything shown off is actually done which means we're getting more than Lucas here.

There's also some more Trophies, such as each of the new DLC characters and one of the Inkling Girl from Splatoon (she's not a character, but she outta be). New music includes some Rhythm Heaven music, specifically Blue Birds and Monkey Watch.

UPDATE 2: Looking more real by the minute! Even more stuff was datamined! Take a look if you dare:

-Sound files were uncovered of Xander shouting out the names of the new characters, as well as crowd chants ("Roy's our boy is back") and even Kirby shouting "Hadouken!", which confirms that Ryu's standard special is a Hadouken.
Ryu's official render
Roy's official render

Ryu's Stage, based off of the iconic location in Japan from Street Fighter II.

Ryu's series logo

All the various alt costumes are here

Some new Mii costumes were also found, including Zero from Mega Man X Megaman.exe from Battle Network, Isabelle from Animal Crossing, and even Heihachi and Akira!

Lastly, supposedly, the voice actors have been confirmed and they are the regulars you know before. Jun Fukuyama for Roy (implying he'll be Japanese only like Marth) and Kyle Hebert/Hiroki Takahashi for Ryu.

Also found some Victory Images. This one's my personal favourite:

UPDATE 3: There's even music files found! Only 3 are actual remixes but they're pretty great. Take a listen if you don't mind spoilers:

Forest Stage ORIGINAL
Pop Star ORIGINAL
Soul of Sectonia ORIGINAL
Ice Cream Island ARRANGE
Dream Land ARRANGE
Fountain of Dreams ARRANGE
Ryu's Theme ARRANGE
Ryu's Theme ORIGINAL
Ken's Theme ARRANGE
Ken's Theme ORIGINAL
Blue Birds (Rhythm Heaven) ORIGINAL
Monkey Watch (Rhythm Heaven Fever) ORIGINAL

Now, with that said...

Go home and be a family man!

UPDATE 4: They just don't stop!! Once again, only look if you don't want to be spoiled:

Images of every DLC character's special moves. Lucas and Roy are exactly the same as their previous incarnations, as you might expect, but Ryu is brand new. Based on these images, I can surmise that these are what they are:

Standard B - Hadouken
Up B - Shoryuken
Down B - Focus Attack (?)
Side B - Tatsumaki Senpukyaku I'D LIKE SOME POUND CAKE!!

UPDATE 5: Will it ever end?! I don't think so! Trophies now:

Looks like there are 11 new trophies.

Obviously, there is three for each character (normal, alt, and Final Smash) but the other two are the aforementioned Inkling Girl and Ken from Street Fighter.

Seeing the Final Smash trophies also lets us know what they could be. Lucas looks to be PK Starstorm again, as expected, though it looks slightly different from Ness's, but maybe it's just me.

Ryu's appears to be the Shin Shoryuken, though I'll let the SF experts talk about that instead.

Roy's is the only one I'm not sure of. I thought for sure it'd just be Critical Hit just like Marth and Lucina, but that's not the case. It looks closer to Ike's Great Aether, but I doubt that's what is happening here. All we know is that it involves our boy swinging his sword around in a circular motion with lots of fire coming out of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:18 pm 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
Well then, my mains, as of now, are in order...
Mega Man
Ryu
Shulk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:44 pm 

Image More datamining revealed some new Tips screens that some might be intrigued by:

Specifically, it gives us a look into Ryu's main gimmick, which is that he comes complete with being able to use old SF inputs for his moves. For example, you can QCF for a Hadouken instead of just pressing B and it'll even get a slight power boost.

This, of course, leads to this silly tip:

Shoryuken

Input forward, down, down-forward for 1.2x attack power. Think you can pull it off? SURE YOU CAN!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:46 am 

Image Show is over, and here is what we got!

Lucas is back today! The young boy from Mother 3 returns after a short absent from Brawl ready to bring whatever courage he can muster!

And joining alongside him...is another old friend of Smash vets.

Our boy, Roy, is back! From the first GBA Fire Emblem in Japan (often refereed to as "The Binding Blade") but most of you know him better as "that other Fire Emblem Lord that hasn't been around since Melee." Looks like Katie's running joke of Roy being excluded comes to an end now.

Now I know what you're thinking. "I want something new!" Well, have I got something for you:

Been a while since I posted this...

Perhaps the quintessential fighting game character, Ryu from Street Fighter joins Super Smash Bros. as a new fighter!! He comes complete with a rather unique fighting style for Smash that borrows a lot from his own series.

Tapping A will do light attacks, while holding will do heavy attacks. These can all be done with each directional attack. His special moves are also unique. While you can perform them using B just fine like always, you can also perform his special moves using the same button combinations from is home series. For example, a Hadouken, Ryu's signature attack, can be performed by pressing B (holding it down longer increases its range), but if you press Down, Down+Forward, Forward, and A instead, you can fire a Hadouken that way too. And you'll be rewarded with a slightly stronger one to boot.

He also has two Final Smashes this time, depending on how far away you are from your opponent.

Ryu looks to be a very complex character, but probably very rewarding too.

On top of these new characters include new costumes for Miis: Inklings, Squid Hat, Isabelle, Megaman.exe, Zero, Akira, Jackie, and Heihachi.

There are also three new stages: Miiverse Stage, Kirby's Dream Land from Smash 64, and Suzaku Castle from Street Fighter II.

They also teased that Hyrule Castle and Peach's Castle from 64 will also be coming soon, but did lament that they probably can't add too many more stages.

Tournament mode was also mentioned, with two different modes: A point mode where you try to get the highest score, and a traditional Elimination mode. The former is for those with different times, while the latter is for those with a set time. It isn't ready yet, but should drop sometime in August.

All of the characters, including the new DLC ones, will get amiibos. Special mentions go to Mr. Game & Watch, who has many different poses to choose from, R.O.B., who has a different colour in Japan, and the Mii Fighters, who can be fully customized in the game, including what outfits they wear. The next wave will hit in September.

I think that just about covers it... As for pricing:

Roy and Lucas cost $3.99 ($4.99 for both systems) each. Ryu is an extra dollar more since he comes with Suzaku Castle.

Kirby's Dream Land costs $1.99 ($2.99 for both). Miiverse, on the other hand, is FREE!

The Mii costumes cost $0.75 ($1.15 for both systems) each, or you can get them in a bundle for $6.00 ($9.20 for both).

You can also get a big bundle that has everything for $21.96 ($29.16 for both systems).

Last edited by The Great B-Man on Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:20 pm 

Erm, what?

Is this real?

So not only do we have five Fire Emblem representatives now, we also have TWO Capcom representatives?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:55 pm 

I said it before and I'll say it again.

Hell yes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:42 pm 

You know, it just occurred to me. When they add third party characters to the roster, they also include assist trophies from the same series. When Sonic and Snake were in Brawl, it had Shadow and Grey Fox as assist trophies, and Smash 4 has Elec Man and the ghosts for Mega Man and Pac-Man. Maybe Ken or Akuma could show up as a new assist trophy in a later update.

Nonetheless, this is rad as !#%$. He might just replace Little Mac as my main fist fighter. Once I actually get a Wii U, anyway.

Last edited by Shredderman8160 on Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:53 pm 

Shredderman8160 wrote:
You know, it just occurred to me. When they add third party characters to the roster, they also include assist trophies from the same series. When Sonic and Snake were n Brawl, it had Shadow and Grey Fox as assist trophies, and Smash 4 has Elec Man and Riki for Mega Man and Shulk. Maybe Ken or Akuma could show up as a new assist trophy in a later update.

Shulk isn't third-party. Monolith Soft is wholly owned by Nintendo, making it, and Shulk as a result, first-party.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:54 pm 

Pikmanipulator wrote:
Shredderman8160 wrote:
You know, it just occurred to me. When they add third party characters to the roster, they also include assist trophies from the same series. When Sonic and Snake were n Brawl, it had Shadow and Grey Fox as assist trophies, and Smash 4 has Elec Man and Riki for Mega Man and Shulk. Maybe Ken or Akuma could show up as a new assist trophy in a later update.

Shulk isn't third-party. Monolith Soft is wholly owned by Nintendo, making it, and Shulk as a result, first-party.

Oh, okay, guess I'll replace him with Pac-Man then. Even so, my point still stands.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:17 am 

Image Smash news just hit last night! It is in regards to an update that is happening this Friday, July 31st! It's the update I'm sure many have been waiting for:

Tournament Mode Is Coming!!!

Even though they slated for August, looks like it'll be ready earlier. On July 31st, Tournament Mode will finally be available for both offline and online play! As explained, there will be two different modes: Point based for those who want to play at different times, and Elimination for those who have a set schedule in mind. Should be fun!

On top of that, the previously mentioned Peach's Castle and Hyrule Castle from 64 will also be added in, giving 4 of the 9 N64 stages in the game.

Lastly, and this might sting for some since it could be seen as deconfirmations, more Mii Costumes were revealed. They include a Smash hoodie (everyone), Chrom (Swordmaster), and...King K. Rool (Brawler).

Hope this doesn't mean the end for the King.

It is also implied that the K.K. Slider (Gunner) costume will also be in this wave. More to be revealed tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:37 am 

Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia is gonna be a Mii Swordfighter costume.

Only one sword, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:02 am 

Shredderman8160 wrote:

Image Hey now!! Don't leave out Honey Bear (Gunner) and The Flying Man (Brawler)! Gonna make an update, gotta have everything, y'know!

Also, it seems Japan is implying that we are still not done! More to be revealed in the morning.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:40 pm 

Image And the last two outfits in Wave Three have been revealed.

Samus's power suit to go with the helmet that was already in the game (Gunner), and the Black Knight from Path of Radiance (Swordmaster).

Shockingly enough, no K.K. Slider this update. Huh... UPDATE: Scratch that. He's not included in the Wave 3 section because he is FREE when you update according to the official site.

Also, Honey Bear is now known as Bear Suit.

Anyway, prices. They are the same as similar packages, but just to remind everyone:

Stage (per Stage): $1.99 for one system, $2.99 for both.
Mii Costumes (per Outfit): $0.75 for one system, $1.15 for both.
Mii Costumes (bundle): $6.00 for one system, $9.20 for both.
Full Bundle: $9.98 for one system, $15.18 for both.
K.K. Slider Costume: FREE

As an aside, I never noticed this before, but most of the Miis showcased in these reveals have a QR Code on the official site for those who do want Lloyd or Chrom in the game to look as close as possible. Or if you just want them in Tomodachi Life or something.

Also also, for anyone curious, there is no discount when buying bundles. I just added everything up and it costs the same, whether you buy them separately or in a bundle, so feel free to just buy what you want instead of going all in if there are certain things you don't want. (Taxes not included in this math, btw, so that still might play a factor)

I've also taken the time to update the main post to include all DLC Stages up to this point now. Surprised I hadn't done that sooner.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:09 am 

Image Got myself the DLC and forgot that I had to expect new music! Most of them are originals, but there are two new remixes too! Here's what we got:

Peach's Castle
Peach's Castle Stage ARRANGE
Main Theme (Super Mario 64) ARRANGE
Slide ORIGINAL
Ground Theme (Super Mario Bros. 3) ORIGINAL
Ground Theme (Super Mario Bros. 2) ORIGINAL

Hyrule Castle
Hyrule Castle Stage ARRANGE
The Legend of Zelda Medley ARRANGE
Hyrule Field Theme ORIGINAL
Overworld Theme (The Legend of Zelda) ORIGINAL
Overworld Theme (A Link to the Past) ORIGINAL
Termina Field ORIGINAL

In addition, for those who haven't unlocked Samus's Helmet yet for Miis, you are given it for free if you get the Samus Armor DLC.

UPDATE: So, as it turns out, the Tourney Mode is online only. That's quite a downer for me since I liked having a set of CPUs at the ready for me to engage with. I suppose technically it can still be done with third party software but the built in stuff in Melee and Brawl was so nice to have...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:30 pm 

Noooo, my precious replays... ;_; They is gone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:54 am 

Image Looks like you aren't getting away from Super Mario Maker, even in Smash Bros.

New stage coming on the 30th for both Wii U and 3DS! Stage layout is different every time you play!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:28 pm 

Image DLC Pack #4 is now available! This is a Level + Costume pack as before. Why not open it up and take a looksee?

Stages

First off, for those with the 3DS version, at the absolutely low price of FREE, the Duck Hunt stage from the Wii U version has now been added!
Duck Hunt Medley ARRANGE
Wrecking Crew Medley ARRANGE

Exclusive to the Wii U version is the return of the Pirate Ship from Brawl, a stage based off of The Wind Waker. Ride through the Great Sea while on Tetra's ship as hazards such as boulders, cannons, and tornadoes hinder you. Omega version actually has you battling on one of those towers from the game, too.
Dragon Roost Island ORIGINAL
The Great Sea / Menu Select ARRANGE
The Legend of Zelda Medley ARRANGE
Dark World / Dark World Dungeon ARRANGE
Tal Tal Heights ARRANGE
Song of Storms ARRANGE
Gerudo Valley ORIGINAL
Gerudo Valley ARRANGE
Ocarina of Time Medley ARRANGE
Village of the Blue Maiden ORIGINAL
Termina Field ORIGINAL
Ballad of the Goddess ORIGINAL

And finally, on both versions of the game, in honor of the newest game in the Mario franchise, a stage based off Super Mario Maker has been released, which randomly generates each time you play!
Style Switch: Ground Theme (switches between different Ground Themes from the four games) ORIGINAL
Title (Super Mario Maker) ARRANGE
Mario Bros. ARRANGE
Super Mario Bros. Medley ARRANGE
Ground Theme / Underground Theme ARRANGE
Ground Theme (Super Mario Bros.) ARRANGE
Underwater Theme (Super Mario Bros.) ARRANGE
Princess Peach's Castle ARRANGE
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels Medley ARRANGE
Super Mario Bros. 3 Medley ARRANGE
Ground Theme (Super Mario Bros. 3) ARRANGE
Airship Theme (Super Mario Bros. 3) ARRANGE
Underground Theme (Super Mario Land) ARRANGE
Super Mario World Medley ARRANGE
Yoshi's Island (Melee) ARRANGE
Fortress Boss (Super Mario World) ARRANGE
Castle / Boss Fortress (Super Mario World / SMB 3) ARRANGE
Title/Ending (Super Mario World) ARRANGE
Main Theme (New Super Mario Bros.) ARRANGE
Athletic Theme / Ground Theme ARRANGE
Ground Theme (New Super Mario Bros. 2) ORIGINAL
Ground Theme (New Super Mario Bros. U) ORIGINAL
Peach's Castle Stage ARRANGE
Ground Theme (Super Mario Bros. 3) ORIGINAL
Ground Theme (Super Mario Bros. 2) ORIGINAL
Ground Theme (Super Mario Bros.) ORIGINAL
Ground Theme (Super Mario World) ORIGINAL

(Any song you haven't unlocked yet in the Wii U version will be automatically added with the purchase of the stages.
For the record, the only brand new song is Title (Super Mario Maker))

Costumes

Dress your Miis in these great new costumes!

Business Suit (all types) - Looking to fight in style? Dressing up in this makes you look more like you're ready for an interview as opposed to battle...unless, of course, said battle is the interview.

Toad Hat + Toad Suit (Brawler) - Dress yourself up as Peach's ever faithful attendant! Closest we've gotten so far to getting the mushroom head in Smash, at least.

Viridi Wig + Viridi Outfit (Swordfighter) - Unleash the Forces of Nature as this feisty Goddess from Kid Icarus: Uprising! (Reset Bombs not included)

Hunter's Helm + Hunter's Mail (Swordfighter) - Great starting gear for any Monster Hunter out there, though I doubt you'll get many carves here on the Smash battlefield.

Rathalos Helm + Rathalos Armor (Swordfighter) - When your Hunting Rank has improved, why not done an outfit based on the carves you got from the King of the Skies?

Fox Hat + Fox Outfit (Gunner) - Star Fox Zero may be delayed, but McCloud's legacy still lives on in Smash Bros. As an added bonus, this outfit looks closer to his Melee look as opposed to the modern Fox.

Captain Falcon Helmet + Captain Falcon's Punch (Brawler) - Now you, too, can throw your own Falcon Punches, or at least cheap imitations of them. Show 'em your moves in this sleek getup!

(Any outfit that has a hat unlockable in the game will automatically unlock with the purchase of that specific outfit)

---------------------

Also, one last announcement:

THIS IS THE FINAL WEEK TO ENTER THE SMASH BALLOT!

If you have any other characters you would like to suggest, do it now!

Last edited by The Great B-Man on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:21 pm 

Oh my gosh, that guy Toad is so creepy.

On the other hand, a briefcase gun for the business suits is all kinds of awesome.

As for the ballot, I'm perfectly happy with the one Nintendo character (Lip) and third-party character (Simon Belmont) I've already submitted. Something tells me that Konami's not going to be on board, though, given their recent activity.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:54 pm 

I voted for Mr. Sandman. Some say King Hippo is more iconic, but Sandman has appeared in the original arcade game and every console title afterwards, so I'd argue that he's just as iconic as Hippo is. That, and I just like Sandman more.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:07 am 

Image Just like with Roy and Ryu, some datamining revealed some hidden stuff in the 3DS version. Unlike last time though, we don't actually know in depth data. Sakurai's team got smarter this time.

Still, we've got a few facts:

3 more slots for characters, which means we could be seeing at least 3 more DLC characters added in the near future.
3 slots for stages. However, one slot seemed to fit in between Duck Hunt stage and Super Mario Maker, which implies maybe Pirate Ship was supposed to be on 3DS as well, but couldn't be done, so the belief is there's going to be two more stages planned as opposed to three.

Wonder what we'll see...?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:48 pm 

Image I...I can't even...!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:52 pm 

I expected many things.

This wasn't any of them.

Still, I can't say no to oversized swords.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:56 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:20 pm 

Image Reveal trailer for the curious.

Things to note:

-Brings various different Summons with him (I recognized at least Odin, Ifrit, and Leviathan) UPDATE: Might actually be stage hazards
-Can Limit Break, which seems to improve Cloud's abilities (such as his Up-B Recovery being higher)
-Final Smash appears to be Omnislash, because of course it is
-Midgar Stage (UPDATE: Official site says Cloud comes with the stage for both Wii U and 3DS, much like Ryu and his stage)
-Music includes Those Who Fight and Those Who Fight Further
-Chocobo costume for Mii Fighters

I'm super curious what this might mean for FFVII and Nintendo now. Will Nintendo finally get its own version of the fabled RPG? Could the Remake be coming to NX as well as PS4?

More importantly, will the eShop crash right away? (Answer: Absolutely)

Also, I'm pretty sure at this point, virtually all bets are off! Unless your game is exclusive to a console manufacturer's company, virtually anyone can get into Smash if you believe hard enough!

Last edited by The Great B-Man on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:05 pm 

That's cool. I know Cloud is like, the huge diva of RPG characters so it's neat to have him on board. That stage looks insane, but amazing!

Though I'm more curious to know what the Smash presentation next month will be.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:13 pm 

Crud, I actually thought it was Isaac until I saw the whole picture.

And so, another classic franchise that debuted on the NES joins the fray, even if the character isn't exactly from the original title.

Well, this took me by surprise. I was thinking Square Enix wasn't even going to show.

But do we get a Moogle outfit for our favorite fabulous forumer's Mii?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:33 pm 

Image This is it, friends! The final video presentation for Super Smash Bros. is coming December 15th! At about 2pm PST that is.

Information on Cloud + more stuff to be shown off here. Let's get ready for one last trip on Mr. Sakurai's Wild Ride!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:19 am 

Shovel Knight.

Calling it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:48 pm 

Image Alright, everything went by a bit fast for me to grasp, but the absolutely final Smash Direct (and, as confirmed in the Direct itself, the last DLC content) has been revealed! Here's what we got:

Information on Cloud: His Limit Break is similar to Little Mac's KO meter, but with some slight adjustments. For starters, you can't actually see it unless you press Down Special, which also slowly builds the Limit along with attacking and taking damage. Once fully charged, all of his Specials become Limits, with heavier hits, farther attacks, etc. Down Special becomes a new attack, Final Touch, which only deals 1% Damage but has massive knockback! Final Smash is Omnislash because of COURSE it is.

Midgar Stage: Has numerous summons that can both affect the stage and hurt other players. Summon Materia will appear and players must grab it in order to summon either Ifrit, Ramuh, Odin, Leviathan, or Behamut ZERO. Summons will not damage the one who summoned them, but everyone else can get hurt and the player who did summon them will get points.

Cloud and Midgar will be available later today.

Final list of Mii Costumes: Chocobo Hat was previously announced and is in. Thanks to having Square-Enix support, Geno from Super Mario RPG finally gets some representation as a Gunner Costume. Other costumes include Bionic Armor, Takamaru, Gil, Ashley, Tails, and Knuckles.

Now, for the big giant ones:

First, the a Newcomer that is actually a Nintendo Character this time:

Corrin from the upcoming Fire Emblem: Fates will be made playable! Corrin is the main protagonist of the game and, like Robin, can be either male or female.
He/She attacks with a blade and also has dragon shapeshifting abilities, which may be a spoiler...
No stage but does get Fates tracks into the game, specifically the main theme which is Lost in Thoughts: All Alone.
Will be available in February.

And finally, the moment you were waiting for...the Smash Ballot winner is:

Bayonetta!!
-1st in Europe
-Top 5 in NA
-1st Overall Worldwide

Bayonetta brings her own sense of style into Smash, with a heavy focus on comboing attacks together. All of her combos can be completed with using her bullets by holding the button instead of pressing it. They have no knockback but deal quick damage as opposed to her melee attacks. Smash attacks use her weaves and her Down Special can activate Witch Time, which slows down anyone she counters. You can choose to wear her new outfit or one based off of her original game.

Also comes with her own stage that is based off the opening scene from the original Bayonetta.

Like Corrin, is also aiming for a February release.

And in case there were any doubts, every fighter announced will get their own amiibo too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:52 pm 

Now I'm really curious to see what the final results of the ballot were.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:03 pm 

Image Main site update with character pages. Check 'em out:

Image Image Image

Have some sweet artwork:

Tetsuya Nomura

Yusuke Kozaki

Eiji Funahashi

Cloud and Bayonetta cost $5.99 each ($6.99 for both consoles) since they come with stages. Corrin costs $4.99 ($5.99 for both consoles).

Since this is the final count, according to Sakurai, we have 58 characters to play as in this game. Quite large, indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:18 pm 

Bayonetta! Oh yes, I voted for her for a reason, WHOO!

Corrin is...cool, I don't know much on him or Fates in general, just that I had plans on getting it after Path of Radiance and Awakening. But Bayonetta, yeah! She should have been in from the start with Bayonetta 2 honestly, but better late than never.

Oh god, the possibilities...the taunts...the smashes (final smash in particular, I wanna know about)....the fan art.........................oh dear lord the fan art.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:22 pm 

FSLAR wrote:

Corrin is...cool, I don't know much on him or Fates in general, just that I had plans on getting it after Path of Radiance and Awakening. But Bayonetta, yeah! She should have been in from the start with Bayonetta 2 honestly, but better late than never.

Oh god, the possibilities...the taunts...the smashes (final smash in particular, I wanna know about)....the fan art.........................oh dear lord the fan art.

Image Should've mentioned the Final Smash. It's Umbran Climax. Everything goes into Witch Time with a Climax Gauge appearing at the bottom. Fill it up and out comes Gomorrah who attacks the other fighters!!

Anyone that's over 100% gets instantly KO'd.

As for taunts, they are deliberately the longest taunts in the game...though you can cancel them at any time.

One last thing, one of her lines in the trailer was "If you need to learn how to talk to a lady, ask your mother." Dunno if that's a taunt, but I thought that was a cute nod to Kamiya, if it was deliberate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:28 pm 

Image Since these are the last characters, I decided to group everyone into franchises (except third parties, who get categorized into companies) and see what got the most rep. Here's what I found, organized from most to least:

Mario - 7
Pokémon - 6
Fire Emblem - 6
Zelda - 5
Kirby - 3
Kid Icarus - 3
Mii - 3
Donkey Kong - 2
Metroid - 2
Star Fox - 2
EarthBound/MOTHER - 2
Sega - 2
Capcom - 2
Yoshi - 1
F-Zero - 1
Game & Watch - 1
Pikmin - 1
WarioWare - 1
Robotic Operating Buddy - 1
Animal Crossing - 1
Wii Fit - 1
Punch-Out!! - 1
Xenoblade Chronicles - 1
Duck Hunt - 1
Namco - 1
Square-Enix - 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:38 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
FSLAR wrote:

Image Should've mentioned the Final Smash. It's Umbran Climax. Everything goes into Witch Time with a Climax Gauge appearing at the bottom. Fill it up and out comes Gomorrah who attacks the other fighters!!

Anyone that's over 100% gets instantly KO'd.

As for taunts, they are deliberately the longest taunts in the game...though you can cancel them at any time.

One last thing, one of her lines in the trailer was "If you need to learn how to talk to a lady, ask your mother." Dunno if that's a taunt, but I thought that was a cute nod to Kamiya, if it was deliberate.
Wondering if there's anything else to her Final Smash, but still, interesting. The taunts...oh my, I kinda love them.

The line was from Bayonetta 2 I believe. I really did love the angel thing with Pit though, it's the little things.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:40 pm 

FSLAR wrote:
Wondering if there's anything else to her Final Smash, but still, interesting. The taunts...oh my, I kinda love them.

The line was from Bayonetta 2 I believe. I really did love the angel thing with Pit though, it's the little things.

Image Was pretty amusing when watching live. I saw Pit and heard the Kid Icarus voice actors talking and thought "Is Sakurai really going to do this? The salt is going to be massive! First Fire Emblem, now Kid Icarus?"

But then Bayonetta shows up and it all added up. It was glorious!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:53 pm 

Image Watched a few specific parts of the direct again, mostly to find music. I didn't see a list for Midgar (though we'll know soon enough) but here's what we got for Umbra Clock Tower:

Let's Hit The Climax!
Theme Of Bayonetta - Mysterious Destiny (Instrumental) (Remix)
Tomorrow is Mine (Bayonetta 2 Theme) (Instrumental) (Remix)
One Of A Kind
Riders Of The Light
Red & Black
After Burner (∞ Climax Mix)
Friendship
Let's Dance, Boys!
The Legend of Aesir
Time For The Climax!

As an aside, when the Geno costume was revealed, they did play Beware the Forest Mushrooms. Gosh, I hope that gets patched in too!

Also, looked up a bit about Corrin since he/she seems super spoilery, but as it turns out, his dragon blood is actually something you learn incredibly early in the game so not a huge deal I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:12 pm 

Image Bundle #5 (aka the Cloud one) is now available for purchase! Go buy it!

Not all Mii Costumes announced are in this. Just the Squeenix ones (Geno and Chocobo hat).

Don't get too excited for Music either. We only get Let the Battles Begin! and Fight On!

Cloud also has no English voice acting. Awfully strange. But he feels really good to play as.

Cloud's victory theme persists on the Results screen and his Congratulations for beating Classic uses a modified version of FFVII's logo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:15 pm 

Dammit, I was hoping J-E-N-O-V-A and One Winged Angel would've made it.

Glad they did the victory music loop, though. Wouldn't expect any less from Sakurai.

Also, Bayonetta. Wow. Even as a ballot winner, I definitely wouldn't have seen that coming.

Now that I have an income, it's a perfect time to get a Wii U and Smash.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:55 am 

The Great B-Man wrote:
FSLAR wrote:

Image Was pretty amusing when watching live. I saw Pit and heard the Kid Icarus voice actors talking and thought "Is Sakurai really going to do this? The salt is going to be massive! First Fire Emblem, now Kid Icarus?"

But then Bayonetta shows up and it all added up. It was glorious!
I can imagine, haha. I do wish I could catch these directs when I wasn't at work or taking an exam...
Shredderman8160 wrote:
Dammit, I was hoping J-E-N-O-V-A and One Winged Angel would've made it.

Glad they did the victory music loop, though. Wouldn't expect any less from Sakurai.

Also, Bayonetta. Wow. Even as a ballot winner, I definitely wouldn't have seen that coming.

Now that I have an income, it's a perfect time to get a Wii U and Smash.
With the holiday season, it is meant to be. Challenge your fate, Kiyoshi!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:08 am 

When I saw the Teen rating I knew Bayonetta was involved.

All these characters look really fun though, even if corrin looks really OP (seriously, the range on that side smash is REDICULOUS). I almost always play characters with aerials so I'd probably love playing Bayonetta, depending on just how "teen" she makes the game.

I'm also very tempted to get the costume pack, because the fact that anything Geno related at all almost feels like something worth commemorating, and I want to play as Blails and Bluckles.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:13 am 

Technically speaking "Mature" is the proper label for Bayonetta.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:47 am 

Damn, have to say, I wasn't expecting either Corrin or Bayonetta. I'm honestly quite excited for Bayonetta especially... but Corrin looks awesome too. Also, I like the arrangement of Tomorrow is Mine that was playing in Bayonetta's trailer quite a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:01 pm 

I guess I might as well give my impressions on the reveal.

Cloud: I already said my bit about him. I was never a big Final Fantasy fan, so I probably won't be buying him. Heck, from what I've played of Golden Sun so far, the game is practically Nintendo's own Final Fantasy. I would have taken Isaac over Cloud any day, and I hope that in the event that a future Smash Bros. doesn't include Cloud, Nintendo will represent Golden Sun instead.

The Limit Breaker ability seems pretty rad, though.

Corrin: Really? Just...really? We already have five characters from Fire Emblem in the roster, and although I have no plans to purchase Roy as he's obviously there to please the Melee fans (of which I am not one), I thought that four characters was already pushing it. Sure, Awakening was huge in that it saved the series from going under, and was popular to the point that it justified giving Smash another spot in the roster, but that was enough. Three was enough. Fire Emblem does not have the prominence to merit more characters than Zelda or even Kirby.

Yes, I know that Corrin is a unique entry in the roster. Yes, he/she turns into a dragon and does awesome things, but right now, I can't care. He/she could turn into freakin' Pepsi Man and I still wouldn't care. You mean to tell me that they passed up a runner-up in the ballot, leaving Bayonetta as the only result of that, for Robin's equivalent in the next Fire Emblem game, a character that no one asked for, and for a series that is over-represented as it is?

No, I won't be buying Corrin.

Bayonetta: I honestly wasn't expecting her to get in, given the--as FSLAR put it--mature nature of the character and her games. ...Well, at least it's another woman, and a strong one at that. I can't say how well she speaks for female representation in video games, given that she's basically Hideki Kamiya's sex fantasy, but it does look like she was (thankfully) toned down for this game. I won't be buying her, but may her inclusion lead to Nintendo's acceptance of more female protagonists in the future.

I'm a cynic.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:31 am 

Gotta admit though, the salt is real with Bayonetta, I'm...amazed honestly. I thought Corrin would cause some, but he seems..unique I guess. My only real problem with the FE inclusions came to Lucina being a clone, they could have done a lot more with her. The amount of FE representation is staggering at this point though, and I wanna see other franchises get that love (Read: Metroid and F-Zero! Especially since I still have a Metroid fix...). I do agree with pikminpulator about Cloud, but I might still buy him for just for the roster.

Though I must say, some of the responses to the salt are fantastic and make me appreciate the little things. I'm still happy about Bayonetta's inclusion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:36 pm 

Even though he's yet another FE character, Corrin does look unique, what with the dragon form moves and all. I think I'll buy him/her just to fill the roster. I'll definitely buy Bayonetta, she looks fun as hell to play. Cloud is definitely going to be my new main, especially now that I've played and enjoyed FF7. Sorry Ike, but your sword's a toothpick now. No English voice and only two songs is a bit of a bummer, though.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:17 am 

Shredderman8160 wrote:
Sorry Ike, but your sword's a toothpick now.

ooh this game, and Mario Kart 8, are gonna take all my money...and possibly Fire Emblem Awakening as well

That said some cosmic entity is probably going to take this as 'oh you don't want Path of Radiance for a good price? Good! No copy for you.'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:12 am 

Image Been some time, but we now have the final release dates for Corrin and Bayonetta (and, I would assume, the last bit of Mii Costumes too) and it's a lot sooner than I expected...

February 3rd, as in this Wednesday!

EDIT: It's out now! And for those who are just getting Smash now, there is also two additional bundles for those who just want the stages or the characters. The Character Bundle costs $34.93 per console ($41.93 for both) and the Stage Bundle costs $8.46 on 3DS, $10.45 on Wii U, and $14.45 on both. Yep, this is definitely the last bit of DLC.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:53 am 

Image Quick, dirty review:

Instantly took a liking to Corrin. His/her moves are incredibly quick and seem to really rack up a ton of damage over time. Really need to do that since I was having trouble with some of the KOs, though maybe it's because I wasn't hitting with the tip. Aerials are phenomenal! Neutral A is pretty fantastic. Recovering is kinda rubbish though, which is a bit ironic since this is a flipping dragon we're talking here! Certainly not the worst, but the jumps just aren't that super great, really. Overall, this character is rising up as one of my favourites.

Bayonetta is incredibly technical and will take a ton to get used to in order to really get good with her. I suppose on one hand, this keeps her very true to how she plays from her games, with perfect timed dodges and heavy combos the way to go. But on the other hand, the way I play Smash is not the way I could play as Bayonetta. She may even be more complex than Ryu, actually! I'll try to earn the trophies with her but that's about all I can muster. I'm sure in the right hands, she's amazing, but I am not the one who's willing to find out.

Umbra Clock Tower is a fantastic stage, though, and really fun to play on. An interesting twist is that any platforms that reach the top of the screen won't make you get KO'd this time, unlike other stages with rising platforms. It's a perfectly legit stage with a pretty great background and virtually zero gimmicks. Nice to have.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 754 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8