Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:17 pm 

This Friday, the 13th. Worms: Reloaded.

Be there, or be square.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:40 pm 

I'm thinking of having the game around 7 pm Central. How does that sound for those interested?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:30 pm 

I would've been cool with that, but I happened to sleep in forever today. WHOOPS.
I'm cool to play whenever, otherwise, though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:16 pm 

Well, that was a bust. At least it gave me an excuse to add everybody to my Steam friends list, though.

We should have another try next Friday, at the same time maybe. Maybe a different game if enough people feel like it. I'm thinking Smash Bros. for Wii U.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:03 am 

Yeah, you invited me when I was in the middle of a DotA match, unfortunately, and then you were offline by the time it was over, which was fair enough, but yes.
Also, I only have Smash 4 for the 3DS, so if we do it on that I can join, but yes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:55 pm 

After watching the TGS Battle Royale, I must say that I've taken quite an interest in Guns of Icarus Online as well. I don't have the means of purchasing it at the moment, but I'd certainly like to play it sometime.

Anyway, I don't have Smash for 3DS, so I'm sticking with the Wii U as my vote. Majority will win, I suppose.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:10 pm 

Image Let's have a look at the numbers then, hmm?

Lessee... According to the Codes and Tags thread, 16 people have registered a 3DS on this site, whereas a mere 6 registered a Nintendo Network ID, and even then, there's no guarantee that every Nintendo Network ID is a Wii U, and even then, there is no guarantee that they even have Smash for Wii U at all.

In short, this would be a bad game for "game night" because it's not really making use of a large group of blokes as I had initially intended and instead just focuses on a small handful. For all we know, you and I might even be the only ones with the ability to play at all!

---------------------------

With that being said, speaking of TGS/Polaris, I would also like to propose some stuff for Tabletop Simulator, if you guys are okay with that sort of thing. There is some legal iffyness to this I feel in the same vein as emulation, but there's honestly no other way I can actually use my board games and at least makes me feel like my money is being used. At the very least, I propose to only host games that I myself own a copy of.

The idea came after watching a run of Battlestar Galactica on the Co-Optional Lounge, which convinced me to buy the game myself in hopes of playing it with family some day (even though I don't think any of us watched the series) and I've seen a few good mods off of Steam Workshop and Nexus Portal. Theoretically speaking, we could even play a version of Apples to Apples where I can actually participate! Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:50 pm 

I know Falcon owns Smash for the Wii U, but that's the only other person I can think of off the top of my head. And yeah, I know a lot of us have Guns of Icarus Online and still haven't ever played it since we've never really gotten together for it, so if you ever do get it, that could certainly be a thing.

And anything in Tabletop Simulator would be really rad, yeah, I'd definitely be down for that, even if it's just us flipping the table the whole time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:58 pm 

Elby wrote:
I know Falcon owns Smash for the Wii U, but that's the only other person I can think of off the top of my head.

me too...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:09 pm 

Mecha wrote:
Elby wrote:
I know Falcon owns Smash for the Wii U, but that's the only other person I can think of off the top of my head.

me too...

Image Certainly fooled me. I legit thought you didn't, since I didn't see your Network ID on there. Though it might just be slow updates again, so whatever.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:16 pm 

I didn't know Mecha had it either, and I don't think I ever stated that I had it on Wii U either...maybe outside of the Christmas thread.

I'm not even sure who else even has a Wii U on this forum

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:14 pm 

I've actually had a match with Azure on Smash for Wii U before, so there's him as well. He hasn't posted his Nintendo Network ID yet despite saying he would, because he's silly like that.

Anyway, maybe the game night could be split, with those who'd rather play on 3DS playing at the designated time while the Wii U'ers do their thing at the same time.

I'm not familiar with Tabletop Simulator at all. I need time to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:02 am 

Pikmanipulator wrote:

Image Can you click things? Can you drag a mouse around? If yes, then you should be fine. The whole point of Tabletop Simulator is exactly in the name: To simulate a tabletop. Heck, it doesn't even have to play games on it, but that's what the majority of mods are for, really (as well as what I imagine are some preinstalled stuff like chess and checkers). Since it uses Steam Workshop as well, modding is as simple as a press of a button.

Sure, there are a couple of extra options, but they're pretty easy to figure out from what I saw. I haven't played it myself, but it looks basic enough for me to understand it.

The only thing you need to familiarize yourself with are the kind of board games that would get suggested.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:26 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
Pikmanipulator wrote:

Image Can you click things? Can you drag a mouse around? If yes, then you should be fine. The whole point of Tabletop Simulator is exactly in the name: To simulate a tabletop. Heck, it doesn't even have to play games on it, but that's what the majority of mods are for, really (as well as what I imagine are some preinstalled stuff like chess and checkers). Since it uses Steam Workshop as well, modding is as simple as a press of a button.

Sure, there are a couple of extra options, but they're pretty easy to figure out from what I saw. I haven't played it myself, but it looks basic enough for me to understand it.

The only thing you need to familiarize yourself with are the kind of board games that would get suggested.

Well, let's save that for next week, then.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:21 pm 

7 pm Central time works for everyone, right?

Also, just to keep things somewhat organized, lists.

for Wii U
Pikmanipulator
McKnackus I

for 3DS
Elby
McKnackus I

Last edited by Pikmanipulator on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:36 pm 

I have both so yep.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:43 pm 

Well, I can only hope everyone had a smashing time on the 3DS. Didn't get anyone on my end.

Next Friday: Tabletop Simulator! Pick your game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:46 pm 

And then I proceed to completely forget about this...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:40 am 

!#%$ I forgot too

and I don't think I added Pikminpulator on Skype...

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:24 am 

*looks at Tabletop Simulator page*
*sees only two people who are active on this site actually own the game*
*sees zero who actually want it*

Image Oh, this is going to be a hard sell, I can tell... Thankfully, it's on sale right now so I can try to squeeze some copies in for those who do want it. At least the mods themselves don't cost anything.

Image Anyway, looking over them, I'm gonna suggest a) things I own, and b) things that are already modded. I have not tested them myself (because I haven't bought a copy for myself yet). What I might do is I'll look through the suggestions myself that everyone else posted and see if they are feasible. In the meantime, for my own list, I propose the following:

-Apples to Apples (works perfectly)
-Battlestar Galactica (vanilla) (works just fine)
-Uno (works perfectly)
-Monopoly (any version really) (I downloaded the Nintendo pack and it works very well)
-Risk (likewise) (a bit too convoluted with tons of loading... may want to set this aside)
-Chess (built into the game already)
-Scrabble (works fine from what I could see)
-Game of Life (not very good at all for the kind of game it is, really, especially since there isn't a 10-sided die implemented into the game; recent patch added spinners but they have not been included in this mod as of yet)

EDIT: Updated after testing the games myself.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:07 am 

I actually do want Tabletop simulator, I just kinda don't want to spend much money right now. Though if it's on sale maybe I can spare the change.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:28 am 

The Great B-Man wrote:
Now, what if most of us pick a game that not everyone actually has a copy of? Well that, my dear close friends, is where I (and maybe some kind volunteers) will come into play: We shall provide it for you! Provided the distribution method of said game is cost efficient enough, I will help supply the game for the competition, but only if you are dead on serious about going through with this!

Image Requoting the very first post seems silly buuuuuut...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:36 am 

Ahh. I guess I didn't think to check the first post since this thread was made over a year ago.

I mean, I have the money to get it... I'm just hesitant to spend much money on games...

...on the other hand I can simply stop eating out so much and make back the money instantly and then some.

Yeah Imma get it.

Edit: got it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:19 am 

I'm perfectly fine with being gifted it if you're once again feeling generous, B.

The tabletop games I have at home include:

Apples to Apples
Scrabble
Clue
Pokemon Master Trainer
Sorry!
Monopoly
Chess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:50 pm 

Ah, yeah, I didn't have Tabletop Simulator on my wishlist simply because, putting multiplayer-focused games on my wishlist seems a bit silly, since I'd only really want them if I'm sure other people are going to have and play them with me, but yes.

That said, I was lucky enough to somehow have $10 laying around, so I just picked it up, so all's good on my end.

As for what games we should play on it, I personally find Scrabble to be the !#%$, but maybe that's just my fascination with grammar and spelling. Clue, Sorry, Apples to Apples, and Uno all seem like they could be a lot of fun, as well. I wouldn't even be opposed to trying Battlestar Galactica, even if I haven't actually seen the show myself. I'm still definitely ready to be a traitorous robotman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next