Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:30 pm 

I'd personally be more inclined toward the Guns of Icarus line, what with me actually having it, Gas Guzzlers no longer being on sale, and the fact I'm personally not big on racing games (I see it's more of a shooty Twisted Metal type of thing but WHATEVER I WANTED ANOTHER EXCUSE), but that's provided we get more than, two people on the boat.

Also, I totally would've been around for the Smash Bros. nonsense, but my online availability the past few days was a bit wonky for, reasons (computer issues and things, should be stabilized now, though). Not that it matters now, but, I felt like mentioning it, and you can't stop me.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:03 pm 

I guess it's settled then. Guns of Icarus Online it is. For either 8 pm or 8:30 pm Central this Friday.

Mecha, Super Penguin M, if you're out there, give us a sign.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:29 pm 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
Only issue is I can't do Friday, but I will be buying the game!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:37 am 

Azure wrote:
Only issue is I can't do Friday, but I will be buying the game!

Is that so? Would it be better if we moved the game night to a different day, then? I will say that this Saturday is a complete no-go for me.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:11 am 

How does Sunday sound to you all?

But yeah, sorry, I have an arrangement that day, in regards to Friday x.x

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:37 pm 

Azure wrote:
How does Sunday sound to you all?

But yeah, sorry, I have an arrangement that day, in regards to Friday x.x

That could work, provided that it conflicts with no one else's schedule.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:24 am 

There's no reason why we can't just have 2 game nights. I'm usually free Sunday afternoon.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:32 am 

Aye, I'll be home after a memorial cookout most likely.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:05 am 

All right, one game night tonight at, say, 8:30 Central, and another game night on Sunday at 8:00 Central. Both presumably Guns of Icarus unless anyone has another suggestion for the second night.

By the way, Azure, I don't think you've posted your Steam tag in the Codes thread.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:59 pm 

Ah right, I'll hop right to it.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:44 pm 

Last night's game night was a failure. Here's hoping the one tomorrow will be more successful.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:24 am 

I should be back by 8 Central.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:16 pm 

Game night had. It didn't go as well as I had hoped for (I was hoping to end it with an online match against other players), but it didn't go terribly, either. Azure showed up and we got to practice against target dummies while waiting for Elby to show up, who did momentarily but then dropped out (I presume due to connection issues). Then Azure and I tried to have a match where we piloted our own AI-crewed ships against each other, but I lost my connection as soon as I tried to turn the wheel.

I guess my hunch was correct when I thought my laptop couldn't handle Guns of Icarus. Oh well. I'm still looking forward to the day when I do get to play for real.

Suggestions for next week?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:53 am 

How about Skullgirls?

I don't have the game myself, but I wouldn't mind a break anyway.

EDIT: FIBBAGE!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:14 pm 

yes please. I should be able to make it this time.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:31 pm 

Why do you keep electing this when you know why you can't play this? FAS...

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:42 pm 

TABLETOP SIMULATOR

APPLES TO APPLES

OR SUPERFIGHT

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:02 pm 

So, let's see the results.

One vote Skullgirls.
Two votes Fibbage. One vote against it.
One vote Apples to Apples.
One vote Superfight.

So. Four-way tie. Since I'm not going to bother trying to download a new mod for Tabletop Simulator this close to game night, I'm going to just get on Apples to Apples tonight at 8 PM Central. Those who want to join can join, those who would rather play Skullgirls or something...play that. Like I said, I wouldn't even mind taking a break. It's a laid-back night tonight.

But c'mon, B-Man, you're at least available on weekends, right...?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:43 pm 

Pikmanipulator wrote:

Image No I'm not actually! I got work to do every weekend! I've noticed a pattern, and when the jobs pile up big time, it is on the weekend. Not to mention, having to deal with graveyard shifts again (

And what is this "one vote against Fibbage" deal? I didn't vote that! I voted "you guys literally cannot play this without me"! As in, to say, you should put that game on the blacklist until someone else can get it going.

Let me reiterate what is required for a proper game form the JackBox Party Pack to work:

-1 copy of the game from somebody
-A streaming service (Twitch and UStream are the popular choices)
-A processor that won't fry up when you try to do this (an i5 model will do, but for the best quality it is recommended you get an i7)
-An Internet upload speed connection that won't lag every other second (I currently have 10Mbps, which is actually not too shabby for streaming)

If you can find someone besides me that can fill in all these requirements, then you can play it. I have nothing against Fibbage itself.

Image I do however have a big problem being put in the spotlight like this!

STOP IT!!!

Image For Arceus's sake, I never even intended this to be a weekly thing... Why are you pushing it like that? In case you have forgotten, I said "a Game Night!" That means singular! This was supposed to be an occasional thing, not an all the time thing!

Because, and I'm sorry if this might come as a surprise, but people have lives. People have jobs. People have family to worry about. People have things to do. We can't just dedicate a day every week to do this thing. We could, however, dedicate a day every once and a while with enough preparation, which believe it or not, was my initial intention of this thread! I never wanted it! Why was it being forced like this? Did you even ask? If you did, then I missed that post.

Let's be frank here, it's hard enough to get people to even post on this entire forum! Do they even see this thread? I have it on good authority that, actually, not that many that you contact with a Skype message saying "Hey, it's game night" do know about it. Leaving the name anonymous, one such person did ask me who the hell you even were when they got that message!

...If this whole thing seems so sudden, it's because, honestly, I've been waiting to say these words for a long time now. But I just was trying to be nice...but I think the Fibbage push has finally got me the nerve to finally call out this hijack of my thread for what it is: A failure! And then you try to guilt trip us when each week comes out with nothing! But as I said before, it was only a week. I was willing to give months when I tried to establish a Worms one, but never got responses.

I got the hint pretty quickly... How about you? Could a game night work? Absolutely, but not if you forcefully shove things down peoples throats.

Because that induces vomiting...

TL;DR Version: Don't make this weekly.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:40 pm 

All right, all right. I get it.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I just wanted to take some initiative in order to encourage some activity and interactivity between everyone, yourself especially. I didn't know you would take it this way.

The "one vote against Fibbage" thing was more of a joke than anything else. I guess I could have made it clearer.

Sorry for pushing you into the spotlight, guilt-tripping everyone, and contacting people for reminders while assuming they already knew of the idea.

I'll stop now.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:11 am 

Well, I can guarantee I won't be available on Friday nights now due to recently taking up World of Warcraft and my guild having raid nights then (as well as Wednesdays), but yes, things.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:08 pm 

Well, now that I've had some time to recover, I think I can answer some of these issues more convincingly.

The Great B-Man wrote:
Pikmanipulator wrote:

Image No I'm not actually! I got work to do every weekend! I've noticed a pattern, and when the jobs pile up big time, it is on the weekend. Not to mention, having to deal with graveyard shifts again (

I didn't know that. Graveyard shifts, I knew, but there'd been no mention of weekends before to my knowledge.

The Great B-Man wrote:
Let me reiterate what is required for a proper game form the JackBox Party Pack to work:

-1 copy of the game from somebody
-A streaming service (Twitch and UStream are the popular choices)
-A processor that won't fry up when you try to do this (an i5 model will do, but for the best quality it is recommended you get an i7)
-An Internet upload speed connection that won't lag every other second (I currently have 10Mbps, which is actually not too shabby for streaming)

If you can find someone besides me that can fill in all these requirements, then you can play it. I have nothing against Fibbage itself.

I knew all of that, I guess was hoping either:
A) You'd have an opening on your hands, which didn't have to be Friday. It wouldn't be the first time we adjusted a game night time.
B) Somebody else who fulfilled the requirements would speak up.

The Great B-Man wrote:
Image I do however have a big problem being put in the spotlight like this!

STOP IT!!!

I didn't mean to put you in the spotlight. I was only wondering if you were free on weekends. But if you feel like you've been inadvertently thrust into the spotlight every time Fibbage has been brought up, then I'm sorry I took part in it.

The Great B-Man wrote:
Image For Arceus's sake, I never even intended this to be a weekly thing... Why are you pushing it like that? In case you have forgotten, I said "a Game Night!" That means singular! This was supposed to be an occasional thing, not an all the time thing!

I figured that the problem with the first game night was that it took too long to come together. If there was a scheduled game night that became routine, I figured it would be a lot easier for people to get in on some playtime. Obviously, not everyone would be able to make it, because as you proceed to mention, people have lives, but I wasn't forcing everyone to participate. People could attend or not attend as they pleased. At least, that was the idea.

Perhaps making it a weekly thing was too much, though at the time I thought it was a generous enough amount of time in between nights for both winding down and preparing for the next one. And of course, the same person didn't have to go to every game night. I think I got more stressed out by this project than anyone else!

The Great B-Man wrote:
Because, and I'm sorry if this might come as a surprise, but people have lives. People have jobs. People have family to worry about. People have things to do. We can't just dedicate a day every week to do this thing. We could, however, dedicate a day every once and a while with enough preparation, which believe it or not, was my initial intention of this thread! I never wanted it! Why was it being forced like this? Did you even ask? If you did, then I missed that post.

I kind of asked here, but FSLAR was the only one to give an answer, which was in the affirmative, so I figured that was good enough.

Still, no effort was made to actually revive this thread, so I decided that if no one else was going to take the initiative (a general problem with this forum as far as I could see), then I would do it myself. You hadn't had a problem with me hijacking your threads in the past, so I thought I was safe. Now I know that's a habit I should break.

The Great B-Man wrote:
Let's be frank here, it's hard enough to get people to even post on this entire forum! Do they even see this thread? I have it on good authority that, actually, not that many that you contact with a Skype message saying "Hey, it's game night" do know about it. Leaving the name anonymous, one such person did ask me who the hell you even were when they got that message!

I'm fairly sure that had to be on Steam, since I can guarantee that everyone I have on Skype from this forum approached me first to add them (maybe with you as the exception), not to mention that I have my username here as my Skype username, so why wouldn't they know who I was? My Steam tag, as Mecha personally pointed out to me, is a lot more unrecognizable.

...I should probably see if I can change it...

But yeah, I took it for granted that most people looked at this thread beforehand, or would look at it once the subject was brought up.

The Great B-Man wrote:
...If this whole thing seems so sudden, it's because, honestly, I've been waiting to say these words for a long time now. But I just was trying to be nice...but I think the Fibbage push has finally got me the nerve to finally call out this hijack of my thread for what it is: A failure! And then you try to guilt trip us when each week comes out with nothing!

Well, I do admit I found it frustrating when something I tried to set up fell through...multiple times... I tried to hide it, but as the failures stacked up, I got less tactful.

I did feel that letting people know how each game night turned out might encourage them to participate, for the right or wrong reasons...which, in hindsight, maybe wasn't the best practice.

I wouldn't call the operation a failure altogether, though. There were a few successes.

The Great B-Man wrote:
But as I said before, it was only a week. I was willing to give months when I tried to establish a Worms one, but never got responses.

I got the hint pretty quickly... How about you? Could a game night work? Absolutely, but not if you forcefully shove things down peoples throats.

Because that induces vomiting...

Gotcha.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:09 pm 

Image Alright, let the dust settle, see how this thread turned out...

Not as broken as I imagined. Alright then. Glad I didn't do to much long term damage with my words, but I think they were things that needed to be said for a long time now.

I don't really have anything else to add, really, other than to take this back, think it over, and maybe cooperatively with everyone else, we come up with a way that makes everyone happy. A weekly thing isn't gonna cut it as it can cause yet another pile of stress to the week of things that happen in life. Other than just a general lack of participation in the thread itself (btw, hi Elby, nice of you to stop by), that's probably why no one ever really showed saved for maybe Azure.

I know for me, when my workload was all over the place (BTW, that's why I never mentioned always working weekends until now; This is actually a very recent thing where I have a clear vision of what days I work and what I don't now, which is also better for my health, I feel. Before, work was all over the week), all I ever wanted to do on my days off was just sleep and maybe pull out my 3DS or iOS device for some PAD.

Let's take a long break from this and look back into in the future. I know this can work. But we need to approach from the proper angle, not rush headlong into it.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:45 pm 

I wanna clarify one thing. I said a game night would be nice...but I never agreed that a weekly game night would be good. I honestly wondered where it suddenly became weekly, cause I did not sign up for that or see where it became weekly. I wondered if it was a thing agreed on Skype or somewhere else that I missed. I didn't think my one post would count for the whole forum >.>

That said...I do feel for B a bit, at least with how he explained things. I don't have anything against Pikminpulator for what you tried, except maybe the methods taken but whatever. I have been curious as to hearing about what's been going on with B as well, cause you haven't been that active, so this is actually nice to know. But B still has some valid points. I guess some other time this could work but with how dead the forum really is, it's probably not really worth it. I really do think the forum has slowly been dying since 2008 when we first started losing members for good, and it slowly continued to the point of today where people are barely active.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:27 pm 

FSLAR wrote:
I wanna clarify one thing. I said a game night would be nice...but I never agreed that a weekly game night would be good. I honestly wondered where it suddenly became weekly, cause I did not sign up for that or see where it became weekly. I wondered if it was a thing agreed on Skype or somewhere else that I missed. I didn't think my one post would count for the whole forum >.>

There was no formal agreement to it becoming a weekly thing. After the first game night fell through, I tried again for the following week, and after that, I thought, well, why not make it a weekly thing? It would give more people more opportunities to participate, after all! There was no requirement that everyone had attend every game night, they could just attend whenever there was a game scheduled that they felt like participating in and that they had time for. Honestly, I saw nothing but benefits from the system, except for the strain it would probably put on me trying to keep it going.

As for your one post counting for the whole forum, bear in mind that this forum has over 40 members, but out of them, only around 8 were active at the time, if even that many. Was I supposed to interpret every non-response from every active member as a "no"? Maybe it didn't help that I asked in a thread that wasn't dedicated to the subject, and looking back at this thread, my first post that revived the thread was basically going through with the idea as if it was a given. (Though I distinctly remember being that assertive on purpose in order to actually make the thing happen, as I was frustrated with the first attempt's failure.) So yeah, that would be my bad.

[/late reply is late]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next