Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:11 pm 

Image I said I'd do it, and now here it is.

I'm gonna attempt to speed run as many levels of Super Mario 3D World as I can. The results of my endeavors shall be posted on this thread, hopefully, on a daily basis.

I certainly hope you will find some fascination in these attempts.

Not much else to say other than...enjoy!!

Last edited by The Great B-Man on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:53 am 

Image Time to tackle 1-2 in 64 seconds.

It's tradition to make the second level underground. Always.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:16 pm 

this looks almost exactly like mario 3D land on the 3DS. like, eerily similar.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:06 pm 

Oh hey, I didn't notice this thread.

I've actually been wanting to watch a play through of this game so I'll try and keep up with this.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:04 am 

Image Just a reminder that I am recording my own speed runs here and it isn't a playthrough that really shows the full potential of the game.

But, I was mulling it over a bit, since Raxy was curious for a play through and wanted to ask you guys: Would you rather I do an actual legit 100% walkthrough of it instead, just to get a better grasp of what the game has to offer?

I intended to do another run of it anyway as soon as I got the last two stamps on my main file (they require you to play as all of the characters to get the last few stamps, and I have a few already), so it wouldn't be any skin off my back (I really like this game, actually), so if you'd rather watch that, lemme know and I can put the speedy one on hold for a more legit one.

In the mean time...here's a 55 second run of 1-3!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:45 pm 

I'd certainly be interested in watching an actual playthrough. It would also help give more context to what your doing in the speedrun.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:20 am 

Image After a whopping 1 person expressed interest, I decided to go ahead and change this up into a full playthrough so you all can get a better grasp of what the game can offer.

Everything collectable will be collected here so I can show everything to you guys. Maybe in the future, you can even use this as a guide. Would make me happy.

PS. Did you catch that moment in the opening?

ACTUAL PLUMBING!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:52 pm 

I'm sorry B. D: I don't watch LPs of games I'm really excited for and will be getting in the future because I want to experience it as I'm playing it. Kinda spoils the surprise and awe if I've already seen how to play the game before I play it. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:58 pm 

So Bowser is basically Link, then? Putting fairies into bottles?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:02 am 

McKnackus I wrote:
I'm sorry B. D: I don't watch LPs of games I'm really excited for and will be getting in the future because I want to experience it as I'm playing it. Kinda spoils the surprise and awe if I've already seen how to play the game before I play it. :cry:

Image Firstly, this isn't an LP. That usually involves some form of commentary, which is not present here. I'm just doing a video walkthrough of the whole thing, showing where everything required for 100% is.

Secondly, I understand your reasoning for staying away for I do the same thing myself. That being said, I hope this can prove useful in the future if you need some help getting everything in the game. Hope to see you again soon!

Raxy wrote:
So Bowser is basically Link, then? Putting fairies into bottles?

Image Considering how often Bowser is defeated, it's not unusual for him to want to pick up some "health insurance."

Next video is currently being edited. It's my first time actually putting different parts of a video together using Vegas Pro so I hope things go smoothly. The reasoning is because there were things in the next level I couldn't show in a single run so I had to do separate runs for it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:32 am 

Image There is one jump cut here I missed and I apologize for that, but otherwise it turned out okay.

I showcase some Toad action. He's the fastest character in the game (hence why I was using him for speed runs) but his jumping is atrocious. Master him, though, and you will be the fastest player in the game.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:44 pm 

So this game uses the character based system from Super Mario Bros 2? Peach being able to float, Toad's speed, Mario being balanced and Luigi...not sure what he has. That is really cool though, honestly.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:50 am 

FSLAR wrote:
So this game uses the character based system from Super Mario Bros 2? Peach being able to float, Toad's speed, Mario being balanced and Luigi...not sure what he has. That is really cool though, honestly.

Image Exactly. Mario is the balanced one. Luigi can jump high with a slow decent, but has poor traction. Toad is really fast but has a poor jump. And Peach can float, but is really slow.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:45 am 

Image We should now be caught up to the speed run with this vid. It's a twofer due to the shortness of the fight levels.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:32 am 

Image Time to introduce you guys to Plessie. You'll be seeing this dino a couple more times during the course of the game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:10 pm 

I love the return of Pow Blocks. Also, the raising stone pillar was pretty neat.

Also, loving this soundtrack.

The Plessie level was pretty cool, although kinda static. It had this cool sort of race feeling, but that might just be the music.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:49 pm 

Raxy wrote:
I love the return of Pow Blocks. Also, the raising stone pillar was pretty neat.

Also, loving this soundtrack.

The Plessie level was pretty cool, although kinda static. It had this cool sort of race feeling, but that might just be the music.

Image There are a lot of neat mechanics throughout the game, both new and old. It really keeps the game fresh to me and feels like that ultimate Mario homage I always expected NSMB to be when it first came out on DS.

Soundtrack, in my opinion, is probably right on par with the Galaxy games. They are different in style but similar in quality. Some of my favourites include the ghost house and castle, which should be coming up in a few vids. Needless to say, I will be importing that soundtrack CD that Japanese Club Nintendo users are getting ASAP. (Seriously, NOA, why do we not get cool stuff like this?)

As for the quality of 1-4, I think that was actually my fault. When I first uploaded, I noticed a big mistake and hastily edited it but it didn't render correctly, and I apologize for that. I should have paid more attention.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:05 pm 

I didn't mean the quality was static, I meant the content of the level and level design was static.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:19 am 

Image It's off to the circus now where we play a game of "turn every tile from blue to yellow!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:16 am 

Image It's Captain Toad's time to shine! He can't jump so his levels are more focused on puzzle solving than platforming.

I thought these really really fun and would love to see a stand-alone eShop version some day. Preferably on 3DS.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:41 pm 

I really liked the circus themed level and the music for that was really good too.

The toad levels look fun also. I really like the puzzle aspect of it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:48 pm 

Image One thing I failed to mention though you probably noticed about the circus level's music was that it actually changed as you progressed further in the stage. It was a really nice touch to show your progress that I don't believe any other level does in the game.

Speaking of music, one of my favourite tracks in the game will be popping up in the next video. Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:52 am 

Image Let us finish off the first world and rescue the first Sprixie Princess from Bowser!

All while listening to some fantastic music!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:46 pm 

BOWSER CAR

GUYS

BOWSER CAR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:08 am 

Image Let's head out into the desert world now! Though you'll find yourself quite surprised by the "themes" of these worlds in the coming videos.

Also, I'm not gonna show world maps for the most part now save for specific instances (like specific secrets I wanna show off). One I didn't show in World 1 was actually a Toad House hidden behind 1-4.