Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:06 pm 

Image Video games... That's a thing we all enjoy to some extent, no? I'd like to think so.

Anyway, since I seem to be not doing another daily thing this year, I'd thought I'd set my mind towards bigger, better, and brighter things. Specifically, some game competition.

Here's the thing I've noticed: I would really like to do some gaming runs with some of you, if not all of you, but I always find that either the time frame for play time isn't aligned with my own schedule, or the playerbase is too narrow amongst our circle that it can get boring with the same people over and over again.

So here's what I propose: We try again at a gaming tournament. I know Falcon tried it once before with Super Smash Bros. Brawl but it didn't really work out (not his fault, it was Ninty's terrible netcode there) but I feel it deserves a second chance. We shall all decide what game should be played and decide times for when our matches happen.

Now, what if most of us pick a game that not everyone actually has a copy of? Well that, my dear close friends, is where I (and maybe some kind volunteers) will come into play: We shall provide it for you! Provided the distribution method of said game is cost efficient enough, I will help supply the game for the competition, but only if you are dead on serious about going through with this!

I'll let you soak it all in for now. In the mean time, feel free to list any suggestions you'd like to try out and we can vote on it later.

Standard Competition
(Basic sort of gameplay here. They could be 1-v-1, Free-For-All, whatever so long as it's every person for themselves)

Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition
Chivalry's Duel Mode
Pokémon
Quake Live
Skullgirls
Street Fighter IV
Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Worms

Team-Based Competition
(Games that require actual teamwork. That alone is an achievement on itself, but the harder part is getting enough people to make a worthy tournament happen, but it's possible)

Awesomenauts
Dota 2
Guns of Icarus Online
Team Fortress 2

Classic Game Race
(The entire premise of this was based entirely on this fabulous run and I thought we might have some fun with it too. Not a real tournament, per se, but a simple competition regardless, although much harder to track a winner/loser here.
No need to write a list as just about anything could work.)

Co-op Gaming
(Games that involve working together with others as opposed to fighting against each other.)
Starbound
Torchlight 2

Last edited by The Great B-Man on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:09 am 

Can we play Brawl now? Wouldn't we have to have everyone on our Wii friends list or would WiiU friend codes work?

Also, I'm going to add Pokemon onto the suggestions list. Preferably sixth gen, but fifth gen is fine too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:36 am 

I think my Wii refused to go online with Brawl the last time I tried it, but yes.

Aside from that, Blood Bowl, Chivalry, Worms (... I don't think Armageddon is the one I have, Reloaded I think it is, but, WHATEVS YO), Awesomenauts, DotA 2, and Team Fortress 2 are all things I can do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:25 am 

I'd be down with this. Still need my actual copy of Pokemon X from my parents though...but I can do Brawl

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:09 am 

I don't actually own brawl anymore.

I'm cool with p much any of those game except for DOTA 2.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:20 pm 

Image Oh phooie, are we really in a state where only half of us actually have a working Brawl now? (For the record, my online wasn't working either until I upgraded to a Wii U. Actually, that was one of the reasons I picked one up...) Guess a Smash tourney will have to wait until later this year for 4...assuming we get enough 3DS/Wii U adopters here. While I did say I intend to provide for those who don't have specific games, I am not spending $300+ each for everyone without the console!

Image In regards to Pokémon, while I would certainly enjoy playing around with you guys, there is a major flaw in that the game requires several hours of preparation (I'm nearly 100 in and still not fully ready yet and I won't be until Pokémon Bank finally gets released) and doesn't really offer that pick-up-and-play mentality that I'd like to focus on. I want to get as many people involved as possible and not just the dedicated, like Penguin, FSLAR, and myself. That being said, if enough people are truly interested, we could make use of Pokémon Showdown or similar fan products. (Note: I am unfamiliar with the program so if it isn't possible for it to be exclusive to us, disregard)

This also leads into something else I wanna mention: Versions of games. Elby mentioned having Worms Reloaded but not Armageddon. While I feel the latter is far superior, it would be easier on the support costs if we go to Reloaded and I have no qualms with that. Similar arguments can be made for games like Street Fighter, Blood Bowl, etc.

Anyway, keep on debating in the free world for what it is you guys most want to see most.
I vote Blood Bowl due to its league building and dice screw overs...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:27 pm 

Yeah I've only got Reloaded too.

I don't own any Street Fighter games, so whichever version works for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:16 pm 

Blood Bowl could work I guess. never played it once so iunno. Just be the bad one out then. Hoorah. Transformed also works, and technically Skullgirls but I don't think enough people play it so EH.

Any of the team based games works for me. I'll totally suggest Dota 2 just because it's be funny A powerful learning experience. Yes not biased at all.

Also I'd totally be done with doing a classic game race.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:17 pm 

This sounds like fun, but I think Brawl and Pokemon are the only things I have that I could participate in. I guess Brawl would be my vote, although I'd have to actually get my Wii Friend Code set up and stuff.

I am wondering if it's possible to play Pokemon Battle Revolution online with rental teams... That would be an easy pick-up-and-play.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm 

That can probably work for PBR, Pikminpulator. i do believe we could use the older Pokemon generations due to how X and Y don't have all Pokemon available and how I dont' think everyone has a copy or 3DS. Plus older generations work differently and all.

I think for some of these we may need some rules, though. Not like the standard Smash and Pokemon rules but something to make sure everyone is happy.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:11 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
Now, what if most of us pick a game that not everyone actually has a copy of? Well that, my dear close friends, is where I (and maybe some kind volunteers) will come into play: We shall provide it for you! Provided the distribution method of said game is cost efficient enough, I will help supply the game for the competition, but only if you are dead on serious about going through with this!

Image Highlighting this because I think a few people here missed that part.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:19 pm 

So you're actually going to mail us the game we decide on if we don't have it?

Well...not to burst bubbles or anything, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with giving out my house--oh, screw it, I'm up for it anyway. Whichever game you guys decide on is fine with me. Just know that I only have Nintendo consoles and a PC.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:53 pm 

I think he was more referring to cheapish Steam games like Skullgirls, Blood Bowl, and Worms.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:02 pm 

Elby wrote:
I think he was more referring to cheapish Steam games like Skullgirls, Blood Bowl, and Worms.
Yeah, especially because there is shipping and possibly taxes to pay, making it a lot worse.

Though since some multiplayer games are downloadable on consoles, in theory, someone could get the DL codes from stores like GameStop. I think above all else we need to check for demos of some of these to prevent loss of funds.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:46 pm 

Image Yeah, what Elby said... Unless we are talking stupid cheap games, I'm not going to actually mail anything. I was mostly referring to sites like Steam or GMG and the like. Easy and cheap distribution. (Classic game runs I brought up because there is a method while, I certainly don't agree to, is at least feasible... Heck, that Battletoads race even outright states for at least most of them that it isn't on their NES)

As for the "how-to"s and demos, not every game is gonna have one, so I will gladly take it upon myself to teach anyone willing to learn, be it through text or, if I'm feeling brave enough, a YouTube video.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:32 pm 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
Oooh, I like this idea, I'd join a Super or Ultra Street Fighter IV tournament for sure. I'd need to practice again but hell yes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:56 am 

I wouldn't mind older gen Pokémon, though PBR might be an issue for me, since I have no blank DVDs or spare flash drives...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:13 pm 

DoM wrote:
I wouldn't mind older gen Pokémon, though PBR might be an issue for me, since I have no blank DVDs or spare flash drives...
I'm not sure who on here has PBR. I think Kiyoshi and B-Man might, I know I don't. Doesn't PBR have some weird connection issues to Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver?

Azure wrote:
Oooh, I like this idea, I'd join a Super or Ultra Street Fighter IV tournament for sure. I'd need to practice again but hell yes.
AND YOU WOULD JOIN BRAWL which would be glorious

pls

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:14 pm 

FSLAR wrote:
Doesn't PBR have some weird connection issues to Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver?

Yeah, in that it doesn't work with Pt/HG/SS at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:22 pm 

Nope, don't have PBR. Even if I did, I don't have Diamond or Pearl to connect with it. Sorry guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:03 pm 

I swore you had it Kiyoshi, along with Diamond and Pearl. Though I'm guessing you gave that to your sister.

Either way I don't see much interest in the game from the forum so doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:48 pm 

I didn't. I just downright lost my copy of Diamond. All I have from 4th gen is Platinum and HeartGold.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:31 pm 

Ah yes, Steam. One of the things I have yet to experience for myself. I suppose I could finally look into that.

Also, concerning PBR, I have it, and also my suggestion concerning it was to utilize rental teams, since obviously uploading data from the handheld games would be delving into that preparation thing that B-Man said he wanted to avoid for this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:26 pm 

FSLAR wrote:
Either way I don't see much interest in the game from the forum so doesn't matter.

Image It's not just that... I'm not seeing a universal interest in...anything really. Either it's all over the place what some people want (someone wants DOTA, someone wants Pokémon, someone wants Street Fighter) or everyone else says "I'm cool with whatever" and not really helping us deduce what would be the ideal game.

Maybe I should just post the list and ask everyone to say "Yay" or "Nay" to each game and whatever has the best Yay/Nay ratio is the pick...

Because just going "Let's do [x]" doesn't help anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:40 pm 

That seems like a reasonable way to do things.

And because I can, going over the ones people suggested, DotA 2 would certainly be nonsense that I'd be cool with, although I'm not particularly interested in Pokemon. Street Fighter could be a thing, but it's a bit pricey for this, considering how many copies would need to be bought, I'd think. I'd be more inclined to go with Skullgirls, or even moreso, Divekick. The latter would certainly be pretty great for this sort of thing, I think.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next