Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gaming Status
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:22 pm 

Tried out Fallout 3 for a few days, and I have mixed feelings about it.

Basically, I'll have some fun with it for an hour or two, then the game just goes out of its way to give me a bad time, whether it's putting me in situations I can do very little about, or just the game freezing and !#%$ up in general. Case in point, I'm at a quest right now where I have allies helping me fight...except they stop fighting near the beginning of the area, and there's way too many enemies ahead for me to do it alone, and if I die, the game loads forever into eternity, and I have to restart my PS3 to do it again. This has happened twice in a row.

Maybe this would have performed way better on PC than a console. Either way, after the experiences I've had, I just can't get excited for Fallout 4 like almost everyone else is. Bethesda games just aren't for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:05 am 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
Well, been playing Ikaruga again... and I have to say, I think it's still the hardest Bullet Hell I've ever played, even with the polarity system that absorbs bullets.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:54 pm 

Image Fell into a bit of a Phantasy Star mood again, as I do every once in a while, and scoured the Internet for whatever I could find. Turns out the Phantasy Star Complete Collection was released on the PSN store as a PS2 classic in Japan. At first, I just figured it was a neat thing...

...and then I found out this can actually be played in English! I decided to head on over and grab it then and there. At just a little over ¥800, (which is about $8.25 CDN), it seemed like a heck of a deal.

I didn't realize just how great a deal it was until I fired it up! There are galleries for each individual title, several different system settings (the first game, for example, can be played on the Mark III or the SMS, which does affect the language, but they have different sound files), sound tests, even various different display settings for different resolutions (which, sadly, doesn't seem to work on PS3 so I'm stuck with 480i). It even comes with the oft forgotten about Gaiden and Text Adventures (sadly, these are JPN language only). A completely worthwhile collection for Phans out there!

As it turns out, this was done by M2, which is also responsible for the 3D Classics that have been published by SEGA. They have generally been seen as being very good ports. If there was a 3D Classic for the original Phantasy Star, I'd be all over that, if only for the dungeons!

As an aside, I saw that both Generation 1 and Generation 2 could also be downloaded, so that's an idea for those with a translation guide, though I'll just stick with the fan translation for the time being. I still have a hard copy of Generation 1 that I keep close anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:09 am 

Just beat Ori and the Blind Forest. I thought 100% first try, but alas, I guess when the map tells you you've 100%'d an area it just meant in exploration, not completely, because I ended up short one blue orb.

Still a fantastic game. Everything about it is phenomonal, except one dungeon with confusing gravity mechanics that screws with your controls and the fact that an incredibly useful late game move goes completely unexplained. But considering the fact that the game looks, sounds, plays, and feels beautiful I'd say it's near perfect.

I'll give it some time for me to somewhat forget the levels before I have another go. I was already incredibly meticulous in my first run because I didn't want to miss anything. I have no idea where that blue orb is, especially since they were supposed to be highlighted on the map.

Although I did notice a map block in the final dungeon where I couldn't find the map peice. I didn't think it was important cus I explored everything anyway, but egh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:09 pm 

I'm thinking about getting the Wii U game Cube Life: Island Survival, since I don't have Minecraft, haven't put any effort into getting Minecraft, and probably wouldn't spend much time on Minecraft aside from using it to hang out with you guys. Still, aside from its community always popping up on my Home menu, I've heard next to nothing about the game. Any thoughts or advice from you all?

EDIT: OK, so, looking it up, it doesn't have any multiplayer of any sort right now, although it's a planned update. Still, I think it would be worth getting for someone who doesn't have Minecraft anywhere else, like me. It's only $7, so it doesn't seem like a big deal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:10 pm 

Image So, my newest GPU came with a code for MGSV...but I doubt I'll actually play it. Not sure what to do with it...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:47 pm 

The Great B-Man wrote:
Image So, my newest GPU came with a code for MGSV...but I doubt I'll actually play it. Not sure what to do with it...

YO

i know some streamers who would be interested in playing it if no one here wants the code

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:36 am 

Image One reply...?

Just...one?!

I thought for sure there'd at least somebody in my circle of friends that was interested. I even went to Skype and the main group was very adamant, basically saying I should just install it just in case.

Does everyone who want this game already have it preordered?

I'd say it's because nobody posts here anymore, but again, Skype! Nothin'!

This was supposed to be a good bargaining chip too...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:25 am 

Hnnn METAL GEAR I'll take it if you still have it I was at work forever I couldn't reply sooner.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:48 am 

I'd snap this up in a second if I didn't already have it preordered and paid off.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

I'd rather get MGS5 when I've already played the other games. It's always been one of those "eternally on the backlog" sort of game series.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:54 pm 

Image Okay um...

I messed up...game is now in my Steam library. I misread the e-mail, thinking I was supposed to enter a code to redeem a code...

Sorry about that guys.

Image Boy, I have never seen anyone get this salty over getting a free, thus far critically acclaimed video game...

"Oh no! I have a game that's getting 9s and 10s across the board! Woe is me!"

--------------------------------------------------

Image On a more colourful note, Runbow! Been playing that a bit. It's pretty great, really, though it could use a little more ironing out. Multiplayer's where it is at though so I hope I can play this with friends soon (it is Online).

But I'm not really here to talk about the game. Instead, I wanted to share this from the credits:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:50 pm 

Well, my Wii's disc laser has been getting dusty after all these years, and now it's having trouble reading discs.

Tried Metroid Prime, Brawl, and Pac-Man World 2 and couldn't even get to their title screens. Tried Melee and I was able to play a couple of matches until it couldn't read any more data. I had the most success with Punch-Out Wii. I got up to Title Defense Soda Popinski before it blacked out.

Not sure what to do about it. Should I send it in for repair, or would some sort of cleaning kit suffice?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:28 pm 

Maybe see about repair. Do you have one of the first edition Wiis? The white ones that came out in 2006. I heard those have the most problems with discs after some time.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:31 pm 

I believe so. I remember getting it when I was 11 or 12, so that's around 2006. I'd imagine repair's safer, but if a cleaning kits enough, that'd save more money.

And now I realize I've had a Wii for nine years. What the !#%$.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:38 pm 

Yeah that could be it. I know the most common problem was the disc reader getting faulty due to dual layered discs, especially cause of Brawl. My original Wii actually shorted out...though my parents did something kinda stupid with it, and used it in a faulty socket with an NTSC-to-PAL converter in India. We got the red model sometime after and it has had no problems. It actually fell off my shelf while reading Skyward Sword, and nothing happened!

Time sure does fly, I've had mine for only almost 5 years.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:47 pm 

I guess repairs my best bet, then, if the first edition is that unstable.

If it's able to survive that, perhaps a bubble wrapped package won't be necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:15 pm 

It surprises me, the GameCube could survive just about anything...maybe not a gulf war like the Game Boy, but still. So why the Wii, the first edition at least, had problems like this, I don't know.

Hell, I remember how a few games had specific issues. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword with corrupt save features, Other M with that one door...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:34 pm 

Image Indie Smash Bros. is here!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:13 pm 

I finally got my laptop replaced...and hoo boy do I see a difference! I was actually able to play Guns of Icarus Online without a choppy frame rate, and I was even able to play online without crashing! Yes, I actually played my first few matches online. I was lucky enough to meet a group of nice blokes who were looking for an engineer, a role I filled in quite nicely if I do say so myself.

I'm sure I'm a lot more capable of playing games with the rest of you guys now. Maybe I'll even give DotA 2 another chance...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:46 am 

As expected of me, I've been playing Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. It's an excellent stealth game, and among the best MGS games in gameplay. Jury is still out whether I like the story as much or not, although I am liking the writing overall.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:43 am 

Azure wrote:
I've been playing Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Someone's sassy right now.

I'd probably be playing MGSV right now if I had played MGS3 or PW. I may end up doing so just so I can play it. I always wanted to play MGS3, but me and my bad habits tend to not get to the series I should play.

At the moment, though, Yokuba and I are playing a bit of Battleblock Theater on and off. It's good, and Stamper is a gift from heaven.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:50 am 

Image I'm just havin' some fun. You all know this. I mean, if there's anything Azure is about, it's Metal Gear. And fighting games.

Image But I digress. Unrelated, I'm giving Axiom Verge another shot. Something isn't quite clicking with me though. It's possible that maybe I'm just kinda burnt out by Metroidvanias?

Could also be because the flickering on the screen is giving me a headache, but in a clever twist, these glitches are intentional! Once I got the Hack upgrade, it completely changed the game for me, being able to glitch and un-glitch objects and enemies in the game created some rather clever puzzles. It's very much like how getting Fling in Ori completely changed that game too. Too bad I was starting to feel a bit under the weather from doing it so much, though.

I think the game is fine, but it might be a bit too intense with its graphics. But that's probably just me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:42 am 

Falcon6 wrote:
Someone's sassy right now.

I'd probably be playing MGSV right now if I had played MGS3 or PW. I may end up doing so just so I can play it. I always wanted to play MGS3, but me and my bad habits tend to not get to the series I should play.

At the moment, though, Yokuba and I are playing a bit of Battleblock Theater on and off. It's good, and Stamper is a gift from heaven.
That's his secret: he's always sassy.

I'd be playing it too, if I didn't get Batman: Arkham Knight and thoroughly loving it. Besides the rather over-saturation of the bat-mobile. For MGS 3 and PW, 3 is awesome, my favorite in the series. Re-playing that in HD as well. PW...uhh....well, it plays fine, but the story...there's a lot I personally despise. My list of games to play accumulated a lot over the summer due to deals and friends helping, with the ones recently being the recent Kirby games (plus the Dream Collection), Donkey Country Tropical Freeze, and Wario Land: Shake It!
The Great B-Man wrote:

The Great B-Man wrote:
Image I'm just havin' some fun. You all know this. I mean, if there's anything Azure is about, it's Metal Gear. And fighting games.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next