Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gaming Status
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:40 am 

Image It's been brought to my attention, from various different sources, that this fan remake of Metroid II has actually launched! I distinctly remember this one popping up and giving us a demo around 2009 but didn't really think much of it until, just in time for Metroid's 30th Anniversary, news broke out that the game is finished and ready to play for anyone!

You can download it right here!

I've already played about an hour in and just met up with my first Gamma Metroid. Having gone through the original Game Boy version already, there was stuff I remembered, but plenty of surprises as well, such as new boss battles and other such surprises (like a Metroid jump scaring me in a seemingly innocent hallway). Not to mention the AI of the Metroids is very clever while still retaining much of their same original behavior.

Gonna be playing more for sure.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:28 am 

This would be great for Nintendo to do, to go alongside Zero Mission. It'd be enough for Metroid's 30th Anniversary actually, or a good sign.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:59 pm 

Image I recall reading that they initially planned to remake in on the GBC ala Link's Awakening, but it obviously never got too far. A shame, really. I think Metroid II had some neat ideas but didn't really feel that "Metroid-y" with a real lack of exploration involved. To be fair, the original game was back when the series was still trying to find itself before perfecting the formula with Super.

Nevertheless, this would've been really neat to see released officially. But I'll take what I can get, and at least really dedicated fans are willing to provide what has, so far, been an absolutely excellent remake. Progress says I have about 20 Metroids to go with over 70% completion in 3 hours (so if the game gives endings based on times like before, I've pretty much screwed up getting anything beyond the bog standard ending).

I also need to applaud them for including this room with a Power Bomb Expansion:

Nice little call forward.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:23 pm 

I just saw GameXplain's video on it and knew it would be something you guys would be interested in.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:07 pm 

Just a forewarning, Nintendo's already caught on and seems to be trying to take down the fan remake. Better download it fast!

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:21 am 

FSLAR wrote:
Just a forewarning, Nintendo's already caught on and seems to be trying to take down the fan remake. Better download it fast!

Image Hold on to your hats. There are now claims that these are fake DMCA claims, much like that stint with Tumblr fanart getting claimed. MDb is looking into this tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:47 am 

The Great B-Man wrote:
FSLAR wrote:

Image Hold on to your hats. There are now claims that these are fake DMCA claims, much like that stint with Tumblr fanart getting claimed. MDb is looking into this tomorrow.
Possibly. But regardless, it shouldn't be that long till nintendo notices at minimum. Hopefully they take note and try to do their own remake.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:51 am 

Image And done. Time was 4:30 with 92%, so for a first time through what was basically a new Metroid title, that went very well. A few thoughts:

-Composition was fantastic all around, though Hydro Station was easily the highlight, personally. It's nice that they didn't just remix songs purely from Metroid II since there wasn't much variety when going to different sectors.
-On Normal, it was definitely challenging, but never to the point of being frustrating. Closest I came to death (not including the part where the Power Cell in the Tower blows up since that's scripted) was my first Zeta fight and that was because I was trying to learn its patterns (Zetas from that point on didn't get me even close to the first one, heck even the Omegas didn't pose much of a challenge, surprisngly).
-I appreciate the smarter AI of the Metroids overall. Made their battles a lot more intense. Their sprite work was top notch too (they even made Omega custom, despite Fusion handing them a perfectly fine one).
-The boss fights were all a nice surprise, with some better than others. I didn't really like the ones that handed out nearly impossible to dodge projectiles though
-I love all the little nods to other games, such as finding the area where Samus would get infected by the X, and a few boss fights were definitely inspired by the other games.
-The later part of the game, where you need to fight nothing but 3 more Omegas before reaching the final part, felt kind of dull. To be fair, it wasn't exactly exciting in the original version as well, but considering how much everything else was improved, I wish there was more than a simple long corridor with the occasional branched off path to face an Omega. No more pick ups at that point from what I could see.
-The final boss wasn't really hard, but it definitely felt more fun than the original when you could just cheese it if you knew the trick (though the fight ends exactly how you'd expect it).

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and am glad to have played it. Haven't had a 2D Metroid since 2004 so it was nice to get something fresh like this. Kudos to the fans for this one!

And now, a few final screens (some spoilers for those who wanna be surprised):

Spoiler: click to show
It's Serris before the X infected it! Now in its natural habitat. Water wasn't actually in Metroid II, but Fusion implied there was, so now we get to see how Serris thrives.

The Queen herself. This is what all of Metroid II led up to, and the remake is no different. Fight itself is pretty different though, but a lot of fun.

...Though the outcome is probably what you'd expect. Reminds me of what Crocomire ends up looking like.

And there's the Hatchling, the one Metroid Samus couldn't kill. It'll help you get out back to your ship, just like in the original.

/salute

Pretty cute artwork, all things considered, I wonder if this is the 3+ hours one...? Assuming there are multiples. As an aside, one nice little touch is that once you beat the game, the sky on the surface of SR388 changes from a daytime setting to night, so this mission took her all day to do.

...And thus, begins Super Metroid...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:38 am 

After putting them off for so long, I've decided to go back to Super Mystery Dungeon and Xenoblade X, and will push myself to finish them.

I promise not to get distracted by Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma this time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:53 pm 

Image Been replaying Ace Attorney so I can refresh my memory when I get down to trying out Spirit of Justice (...and Apollo Justice...and Dual Destinies...) and I just realized something...

The first game takes place this year! The proof is in the DL-6 file, since that case was in 2001!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:29 pm 

Nioh is brutal!

But also fun.

Mostly brutal, though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:19 am 

Image Trying out Seasons after Fall, a game released just yesterday on PC. Puzzle platformer, though this one has a very pretty watercolor-like art style.

You play a fox (or rather, a "Seed" possessing a fox) as you run around the Forest gaining the power to change the seasons and to solve just what is wrong with it. I've hit the point where I got all four seasons now and there seems to be quite a bit of mystery behind all of this that I'm eager to find out. Think of it as kinda like Oracle of Seasons minus the Zelda bits.

It's a very tranquil game. No enemies or danger. Just you, a fox, and your wits.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:57 pm 

Recently got Witcher 3. I'm still getting used to it, so I can't make a good judgement on it quite yet. Hopefully it clicks for me as time goes on.

On a side note, I got a trophy called "Fist of the South Star". Someone at CD Projekt Red has very good taste in anime/manga.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:56 am 

Image Backer codes of Shantae Half-Genie Hero have started going out, with the Wii U ones out now. This is actually a week before official release.

I know this, of course, because I got mine and played it and loved it!

It is certainly a bit more linear compared to past games with different areas split up like levels as opposed to having a large overworld. But the gameplay is classic Shantae through and through. Hair whipping, magic attacks, animal transformations, and secrets hiding everywhere, requiring you to return to previously explored areas in order to 100% it.

I didn't, though I don't think it was because I didn't find everything. I didn't buy everything, though, so that might have been the issue. Took just under 6 hours all on my own.

And then I got to see my name in the credits and squeed! I actually contributed to something I am satisfied with!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:07 am 

Image So, decided to bite down and get Odin Sphere Leifthrasir on PS3.

Why that? Well, it's the only one I have that can play it.

Now, initially, I did want to get it on PS4, so I delayed it to get the surperior version. Had the game had Cross-Buy, this would have been a non-issue, but for whatever reason, it does not. Cross Save, yes, but not Cross Buy.

However, certain things have occurred that have delayed a PS4 purchase, and with the Switch not far off, I began to wonder if it is really worth it.

So that's what led me hear. I looked up to see if there were any significant performance differences, and aside from some dropped frames in very situational areas, the two are pretty identical, so I finally went ahead with it.

When I heard of the more rifined combat style closer to that of Muramasa, I was immediately intrigued. I really enjoyed Muramasa, but had a harder time getting into Odin Sphere when I got the PS2 version. Having played Leifthrasir, I have been enjoying it much more.

I just finished Cornelius's story and am eager to see the rest of this title. It's been quite fun thus far.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next