Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gaming Status
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:50 am 

Image Finally giving Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time an honest try after having it sit in my Steam Library for so long, so apologies to Elby after gifting that to me and not using it until now.

I'm still fairly early but it feels super charming so far with some really cool parkour elements. However, I am running into a few issues on this PC right now that I hope to iron out soon (I had to turn off the Fog just to be able to see the game). Ahh, that UbiSoft polish, am I right?

I really like it though, despite the issues. I got a good giggle the first time I died and heard "No no no, that's not what happened," since our hero is also the narrator so of course he can't be dead.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:16 pm 

Haha, Ubisoft games on PC...never, NEVER again. >.> They may look the part, but they don't really play well, unless it's a Tom Clancy game for some reason. They handled the original RE4 PC port, and that was pitiful.

But took you long enough! The Sands of Time, really that whole trilogy, is a marvel, one of those gems people overlook. Man I want a new game so badly...but since Assassin's Creed is 'a spiritual sequel', probably not. Between the parkour, later improved combat, charm from that story book presentation, it's something I cannot get enough. Throw in some things from my own culture here and there and it was made for me. Also I love how Yuri Lowenthall voiced one of the ancestors in Sly Cooper Thieves in Time and the character was almost an exaggerated version of the Prince, I loved every moment of that.

Oh and B, I'm playing RE6 now. By god this is so laughable, for all the wrong reasons. I have to wonder just why newcomers think this remaster means RE2make will be good, and why trashed RE0. There's....so much still wrong here, jeeze.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:48 pm 

Image Oh, I am fully aware of Ubi's storied history when it comes to PC gaming. But hey, it was a gift so I might as well use it and I did manage to find a few solutions (though I'm still getting really bizarre speed ups and slow downs). Could be worse; I might have to sign into UPlay...

Roughly 50% through it now. I've really come to enjoy the parkour elements, but not so much the combat. Anytime I come across enemies, I always get a sense of "Oh boy, here we go again" feeling and wished I could go back to just jumping about. I'm not sure if it's because it wasn't very refined back then, or if it is because of the jankiness of the PC port, but I'm not a fan of it. Rest feels solid though, lots of nice looking set pieces and good puzzles to solve.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:11 am 

Haha, at least you know. And oh god UPlay...

No, the combat in Sands of Time is not its strong suit. You have neat options like counters, jump, vaulting and the dagger but it is still barebones. Especially if you jump over an enemy and attack > dagger, it almost always instantly takes any sand monster but sometimes you have to be creative with the slow down power. Warrior Within (hence the name) and The two Thrones (my favorite) have far improved combat and powers. The PC ports don't feel right (they're functional though) with the keyboard at all however, try a PS3 controller or Xbox 360 one

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:43 pm 

Image I've been playing with a DS3 the entire time and it functions just fine, thankfully. It's interesting seeing you give props to the sequels since, from what I've read, most have said they wished it stayed with just the first game and ended everything there. But hey, everyone has different opinions. I'll think about it, but it probably won't be PC next time since, even with all the fixes I've done, there are still some issues, which still includes the inconsistent frames (I've tried things such as fiddling with the hardware.ini file and setting so that only one CPU core is running, since both were suggested, but nothing) but the more obnoxious bug right now is that some cutscenes don't play voices. At least I can rewatch what I missed on YouTube to get a better grasp of the story and the evolving characterization of the Prince and Farah.

Well, at 75%, at least I didn't miss this gem:

Spoiler: click to show
Finding my way to the baths from here should be easy. I'll just ask the next sand creature that I see. "Excuse me, could you direct me to the baths, please? Thank you." "Don't mention it, I used to be bath attendant back when I was alive."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:06 pm 

Warrior Within was dark, took on an odd Metroid format, and lacked substance with its story; the gameplay was the saving grace with the fixes to combat, platforming and longer campaign with slightly more to do, but it's buggy as hell. I do not know what the hell causes it, but your save can be completely !#%$ at some points in the game where some !#%$ will not load, or something just...went wrong. The dark nature is due to some designs, lack of interaction, points where there is no story/feel of progression, and the darker prince who is no longer voiced by Yuri Lowenthal (he comes back for Two Thrones and Forgotten Sands, thank the lord) but Robin Atkin Downes, who did a good job with the script but...ugh. Also I have to say...some of Downes' roles sound way too similar. The Prince, Travis Touchdown of No More Heroes, and Kaz Miller from MGS V. There's some diversity with the personalities - Travis being a !#%$ unlike the other two - but Kaz was amusingly bad cause he just took those two roles. That's the least of MGS V's problems though but story for another time! tee hee

I feel Warrior Within is where the buggy nature of Ubisoft games got started. But The Two Thrones mixed both games' best attributes perfectly, and holds up better than Warrior Within while it added new things to distinguish itself, like new combat options, a stealth option (This is where Assassin's Creed came in, more on that later) and more platforming options. And it basically closed off all loose ends for the story in a great fashion. Honestly I don't get why people just dismiss the sequels. Warrior Within's bugs are game breaking - back up your saves or have two because you can literally be forced to do another file and I've seen it happen where you can be at the end of the game and something will not load because Ubisoft !#%$ something up and you will not be able to progress - and besides that, the lack of the game's charm does kill it so I can get that much. The Two Thrones...I don't know what people have against it. Some people whine about the stealth, which you can ignore, and that's all.

Also I did notice some optional cutscenes or monologues can be missed due to them playing after a save point, so yeah you may have to YouTube it. It's a weird design choice, never got why they did that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:49 am 

Image Aaaand...done. Sands of Time is now all complete. Pretty great, all things considered. I did encounter a glitch that only happens on multicore processors though, so I had to lower it again just to pass this one part (83%, had to push a box off a ledge, but it would go flying on top of the stairs and be blocked by an invisible wall) but other than the previous mentioned glitches, I came across no other issues.

Things I took away from this:

+Plot was pretty cool. It's time travel done right.
+The Dagger of Time is a fantastic little tool and made taking risks more rewarding.
+The majority of the platforming puzzles were very well done.
+The dialogue and voice acting, what little I could make out considering the PC port, was very nice. Humor was legit funny.

-Combat is rubbish. I usually found myself stabbing with the dagger to slow them down, then finish them off, or even just wait for other enemies to trip the others by themselves.
-Collision detection seemed really wonky sometimes, with the Prince sometimes bouncing about on crumbling floors, making what should be simple sections more difficult (might be a PC issue).
-That last part after Farah takes the dagger was infuriating!
-Mirror puzzles are the worst!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:24 pm 

Yeah the last part was the worst part of the game. There isn't even a point to combat at that point, besides triggering the save points....get the sequels on consoles though. There are some weird issues with the HD Triliogy, namely visual so try for PS2 or GameCube.

A friend sent me Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness and I found Xenoblade Chronicles on eBay with posters...for some reason. Loving Xeno, even though I'm not that far in. It may be my love for Shulk due to his endless memes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:53 am 

Image So, in preparation for Generations, I got to the end credits of MH4U at last. I've been honing my Charge Blade ability and, man, I forgot how incredible this weapon was. Things die within minutes of each other (even killed a Frenzied Rathalos on High Rank in just 5 minutes). Anyway, point is, I got to see the ending of the "story" so I feel good moving on without regrets. Though I'll keep playing as much as I can before this Friday. And maybe beyond that since Generations doesn't have a G-Rank...

---

Also tried out some BoxBoxBoy! It's a good sequel to the original, though it hasn't quite hooked me in the same way. It's a fundamentally different, yet similar game. I don't think I'm quite in the mood for this, I s'pose.

---

And I did a run of SMRPG since it came to Wii U VC. Finished it relatively quickly and also did something I've never done before: Score 100 Super Jumps! Lemme tell ya, Mario with a Lazy Shell, Super Suit, and Attack Scarf completely breaks the game!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:08 pm 

Got Xenoblade Chronicles X and made it through the tutorial. Lin still creeps me out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:00 pm 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
LinBot-9000 will devour your soul

Also, I've been playing Street Fighter V now that it actually has content. Loving it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:41 pm 

BEEN PLAYIN' PAPER JAM, since I accidentally grabbed that instead of Dream Team.

IT'S KINDA FUN, but I'm certainly not enjoyin' the overly naggy nature of them reminding me to save/buy things/go places/EVERYTHING. I'M A GROWN MAN AND I'LL HEAL WHEN I DAMN WELL WANT.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:25 pm 

I just participated in the final Splatfest of Splatoon, and I saw on my friends list that Super Penguin M did, too! I didn't even know he had Splatoon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:40 pm 

ALSO WENT IN THE FINAL SPLATFEST. Friend tells me another event's gonna rear it's head in the wake of Splatfest, so I'm eager to see whatever that is. Didn't get to *CALLIE KING* like I wanted, so I got a MEAGER amount of tiny snails.

HAVEN'T TOUCHED DARK SOULS IN A WHILE, A DAMN SHAME. I oughta get back to it soon.

Monster Hunter's been my go-to game for a while, and it's NICE. LOVE SMASHIN' IN DRAGON HEADS WITH MY PALICOS Chestbeef AND BUTTMAGNUS. Finally goin' outta Bherna for some more quests and materials and crap.

Started Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (FINALLY FOUND THE RIGHT GAME), didn't get far. May start indulging in that pretty soon, just so I can add another beaten game under my belt and move onto somethin' else.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:36 pm 

Image This game is BK as hell.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next