Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Gaming Status
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:27 pm 

FSLAR wrote:
To be honest I don't think Color Splash will be that bad. But that's only because people are saying it'll be Federation Force levels of bad...no! Even though Color Splash lacks the mainstrays like loveable partners, it won't be that bad.

And you say this with certainty that Federation Force will be bad... Look, I know it's not the Metroid game you were hoping for, but at least it has the advantage of--and I feel it must be re-stated--being a spin-off. That means it can be whatever it wants to be and we don't have to worry that it will be the face of Metroid from now on.

Color Splash, though... I don't know, man. It feels like the series is going in this direction started by Sticker Star, and I don't like it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:08 pm 

Pikmanipulator wrote:
FSLAR wrote:
To be honest I don't think Color Splash will be that bad. But that's only because people are saying it'll be Federation Force levels of bad...no! Even though Color Splash lacks the mainstrays like loveable partners, it won't be that bad.

And you say this with certainty that Federation Force will be bad... Look, I know it's not the Metroid game you were hoping for, but at least it has the advantage of--and I feel it must be re-stated--being a spin-off. That means it can be whatever it wants to be and we don't have to worry that it will be the face of Metroid from now on.

Color Splash, though... I don't know, man. It feels like the series is going in this direction started by Sticker Star, and I don't like it.
Except I didn't say anything about how I feel about Federation Force there with certainty. I said Color Splash won't be as bad as people say, and that they compared it to Federation Force in terms of how bad it could be in their eyes. That's all.

You can keep saying that it's a spin off, but you have to realize a few things. The fact that it's been 6 years since a Metroid game, which was Other M and divided the fanbase up. The last time we had a good Metroid game was Metroid Prime 3 Corruption, 9 years ago. And you have to realize that Nintendo hasn't really said much on the rest of the franchise. More importantly, being a spin off is no excuse for being a bad game, assuming Federation Force turns out bad. Sonic Boom was critically panned and no one gave it a pass for being a spin off. That spin off series has people still worried about the Sonic franchise as a whole.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:52 am 

Image Well, FSLAR already said all I wanted to, but just wanna get in a few more cents into the conversation.

Federation Force could be fine. It very well could be a fine spin-off. It's being developed by Next Level Games and they have a proven track record of delivery stellar titles (Mario Strikers, Punch-Out!!, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon) so I have faith in them. The problem everyone has, as pointed out, is the fact that it has been way too long since a traditional Metroid game, even longer since a good traditional Metroid game (and even then, I'm not really huge on Corruption, but it's acceptable).

Had Federation Force been announced alongside, say, another Retro developed Metroid game (they certainly left a big opening at the end of Corruption if you got 100%), the backlash wouldn't be anywhere near as bad. Imagine if this was what happened to Zelda instead. Imagine if the last Zelda game we got was Phantom Hourglass. While it has its fans, I can safely say that the majority didn't like it that much, thanks to the touch controls and, more importantly, that stupid Temple of the Ocean King. Now imagine there was no Skyward Sword, no Link Between Worlds, no HD remakes, no Spirit Tracks, no Hyrule Warriors, and most importantly, no announcement for a new Zelda game for Wii U this year. But then, all of a sudden, we get an announcement for a brand new Zelda game...that's multiplayer focused. It's called Triforce Heroes.

Zelda fans would have been furious. However, unlike Metroid fans, they have something to hold onto. Not only do they have a selection of other, relatively new games to play (ALBW in particular is very well regarded), but they have something else to look forward to, so Triforce Heroes is a drop in the bucket to them. Zelda games come in a variety of qualities. Nobody cares about Link's Crossbow Training despite that being very much not what Zelda is about in the slightest because it's not worth talking about. It's a footnote in history and we move on.

But Metroid? We haven't been this starved for a new, traditional game since the N64 era passed us by. In fact, if we do exclude Other M, due to its bad aftertaste, it's been even longer than the time between Super and Prime/Fusion.

I will agree, it isn't really fair to judge Federation Force before it even comes out, but Nintendo should have probably anticipated something like this. Really, there were two ways they could have salvaged this: 1. Either announce another traditional Metroid title is in the works; or 2. Don't call it Metroid Prime: Federation Force. If it had no connection at all to Metroid, nobody would bat an eye, and instead would be seen as a simple multiplayer game for 3DS that may or may not be what they want. But since we are in this situation, Nintendo's YouTube account now preemptively disables the Like/Dislike bar and comments because they know it's not going to be received well. Even Bill Trinen in the last Direct coyly admitted that the game's showing was rather poor by saying people had "a lot of questions" about it (though he never went into detail what those questions were, which were probably variations of "Where's the REAL Metroid game?").

Hope that earns a better understanding now. For the record, I have no interest in the title, less so because it's not real Metroid but more so because it's a shooter on the 3DS and that just sounds painful to play. Probably not as bad as Kid Icarus: Uprising, but still not looking to try this anytime soon. But that's more than can be said about Color Splash, which I really do despise for existing because, of what was shown in its trailers, it really does look like nothing more than Sticker Star 2. And Sticker Star was probably the very first Mario game I ever just put away after a simple hour of play. Not just Paper Mario, just Mario in general. Its gameplay bothered me that much! And since Color Splash is basically more of the same (just replace stickers with color), count me out!

--------------------------------------

Anyroad, might as well take this time to discuss what I'm up to:

-All this Metroid talk made me remember that I picked up Super Metroid on New 3DS and it looks really nice on it. Beat it 100% in 2:29, though I know I could've been faster (I forgot there's nothing east of the Wrecked Ship). Tried out the True Pixel Mode as well and it actually does look a lot better (the text isn't stretched out anymore) and it looks like how I imagine Sakamoto and Yokoi originally intended it to look like. Of course, the truly mind blowing thing about it is I was playing Super Metroid on a handheld! It's literally a dream come true!

-And on the Pokémon side of things, I decided to do something fun: Go through a game with nothing but Eeveelutions. I decided on my copy of Pearl because 1) It let me have a full team of 6 different kinds, 2) It isn't too recent, being a Gen IV game, and 3) all of Gen V's games make you get the first badge and the C-Gear before you can trade, whereas most other games let you trade basically as soon as you get your second Pokémon, give or take a few exceptions. I've gotten 7 badges and stopped Team Galactic and caught Palkia so far, and honestly, Gen IV is better than I remember it being. Or maybe it's just because Gen VI didn't impress me all that much compared to Gen V...? It's still a slow game overall. As for the Eeveelution team, proving to be pretty fun but not all that challenging. It at least let me view them all individually to see where they stand out and such. Leafeon has turned out much better than I expected but I'm having a hard time finding a place for Umbreon (it's supposed to be bulky, but Vaporeon seems to be the better choice for tanking hits). Not using Flareon because, really, who in their right mind would use Flareon for anything?

-Still playing Pokkén on and off as well. This really is the fighting game for me. Hit E1 recently and now have 20 online battles under my belt out of about 34 or so. The matchmaking could use a bit of fixing though; I've fought against people that can utterly destroy me, but I've also fought against people that were 100% new and I ended up feeling guilty afterwards. Still need to play with friends, but I've been so busy this last month that it's been difficult to find time...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:22 am 

Yeah I really have to reiterate: spin offs are no excuse for anything bad. Period. When a spin off is not fun, and/or has flaws, there is no excuse, like Mario Tennis Ultra Smash's lack of content. That's almost as bad as people still trying to defend Sonic 2006 due to being rushed and unfinished, along with those same claims on Sonic Boom. Now if a spin off does something else like change characters or something like that but this doesn't effect the gameplay, that's another story. Federation Force still could be fine, as B said but his points do still stand. I'm mixed on Phantom Hourglass so I agree there. And I'm not a fan of how Nintendo is treating all this about Federation Force...disabling comments, likes/dislikes and admitting the reception is poor.

I'm not picking up Federation Force anytime soon but that's honestly because I have enough on my plate at the moment and I usually only buy games on release if there's a deal, a special edition, or I'm that dedicated - deals like what I got on Pokken Tournament, special editions like Fire Emblem Fates (I'm only just finishing up Birthright...jeeze, gonna take me the next year to finish Conquest and Revelation) and dedication like the new Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted 4. I didn't pick up Paper Jam yet, and not sure about getting the new Kirby even though I've been on a Kirby binge lately, only cause money and backlog. 3DS shooters though aren't bad to me, fore the record. Paper Mario though...I still need to get Sticker Star, but I believe I tried it once and something didn't click. All I want in Color Splash is partners back - Super Paper Mario's pixls did not leave a good impression on me though I do think that was justified with having Mario, Peach, Bowser and Luigi.

On B's next notion of general Nintendo, Super Metroid's on the 3DS Virtual Console now? omg I need to pick that up now. And I can agree on that notion of handheld Super Metroid! Oh the possibilities...glorious. That's how I felt about Ocarina of Time 3D. Though this reminds me I need to finish up my copy of Metroid Prime 3 Corruption now....and pick up Generation I on my 3DS.

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:21 pm 

Image Gosh, Ultra Smash really seemed like it was sent out to die, didn't it? What happened to Camelot lately? Ever since Dark Dawn floundered out, they've had trouble really making anything stellar lately. I guess the 3DS Mario Golf was alright, but besides that? Eh...

And man, if one of your disappointments about Super Paper Mario was its lack of any real partners (it's one of mine too, honestly, I agree on the Pixls being really meh), get ready to feel disappointed. If Sticker Star is anything to go by, Color Splash's only partner is going to be that floating paint bucket we saw in the trailer and it'll be nothing but exposition! Oh, lordy, did I despise Kersti (your "partner" in Sticker Star)! She is, like, the exact opposite of Fi from Skyward Sword, but in the worst possible way. She constantly talks down to you, doesn't provide any really useful abilities, and worse of all, when you actually want her advice, she is so incredibly vague you might as well not even had bother. I guess you can give Sticker Star a go if you can find it cheap, but I advise you, keep those expectations super low. It's regarded as the worst Paper Mario for a very solid reason.

As for Paper Jam, never got around to it and, honestly, don't really feel much interest in trying simply because they completely underutilized the crossover potential. I saw a Miiverse drawing that perfectly showcased what was wrong with this game: It was a drawing of Fawful and Rawk Hawk looking at the 3DS and wondering when they are going to make their cameos. This has been really bugging me lately, at least about Paper Mario. The unique and original characters are all but forgotten now, and with Paper Jam, it seems to be seeping into Mario & Luigi as well since, from all the preview builds I saw, virtually no original characters were used. Not even established Mario & Luigi races like the Beanish or Blockheads were involved. I certainly hope this was just a one-time thing and the next pure Mario & Luigi title will go back to having a unique cast of characters (if not as entertaining as early Paper Mario's). AlphaDream seems less likely to budge to Miyamoto's "words of wisdom" in the same way Intelligent Systems did.

*sigh* At this point, I'd even settle for just an HD remake of Thousand-Year Door. It doesn't need one, mind you, it still looks fantastic even 12 years later, but the new generation of fans deserve to play what is easily one of the greatest RPGs of all time.

But yes, Super Metroid is on New 3DS now. Needed to emphasis the =New= part since, like all SNES VC titles, it can't be played on the OG 3DS. However, I recall you stating you played Xenoblade 3D, which is also New exclusive, so you should be fine, and it was such a joy to experience again, no matter where I was. I only wish Ninty would finally incorporate some form of cross-buy already. I justified this one because Super was 30 cents during its Famicom anniversary so it didn't seem like that big a deal. Other than that, only other one I got was EarthBound since it's going to take something really special to purchase the same game again.

Ah yes, Gen I. Forgot I was also playing that. Sorta stopped at Cinnabar Island before getting the 7th Badge. Team was Venusaur, Persian, Ninetales, Sandslash, Jolteon, and Lapras. Only really wanted to play to test out the Mew Glitch (report: It still works).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:51 pm 

Yeah, that was so weird. A distinct lack of content compared to its predecessors...can't be a rush job if it's relatively glitch free.

And yeah, among my issues on Super Paper Mario, which is otherwise fine, the lack of partners was a big one. They just talk once and while amusing, that's it. The abilities were novel though. But if Color Splash has a character the opposite of Fi....oh god. Dear lord. I can find Sticker Star for like $20 new, so it won't be hard but my expectations will be low. That may have been why Super Paper Mario didn't wow me.

Paper Jam's cross over potential was a criticism among my friends, that is something that hyped me up too...didn't deliver. Where the hell was Paper Luigi? It's strange that it underutilized not just Paper Mario character but also Mario and Luigi ones, now that you mention it. Maybe this is a one time thing since for four games, the Mario and Luigi series has been relatively consistent. A few things here and there were questionable, but the games were still enjoyable. HD Thousand Year Door would be great, I feel that game still holds up all around. I dunno, I wanna hear Nintendo's thoughts on the future. That said, the one issue with Color Splash is that it's release isn't too far off, so we don't know if they could listen to fans and change it in time.

I do have a New Nintendo 3DS, yeah. I got the Hyrule Edition last holiday for Xenoblade 3D, Hyrule Warriors Legends and other potential games plus amiibo support. Being able to play SNES VC games should be neat, not bad. As for cross buy...yeah Nintendo needs to do that, along with fixing some of its pricing shenanigans. E.g. never lowering prices on games. Super Mario 3D Land has no business being $30. I love how Sony allows you to buy PSone Classics and they can be used on the PS3, PS4, PSP And PS Vita!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:45 pm 

Image Just a heads up for those with a Wii U...

You can play the console version of Xenoblade Chronicles now without paying GameStop's ludicrous prices.

Figured it's worth mentioning so more people can play it. It's that good!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:59 pm 

Image Played through Stories: The Path of Destinies. Neat little action game with a very Bastion style to it. You run around an isometric plain with a narrator retelling your exploits to the audience, etc. Should sound familiar.

The twist here is in the name: The Path of Destinies. The game boasts to have 24 different endings, and it isn't kidding. The whole point is that our protagonist, Reynardo the sky pirate fox, comes across this mystical book in the middle of a battle between an evil Emperor and the Rebels. However, by playing the game and making various different multiple choice paths throughout each chapter (a grand total of 5 per playthrough) you'll eventually reach an ending that...doesn't go well for our hero of the story (he usually dies a very painful, gruesome death). But afterwards, you get shot back to the beginning, the narrator explaining that the events didn't actually happen, even though it felt real. On top of that, you end up learning what are known as "truths" about the world around you via these different endings, which actually change what the narrator says in certain parts, painting a broader picture of what's really going on as you ultimately try to find that one ending that ends with Reynardo escaping with his life and, hopefully, the Emperor going down as well.

It takes a minimum of 5 plyathroughs just to get to this ending, though, but not to worry. At just 5 chapters per playthrough, it isn't very long, and as soon as I saw an ending, I was ready to try again and choose a different path. While some paths have some similar vibes to them as well as the same areas, each story that is told is wholly unique. What happens to Reynardo by the end of the story will be quite different from the last. One might end with decapitation, another falling for a trap, and even bringing about the end of the universe!

Had a great time myself. Took roughly 4 hours to get that golden ending. The fact it was Canadian made didn't hurt things either.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:03 pm 

Yes, I got the platinum trophy in Dark Souls 3.

No, I'm not done playing.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:28 pm 

Image Worth it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:47 am 

Image Been giving Stellaris a shot. I'm digging it so far. Got a peaceful empire of nomadic desert foxes exploring the galaxy right now, though we did have to deal with some cultists who weren't exactly the happiest about all this. Though the ringleader met quite an anti-climatic end: I sent several fleets of Corvettes after her giant destroyer, she was all "I will destroy your pathetic fleet and take control of the monarchy" but then, as it turns out, she had entered colonized space of a Fallen Empire. As a peaceful nation, we were forced to retreat so not to upset them...and then we learned that her ship got blasted by them after we left. Welp.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:49 pm 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
Got Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir. If anyone wanted to play Odin Sphere, but disliked it's clunkiness, this alleviates it greatly. Combat is much faster, and there is little to no lag. Also a lot of the assets have been redrawn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:45 pm 

Kinda burned out on Dark Souls right now, but at the same time, I just can't get enough, so I'm playing Salt and Sanctuary instead. Hoping I can find a greatsword soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:09 pm 

I have to return to Dark Souls soon...though I did splurge on a lot lately due to random sales/finds, stemming back from months ago usually.

DmC: Devil May Cry Definitive Edition which I found actually pretty good, laughable story and edge aside. Resident Evil 6 Remaster should be...amusing, oh dear me.

I picked up Dark Souls, Dark Souls II Scholar of the Lost Sin and Bloodborne due to impulse and huge savings. Liking the first, until I die anyway.

Picked up the Pikmin trilogy, and loving using those creatures to conquest everything! Also found a copy of Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn in a Gamestop after using some stuff to save funds on it, seems ok but almost feels like an expansion pack to Path of Radiance instead of a sequel. Mostly since I finished Birthright back in April and after starting Conquest, I figured I might as well finish up Ike's story. If he even plays a big enough role in this...

Got Uncharted 4 Libertalia Collector's Edition last month, and loved every moment of it. Oh Naughty Dog, you just get me on so many levels...that crash bandicoot cameo is the stuff of dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:39 pm 

LIST OF GAMES I GOTTA GET:
-Splatoon
-Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
-DARK SOULS
-Final Fantasy V
-Phoenix Wright Collection

List of games I wanna BEAT:
-Dragon Quest II
-Dragon Quest III
-Dragon Quest IV
-CladunX2
-Skyrim
-Disgaea D2

I need more Stebs to help with this.

WHAT'S WORSE; A LOTTA THESE GAMES REQUIRE HEAVY TIME INVESTMENTS. I CAN'T LET THIS BREAK GO BY WITHOUT FINISHIN' A BUTTLOAD OF GAMES AND NON-GAME STUFF.

I WISH I DIDN'T NEED SLEEP...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:50 am 

Image Finally giving Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time an honest try after having it sit in my Steam Library for so long, so apologies to Elby after gifting that to me and not using it until now.

I'm still fairly early but it feels super charming so far with some really cool parkour elements. However, I am running into a few issues on this PC right now that I hope to iron out soon (I had to turn off the Fog just to be able to see the game). Ahh, that UbiSoft polish, am I right?

I really like it though, despite the issues. I got a good giggle the first time I died and heard "No no no, that's not what happened," since our hero is also the narrator so of course he can't be dead.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:16 pm 

Haha, Ubisoft games on PC...never, NEVER again. >.> They may look the part, but they don't really play well, unless it's a Tom Clancy game for some reason. They handled the original RE4 PC port, and that was pitiful.

But took you long enough! The Sands of Time, really that whole trilogy, is a marvel, one of those gems people overlook. Man I want a new game so badly...but since Assassin's Creed is 'a spiritual sequel', probably not. Between the parkour, later improved combat, charm from that story book presentation, it's something I cannot get enough. Throw in some things from my own culture here and there and it was made for me. Also I love how Yuri Lowenthall voiced one of the ancestors in Sly Cooper Thieves in Time and the character was almost an exaggerated version of the Prince, I loved every moment of that.

Oh and B, I'm playing RE6 now. By god this is so laughable, for all the wrong reasons. I have to wonder just why newcomers think this remaster means RE2make will be good, and why trashed RE0. There's....so much still wrong here, jeeze.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:48 pm 

Image Oh, I am fully aware of Ubi's storied history when it comes to PC gaming. But hey, it was a gift so I might as well use it and I did manage to find a few solutions (though I'm still getting really bizarre speed ups and slow downs). Could be worse; I might have to sign into UPlay...

Roughly 50% through it now. I've really come to enjoy the parkour elements, but not so much the combat. Anytime I come across enemies, I always get a sense of "Oh boy, here we go again" feeling and wished I could go back to just jumping about. I'm not sure if it's because it wasn't very refined back then, or if it is because of the jankiness of the PC port, but I'm not a fan of it. Rest feels solid though, lots of nice looking set pieces and good puzzles to solve.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:11 am 

Haha, at least you know. And oh god UPlay...

No, the combat in Sands of Time is not its strong suit. You have neat options like counters, jump, vaulting and the dagger but it is still barebones. Especially if you jump over an enemy and attack > dagger, it almost always instantly takes any sand monster but sometimes you have to be creative with the slow down power. Warrior Within (hence the name) and The two Thrones (my favorite) have far improved combat and powers. The PC ports don't feel right (they're functional though) with the keyboard at all however, try a PS3 controller or Xbox 360 one

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:43 pm 

Image I've been playing with a DS3 the entire time and it functions just fine, thankfully. It's interesting seeing you give props to the sequels since, from what I've read, most have said they wished it stayed with just the first game and ended everything there. But hey, everyone has different opinions. I'll think about it, but it probably won't be PC next time since, even with all the fixes I've done, there are still some issues, which still includes the inconsistent frames (I've tried things such as fiddling with the hardware.ini file and setting so that only one CPU core is running, since both were suggested, but nothing) but the more obnoxious bug right now is that some cutscenes don't play voices. At least I can rewatch what I missed on YouTube to get a better grasp of the story and the evolving characterization of the Prince and Farah.

Well, at 75%, at least I didn't miss this gem:

Spoiler: click to show
Finding my way to the baths from here should be easy. I'll just ask the next sand creature that I see. "Excuse me, could you direct me to the baths, please? Thank you." "Don't mention it, I used to be bath attendant back when I was alive."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:06 pm 

Warrior Within was dark, took on an odd Metroid format, and lacked substance with its story; the gameplay was the saving grace with the fixes to combat, platforming and longer campaign with slightly more to do, but it's buggy as hell. I do not know what the hell causes it, but your save can be completely !#%$ at some points in the game where some !#%$ will not load, or something just...went wrong. The dark nature is due to some designs, lack of interaction, points where there is no story/feel of progression, and the darker prince who is no longer voiced by Yuri Lowenthal (he comes back for Two Thrones and Forgotten Sands, thank the lord) but Robin Atkin Downes, who did a good job with the script but...ugh. Also I have to say...some of Downes' roles sound way too similar. The Prince, Travis Touchdown of No More Heroes, and Kaz Miller from MGS V. There's some diversity with the personalities - Travis being a !#%$ unlike the other two - but Kaz was amusingly bad cause he just took those two roles. That's the least of MGS V's problems though but story for another time! tee hee

I feel Warrior Within is where the buggy nature of Ubisoft games got started. But The Two Thrones mixed both games' best attributes perfectly, and holds up better than Warrior Within while it added new things to distinguish itself, like new combat options, a stealth option (This is where Assassin's Creed came in, more on that later) and more platforming options. And it basically closed off all loose ends for the story in a great fashion. Honestly I don't get why people just dismiss the sequels. Warrior Within's bugs are game breaking - back up your saves or have two because you can literally be forced to do another file and I've seen it happen where you can be at the end of the game and something will not load because Ubisoft !#%$ something up and you will not be able to progress - and besides that, the lack of the game's charm does kill it so I can get that much. The Two Thrones...I don't know what people have against it. Some people whine about the stealth, which you can ignore, and that's all.

Also I did notice some optional cutscenes or monologues can be missed due to them playing after a save point, so yeah you may have to YouTube it. It's a weird design choice, never got why they did that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:49 am 

Image Aaaand...done. Sands of Time is now all complete. Pretty great, all things considered. I did encounter a glitch that only happens on multicore processors though, so I had to lower it again just to pass this one part (83%, had to push a box off a ledge, but it would go flying on top of the stairs and be blocked by an invisible wall) but other than the previous mentioned glitches, I came across no other issues.

Things I took away from this:

+Plot was pretty cool. It's time travel done right.
+The Dagger of Time is a fantastic little tool and made taking risks more rewarding.
+The majority of the platforming puzzles were very well done.
+The dialogue and voice acting, what little I could make out considering the PC port, was very nice. Humor was legit funny.

-Combat is rubbish. I usually found myself stabbing with the dagger to slow them down, then finish them off, or even just wait for other enemies to trip the others by themselves.
-Collision detection seemed really wonky sometimes, with the Prince sometimes bouncing about on crumbling floors, making what should be simple sections more difficult (might be a PC issue).
-That last part after Farah takes the dagger was infuriating!
-Mirror puzzles are the worst!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:24 pm 

Yeah the last part was the worst part of the game. There isn't even a point to combat at that point, besides triggering the save points....get the sequels on consoles though. There are some weird issues with the HD Triliogy, namely visual so try for PS2 or GameCube.

A friend sent me Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness and I found Xenoblade Chronicles on eBay with posters...for some reason. Loving Xeno, even though I'm not that far in. It may be my love for Shulk due to his endless memes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:53 am 

Image So, in preparation for Generations, I got to the end credits of MH4U at last. I've been honing my Charge Blade ability and, man, I forgot how incredible this weapon was. Things die within minutes of each other (even killed a Frenzied Rathalos on High Rank in just 5 minutes). Anyway, point is, I got to see the ending of the "story" so I feel good moving on without regrets. Though I'll keep playing as much as I can before this Friday. And maybe beyond that since Generations doesn't have a G-Rank...

---

Also tried out some BoxBoxBoy! It's a good sequel to the original, though it hasn't quite hooked me in the same way. It's a fundamentally different, yet similar game. I don't think I'm quite in the mood for this, I s'pose.

---

And I did a run of SMRPG since it came to Wii U VC. Finished it relatively quickly and also did something I've never done before: Score 100 Super Jumps! Lemme tell ya, Mario with a Lazy Shell, Super Suit, and Attack Scarf completely breaks the game!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:08 pm 

Got Xenoblade Chronicles X and made it through the tutorial. Lin still creeps me out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:00 pm 

Location: Unknown, but it no doubt involves appliances found in the kitchen.
LinBot-9000 will devour your soul

Also, I've been playing Street Fighter V now that it actually has content. Loving it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:41 pm 

BEEN PLAYIN' PAPER JAM, since I accidentally grabbed that instead of Dream Team.

IT'S KINDA FUN, but I'm certainly not enjoyin' the overly naggy nature of them reminding me to save/buy things/go places/EVERYTHING. I'M A GROWN MAN AND I'LL HEAL WHEN I DAMN WELL WANT.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:25 pm 

I just participated in the final Splatfest of Splatoon, and I saw on my friends list that Super Penguin M did, too! I didn't even know he had Splatoon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:40 pm 

ALSO WENT IN THE FINAL SPLATFEST. Friend tells me another event's gonna rear it's head in the wake of Splatfest, so I'm eager to see whatever that is. Didn't get to *CALLIE KING* like I wanted, so I got a MEAGER amount of tiny snails.

HAVEN'T TOUCHED DARK SOULS IN A WHILE, A DAMN SHAME. I oughta get back to it soon.

Monster Hunter's been my go-to game for a while, and it's NICE. LOVE SMASHIN' IN DRAGON HEADS WITH MY PALICOS Chestbeef AND BUTTMAGNUS. Finally goin' outta Bherna for some more quests and materials and crap.

Started Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (FINALLY FOUND THE RIGHT GAME), didn't get far. May start indulging in that pretty soon, just so I can add another beaten game under my belt and move onto somethin' else.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:36 pm 

Image This game is BK as hell.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:40 am 

Image It's been brought to my attention, from various different sources, that this fan remake of Metroid II has actually launched! I distinctly remember this one popping up and giving us a demo around 2009 but didn't really think much of it until, just in time for Metroid's 30th Anniversary, news broke out that the game is finished and ready to play for anyone!

You can download it right here!

I've already played about an hour in and just met up with my first Gamma Metroid. Having gone through the original Game Boy version already, there was stuff I remembered, but plenty of surprises as well, such as new boss battles and other such surprises (like a Metroid jump scaring me in a seemingly innocent hallway). Not to mention the AI of the Metroids is very clever while still retaining much of their same original behavior.

Gonna be playing more for sure.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:28 am 

This would be great for Nintendo to do, to go alongside Zero Mission. It'd be enough for Metroid's 30th Anniversary actually, or a good sign.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:59 pm 

Image I recall reading that they initially planned to remake in on the GBC ala Link's Awakening, but it obviously never got too far. A shame, really. I think Metroid II had some neat ideas but didn't really feel that "Metroid-y" with a real lack of exploration involved. To be fair, the original game was back when the series was still trying to find itself before perfecting the formula with Super.

Nevertheless, this would've been really neat to see released officially. But I'll take what I can get, and at least really dedicated fans are willing to provide what has, so far, been an absolutely excellent remake. Progress says I have about 20 Metroids to go with over 70% completion in 3 hours (so if the game gives endings based on times like before, I've pretty much screwed up getting anything beyond the bog standard ending).

I also need to applaud them for including this room with a Power Bomb Expansion:

Nice little call forward.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:23 pm 

I just saw GameXplain's video on it and knew it would be something you guys would be interested in.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:07 pm 

Just a forewarning, Nintendo's already caught on and seems to be trying to take down the fan remake. Better download it fast!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:21 am 

FSLAR wrote:
Just a forewarning, Nintendo's already caught on and seems to be trying to take down the fan remake. Better download it fast!

Image Hold on to your hats. There are now claims that these are fake DMCA claims, much like that stint with Tumblr fanart getting claimed. MDb is looking into this tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:47 am 

The Great B-Man wrote:
FSLAR wrote:

Image Hold on to your hats. There are now claims that these are fake DMCA claims, much like that stint with Tumblr fanart getting claimed. MDb is looking into this tomorrow.
Possibly. But regardless, it shouldn't be that long till nintendo notices at minimum. Hopefully they take note and try to do their own remake.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:51 am 

Image And done. Time was 4:30 with 92%, so for a first time through what was basically a new Metroid title, that went very well. A few thoughts:

-Composition was fantastic all around, though Hydro Station was easily the highlight, personally. It's nice that they didn't just remix songs purely from Metroid II since there wasn't much variety when going to different sectors.
-On Normal, it was definitely challenging, but never to the point of being frustrating. Closest I came to death (not including the part where the Power Cell in the Tower blows up since that's scripted) was my first Zeta fight and that was because I was trying to learn its patterns (Zetas from that point on didn't get me even close to the first one, heck even the Omegas didn't pose much of a challenge, surprisngly).
-I appreciate the smarter AI of the Metroids overall. Made their battles a lot more intense. Their sprite work was top notch too (they even made Omega custom, despite Fusion handing them a perfectly fine one).
-The boss fights were all a nice surprise, with some better than others. I didn't really like the ones that handed out nearly impossible to dodge projectiles though
-I love all the little nods to other games, such as finding the area where Samus would get infected by the X, and a few boss fights were definitely inspired by the other games.
-The later part of the game, where you need to fight nothing but 3 more Omegas before reaching the final part, felt kind of dull. To be fair, it wasn't exactly exciting in the original version as well, but considering how much everything else was improved, I wish there was more than a simple long corridor with the occasional branched off path to face an Omega. No more pick ups at that point from what I could see.
-The final boss wasn't really hard, but it definitely felt more fun than the original when you could just cheese it if you knew the trick (though the fight ends exactly how you'd expect it).

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and am glad to have played it. Haven't had a 2D Metroid since 2004 so it was nice to get something fresh like this. Kudos to the fans for this one!

And now, a few final screens (some spoilers for those who wanna be surprised):

Spoiler: click to show
It's Serris before the X infected it! Now in its natural habitat. Water wasn't actually in Metroid II, but Fusion implied there was, so now we get to see how Serris thrives.

The Queen herself. This is what all of Metroid II led up to, and the remake is no different. Fight itself is pretty different though, but a lot of fun.

...Though the outcome is probably what you'd expect. Reminds me of what Crocomire ends up looking like.

And there's the Hatchling, the one Metroid Samus couldn't kill. It'll help you get out back to your ship, just like in the original.

/salute

Pretty cute artwork, all things considered, I wonder if this is the 3+ hours one...? Assuming there are multiples. As an aside, one nice little touch is that once you beat the game, the sky on the surface of SR388 changes from a daytime setting to night, so this mission took her all day to do.

...And thus, begins Super Metroid...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:38 am 

After putting them off for so long, I've decided to go back to Super Mystery Dungeon and Xenoblade X, and will push myself to finish them.

I promise not to get distracted by Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma this time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:53 pm 

Image Been replaying Ace Attorney so I can refresh my memory when I get down to trying out Spirit of Justice (...and Apollo Justice...and Dual Destinies...) and I just realized something...

The first game takes place this year! The proof is in the DL-6 file, since that case was in 2001!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:29 pm 

Nioh is brutal!

But also fun.

Mostly brutal, though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:19 am 

Image Trying out Seasons after Fall, a game released just yesterday on PC. Puzzle platformer, though this one has a very pretty watercolor-like art style.

You play a fox (or rather, a "Seed" possessing a fox) as you run around the Forest gaining the power to change the seasons and to solve just what is wrong with it. I've hit the point where I got all four seasons now and there seems to be quite a bit of mystery behind all of this that I'm eager to find out. Think of it as kinda like Oracle of Seasons minus the Zelda bits.

It's a very tranquil game. No enemies or danger. Just you, a fox, and your wits.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:57 pm 

Recently got Witcher 3. I'm still getting used to it, so I can't make a good judgement on it quite yet. Hopefully it clicks for me as time goes on.

On a side note, I got a trophy called "Fist of the South Star". Someone at CD Projekt Red has very good taste in anime/manga.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:56 am 

Image Backer codes of Shantae Half-Genie Hero have started going out, with the Wii U ones out now. This is actually a week before official release.

I know this, of course, because I got mine and played it and loved it!

It is certainly a bit more linear compared to past games with different areas split up like levels as opposed to having a large overworld. But the gameplay is classic Shantae through and through. Hair whipping, magic attacks, animal transformations, and secrets hiding everywhere, requiring you to return to previously explored areas in order to 100% it.

I didn't, though I don't think it was because I didn't find everything. I didn't buy everything, though, so that might have been the issue. Took just under 6 hours all on my own.

And then I got to see my name in the credits and squeed! I actually contributed to something I am satisfied with!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:07 am 

Image So, decided to bite down and get Odin Sphere Leifthrasir on PS3.

Why that? Well, it's the only one I have that can play it.

Now, initially, I did want to get it on PS4, so I delayed it to get the surperior version. Had the game had Cross-Buy, this would have been a non-issue, but for whatever reason, it does not. Cross Save, yes, but not Cross Buy.

However, certain things have occurred that have delayed a PS4 purchase, and with the Switch not far off, I began to wonder if it is really worth it.

So that's what led me hear. I looked up to see if there were any significant performance differences, and aside from some dropped frames in very situational areas, the two are pretty identical, so I finally went ahead with it.

When I heard of the more rifined combat style closer to that of Muramasa, I was immediately intrigued. I really enjoyed Muramasa, but had a harder time getting into Odin Sphere when I got the PS2 version. Having played Leifthrasir, I have been enjoying it much more.

I just finished Cornelius's story and am eager to see the rest of this title. It's been quite fun thus far.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:42 pm 

FFXV is pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:29 am 

Image While I still don't have my own PS4, I do happen to know someone who did, so we and another group of like minded individuals managed to finally give Jackbox Party Pack 3 a try. I always love these, so let's see how this one stands up.

The games are: Quiplash 2, Trivia Murder Party, Guesspionage, Fakin' It, and Tee K.O.

-Quiplash 2
It's more Quiplash, which means it comes with the same pros and cons as the original, with the biggest con, of course, being that if your party is too small and/or you are not playing over Twitch/YouTube, this really isn't worth playing. I do appreciate the change in The Last Lash being more than just a question (in my run's case, we had to finish up a one panel comic strip) but it wasn't enough to save it. I know there is potential for Quiplash to be great, I see it online all the time. But for my own personal experiences, it isn't worth it.

-Trivia Murder Party
It's no You Don't Know Jack, but this will do. It's a trivia quiz show where obscure knowledge can help win you lots of cash, but it comes with a nasty twist: Get answers wrong, and our Jigsaw-esque narrator will kill you. But, he does give you a fair chance by letting you play a random mini-game first. For example, in Chalice, all the players who got the answer right must dip poison into one of four chalices, while everyone who got it wrong must drink a chalice without knowing what's in it. Drink the poison, and you're dead. But don't fret, as being dead doesn't mean it's over, since at the very end of the game, the lone surviving player must now make his/her way to the exit by answer more questions, but the ghosts of the other players will be following them, attempting to steal their body for themselves and escape instead. This final round actually gets super tense, even if everything in it boils down to True or False, but it made for a good time. Murder has never been so fun! Fun fact: This is the token "You can play with just 1 Player" game that ever Jackbox Party Pack comes with. (The previous ones were You Don't Know Jack 2014, and Bomb Corp)

-Guesspionage
Fairly simple premise with an even simpler design. You are all contestants in a survey guessing type game where you must guess what percentage of the people surveyed by Jackbox did what thing (such as drink chocolate milk in the last year, or never buy popcorn at a movie theatre). Every one takes turns in the hot seat and making a bold prediction of what percentage of people said that specific fact. Everyone else then must guess if the answer is going to be higher or lower than what the hot seat player guessed. The closer the hot seat player is to the actual answer, the more points they get, maxing out at 3,000 for getting it exactly right. Players not in the hot seat who correctly guessed higher or lower get 1,000 each (in Round 2, you can also "double or nothing" it by guessing much higher/lower if you think their answer was off by more than 15%). After the hot seat player plays, it then moves on to the next player until everyone gets a shot. The final round is one last guessing game where 9 answers are given for a specific question (such as "What sport would most people like to be professional stars in") and you all have to guess the 3 most popular answers, Family Feud style. The more you get right and the higher that answer is to number one, the more final points you get. For how simple it was, this was surprisingly entertaining. I just wish there was more to it.

-Fakin' It!
I had really high hopes for this. For one, it was hosted by Cookie Masterson of You Don't Know Jack/Fibbage fame, and those were always some of the better ones. On top of that, it did involve actually looking at people in the room, so it seemed far more engaging than most. Basically, it boils down to this: Everyone gets a task on their device (ie. Raise your hand if you have ever talked on your cell phone at a movie) and they must do said task at the sound of "GO!" That is, everyone...except for one. This is the Faker and they must try to blend in with the crowd to avoid suspicion. After the task is done, everyone votes on who they think the Faker is, whilst the Faker tries to dissuade them and convince everyone else that someone else is the Faker. If the Faker escapes, they get points. If the Faker is caught, everyone else gets points, with players getting three chances per category to try to catch the Faker. So wherein does the problem lie? Simple: The questions got too horribly specific. One was about owning a Dave Matthews band CD, which nobody in the place I was playing in did own, not to mention another one was "Getting caught for speeding" when about half the room can't even drive (including me). Thus, the best part of Fakin' It, trying to persuade others into voting someone else, never really happened. The only part that was actually interesting, the last round, has everyone getting questions on their device that they must answer (such as "What do you keep in your refrigerator?") whilst the Faker gets a completely different set of questions that might yield similar responses, but even then, I've seen this idea done better on the flippin' Wii U with Wii Party U! Such a disappointment.

-Tee K.O.
Opposite of Fakin' It, I expected this to be the next Bidiots, an overly complex drawing game with little fun or entertainment. Boy, how wrong I ended up being. The idea of this is that you are trying to design T-Shirts and have them duke it out with other T-Shirts to find the best T-Shirt possible. In order to do so, everyone is asked to draw 3 pictures of whatever they want (though a Suggestion is there if you aren't feeling inspired), with 90 seconds per picture. After that, they are then asked to write out slogans or phrases of whatever they feel like (again, there is a Suggestion button if you can't think of anything witty to write and they can suggest things like "Something you'd see on a park sign") and they have to think of as many as they can (though the narrator suggest roughly 3-4 would be best). Then, your pictures and slogans are shuffled to the other players (and you get theirs) and you must pick your favourite combination of pictures and slogans that you think would win "Best T-Shirt." Then, everyone's choices goes head-to-head against others and everyone votes on which one they like most (even those who's shirts are competing, unlike something like Quiplash where you can't vote if your answer was on there). After this first fight of T-Shirt fights, you are then asked to draw one more picture and write a few more slogans, and then you must pick out another shirt/slogan combo that is sent to you and have another battle. After that, in the final round, the T-Shirts that were considered the winners from both rounds, go into one final showdown to pick out the ultimate T-Shirt, and the last shirt standing wins! What makes this so wonderful is the absurdity that comes from the combos that people can come up, such as this gem: https://twitter.com/The_Great_B_Man/sta ... 5429692418 Of all the games during the various Party Packs, this one probably got the biggest laughs (the Drawful and Fibbage series were the only other ones I could think of as really laughing hard at). And as an added bonus, you can even order these dumb T-Shirts you made as real products you can wear straight from Jackbox. The one downside is that, because of the nature of the game, this one easily takes the longest so it's not good if you want something quick.

Overall, a good pack. It has about the same value to me as 2 did, which is middling, but what is good is really good. As a tiny thing I'd also like to mention, this is the first Jackbox Party Pack where you can choose your avatar in certain games (specifically Guesspionage and Tee K.O.) which I thought was kind of cute for people who get attached to specific avatars from games (I know I was pretty fond of the yellow face from Quiplash).

Gosh, I really hope these games come to Switch. It would be PERFECT!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:06 am 

Image Went through OneShot. Not all that long. Took about 3 hours.

That game is about as meta as all get out. It seems like a simple 2D Adventure game...

...until the game directly talks to you. And addresses you by whatever your username is on your PC.

It just gets more crazy from there, but...I'll leave the discoveries to you. Just keep in mind that, anytime you see a computer in the world...that's when things get...interesting.

--------------------

Continuing on my 2016 Indie-bend, I also tried out Creepy Castle, and it has proven to be very enjoyable. Seemingly inspired by ZX Spectrum, the gameplay is described as an action-RPG, though I feel that term is rather loose compared to how the game plays. It's a 2D sidescroller where movement and sounds is deliberately lo-fi to give that sense that this could totally be played on a handheld. The enemies never move, and in fact, it's more of a turn based system where you two exchange blows until there is a victor (kind of reminds me of Desktop Dungeons in a way). However, just dishing out blows on your own can get pretty boring very quickly, so this is where one of the chief mechanics of the game stands out.

Most fights include a little minigame to try to deal damage. One is a quick-draw kind of scenario where you have to hit the button once the ! lights up, another involves moving a cursor to attack the enemy's face without missing , and so forth. It adds a lot more engagement to what would otherwise be a rather dull fighting mechanic. Light Metroidvania elements too, though nothing major (a few key items you need in order to access areas you couldn't before). Been playing it for the past few days and haven't finished every scenario yet.

Few guest characters, here and there. So far, I've seen: Dr. Fetus, Chica, and Plague Knight.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:42 am 

Been playing more Animal Crossing: New Leaf during my lunch breaks at classes, mostly to pay off the surplus Play Coins I've been racking up. Desert Island Escape is a really neato game, I must say. I can see why they chose to implement that game, of all possible minigames, from Amiibo Festival.

Other than that, I've played some Ever Oasis, which is a really charming labor of love, and Miitopia, with McKnackus, Elby, B-Man, Raxy, and DoM all having appeared as members of my party. (I also cast Super Penguin M as the besmirched noble's son, heh.) Hey! Pikmin is also occupying my current library, and I plan to make a review of it sometime, given all the negative press it got when it was announced.

There is something I want to ask you owners of Majora's Mask, though. As someone who is considering getting the game, and has a Nintendo 64 with an Expansion Pak, would it be better for me to just get the original game, or should I bite the bullet and get the remake?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 679 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7