Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:31 pm 

JEFF DID SUDDENLY SIT UP, IN A PANIC. HIS FATE HAD NOT IMPROVED, BUT HE DID FEEL THE GREAT POWER. IT WAS COMING, AND THERE WAS NOTHING HE COULD DO. HE BANGED ON THE DOOR, BUT NO ONE WOULD COME. SO, HE DID THE ONLY THING HE COULD DO. HE KNELT DOWN ON ONE KNEE, AND PRAYED. HE REACHED FOR HIS DICE TO TRY AND STOP WHAT WAS ABOUT TO HAPPEN, TO MAKE THE MOONS MISALIGN, OR TO FORCE THE POWER TO BE CONTAINED, BUT HE REALIZED HIS DICE WAS GONE. A PETTY THIEF, SOME LOWLIFE MUST HAVE STOLEN IT. HE HAD PLACED MOST OF HIS POWER IN IT, BUT HE FELT A SMALL SPARK OF IT LEFT. HE USED IT TO PRAY TO HIS PEOPLE. AND HE SAW THEIR STRUGGLE WITH THE GIANT FISH. HE WOULD HAVE HELPED THEM KILL IT, WHEN HE SAW IT.

THE MARKING.

HE USED THE REMAINDER OF HIS POWER, AIDED BY THE PRAYERS OF HIS PEOPLE, AND HE TOUCHED THE HEARTS OF THE PEOPLE ATTACKING THE FISH. AND NOT ONLY DID THEY LET THE FISH GO, THEY ALSO FED IT THE FRUIT OF THE FOREST AND AIDED IT ON ITS JOURNEY. BUT BEFORE IT WAS GONE, JEFF DID REACH THROUGH ONE OF HIS CHILDREN TO TOUCH THE FISH, GIFTING IT THE GREAT POWER OF THE FRUIT OF THE METAL FOREST. GIVING IT A MUCH MORE POWERFUL SWIMMING SPEED, AND THICKER SCALES.

WITH THAT, JEFF FELL OVER AGAIN, EXHAUSTED. HE COULD ONLY HOPE THAT HORUS WOULD KEEP AN EYE ON HIS PEOPLE WHILE HE WAS INDISPOSED.

HE THEN PASSED OUT AGAIN.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:43 pm 

Bastet grinned, watching the moons begin to line up above the crown. Not yet, but any moment. She didn't have time to waste. If anything were to go wrong, it would be her roll. She grasped both dice in her hands, closing her eyes. She then tossed them both, letting fate take over.

Jeff's dice, naturally being full of his abnormal luck, landed on 99. She watched her other dice tumble across the board, landing on 98. Clearly, fate was on her side. She then used her remaining power, the power she had stored, to power her role further. It was time to go to work.

The fellbird had returned to its nest, wounded. Bastet started stirring the clouds around the nest, creating a great storm over it. Her mightiest warrior reached the top of the tower, ready to face the massive bird as thunder echoed around the forest. She held her weapon to the air as she addressed the fellbird with a mighty war cry, a cry that boomed over the thunder. Lightning rained down onto the tower, striking the fellbird in several places as her weapon lit up. She then ran at the fellbird, leaping onto it and climbing up onto the bird's head. She raised her weapon high into the air, lightning striking it several times, the symbols on the blade glowing a bright pink. The warrior then turned the weapon on herself, piercing her midriff. Pink lightning erupted from the tip of the weapon, covering the fellbird. It let out one last, weak cry, before erupting in a bright, white light.

The girls at the bottom of the tower also started glowing slightly, as their bodies started to change. Wings of different colors erupted out of their backs, and their cute kitty feet turned into sharp talons. They continued their singing, praising the fellbird for its gift, as they looked up to their mighty huntress. She had grown, not quite as big as the fellbird, her arms covered in pink feathers and two huge wings having sprouted out of her back, covered in the pink feathers. She had four eyes, and sharp talons on the ends of her feet. Even her tail had feathers on it now.

Bastet nodded, turning her attention away from her new creations briefly to address her lands. The massive crystal that sat on top of her mountain was fully covered in carvings now, and it had an ominous feeling to it. She reached down to the planet, and picked up this crystal. She then put it in the center of Cogus as it lined up with the top of the volcano.

The world trembled, and all life paused for a second, looking to the moons. A bright flash of red light erupted out of the top of the tallest volcano, and went through the three moons, empowering them. The two stars turned a blood red, and the entire land was bathed in the color. All of the creatures in the land would feel a great power washing through them, as the planet rejuvenated itself. Areas that were brown would become a little greener, oceans would have more life in them. Existing tribes would have a population boost, and feel happier. And the world was a bit more kawaii.

The light would end after the next turn.

Bastet smiled, watching her crystal gather this power. She directed the tribe around the fellbird's old nest to return home. They stretched their new wings out, and took flight.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:10 pm 

!#%$'s eyes grew watery from the display. The creature itself that was just made was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. And then the meeting with the Fellbird! Oh, such a loving display to make a wonderful child, it was simply stunning. "Happy" was a terrible word to describe his feelings. Ecstatic, delighted, jubilation, euphoria: all of these would fall short, but they would have to suffice.

With that, he turned his attention towards the egg. Between all the acidic sludge that surrounded the area and its likely very durable shell, considering its parents, it would likely be fine. Nevertheless, !#%$ felt a sense of urgency when it came to hatching it, or perhaps that was just impatience due to his giddiness. He supposed it could be that he felt the need to follow up, when the gods of this half of the world no doubt heard the screech of his new creation, and undoubtedly saw the majestic Fellbird in flight on its trip over.

Or perhaps the encounter with Bastet had made him nervous. No, that's absurd.

It was then, though, that as he sat upon his ethereal disco ball in Cogus that he felt a prick, making him jump up in surprise.

A crystal.

No, this wouldn't do. Such an intrusion on his sacred ground... or, the closest thing he had to sacred ground, at any rate. It was then that he noticed its effects on the world below. No, this would do even less. Especially with that egg outside. He was fine with sharing this creature's creation with Horus, in part: his work seemed respectable enough. He created the Fellbird, how could he not be a rad guy? Hell, even Corves had a hand in this creation, as well, but from the little they had interacted, !#%$ could already feel they were birds of a feather. To have Bastet influence this creature's existence, though? No, that would not do at all. Despite his words, !#%$ did feel the need to protect at least this one entity, as much as he didn't want to admit it.

!#%$ considered the situation carefully.

Finally coming upon a decision, !#%$ chose to move the egg. Specifically, to the the southern pole of the planet, completely opposite from the planet's crown, and thus no doubt mostly, if not entirely safe from the crystal's light. Horus' penguin-like creations rested there, after all; perhaps he might even take some responsibility over this offspring that was basically a descendant of his and have them protect it in some way, or something.

Rolled a 58.

!#%$ could only hope that the acidic slime that came from his own gullet that covered the Writh would be enough to protect it from this other gods' influence, although its wounded state did worry him slightly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

Horus was shaken when he looked up to the Great Meeting, which is the classification he would use from now on as he did not want to call it a "beautiful display of love". It was, for lack of a better word, horrifying in every regard. It was...

...wait, he could actually find better words: vulgar, indecent, x-rated, bawdy, coarse, erotic, filthy, gross, hard-core, immodest, immoral, improper, impure, in bad taste, incontinent, indelicate, lascivious, lecherous, lewd, libertine, libidinous, liscentious, lustful, naughty, obscene, off-color, profligate, questionable, racy, rakish, ribald, risque, salacious, scandalous, scurrilous, shameless, taboo, unclean, unconventional, unvirtuous, vile, wicked...just plain not-Christian, or whatever name your penguin baby will be given. He felt dirty just knowing that it was an event that occurred and that he was indirectly involved in it.

...urgh...

But to be fair, it did produce this lovely egg that has suddenly appeared in the penguin lands. That's pretty nice. Maybe the combination of the two most horrible creatures ever created may produce something...not? Maybe?

Horus got up from his chair. He saw the grief the fish had to go through and saw the kind acts of the tribe. It almost seemed like it was through some invisible hand. The fish would get to its destination rather quickly now. Maybe the Fellbird would see this gift and start worship for the little god that could. Corralling it would be the best thing right now. Especially since he doesn't want...that...to happen again.
And he saw the tribes that aided him. He knew he'd have to return the favor, but he can't do anything on the ground yet. He has to save that moment. He'd have to leave them be for now.

...then again...maybe there's a way they can be aware of his help.

Thankfully, he has the perfect way to use his enhanced power.

He looked to the rivers, then to the icecap. It's time for his namesake to return to the forefront. He's the falcon god, gosh darnit.

He focused on the entirety of the rocky mountainside surrounding the river. With his rested power, this would not be a problem at all. He then willed the rocky terrain to form a new type of falcon. These falcons, born of the rock, would be naturally resistant to many ills of the world, including potential sludge and acid from the fellbird's presence. They would also be naturally engaged in the well-being of the Ayla and Leyar tribes, to the point that a few of those tribesmen would be able to tame the lesser falcons if they so desired. Regardless, they would aid the tribesmen in any way they can.
Meanwhile, the falcons would be naturally friendly to the penguins of the south, as they shared a creator. The benefits of aided relief to the tribes near the metal forest as well as the penguins of the south would make traversing the river easier for those three groups.

He held his makeshift die up in the air, then cast his roll in an albeit overdramatic action. TIME TO FLY!

Rolled a 70

"Whew!"

Horus stumbled for a moment, tired from his overdramatic spiel. He stretched and decided to use his Free Action to enjoy a nice beverage. He peeked into the GODLY REFRESHMENT LOUNGE to make sure no one was inside. He didn't want to socialize. He likes to be helpful to the other gods, sure, and if they ever needed help, he'd probably end up doing it just so they wouldn't bother him again, but he'd be happy to avoid social interaction. He walked to the fridge and looked inside.
Water. He's had enough of water.
Fresh-squeezed orange juice. Wonder who decided to make oranges.
Coca-cola? The penguins weren't due for that beverage to appear until years later when the polar bear traders get created.

Hm...
He decided to go with orange juice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:13 am 

Because who gives a !#%$ about when or where !#%$ is (with Corves? On Cogus? With the Great Curiosity??? WHO KNOWS), he just so happened to show up in the holy lounge of nonsense to greet good ol' Horus. "Hey there, buddy!" he said with a large smirk and a pat on the back, "Fancy meeting you here."

With that, !#%$ put his arm on Horus' shoulder in a friendly manner, going on, "Just wanted to say, you've been doing a great job! That giant cavern into the depths of the planet? Great fun, looks hella imposing, let me tell you, and I'm sure I don't even have to mention how awe-inspiring the Fellbird is, had to store some power and get another dude's help to even come close to making a worthy partner for it, let me tell you. Speaking of, I'm sure you'll do juuuust fiiine in watching over our little grandbaby, eh? Might be a bit unpleasant for the penguin fellows you got goin' down there, but I'm sure it won't liquify too many of them before it realizes they were there to watch over it, y'know?"

!#%$ stood there with a surprisingly sincere-looking grin as he awaited any sort of answer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:30 am 
Site Admin

Elby wrote:
Because who gives a !#%$ about when or where !#%$ is (with Corves? On Cogus? With the Great Curiosity??? WHO KNOWS), he just so happened to show up in the holy lounge of nonsense to greet good ol' Horus. "Hey there, buddy!" he said with a large smirk and a pat on the back, "Fancy meeting you here."

With that, !#%$ put his arm on Horus' shoulder in a friendly manner, going on, "Just wanted to say, you've been doing a great job! That giant cavern into the depths of the planet? Great fun, looks hella imposing, let me tell you, and I'm sure I don't even have to mention how awe-inspiring the Fellbird is, had to store some power and get another dude's help to even come close to making a worthy partner for it, let me tell you. Speaking of, I'm sure you'll do juuuust fiiine in watching over our little grandbaby, eh? Might be a bit unpleasant for the penguin fellows you got goin' down there, but I'm sure it won't liquify too many of them before it realizes they were there to watch over it, y'know?"

!#%$ stood there with a surprisingly sincere-looking grin as he awaited any sort of answer.

Horus almost spat out his orange juice at the sudden pat on the back. Oh no. Socializing.

He looks up at the imposing, yet otherwise plain figure talking to him, the arm on his shoulder, while friendly, was foreign in his comfort zone of a single pixel of real space. It felt as if the arm was the heaviest thing a god could lift to Horus.

In his mind, a thousand "please leave"s echoed throughout, as if it was swallowing the recesses of his innermost thoughts. But he couldn't leave that impression.

A-a-appearance is important.

"A-ah, yes, you...um...yes. T-the fellbird wasn't...e-entirely...I mean, grandbaby?! I don't...It wasn't...Uh...liquify?...yes, right...uh, huh..." Horus nodded rather forcefully, trying hard to not look entirely out of place in this god-like...lounge area. He squeezed the orange juice box in his hand to relieve the evergrowing tension in his chest. Social interaction is not a strong suit.

Wait...liquify? Did he just say liquify?!

"Wait...I-I don't think it'd be good for m-my penguins to liquify! I've...I mean, I have plans for them!" Horus looked up at !#%$, or Huey as he was now known to Horus. Inside of the shadowy visage in Horus's hood, a worried expression could be seen in his two wide eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:38 am 

"Relaaaax!" Huey !#%$ said, "Like I said, I'm sure it won't be too many. Gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet. Well, bad example, since the egg's the one doing the breaking to others in this case, but you get the idea, right?" With a pat atop Horus' head, he went on, "It'll all pay off in the long run, can bring him back to the other half to really have some fun when it's ready." He looked around shiftily to make sure no one--a very specific one, in this case--was listening, before finishing in a much quieter and more sinister tone with "Who knows, might even end up being our greatest weapon against that catty !#%$."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:49 am 
Site Admin

Horus was still unnerved by all of this, but the mention of the catgirl reminds him.

"H-her! She's trying to...!" He drops his OJ box and grasps Huey's shirt, an expression of horror on his face.

He immediately stops himself, his arms slacking to his side, and he looked down at the crushed orange juice box, the contents being spilled on the floor.

He then gave out a tired sigh. "M-maybe you're right."

...it was then that an idea flashed in his mind.

"Wait...you! Y-you could help me!"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:51 am 

!#%$'s expression quickly turned a bit confused at all this, but at the final sentence, a friendly grin quickly returned. "That's the spirit!" he shouted with another pat on the back, "Us gods making things of true beauty, we gotta work together. So anything to help a pal out."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:58 am 
Site Admin

Horus abhorred what he was about to say, but he knew it was something that needed to be done. He needed to help the Fellbird. Even a monstrous blight upon Ayotilian life needed to be saved.

He knew the results have not been foreseen yet and he knew what he was about to ask of would be of an extreme detriment to everything he held dear, but he knew it was his only chance. He will own his mistakes.

"I..."

Horus looked down, his eyes tensely closed as he brought up the will to say what he needed to say. He then looked up to his so-called brother-in-arms, a fierce look in his eyes.

"I need you...to babysit."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:05 am 

The confused expression returned. "Babysit?" he asked, "Isn't that what I'm asking you to do? Or do you mean the penguins, are you still held up on that? I suppose I could maybe keep them from being liquified, possibly. Or is there something else you've made that I missed? Oooh, did you make the Fellbird a lackey? Or even a master? Far be it from me to assume the Fellbird's the greatest extent of your powers, after all. Oh man, whatever it is you mean, I'd be happy to look after it." he went on, rubbing his hands together in anticipation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:20 am 
Site Admin

Elby wrote:
The confused expression returned. "Babysit?" he asked, "Isn't that what I'm asking you to do? Or do you mean the penguins, are you still held up on that? I suppose I could maybe keep them from being liquified, possibly. Or is there something else you've made that I missed? Oooh, did you make the Fellbird a lackey? Or even a master? Far be it from me to assume the Fellbird's the greatest extent of your powers, after all. Oh man, whatever it is you mean, I'd be happy to look after it." he went on, rubbing his hands together in anticipation.

Horus blinked. This guy, man...he's totally trustworthy.

Sigh...you gotta roll with the punches. That's at least one lesson this god can teach you.

Well, time to give off a show of your best confidence acting.

"I want you to take care of my duties for a few turns moments. Keep the river safe, make sure the giant fish gets to the fellbird in time, it'd be great if you could deal with the liquify thing...but specifically, I want you to figure out what to do about the flying catgirls. They've...they can't be allowed to continue with this. T-they're using my mis-...my Fellbird to become godlike and it's...heresy! That's right, heresy! The word I wanted was..." Horus was sputtering, but then calmed down a little, "Heresy."

Horus looked at Huey Lewis once more with a show of confidence. "If it works out, the result will be greater than anything else the world has to offer. It will be...glorious."

And it was true, to be honest.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:30 am 

Huey's grin grew ever-the-wider at that. "Now that is a cause I can get behind. You go do your thing, and I'll make sure your fish's propelled by jet engines by the end of the hour." he cheered happily. "As for the penguins, uh... maybe I can give them... some of my stomach lining or something..." he went on, more thinking aloud than anything at this point as his mind wandered off.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:38 am 
Site Admin

Horus watched as Huey just kept sputtering on about it. This was a huge gamble. A huge mistake.

...no! This won't be a mistake. Well, okay, putting him in charge of his delicate creatures was kind of a mistake, but what Horus was planning couldn't fail.

He was about to walk away when he slipped. Whoazey!

He landed on the ground with a thud. The dang orange juice!

"Ow...I-I'm okay." Horus just laid on the ground, slightly dazed for a moment. "Would you mind grabbing the mop from the closet?"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:46 am 

"Yes!" Huey cheered, "I can use a mop to clean up their remains!... Wait, no, that wasn't the problem at all, was it." Musing to himself, he apparently actually acknowledged the request on some level, as he headed for the closet. As he opened it, Jeff's passed-out self would find itself tumbling to the floor below.

"Ah, here it is." Huey said to himself as he grabbed the mop, not even acknowledging what just happened as he made his way back, lost in thought, with the mop.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next