Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:20 am 

Image Since there was a broad enough appeal for its return, here comes the ever exciting, ever-lasting, unpredictable game of Apples to Apples, hosted by yours truly!

For those unfamiliar with the game, Apples to Apples is a game about matching words with adjectives. The trick here, however, is everyone's definition of a certain word is different. Whereas one person would say "insects" for "abomination", another would say "my last haircut" or "The Twilight Saga". It's all about knowing the people around here.

Everyone is dealt a set of 7 cards called "Red Apples". These all contain nouns and (new to my version) a description on the card giving a brief primer on the person, place, or thing in your hand.

One player plays the role of the "judge" for a turn, and then it moves on to the next person, in order. The judge is the one who dictates what a specific card means to him/her. They will draw a "Green Apple" card, which details an adjective. The other players must then choose one of their Red Apples to give to the judge, and the judge must then decide, without knowing who gave what card, which Red Apple best matches the Green Apple he/she drew. The one who gave the Red Apple card chosen by the judge gets the Green Apple as a reward. The play then moves on to the next person to be a judge and repeats until a set number of Green Apples is collected by one player, designating them as the winner.

A turn works like this:

Spoiler: click to show
JUDGE: *draws Green Apple "alarming"*
Player 1: *gives Red Apple "fire"*
Player 2: *gives Red Apple "shark"*
Player 3: *gives Red Apple "clock"*
JUDGE: *picks "clock" as his/her word to go with "alarming"*
Player 3 is awarded a Green Apple
Player 1 is now the new JUDGE
All players who were not the judge are given a new Red Apple to replace the ones they used

It's a very simple game to play and all are welcome.

Now, since we are playing the game through an internet connection as opposed to at a table like you're supposed to, this game won't go nearly as quickly as the classic version will. There are also a few variations that need to be put into place.

#1: I will designate myself as the host. That means that I cannot part take in the actual game. Instead, I will keep track of everyone's cards and will do the necessary shuffling for when it comes for the time for a judge to pick his/her Red Apple.

#2: All Red Apples are to be sent to me via PMs. NEVER LET ANYONE KNOW WHAT YOUR HAND IS TO OTHER PLAYERS! This ruins part of the fun of the game. I will send the initial 7 Red Apples and any replacement Red Apples via PMs too. Green Apples, however, will be shown on this thread.

#3: To keep things rolling, after the Green Apple has been drawn, I will wait no longer than 3 days for players to respond. If I can get your submissions in sooner, then I will post the results for the judge sooner. After two days, I will issue a reminder to make sure you submit your answer for the judge to me. Once 3 days are up, you will be exempt from this turn and miss out on getting a Green Apple.

#4: The judge themselves can't actually draw the Green Apples. I will do so for you. When I do, there will be a post in this thread. Once I get all the Red Apples from other players, I will post the results here too. Anything to do with the hand, however, will be done through PMs.

I hope that sums things up nicely. So who wants in?!

Leaderboard

Current Game
Pikmanipulator - 2
McKnackus I - 1
DoM - 1
Super Penguin M - 1
Bacon Supreme - 1
Elby - 3
FSLAR - 0

Win Condition: 5

Previous Winners
May 11th, 2013 - Raxy (Normal)
Inspirational
Important
Woebegone
Ancient

September 16th, 2013 - Ruki Motomiya (Poison Apples)
Colorful
Powerful
Awesome
Offensive

Last edited by The Great B-Man on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:31 am, edited 56 times in total.

Rule Variations

Classic - The game everyone knows full well. Every player gets 7 Red Apples and takes turn playing the Judge. Whoever has the set Green Apples at the end is the winner.
Poison Apple - Same as Classic, but now the Host will also have a hand of Red Apples, which are considered "Poison Apples." If you happen to pick the Poison Apple, you LOSE a Green Apple.
Apple Turnovers - A switch-a-roo of Classic. Players are dealt 5 Green Apple cards instead and the Judge draws one Red Apple card. Players must choose a Green Apple card from their hand that they think best describes the Red Apple drawn. Whoever wins the set amount of Red Apples is the winner.
Crab Apples - A change in judging, when choosing which Red Apple to describe the Green Apple, choose the least likely answer (ie. picking "Justin Bieber" for "Sexy").
Apple Potpourri - For some random fun, players hand out their Red Apple card before a Green Apple is even shown!
2 for 1 Apples - What a deal! Two Green Apples are shown instead of one! And it will still only cost you one Red Apple, but now you have to make sure it describes both Green Apples!

Feel free to suggest any other variations for future games.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:27 pm 

Ill join, sounds fun.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:10 pm 

Sign me up, sir!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:18 pm 

joining! Also, I think we should do Poison Apples as well so B can join in.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:25 pm 

sure

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:44 pm 

I'll join because why not

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:02 pm 

i thought this was a pony thread at first

i'll try to keep up

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:35 pm 

I'll take ALL THE APPLES IN THE WORLD.
Or the five that you give me.

is it even five
I don't even remember
and rereading rules is hard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:03 am 

Bacon Supreme wrote:
i thought this was a pony thread at first

i'll try to keep up

I would of locked it on sight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:46 am 

Image Seven players sounds like a good bunch... Okay, let's do this! We'll start the game with Classic rules. Any future matches will have variations though. Need to get the new players into the swing of things and all that.

I have randomly chosen Super Penguin M to be our first judge. The one next in line on the list on the Leaderboard on the first page will go next until we hit the bottom, then loop back to the top.

So, Mr. Penguin, here is the first Green Apple to be judged!

Primitive
prehistoric
primal
uncivilized

Now then, all who are NOT the Judge (meaning everyone except Super Penguin M), send me 1 of your Red Apples I just sent to you guys.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:34 pm 

Do you want just the name of the card, or the little description bit, too?
I went ahead and did the latter already to be sure, but I figured I'd ask.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:48 pm 

Image I just need the name. I only gave the descriptions for your own benefits so you don't have moments where I get a "I have no idea who/what this is so I'll play this card".

Anyway, moving right along, lemme say that I'm proud of you guys: I got all the cards needed in under a day! Let's keep this motivation going!

Now then, Super Penguin, here are you choices:

Red Apples
Ginkgo Trees
George Washington
Abraham Lincoln
Steve Martin
Sean Connery
The 1980s

Image I am fairly amused by the fact that two people thought of past presidents...and two other people thought of older celebrities.

We got people with similar brain functions. A pretty good sign of things to come.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:21 pm 

Ginkgo Tree - I have never heard of this tree before, so I had to look it up. Apparently it is a species of tree so old that it has no close living relatives. The more you know.

George Washington - This is 'Murica. And anything older than 'Murica is considered primitive. George Washing barely fits that category because he had to have been alive to invent 'Murica. While searching for the evil Cherry Tree, George Washing needed to seek the guidance of the Old Man Ginkgo Tree. Immediately afterwards, George Washington chopped down Old Man Ginkgo Tree with his Liberty Ax.

Abraham Lincoln - As George Washington's sidekick, Lincoln contributed to George Washington's team of Super Presidents by creating the Log Cabin Of Solitude, which is NOT older the 'Murica.

Steve Martin - I don't remember the last time I watched a Steven Martin movie. Does that make him primitive?

Sean Connery - >Implying Sean Connery is anything other than the Omega.

1980s - I'm not sure how old this time period is, but I'm pretty sure it's older than 'Murica.

Winner:
Ginkgo Tree

Because Old Man Ginkgo Tree was already ancient by the time George Washington reached him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next