Dashed Expectations

We work and drive little
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:22 pm 

Image So over at GameFAQs, they're doing a silly little popularity contest to see what the "greatest game of all time" is. It's an annual tradition for them, really.

Anyway, someone decided to create their own sorting algorithm to actually determine your own personal list of the best games of all time! Anybody remember that one website Joizashmo posted a while back that had you pick your favourite movies out of two different ones? It's like that, but limited to the games in the GameFAQs tournament.

You can give it a try right here: http://slimedrippings.tumblr.com/gamefaqssort

In the mean time, here's my Top 50 (it goes beyond 50 but I figured it was good to stop here since a lot beyond 50 I never played before):

This should come as no surprise. I have stated time and again Super Mario Bros. 3 is a masterpiece, and Super Metroid gave birth to my favourite genre of all time so those being up top were obvious.

Still, seeing it come out like this was a bit of a surprise. I expected Super Mario World to be higher, for example, and maybe the Galaxies as well. And it seems I really do consider Melee the superior Smash title after all. And this is just a gripe, but wow, how does GameFAQs determine just what are the "best of the best" for voting? Where's Phantasy Star IV? But I digress.

Let's see yours!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:01 pm 

Question, Resident Evil REmake or the original PS1 game? I'm pretty sure it is the REmake, but I would love to know. Can't disagree with this list unless I have not played said game. Besides maybe Fire Emblem Awakening, I prefer Path of Radiance personally, and Twilight Princess due to my own gripes (HD could change that).

oh yeah, Joiz. forgot about him. What happened to that dude?

"See, their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:23 pm 

FSLAR wrote:
Question, Resident Evil REmake or the original PS1 game? I'm pretty sure it is the REmake, but I would love to know. Can't disagree with this list unless I have not played said game. Besides maybe Fire Emblem Awakening, I prefer Path of Radiance personally, and Twilight Princess due to my own gripes (HD could change that).

oh yeah, Joiz. forgot about him. What happened to that dude?

Image I wasn't sure which version of Resident Evil it was, either. I had assumed REmake, but on the other hand, they probably would have mentioned that in the polls. This is what happens when companies give the exact same name to games in the franchise...oi.

In regards to Path of Radiance, it actually isn't in the polls at all of GameFAQs, so that's just one of several games that isn't in this list. It isn't really a true list since having every single game would be quite tasking (though not impossible as that movie one exists) but it'll do for now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:29 pm 

1 Super Mario Galaxy
2 Paper Mario
3 Smash Bros. Melee
4 DK Country 2
5 Super Mario 64
6 Sonic the Hedgehog 2
7 Super Mario World
8 Undertale
9 Super Mario Galaxy 2
10 Zelda: The Wind Waker
11 Paper Mario: TYD
12 Banjo-Kazooie
13 Portal
14 Team Fortress 2
15 Animal Crossing New Leaf
16 Portal 2
17 Super Mario Bros. 3
18 Pokemon X/Y
19 Halo: Combat Evolved
20 Smash Bros. Wii U
21 Pokemon Gold/Silver
22 Pokemon Red/Blue
23 Half-Life 2
24 Cave Story *
25 Super Mario Maker
26 Zelda: Ocarina of Time
27 Mario Kart 8
27 Final Fantasy Tactics **
27 Resident Evil 2
30 Zelda: Twilight Princess
31 Shovel Knight *
32 Metroid Prime
33 GoldenEye 007
33 Morrowind **
33 Demon's Souls **
36 Starcraft

*only played a bit
**never played

Odd how some of the games I had no opinion on ranked higher than some I did.

It's worth noting that if Guacamelee and Donkey Kong Country 3 were on this list they would rank pretty high too. DKC3 would probably be just below Melee (I prefer it over DKC2) and Guacamelee would probably be #2 just below Mario Galaxy. Speedrunners would probably rank pretty high too. Dr. Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine also has a special place in my heart, even if it's not actually it's own game. Interesting to see Undertale usurping some of my all-time greats as well. Also kinda funny to see Halo: Combat Evolved making it on the list solely for it's wonky vehicle and grenade physics.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:10 am 

Only including my top 22 since everything beyond that is a game I haven't played.

There aren't enough games on this thing! I actually prefer the original Donkey Kong Country to 2 (or at least, the GBA port of the original), Pokémon Black/White is my favorite Pokémon game, and I'm surprised that not a single Kirby game showed up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:05 am 

The orders a little messed up in a few places, but yeah, pretty accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:19 pm 

Here's my top 40, since everything past that is largely (but not entirely) games I haven't played.

Spoiler: click to show

I had a hard time with a lot of these choices, so much so that I feel like this list would be different every time I made it. It's probably more worthwhile looking at it in chunks, 1-5 would probably stay in the top five, 6-15 I could all see being in pretty much any order, but staying in the 6-15 positions, pretty much the same story with 16-25, and... past that it could be in pretty much any order, really. SHRUG. All I know is, this makes the third list with Metroid Prime and Super Metroid both in the top three (although Dark Souls and Super Metroid are tied for third, looking at it, BUT STILL).

Possibly more interesting might be the games I've played that didn't make it up this high. All credit to Minecraft and Halo for being tied for the lowest position of games I have played (I have a LOT of games tied for 84th, as it turns out). Then there's World of Warcraft at 83, Age of Empires II at 82, Super Mario Bros. 3 at 81 (which I probably just need to give a good chance again, I've only played it for all of one sitting where I almost but not entirely beat it after buying it on the Virtual Console, haven't played it before or since that, so, that's just me being bad). Then I have a LOT of games tied again at position 42, the games I've actually played among it being Borderlands 2, Team Fortress 2, Binding of Isaac (technically I haven't played Rebirth but WHATEVER MAN IT'S THE SAME GAME), and Tetris (which, is, certainly Tetris). Then poor Super Mario Galaxy 2 barely didn't make the cut for the list at 41. I don't even know if I like it or Galaxy 1 more, but it never made me make that choice, so SHRUG.